Final - One Piece Tournament 2015 - Sabo vs Doflamingo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final One Piece Tournament 2015 - Sabo vs Doflamingo

Who wins the tournament?

• Sabo

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Donquixote Doflamingo

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Voting Rules:

• Bo16 onwards battles are 1 vs 1.
  • Starting with the Quarterfinals, discussion and voting will end on the same day.
  • You may vote for one character in this fight.
  • So you voted early and someone/something changed your mind? You can use the "unvote" function at the top right of the vote box and try again.

Sabo
Doflamingo

Voting will end on: November 20

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Heaven or hell, let's rock.:XD

This one should be pretty obvious. Sabo of course.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
This is the finals most predicted. I'm gonna give this to DD. he should literally outclass Sabo in every aspect. Sabo is just a novice with his DF while DD has mastered his even to the point of awakening. DD has a lot more experience, is very durable and has a very versatile fruit. DD takes this. ggwp

I Am Atomic

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't Sabo's haki way more better than DD's? He rose to the position of 2nd in the revolutionary army without any DF powers, so Mera Mera no mi is just an addition to his actual power. Sabo is also the brother of Luffy and Ace which is enough said to give him an extra consideration of how strong and enduring he will be. We also do not know how strong Sabo is tbh. DD has his awakening but we do not know what Sabo's secret technique might be. His dragon claw attack might be one of the basic and weakest of his attacks, like how luffy always starts with gomu gomu no pistol.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
There's no basis for gauging who's haki is stronger. DD definitely has a lot more experience with it though. Also, not having a fruit isn't exactly a unprecedented feat. You have likes of zoro and sanji who are incredibly powerful among their peers without DF. Sabo is still very much a novice with his fruit so it wouldn't really help much here. As for Sabo being 2nd in revolutionary army, well DD is a shichibukia and was possibly the most influential person in the new world prior to his defeat. Being Ace and Sabo's brother doesn't mean much here. Luffy would have lost to DD in dressrosa and Ace tied with Jinbei who was another shichibukia. In the end, it doesn't mean anything.

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doflamingo wins. He has an extremely versatile DF. Sabo is still a novice DF user so he would not be able to use it very effectively. Doflamingo has awakening. Thanks to his abilities he's able to repair his bodily organs if necessary. He is an absolute beast. I don't think Sabo could take him in a one on one fight. Some people might say well Sabo fought evenly against Issho so he could fight Doflamingo too. My response is that base Luffy was able to hold his ground against Issho but he still needed a lot of help to take down Doflamingo. I don't see why it shouldn't be the same case for Sabo who has shown less impressive feats in the past arc. Let's face it nothing was more impressive or powerful than Gear Fourth. Dragon Claw is freaking awesome, but it ain't as strong as King Kong Punch. I'm sure Sabo has more powerful techniques in his arsenal but that remains to be seen. If I gave Sabo this fight then it would be mainly based off hype and future potential. I don't think that's really fair. Right now Doflamingo is the superior fighter all around because of how well he fought against Luffy & company.

Last edited:

darkprince0521

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Isn't Sabo's haki way more better than DD's? He rose to the position of 2nd in the revolutionary army without any DF powers, so Mera Mera no mi is just an addition to his actual power. Sabo is also the brother of Luffy and Ace which is enough said to give him an extra consideration of how strong and enduring he will be.
Luffy is known to have haoshoku haki and he was trained by the best in using it. add that with Luffy's great mastery over his 4th Gear. even then it wasn't enough to subdue DD. Sabo may have good control over Haki, but so had Luffy. Law is another great fighter, and combined with Luffy they couldn't take DD out.

We also do not know how strong Sabo is tbh. DD has his awakening but we do not know what Sabo's secret technique might be. His dragon claw attack might be one of the basic and weakest of his attacks, like how luffy always starts with gomu gomu no pistol.
and saying that Sabo would win based on what we Don't know about Sabo's strength is exactly not a bright idea.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Based on the two participants' fighting ability, it appears that Doflamingo has the upper-hand and is someone who has a lot of endurance and stamina. When I look at how Luffy and Law vs Doflamingo, the two boys had an extremely hard time battling and Law almost lost his life to his enemy. All thanks to the many helpers (in various extent - little bits and pieces, moderate and more significant help) who had assisted the Luffy team in every possible way for them to win over the kingdoms of Dressrosa and Tontatta. In fact, it was like every single person in the country (citizens, royal families, pirates, fighters, gladiators, straw-hats, allies, etc) was involved in rescuing the country from the evil hand, Doflamingo (the country's one and only enemy, with his crew).

