Final - Rave vs. Haikyu!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Rave vs. Haikyu!!

Who wins?

• Rave

• Haikyu!!

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Rave
Hiro Mashima
Haikyu!!!
Haruichi Furudate

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

I really went all out in this war, so no regrets whatever happens.
I told you everything that you need to know about Rave, i showed you everything that you need to see in Rave.
But ill post a little something for the end, probably tomorrow when i get the time :smile-big

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Part I. Introduction
Part II. Character writting
~Interlude~
Part III. The art and symbolisms

Part IV
What the series says

"Talent is something you make bloom,
instinct is something you polish"
(Tooru Oikawa)

While of course there are flaws in the series, they are too far in between all the intense awesomeness that occur throughout the show.
I believe that anyone can find something in this series that will pique their interest, because Haikyuu just excels at being a fun show with plenty of things

done right and throws it all in a blender to mix into a drinkable form for everyone to enjoy. It's a series that manages to be serious and realistic, but never failing for being of the typical shonen genere.

The series has heart. You can sense how the characters are really into the sport they love and how important every single match is to them.
This is one of the morals developed in the manga: if you are passionate about something, give it your best shot, and you’ll have no regrets, regardless of the result.

This is something I have been repeating in previous campaigns, but I consider it very important, it's that Haikyuu has also this special thing about itself that sets apart and forms a big gap among other series:

Its a rarity for a shonen and/or sport series to concentrate on the extra characters or those characters who are created merely to make the protagonists shine even more brightly.

They even have a long part of expressing their regrets and their thoughts about losing, which makes the readers easly emotional because Furudate makes all type of situations anyone has liven or can.

This is what makes HQ! so important: it's a series that never stops the hype, or entertaining the reader regardless if you know or care about volleyball, or maybe sports in general. Furudate's writing is something based mostly on keeping the intensity of the characters and the matches in any chapter; what all the characters have in common (players, managers, family members, any of them) is the constant passion of the writtig they have.

Character development is part of it, as this series does a great job in providing change for the characters.

This makes those characters a lot more relatable and, thus, likeable. The characters who do change still retain some of their old habits, but the overall change is still noticeable, which is a brilliant touch, as it adds a bit of a quirk to them.

That is what transcends truly, a sport that achieves being or not the athlete that we are all part of the successes or defeats of the team.

Nothing is free in sport and life in general, everything is achieved with effort and mentality of self-improvement, everything begins with an individual who generates a team with the fight; fights and plays but especially they aspire and have different goals in life changing while they develop and grow up.

Please vote Haikyuu!

:confetti

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
If I may, Revo, I'd love to echo your final Haikyuu!! campaign on what what the series says. Haikyuu!! deserves this win!

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR NATIONALS AND THE ENDING!

A major theme of Haikyuu!! is:
"What will you become tomorrow?"

Based on what's been adapted in the anime, people wouldn't be wrong to think that Haikyuu!! is a sports manga that excels because it understands the conventions of its genre - it delivers what we want, with tropes we are familiar with, while still being well-written in doing so. But with the end of the Nationals and the final timeskip the series goes in a direction that cements its maturity by exceeding our exceptions by doing the following things:

1. At Nationals, Karasuno loses
2. Not only that, but every single team we've followed in the series until that point also loses
3. Ichibayashi High, a school we never heard of before or ever saw after, wins

We never even get to meet the team that won the Nationals tournament. Why? Because they had no significance to the story. Haikyuu!! was instead about all those other schools who fought for that title, and lost. In an alternate universe Haikyuu!! could have been the story about Ichibayashi being the best at high school volleyball for that one year, and Karasuno never would have appeared.

But since the series was instead about those who fought and lost, it asked them what they would take from that - what would they become?

