Theory - Role of Gray and Gajeel in the current arc | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Role of Gray and Gajeel in the current arc

Jintohaku

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm feeling a bit tin foily so I'll throw out a random theory. I want to preface this by saying I don't expect any of this to happen, but it's always a possibility.

Ok, Here goes. So we know that this arc isn't anywhere near finished. From the start we thought this arc was going to be contained to just the Diabolos and Selene plot lines. Now with Ignia's arrival and the resurrection of Dogramag, as well as a larger plan that may be leading to a revival of more dragons, it seems this arc has a lot more in store even after the seemingly "final" fight against Dogramag. Now looking at the opponents that everyone in the labyrinth has faced so far, we can see some thematic clashes. Suzaku being the sword and Natsu being the armor, Wendy and Haku both being small, Laxus and Kirin both using lightning, Erza being scarlet and Misaki being Azure, and so on. Looking at it from that point, the best opponents for Gray and Gajeel would have been Skullion and Madmole, Skullion being the revenge match Gray never got, and Madmole being all about defense while Gajeel is also defense oriented with his iron body. However the moment those two were taken out in the beginning of the arc, I knew Gray and Gajeel were destined for greater things. But the problem of the thematic match still remains. Aside from Skullion, the only thematic match for Gray would be an Ice user, a fire user, or a demon. There is no ice user in this arc (as of yet), but there is a potential demon who is also a fire user. And as for Gajeel, he already has a history of matching base and LFD Natsu as well as fighting a dragon god.

Here's how I see it playing out. Suzaku and Natsu could continue their fight against Dogramag. Something could happen that could trigger Natsu's rage form like back against Mercphobia. He'll rampage attacking friend and foe alike. Selene will see this and teleport Suzaku away (the relationship between them seems to be building towards something like this). Gajeel Gray and Wendy will stumble upon the scene and Gray will realize it's the demon rampaging. Gray will be able to finally put his devil slaying magic to use and Gajeel will get his second fight against a dragon god, while Wendy will stay behind and continue healing Erza (hopefully). I don't think it'd be too inappropriate for the setting if Gajeel is the one to take on Dogramag as he wasn't even part of the original quest objective and there's so many more potential enemies and plotlines in this arc that Natsu's big moment to shine in the arc could definitely be there. And who knows, maybe this could be a chance for Gajeel to finally master dragon force. (Of course I won't consider Gray and Gajeel fighting these new potential enemies as they will likely be dragons. While Gajeel's still good there, Gray doesn't have dragon slaying magic.)

Now all that being said the most likely thing to happen would be them fighting a restored Skullion and Madmole, or worse..... do nothing.

Ronin31

Reaction score
Country
France
I think they will do nothing in this arc, then, Grey will be a major piece next. That already happened before.
He did not do many things in GmG then, in Tartaros, his rôle was restored greatly.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am guessing dragon eater master will be revived and gray and gajeel will tag team him

This was the problem from start for this arc. Four dark knights
So one goes to laxus one to erza one to natsu.
And then we had gray and gajeel.
One option was to feed a dark knight to wendy and give skullion and madomole to gray and gajeel. But I guess mishma thought that was a bad idea.

So maybe the master will revive and gray and gajeel can tag team him

Jintohaku

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think they will do nothing in this arc, then, Grey will be a major piece next. That already happened before.
He did not do many things in GmG then, in Tartaros, his rôle was restored greatly.
Well even though Mashima says that Gray didn't do much in GMG, He did do something. He fought and beat one of the core members of Sabertooth which was the main conflict in the first part of the arc. The next part of the arc was focused on the dragons invading and there wasn't really much he could do there as a non dragon slayer. Even most of the actual dragon slayers barely did anything in that situation. But even still he fought against some of the mini dragons and that unison raid he did with Juvia made for a good Sakuga moment in the anime. I don't think it'd ever be appropriate for him to do LITERALLY nothing in an arc he appears in. Same goes for Gajeel.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I am guessing dragon eater master will be revived and gray and gajeel will tag team him

One option was to feed a dark knight to wendy and give skullion and madomole to gray and gajeel. But I guess mishma thought that was a bad idea.

