Movie - One Piece Live Action | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the thread, I have been waiting to discuss this in depth and have a lot of thoughts about it. I was so excited when i first heard the news and been planning to discuss it in detail. To begin with, atleast the good news is its a TV series, a Movie would've been an instant failure... If done well, it can reach the success of GoT, or atleast exceed the current comic based TV adaptations..

Here are a few critics in my opinion of things, when compared to similar ideas and how One Piece TV adaptation can fair in comparison.

One of the things Hollywood, or even the west is accused of is Whitewashing. DBZ was terrible, so was The last airbender. Even Ghost in the Shell was a flop. All these movies were adapted from Manga / anime but the characters were all so poorly chosen that fan backlash already ruined them even before the casting.
However, One Piece can be free of these accusations. Oda has already stated which countries the strawhats would originate from, already giving an ethnic background to them. So at least the casting should be free of this accusation, atleast for certain characters.

I also think One Piece offers a better platform for a live-action adaptation than other fantasy genres. While Naruto, Bleach or DBZ characters can look like an eclectic mix in casting, a lot of the narrative and even location seems closely tied to Japan. One Piece creates this world of fiction with incredible detail which, if adapted correctly can appeal to a larger audience and specially with the adventure narrative. Everyone loves Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Back to the future etc, and I can see One Piece have a similar narrative mix of light hearted humor and a serious plot to go along.The linear structure of the storyline also helps align with the many arcs so beautifuly, Season1 can be east blue, season 2 grandline till alabasta, etc.

One thing would be tough is to please the anime fans. No matter how good or talented the actor is, we all have a defined expectation on how the events will unfold, how Luffy's expression would be etc. That will be hard. Even so, the audience if disappointed with the TV adaptation, they'll compare it to the anime which will draw a larger audience, so its still a big deal for Oda.

I am excited for this, hopefully HBO or Netflix pick it up..... Any ideas on the casting?

Styx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I don't know what to think about it. I haven't seen a good anime to live action film yet, so I have my deeply rooted doubts, however...it is One Piece and I have to give it a shot whenever it is done. I really hope it won't fail/be terrible.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the last good adaptation was Edge of Tomorrow (based on All you need is Kill)..... not sure if Road to Perdition counts.

EDIT:
Nevermind, all you need is kill was a manga based on the novel so it doesnt really count.

Last edited:

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I think the last good adaptation was Edge of Tomorrow (based on All you need is Kill)..... not sure if Road to Perdition counts.
Edge of Tomorrow had an anime? I thought it was adapted from a Japanese novel?

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I just checked, the manga came after or along with the movie and was based on teh novel so it doesnt count.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Oh god NO. OP and it's humor wouldn't translate well to live action... OP relies too much on the simple fact that it is drawn... Trying to convey any of it through live action would at best be cringeworthy. There are plenty of mangas which could potentially work in this medium while making relatively small concessions gag wise assuming there is decent writing, directing and special effects. Live action bleach? Bring it. Live action naruto? Plausible. Like action BNHK? less plausible but still within the realm of possibilities. OP? Absolutely not, remove the cartoonish aspect and it simply doesn't work. Dragon ball (in it's latter stages when toriyama toned down his brand of humor) is more than doable as live action however hollywood butchered it to the point where most of us after watching it went home and hit out heads against the wall until we forgot every scene. But this has the potential to be far worst.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well it depends how its made.... Humor is a very critical part and as long as the adaptation is true, i can see a potential of the series becoming big..

Anyways, its still in the announcement stage, realistically it will not even happen. I am still hoping Naoki Urasawa's Monster is adapted cos that would fit the TV medium better than any other story i know, but looks like thats not happening anymore. Same with OP i am sure. Bigger budget doesnt guarantee it.

keeper1h

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I don't know, OP Live Action has been done GREATLY until now, and more than once.
VIDEO
And then there's that Dragon Ball movie that makes me wish... sorry, I can't understand them, even my wishes about that movie are crying. :"(
I hope they'll do a great job with OP...!