And the final arc revisited that:

In its final arc Haikyuu!! continued its mature approach, showing that majority of the volleyball players we saw from all the teams across the series stopped played after high school and went on to do different things with their lives, so much so that whenever a character was re-introduced we didn't just see their face but also got to see what their career was, or even got a glimpse of them away from them away from the court:

Haikyuu!! isn't just about volleyball as a sport; it's about how it positively affected those who played it - even if it was just for a few years when they were teenagers - and how they created lasting bonds because of it. Haikyuu!! continued the trend of not showing the victors of those important matches until its final chapter. We'll never know if Japan won that destined Olympics match in 2021, but that doesn't matter because that's just one game of many that Hinata and Kageyama will keep on playing long after the manga's final page.

Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yeah i really cant argue with Haikyuu's awesomeness. Its probably the best sports series ive seen thus far, and ive seen quite a few of them. Its also quite realistic, or as realistic as one can make it in manga form. Ive played volleyball in highschool, so this manga was kinda nostalgic. The final arc was also very decent, which is kinda rare in shonen, kinda. Though i might have enjoyed the final arc even more so if it had not been for that timeskip. I never truly understood why sports authors do this sometimes and pass on great opportunities to explore another year, potential new characters, new developments etc. Maybe they fear repetitions, but despite watching two Aoba Josai matches i would watch another two in a heart beat. That chapter when you see the second and third year flashes, and then the third year photo, it kinda broke me inside, but i pressed on. I really really really really would have loved to see the third year.

In comparison to Haikyuu which explores real life and the hurdles and walls we all face, Rave is of course a fantasy so they really dont have much in common and they cant be really compared. Its hard to see how a real life person would behave in a fantasy, or how all characters would act for that matter, we can only imagine, which is the point of fantasy. We sometimes escape from the real world to explore a fantastical world full of wonder and magic, imagine ourselves in a world like this, imagine how we would behave, trying to identify with a character in that world etc.

Now onto my final Rave post and wrap it up for this year ...

RECAP 1

RAVE MASTER - INTRODUCTION, STORY, MAIN CHARACTERS, HISTORY, WORLD-BUILDING
:victory click here

RECAP 2

RAVE MASTER - SIDE CHARACTERS, THE VILLAINS AND ANTAGONISTS, POWER SYSTEM
:victoryclick here

RECAP 3

RAVE MASTER - THE TONES OF THE SERIES AND THE MOMENTS, THE ROMANCE, THE ENTIRE STORY

RECAP 4

RAVE MASTER - THE FIGHTS AND THE ART

RAVE MASTER

I have given you everything that you need to know about Rave without much spoiling, all the charms of Rave and why is it worth your time, and i hope that the series piqued your interest and that you will pick it up one day, especially if you like Mashima at his best. Rave manga is not a perfect series and it has problems, usual shonen problems, Mashima problems etc, but the manga does stuff right, and when it shines it really shines. It hits all the good notes, it explores its expasince world and great cast of characters as good as it can in less than 300 chapters.

If you love fantasy, if you love journeys and great characters, if you love mystery and twists, if you simply love a charming and well written story "there and back again" Lord of the Rings + One Piece style, if you love stories about friends and family fighting and supporting each other against all odds, DEFINITELY check RAVE MASTER.

I have shown you the characters and in short wrote what they are all about. Like i mentioned in my previous campaigns, they are a very compact but diverse cast ala One Piece style, with every character bringing something unique to the team. Each character has a backstory, a motive, a goal, something that makes them kinda relatable and believable, and every character has a fun quirk.

I have also talked about some of the side characters, and same as the main cast they bring some awesome stuff to the series. A good portion of them having a character arc that is very well written with some being among the standouts of the series.

I have talked about villains and antagonist and their role in the story. Each of the major antagonists are quite deep and well layered with interesting backstories, tragic backstories, stories that makes you understand them. There are many villain factions in the series and each of them have unique characters, not as well written as the major villains, but still very fun to follow.

The major antagonist all have quite interesting stories to explore. Like i said, a good portion of them have stories that makes you understand why they have become the way they are.