In the Dressrosa arc, Doflamingo had displayed, in every way, superior in his physical and mental capability. This guy has had been through a lot of trials in his life since he was a kid and he has vast experiences in fights and battles, till now. He is in his 40s, which also means that he has more than 30 years of experience in life. I can't imagine what kind of life he has been through, but one thing I do know is that it isn't a life an ordinary person could endure and should go through. Perhaps someone who has gone through war could be able to appreciate the hardship better. But I believe this is the closest I can imagine when I compare it with our modern events, such as first and second world wars. What I'm trying to say is hardship can mold someone's character and even personality, and through the difficult experience, one's endurance and perseverance could stand out prominently. Perhaps the same could be said about Sabo too. But he was fortunate to be found by Dragon whom I think, isn't a tyrant caregiver. As such Sabo may not need to endure as much hardship as how Doflamingo had. Moreover Sabo is still very young and inexperience, while his opponent is an evil king who had ruled a kingdom for 10 years and would not hesitate to kill anyone and anything. When I think about how he used his DF to manipulate the former king, Riku, to kill his own people is enough to say of his cruelty. When faced with someone who has so much anger, hatred and filled with such strong killing intent, it is as if Sabo is facing the devil himself.

We all know how much and how far extent Doflamingo can fight while he stood confidently without giving up, while holding on to his "birdcage" and continued manipulating it. Even after his defeat, his spirit of endurance stood still with him. For a second, if he is given a second chance, I suspect that he would win this time. He is someone who thinks fast and his mind is agile as his physical movement, and he probably would have already thought of a new strategy to win the battle. It seems like this tournament is his second chance! :teehee

As much as I would love to see the "good guys" holding the trophy, but for the sake of fair analysis, I would have to say that Doflamingo would win this tournament.

Your thoughts? :^_^

Last edited:

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Devil fruit? -> Dofla wins. Awakened vs. newbie.

Haki? -> Dofla wins. Experienced Conquerorhaki user vs. Experienced Hardening user.

Fighting style? -> Remis. Both can fight in melee and range. I would give this to Dofla still, because of his versatile forms of attacks, but... we dont want to get sabo steamrolled.

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meh, Sabo should win this. At the very least, it's clear that he was already a fighter capable of going toe to toe with DD even without his devil fruit. Now factor in his new devil fruit power and he should have the advantage. The level of experience both have with their devil fruits is really of no relevance here. Sabo might not be able to fight primarily with his fire abilities yet but he simply doesn't need to. His dominant form of combat is his dragon claw style and it's strong enough to have placed him as the 2nd in command of the Revolutionary army. Now he just needs to simply reinforce his dragon claw attacks with fire for a big reward in power like he's done once before against Burgess and that's just the start. A devil fruit for someone already as strong as him will only compliment and enhance his ability as oppose to someone like Doflamingo who gained his devil fruit as a child and thus centred his fighting style around it. Neither is really better than the other but just because Doflamingo has more experience with his devil fruit doesn't mean he has an advantage.

I say pre-devil fruit Sabo was already strong enough for the additional fire abilities to give him a convincing win against Doflamingo.

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
if doffy wins this, how can luffy lose to sabo but win against doffy?
We need to keep in mind that Luffy did not fight Doflamingo alone the entire time. It wasn't a normal 1 on 1 fight. More like a tag team versus one person. He won against Doffy because he received a lot of help from Law & gladiators. Without them we might have seen Luffy get killed.

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 AM ----------

Meh, Sabo should win this. At the very least, it's clear that he was already a fighter capable of going toe to toe with DD even without his devil fruit. Now factor in his new devil fruit power and he should have the advantage. The level of experience both have with their devil fruits is really of no relevance here. Sabo might not be able to fight primarily with his fire abilities yet but he simply doesn't need to. His dominant form of combat is his dragon claw style and it's strong enough to have placed him as the 2nd in command of the Revolutionary army. Now he just needs to simply reinforce his dragon claw attacks with fire for a big reward in power like he's done once before against Burgess and that's just the start. A devil fruit for someone already as strong as him will only compliment and enhance his ability as oppose to someone like Doflamingo who gained his devil fruit as a child and thus centred his fighting style around it. Neither is really better than the other but just because Doflamingo has more experience with his devil fruit doesn't mean he has an advantage.

I say pre-devil fruit Sabo was already strong enough for the additional fire abilities to give him a convincing win against Doflamingo.
So basically you think an experienced Devil Fruit user would have no advantage over someone who might be considered a greenhorn? I don't know if I agree with that notion. To me that is tantamount to saying post timeskip Luffy would not have an edge against pre timeskip Luffy. Usually Devil Fruit users are able to refine their standard techniques or gain access to new techniques over time as they become more accustomed to using their powers. Doflamingo has mastered his DF abilities over time to point where he can use awakening so it doesn't make any sense to claim he would not have an advantage over Sabo who just started using his powers.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
if doffy wins this, how can luffy lose to sabo but win against doffy?
Yep if we go by logic, if Sabo is stronger than Luffy then he should also be stronger than DD, right?
Or maybe we shouldn't take previous fights into account?