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't matter if it becomes a bad live action (dragon ball) or a good one (idk). Not even one of these guys who made these live action movie or series intended it to be bad. They give their best when making it. Our technology is improving so would the live action. If it is Japan who is making it then I will be more relieved since they won't decide to put one of the best manga in the history into a dumpster like US does.

Look what they are doing to Death Note. Hate it when they don't stick to the actual plot.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Oh feck no. Here I've been a strong opposer to the Cowboy Bebop live-action for as long as I can remember (since that's my #1 work of entertainment all categories). Still, compared to live-action One Piece, Cowboy Bebop seems like a great idea. That's how terrible I feel about this project. At least they could pull off something like a Cowboy Bebop-y vibe in live action. One Piece seems impossible. Like kkck said, these characters and settings, all the gags, everything works simply because of the cartoon aspect. And One Piece without its humor, given the "serious" treatment and, even worse, americanizing it... the thought makes me shudder.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well its never been done only means its a new challenge... I am still a bit optimistic and glad there is an attempt... If it doesn't work out, they don't go out of east blue. grandline and beyond is where the show's potential is tested. If it does well till east blue, it will keep improving and gathering larger audience.

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
@kkck I think the best "big" Manga they could adapt to live for a western audience is Detective Conan and it is really weird that no one has tried so far. Easy to make and has a formula that is proven to work as it is the same as in any other crime show.

Anyways One Piece cannot work. It is too much CGI for any budget. Game of Thrones couldn't even animate some wolves, Luffy alone should be pricy af.

Then there is the length. If Netflix really intends a seasonal show, then that would mean they would need to plan for 12+ seasons to adapt the entire story.

Netflix actually doesn't have much money. They have high production standards but are hard-capped as anything they do is built on an ever increasing amount of debts.

Don't get me wrong, One Piece is huge but it's target audience(Teens, young adults) is too small to become the next Game of Thrones.

So there are two options:

1. It doesn't work out
2. It does work out until Netflix goes bankrupt over it.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I'm making this..hmmm...

Season 1 - East Blue up to Sanji, ending with Luffy and Sanji sailing to rescue Nami
Season 2 - Start with Nami, end after Little Garden, Nami is sick, off to Drum Island!
Season 3 - Drum Island, Alabasta
Season 4 - Jaya, Skypea
Season 5 - Water 7, Enies Lobby
Season 6 - Thriller Bark, Saobody
Season 7 - Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Post Marine ford (and cut with the stories of the rest of the crew)
Season 8 - Time skip, fishman Island, Punk Hazard
Season 9 - Dressrosa, Zou
Season 10 - WCI, Wano

Lol, this thing would cost so much money to do right...good luck to them! I'm thinking 10 episode seasons.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
However, One Piece can be free of these accusations. Oda has already stated which countries the strawhats would originate from, already giving an ethnic background to them. So at least the casting should be free of this accusation, atleast for certain characters.
Oh my sweet summerchild. Inb4 a black sanji, since many french people are of color. If they want a diverse cast, they will do it, they dont care about the sourcematerial in this regard.

Also i am not happy with his. Bleach was a nice movieadaption, but One Piece as a Series is way to goofy to make a good split between fun and badassery.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
If I'm making this..hmmm...

Season 1 - East Blue up to Sanji, ending with Luffy and Sanji sailing to rescue Nami
Season 2 - Start with Nami, end after Little Garden, Nami is sick, off to Drum Island!
Season 3 - Drum Island, Alabasta
Season 4 - Jaya, Skypea
Season 5 - Water 7, Enies Lobby
Season 6 - Thriller Bark, Saobody
Season 7 - Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Post Marine ford (and cut with the stories of the rest of the crew)
Season 8 - Time skip, fishman Island, Punk Hazard
Season 9 - Dressrosa, Zou
Season 10 - WCI, Wano

Lol, this thing would cost so much money to do right...good luck to them! I'm thinking 10 episode seasons.
That seems really off, you shorten down on East Blue but put together the much longer later arcs.