And there are of course more antagonists that explore themes like revenge, jealousy, urge to prove his/her existence, just doing his/her duty to a faction, etc

I have talked about the world and its history, the factions and the various different settings our heroes find themselves in.
The Rave World has a history and it goes deep as well as it can with 300 chapters. From the Kingdom Wars, the Sentinoid wars and discrimination, The Raregroove and Symphonia cursed conflict, the story of Shiba the Sword Saint, the story of the holy maiden Resha Valentine, the story of Arcela Raregroove and the parallel world.

The World of Rave is as expansive as it can get with 300 chapters and the journey takes us everywhere. Different continents, different countries, different cities and towns, underwater, into the air, into the underworld, into the past and so on.

And along the way you meet different people, different cultures, different races, different factions. You go from simple island folk, city people, gangs, to criminal organizations, sentinoids like mermaids, oni, demons, talking animals, dragons, pirates, resistance fighters and evil empires.

I have talked about the Power System which is not really that deep, but it has some good variety and there are a lot of different powers implemented throughout, from magic, alchemy, Etherion, Rave powers, Dark Brings (aka the Devil Druits of Rave), to sword powers and other kinds of abilities wielded by different races of sentinoids like Mermaids, Dragon Race, Demons (well more or less they are actually wielding magic, but its cool to see the different types certain races use). The power levels are for the most part consistent and there are certain levels and rankings established among characters that are easy to follow.

Sword Powers

Magic

Alchemy

and many many many more ....

I have talked about the fights that arent really that amazing since Mashima is known for having hit or miss fights, but Rave has more or less pretty decent ones with good writing, some smart thinking and more or less without constant power of friendship/feelings annoying power ups. The fights themselves arent really deep, not nearly as deep as Haikyuu's battles that show real life struggles in sports and have a greater meaning in the long run. Rave in the end is more about the story and its characters and the journey, while the fights are more shonen standard that we see in everyday manga. They still have their own meaning and importance to the story and they have impact. Rave is also quite bloody in its fights, and with different powers on the stage, from swordplay to magic, the fights are quite dynamic and whats most important they are fun.

I have talked about another fun component to this series, which is romance. Ignoring all the crazy FT and EZ shipping, the twitter madness, the fans demands and so on, Rave Master has some really good and believable and touching romance and relationships. Like i said in my previous campaign, romance and shipping isnt really my forte, but i can appreciate good romances when i see them, and Rave has them. So if you are into Mashima romance, which he does not really excel in them anymore, definitely check Rave.

And I talked about the tones of the series, and its moments. What Rave does right is hitting the right tones when it needs to, without taking you out of that moment. There are times where its pretty serious and F-ed up, and there are times when its hilarious and absolutely goofy. Its super serious when it needs to be serious, its really dark when its needs to be dark, its goofy and funny when the when the moment calls for it, and the fanservice is done in a good manner and with some care so that it doesnt get you out of moments that needs attention. I mentioned Plue being the X factor that can cause some serious moments to become goofy, but the Plue things goes aways as the story progresses, and you kinda get used to him.

Like i said Rave hits when hits, and it hits hard with its moments. There are some truly amazing moments, ranging from tragedy to epicness, from feels to seriousness and all up to funny moments that make your sides hurt. There are moments that are very memorable and stay with you, and then there are moments that are straight up legendary, one moment being bonkers, the Rave fans probably know what im talking about.

To the End

I really dont have much else to say. I have shown you all, i have told you all. If you like what youve seen, if you liked what youve read, if you love fantasy, if you love journeys with heart and charm that take our heroes all over the world ala One Piece, if you love good characters with believable personalities and relationships, if you love decent romance, if you love mysteries and twists, if you love to feel some types of ways ranging from emotional to angry, DEFINITELY give RAVE MASTER a vote, and even more so if you love Mashima, or in general if you love journeys definitely pick it up.

On the other hand if you are more into sports series, realistic and believable characters and their struggles, fun and amazing volleyball matches that have deep meaning, and everything my colleagues that support Haikyuu mentioned here, defnitely give your vote to Haikyuu. It is the best in its genre.

And another one of my cheap moves that i kept using during this war :xp
Well it took some effort to do this so imma post it again, forgive me ....

