Seinen - "Oshi no Ko" by Akasaka, Aka and Yokoyari, Mengo | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen "Oshi no Ko" by Akasaka, Aka and Yokoyari, Mengo

Favorite Volume Covers (Pick 3)

• Vol. 1

• Vol. 2

• Vol. 3

• Vol. 4

• Vol. 5

• Vol. 6

• Vol. 7

• Vol. 8

• Vol. 9

• Vol. 10

• Vol. 11

• Vol. 12

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Volume 10 extras, nice mini Ai story

Rad fan cover

I wish these Mem videos were subbed :shakefist

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/w6xZmvdiNp4
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Chainsaw reference! Mengo is a huge fan.

Damn, those Ruby panels were visceral. Though that's how Ai would've reacted, but I understand Ruby's pov.

Aquq picking up the shards was sad. With how he's severing ties, not wholly optimistic for next week.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Really good chapter. Ruby basically voiced everything that was wrong about the idea. I am more surprised their popularity soared, I thought there'd be more negativity around the issue.
Hopefully we get a Kana-Aqua kiss next chapter :pleased

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Special illustration from Kanna Hirayama, anime character designer.

Time-lapse:

Aqua icon, Ruby next?

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Chapter 107

Peak Kana! Honestly, the convo was great, getting back to their dynamic which was missed, until Kana friendzoned herself lol. But, seriously, it's better this way for now and take it a step at time because Aqua isn't in the right headspace for a relationship and now he's got back his oshi :)

Also, there is something to be said for how Kana handled herself under the pretense of Aqua still being in a relationship, quite admirable.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Best character in this manga, Kana is the heart and soul of this series :XD I wonder if Aqua caught on to the tsundere act already..

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Next special illustration should depict Aqua and Kana hanging out. Make it happen Mengo, and I'll drop my longstanding Anemone request.

'Kana point' panel :super

Chap 108

We should start off every chapter like this :blush

Aqua's plan coming together. To Ichigo:

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ai is on Panasonic :amuse

Also, Aqua from the anime character designer:

Major stuff from the anime event.
New PV:

Ai's performance looked amazing, with the baby twins celebrating, holy shit! And then kid Kana.
:wtf

Opening "Idol" will be by Yoasobi

Kana VA is Megumi Han.
@Hermit
She ready:

Plus, new character visuals. Holy, Kana looks so good. The character designer, Kanna, is so talented.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how things are coming out! :D

More!

Special Kana illustration by Kanna:

Special Ai illustration by sub-character designer, Shun Sawai

Damn, that was a chilling introduction. Shame about the girl, she had a great design :darn

Don't know about Aka, but Mengo is a HxH fan. Hikaru and Aqua giving me Chrollo and Kurapika vibes.

Also new illustrations from Mengo & Kanna

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Nice all star line up for the play :amuse We havent seen Melt in so long now, damn. Shiranui as well.

Feels like a bit of a final arc, hopefully we have a bit more to go.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ai content, gimme more. Very excited to get her full story, and I really, really like Aqua's movie idea, it's just something fresh and creative. Plus, the Gotanda already has filmed Ai, so they could air real footage at the end as a tribute, or in this case, Ai-centric chapters. Also, 15 yrs of lies starting, with the anime on deck, is clever planning.

Cast is great. My boi, Melt back in da building! And Frill finally involved:super, looking forward to her as Miyako. Maybe even see a Melt x Frill ship being born given their roles :heh. Aqua playing the killer tho, I mean, I know he could do it given his own stalking acumen, but still quite a choice there. Will be watching that very closely, and Himekawa playing their father too. The on-set dynamics ought to be very tense/interesting as well given Aqua's burned relationships. Lastly, Akane probably replaced the murdered actress, danger danger .

@Hermit check it :

Also, Ai art:

credits to the artists

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Might use this as my next avy on here when the anime starts. Great find ;)
Haha, seems we are of the same mind. Plannin on a Kana set during the anime too, will do Ai for the premiere.

Oh and the best panel results are up: https://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/vote_oshinoko/index.html

It's divided up into idol, acting, and miscellaneous sections. :D

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Made a poll, previous covers:

Bro, this is magnificent, faints. I can never figure out Mengo's timing, unless there's an upcoming cp and killing 2 birds with 1 stone again 😆

Gajeel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Ai's eyes changing when talking about her true colours gave me shivers. There's not one dull moment in this manga.

Lastly, Akane probably replaced the murdered actress, danger danger .
I read on Reddit another user's comment about this chapter which theorized that Hikaru might appear on the movie set and change the prompt knife for a real one. I honestly felt the same way. Considering he has a penchant for killing rising stars plus Aqua being his son, that would be a pretty strong twist (Akane survives of course). Would be great to see Aqua crumble after thinking he had him in his palm too. Well, that's just my two cents. Even if it doesn't happen, I'm certain Akasaka has a nice twist prepared within his mind.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States

Interesting chap, Aka flexing his writing chops on film production. Also, nice to see Kaburagi getting fleshed out here after recurring throughout the series giving favors.