But they can't really do more than East Blue in Season 1 if they want to do it properly.

Deleted member 169696

Maybe they should focus more on the quality of the series and not so much on cast diversity?

Black Sanji is something I cannot even imagine. Besides there's Usopp...

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Black Sanji is something I cannot even imagine.
I couldnt imagine a black L, yet he wasnt the worsed part of death note. Same for the indian Triss Merigold(i still cannot believe this casting), where i am just happy that she doesnt have a big role. but for the SH-crew they arent divers enough for this timeline believe me.

In case of storytelling they will have to skip a lot(obviously), so the first few episodes should normally go like this:

1. Luffy and Zoro are introduced, ends with them sailing away.
2. Entire buggy"arc", introducing Nami.
3. Entire Usopparc.
4. Entire Sanjiarc (Mihawk just oneshots Zoro)
5. Arlongpark until the big fights, cliffhanger with Luffy bursting open the door.
6. Fights and arlongparkresolved.
7. Logue town
8. Shortly handled Laboon + Whiskey Peak(honestly just let them party hard and zoro then kills them, no need for baroqueagents yet).
9. Drum starts
10. Drum ends and chopper joins.

End season 1. Episodes should range from 40 minutes to 1 hour. It needs to be rushed to be kinda entertaining for the masses i believe. Romance dawn can be skipped and just bond in through little flashbacks (just implying shanks without needing a cast etc.)

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
That seems really off, you shorten down on East Blue but put together the much longer later arcs.

But they can't really do more than East Blue in Season 1 if they want to do it properly.
I don't think i'm putting together long arcs. Drum Island is a pretty small arc, could be 3 episodes. Alabasta takes the rest. Jaya/Skypea is one arc really, same with water 7/Enies lobby. In the beginning you have shorter arcs because they were shorter in the manga. Later on your season is just 1 arc because they are so long. The only long ones I'm combining are WCI and Wano I guess, but you solve that by eliminating a lot of the stalling (like the never ending chase in WCI!)

Ultimately you have to make cuts, my idea is one way, i'm sure there are others that would work as well.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Maybe they should focus more on the quality of the series and not so much on cast diversity?

Black Sanji is something I cannot even imagine. Besides there's Usopp...
That's a silly comment. Maybe focusing on quality leads to casting a black Sanji? Who even said anything about this?

I couldn't imagine a black Nick Fury until Sam Jackson took the role. Just cast great actors. I'd rather that than focus on "look". That's how you end up with Finn Jones as Iron Fist even though he can't act or fight!
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I couldnt imagine a black L, yet he wasnt the worsed part of death note. Same for the indian Triss Merigold(i still cannot believe this casting), where i am just happy that she doesnt have a big role. but for the SH-crew they arent divers enough for this timeline believe me.

In case of storytelling they will have to skip a lot(obviously), so the first few episodes should normally go like this:

1. Luffy and Zoro are introduced, ends with them sailing away.
2. Entire buggy"arc", introducing Nami.
3. Entire Usopparc.
4. Entire Sanjiarc (Mihawk just oneshots Zoro)
5. Arlongpark until the big fights, cliffhanger with Luffy bursting open the door.
6. Fights and arlongparkresolved.
7. Logue town
8. Shortly handled Laboon + Whiskey Peak(honestly just let them party hard and zoro then kills them, no need for baroqueagents yet).
9. Drum starts
10. Drum ends and chopper joins.

End season 1. Episodes should range from 40 minutes to 1 hour. It needs to be rushed to be kinda entertaining for the masses i believe. Romance dawn can be skipped and just bond in through little flashbacks (just implying shanks without needing a cast etc.)
That's a lot of truncating. I honestly think Season 1 ends with them going to the Grand Line, or my idea of ending it at the end of Sanji arc (which allows you to do Luffy/Zoro, Nami and Buggy, Usopp, and then Sanji, ending with Luffy and Sanji sailing to Arlong park).