ARC by ARC Presentation For everyone who read Rave and wants to remember the greatness

or

(quite a good ending song for purposes like these :music)

This is it from me :smile-big i hope
(maybe ill find something to add later, who knows)
Overall ive put my everything into this Manga Wars
so win or lose i have no regrets.

Last edited:

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
«Regardless if we win or lose,
no one really dies, or respawns.
The dark side never prospers, nor does the world end.
We don't travel across a grand world, all we do is stand within the four corners of a mere 9 x 18 metre rectangle,
and give everything we've got to prevent a ball from hitting the floor.
But thank you, for getting me into volleyball»
(Chap. 324)

I. Introduction
II. The writting of characters
~Interlude~
III. The matches and symbolisms
IV. What the series has to say

Part V:
Why it's a good shonen

Haikyuu is a true manga about efforts, about a journey and character development. It doesn't need tragedies or epic battles about saving the world to be a manga of epicness and emotional ride. The character don't need to be tragic, villian-like or heroes, like I said in previous campaign, the cast is extense but full of realistic people that still have their own fun and original personalities; the most important aspect of HQ! are the dynamic of relationship and the matches.

Yes, it has clichés, and it has flaws, like any other manga/anime of course has, but what many mangas do, Haikyuu does it right; it doesn't need to be an epic, fantastic tale to be as awesome as it is.

So why is it a good shonen series? It stays in some of the clichés there are always around, but the Furudate manages to use them and the common world-building right; the matches feel like a true battle, the characters manage to transmit feelings to you in their winning and loses in a series where tragedy or death doesn't exist; the art is incredible and the dynamic between the cast variates in various forms.

The cast is incredible extense, but you get to look at all the characters: their motives, their abilities, their qualities, their defining strengths and weaknesses, and how they interact with other members of the team.
HQ! is a series that does the realtionships well, it doesn't get into your typical MC that shines alone all the time, a journey for him alone.

It's not perfect, but it transmits exactly what Furudate wants in their work: it transmits what a team is like, what it represents and
as it should be, not only limited to sport but even more transcending to life.

The teammate of the protagonists is represented by crows; the crows perfectly symbolize what a garbage-based team is in the
sense of variety of people and even scraps of the same sport and competition: self-centered and selfish people, stars
low confidence, leading older players but also targets of criticism, bad reputation in front of the rest of the people, lack of confidence, all points
negative against the rest of rivals that are the opposite of them strong in their path of success that crush, defeat and humiliate players of national stature and even pick, fast, weird, normal, strong, and even dominant playstyles are the accurate way to describe your competition.

I have been talking about everything: from the writting, to the characters and even the art style. In the end, even with all flaws Haikyuu! has (like any series), it still manages to be one of the best written shonen that has recently finished.

The magic of the series doesn't consist of its plot, but more from the very simple fact some teenagers or young adult athletes who fight for various reasons or aspirations, whether to improve, because their club, for personal or mysterious reasons, because it is their last chance to win something or for the simple wanting of winning.

Overall, Haikyuu is a emotional ride of tears, laughter, and frustration that you can feel from the characters, whether main characters, secondaries or even the extra-minor characters.
A series where you can learn a lot and reflect a lot about your life, but that also sitll keeps you entretained and gives you a good read; Furudate is an author who is faithful to it's own characters and plot, never betraying or making plot holes, it stays true to their way and style of writing.

You don't need to be into sports to get into the plot, and even to get a connection with the real-life events happening in the growing of the series.

Haikyuu isn't an epic fantasy battle, or has a great original world-building, or power levels, but it's still a masterpiece in it's own way.

Please, even if you don't vote for it, give it a try someday; I promise it's an epic reading and will give you the feelings that any other battle-shonen/manga in general can give you. You will get into characters, the art and even the matches; as someone who doesn't really care for sports in general, this manga has given a great impression.

Hope you read it someday! :blush

Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yeah I really dont have much else to say, I could talk about character development and progression which is quite good in Rave, but oh well. The only thing left is to try and sway you with photoshopping and aesthetics :XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.