This just reinforces my impression that not all the fights can be so straightforward.And that there's other parameters to take into account, maybe even the voters own preferance. I think I already said this a bunch of times, but Luffy is by no means so far behind Sabo. They could be closer in power than we might think.
So if we look at the abilities of the fighters, clearly DD has mastered his fruit, but I doubt Sabo will rely heavily on the Mera Mera to fight. I think instead he'll use it mostly to evade the attacks, and use the Dragon claw to deal most of his damage.
Sabo's mastery of Haki could be close to Luffy's, we know he clashed with Burgess using it during the tournament, and the dragon claw is a pretty powerful technique. But is it more or equally as powerful as Gear 4? We don't know, because Sabo had very little exposition throughout the arc, and the only people he fought are the likes of Burgess who got trashed by him, and Fujitora who wasn't even serious.
So I feel we don't have enough info to really come up with a definite and accurate answer, but I still voted for Sabo because I feel the Dragon claw is powerful enough to damage DD. And he's a logia, but that hardly makes him OP, with Haki around. Instead he could use it to evade some attacks, and coupled with the dragon claw it might do some more damage.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
can this end in a tie? both are/seem equal in many regards. JW

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
So basically you think an experienced Devil Fruit user would have no advantage over someone who might be considered a greenhorn? I don't know if I agree with that notion. To me that is tantamount to saying post timeskip Luffy would not have an edge against pre timeskip Luffy. Usually Devil Fruit users are able to refine their standard techniques or gain access to new techniques over time as they become more accustomed to using their powers. Doflamingo has mastered his DF abilities over time to point where he can use awakening so it doesn't make any sense to claim he would not have an advantage over Sabo who just started using his powers.
I think you missed his point completely. The point he was making is that Sabo doesn't even require his devil fruit to fight and defeat Doflamingo. Essentially, we have two strong opponents about to fight, each with their own skill set. One of them centers their fighting around their devil fruit, Doflamingo, while the other centers it around hand to hand combat, Sabo. The only way you can say that Doflamingo's devil fruit is an advantage is if Sabo also relied mostly on his devil fruit to fight, and thus devil fruit vs devil fruit Doflamingo would have the advantage since he has years of experience while Sabo doesn't. This is also ignoring the inherent capabilities of their devil fruits, since we have no idea just how powerful the Mera Mera no mi can get when pushed to its fullest potential. In this case Sabo uses Dragon Claw which he has years of experience in while Doflamingo uses his Ito Ito no mi. That match up alone in Fried's eyes is even and it probably is the same for most people that argue Sabo is stronger. The fact that Sabo now has the Mera Mera no mi is just a bonus, and depending on how quickly he learns to augment his existing abilities with it, he will actually be the one with an advantage if you assume that Sabo without the Mera Mera was at least equal to Doflamingo.

Personally, I did not want Sabo to make it this far and wanted him out when he was up against Luffy. We honestly, don't know how strong he is based on the actual story since he has not had a full fight yet. From what we've seen we know he will at least be a match for Doflamingo, but the rest is just speculation. There is just too much hype around him. I know he is likely to be stronger than Doflamingo, but until it is actually directly shown in the manga I'd rather not take that as given no matter how likely it is to be the case. If he were someone like a Yonkou or Dragon himself I think hype would be substantial as their title by itself would imply that level of strength, but Second in Command doesn't tell us as much since we've seen plenty of examples where the second most powerful is still leagues below the strongest. It would have been more interesting if Luffy and Doflamingo were here fighting since we know very well just how strong they are since we've seen them both go all out.

Last edited:

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I think Sabo should win. He's able to fight against admiral pretty evenly from what we can see.

ajc46

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Going to abstain from voting in this one. I really think Sabo would win this fight, but not easily. Problem is I don't want to vote for Doflamingo because I think he'd lose, and don't want to vote for sabo because he hasn't really shown his full potential. Like others said he is obviously a beast but a lot of that is speculation.
Kind of don't want it to end like the last tournament where shanks won (I think, or maybe he just made it to the final with whitebeard) even though he'd never actually had a proper battle.

darkprince0521

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Going to abstain from voting in this one. I really think Sabo would win this fight, but not easily. Problem is I don't want to vote for Doflamingo because I think he'd lose, and don't want to vote for sabo because he hasn't really shown his full potential. Like others said he is obviously a beast but a lot of that is speculation.
Kind of don't want it to end like the last tournament where shanks won (I think, or maybe he just made it to the final with whitebeard) even though he'd never actually had a proper battle.
Shanks case was bit different. being a Yonko itself is a feat, add to that with the facts that Admiral like Kizaru was cautious with Shank's underling Ben Beckman.
Shanks stopped enraged Akainu's punch with ease, and he reached the warzone after his "skirmish" with another Yonko Kaido.
His mere presence was enough to take out fodder Whitebeard pirates.
Shanks clashed with Whitebeard which had so high impact that it reached the sky.
Then we have Mihawk who is basically a rival to Shanks and we have seen Mihawk's strength.

So, even though Shanks haven't fought a complete battle on panel, there are enough feats to support his hype. Sabo, who I am sure will prove himself as top tier, still have no such feat. Doflamingo is easy contender for a place among top tier with his battle against Luffy, Law and others. So don't tell that Sabo and Shanks has similar situation with the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.