Akane fans manifesting as sponsors to get Frill the lead role :amuse. Also, lol at Melt just being always available.

New art by Kanna:

OnK x 7/11

Pretty good Ruby-centric chapter showcasing all her sides. Always good to see her natural side when she congratulated Kana. Then of course her dark side and her Ai resemblance. I wonder if we're gonna get an audition now, with this 3-way going on.

DVD, more Ai content on the way, it must be the whole thing chapter 10 referenced.

PS: Ruby meowing reminded me of Yukino

unless there's an upcoming cp and killing 2 birds with 1 stone again 😆
They can't fool me anymore :noworry

Break but some anime news. Mark it down, April 12th is the premiere. Advance screenings going on in Japanese theaters, and so far the reception has been overwhelmingly positive. :D

Illustration for the movie premeire by MIIKAN (animator)

Preview image for ep 1:

Chibi models:

Kana next

New Ai figurine released. I believe a Kana one will be coming soon.

Some colorings and fanart:

@Hermit

For @Gajeel

credits to the artists

From AnimeJapan

New PV, continues to impress:

New KV

Akane and Mem visuals

VA: Manaka Iwami for Akane and Rumi Okubo for Mem

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Chapter is out:

We have not seen any of Frill's acting till now, right? Iirc in the first arc she was hyped as a prodigy but we never saw any of that being focused on :hmm

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dir. Gotanda with the best pout :lmao

Akane balancing that gonna start a new balancing challenge on social media.

I wonder if we're gonna get an audition now, with this 3-way going on.
My foresight on point again :mono

We have not seen any of Frill's acting till now, right? Iirc in the first arc she was hyped as a prodigy but we never saw any of that being focused on :hmm
Yea, she was introduced as a multi-talented performer and Ruby's benchmark. It's pretty interesting to go back on see the development of their interactions. When they first met (ch.19), Ruby couldn't even introduce herself to Frill. Then, after the B-Komachi music video, Frill recognized her potential and thought they would work together soon, and now here they are as rivals. Really like how it was presented here:

Also, Frill has had an interest in Aqua's talents too for a while, and wanted to work with him. The time is ripe for her to finally to shine.

Lastly, we got a great batch of official illustrations this week (Jump+, Megami mag., and Kanna), and OnK will have the LCP next week for the mag. :D As the anime airs and popularity further increases, more art :kukuku

Last week's colored.

credit to Arataki

credit to Nanori_Dia

Fallin for Frill. She has great screen presence and is cool to boot. Wish the chapter didn't end.

Also, we got a Ruby blob too in addition to Mem lol.

The LCP is beautiful. I wish this was Ruby's hair color now, wow.

Mag cover:

@Hermit did you hear about Kana parlaying an April Fool's joke into becoming an official Baking soda ambassador for Kaneyo-Soap :amuse

Official Kana chibi icon released:

Kana by Kanna:

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
@Hermit did you hear about Kana parlaying an April Fool's joke into becoming an official Baking soda ambassador for Kaneyo-Soap :amuse
Oh no, I didn't hear about this.

Sorry for the lack of activity in the thread btw. Just so caught up with so many things these days. I barely sleep as well so im wiped out the moment i get home every evening :fail

But I'm still following the manga. Just waiting till something catches my eye, so far everything this current arc has been standard.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ai on the cover of TV Guide A Stars

Ai on the cover of Newtype Magazine

Well that wasn't a lie. But, basically Ruby's daily persona is a lie, which they probably caught on to. And Aikane looks perfect for the role.

Now, time to watch the anime premiere :D

The premiere went even better then expected, and damn did it make a shockwave in the anime community. The volumes are selling like hotcakes, with each volume in Shoseki's top 50 yday :super. Yoasobi's music video was a super hit, crossing 10 million views in 3 days. OnK community rising on social media, youtube, reddit, MAL. And fanartists are getting new inspiration. Man, this feels so good :D

@Hermit @Gajeel We made it 🤝

From Kanna:

Maid collab with Sweets Paradise, Kana and Ruby best looking maids in anime, great color scheme:

Sneak peek at B-Komachi idol fits 👀

Chibi models for Akane, Mem, and Melt:

Special cover on Weekly Young Jump:

Art from Mengo:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
New chapter is out:

And new Ai illustration as well :amuse

This edgy Aqua stuff is very cringe to read honestly. We knew he was always hellbent on revenge, but I feel like Aka has made his personality Sasuke 2.0. What's annoying me is there hasn't even been any trigger for this sudden new version of him, it just showed up out of nowhere.
Akane also saying she knows Ai better than anyone with her daughter in the same room was very presumptous of her. Though at least she admitted it herself :XD