That could be another option for them, but the main problem I have is that I don't really see a reason for Diabolos to fight FT anymore. There's clearly bigger things going on and Kirin's whole character had to center around Laxus' power for there to be an excuse for them to fight in this situation. It'd just feel really weird to me if Georg came back and ignored the dragon gods to fight 2 members of FT that haven't even done anything to his guild members.

One4All

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Hiro could have chosen the 7 vs 7 route and it wouldn't really change anything with regards to the conclusion of this arc or the DG fight. Natsu and Suzaku can still go the same route while the rest go on their individual fights. In that way,Gray and Gajeel will have some action in this arc.

Karna

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm expecting a Mira and Gray shared arc about demons.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well even though Mashima says that Gray didn't do much in GMG, He did do something. He fought and beat one of the core members of Sabertooth which was the main conflict in the first part of the arc. The next part of the arc was focused on the dragons invading and there wasn't really much he could do there as a non dragon slayer. Even most of the actual dragon slayers barely did anything in that situation. But even still he fought against some of the mini dragons and that unison raid he did with Juvia made for a good Sakuga moment in the anime. I don't think it'd ever be appropriate for him to do LITERALLY nothing in an arc he appears in. Same goes for Gajeel.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That could be another option for them, but the main problem I have is that I don't really see a reason for Diabolos to fight FT anymore. There's clearly bigger things going on and Kirin's whole character had to center around Laxus' power for there to be an excuse for them to fight in this situation. It'd just feel really weird to me if Georg came back and ignored the dragon gods to fight 2 members of FT that haven't even done anything to his guild members.
Valid point
Demon centric arc in 100 year quest? Seems less probable

kian

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Mashima sidelined Mirajane in the Tartaros, the arc she should’ve been MVP in.

You really really think he could care to even attempt to give her or Gray a special storyline at this point

Ronin31

Reaction score
Country
France
Oh yes he did some things and did great, but still, was in the shadow of characters like Erza, Natsu or Laxus. That's all what I ment.
I totally agree that it's a waste and not appropriate for him to do nothing this Arc. He is still a main character.
Same for Gajeel who was a guest like Laxus. Why made him to come for nothing this Arc ? I really don't understand.

Furkan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Turkey

Honestly, it just doesn't make sense for Gajeel and Gray to fight Diabolos master. Laxus will probably fight if Georg resurrected. The reason Laxus is doing so much is probably because Mashima will make him a master. Laxus vs Georg looks good in terms of story.

Zero001

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Honestly, it just doesn't make sense for Gajeel and Gray to fight Diabolos master. Laxus will probably fight if Georg resurrected. The reason Laxus is doing so much is probably because Mashima will make him a master. Laxus vs Georg looks good in terms of story.
But Laxus already had his fight, there is no reason for him to have another one, Laxus even defeated Skullion and Madmole which totally which didn't make any sense, I don't see him defeating someone important anymore.

Furkan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
But Laxus already had his fight, there is no reason for him to have another one, Laxus even defeated Skullion and Madmole which totally which didn't make any sense, I don't see him defeating someone important anymore.
I don't have a problem with Gray and Gajeel fighting the resurrected Georg . I just think this fight would go better for Laxus from a story standpoint.

Zero001

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I don't have a problem with Gray and Gajeel fighting the resurrected Georg . I just think this fight would go better for Laxus from a story standpoint.
It would have been likely if it wasn't because they already used Laxus against Kirin, that even gave them a reason to fight.

Sevently

Reaction score
Country
France
It would have been a big downplay for Gajeel if he had a fight against Madmole. He one-shotted Bloodman a arc ago with his new form and then he's having hard time against Madmole..? Thanks Laxus for saving us from this.

sharkai

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is no story here.
Sometimes fans get behind an idea so much that they believe its actually part of the story.
A good example is laxus being above or alot stronger than erza. This is not in the story, but fans are so behind this idea, they treat it as manga fact.
Same with laxus being a the guild master. I dont think this has been even hinted in the mnaga since fighting festival arc, nor has the manga implied that laxus wants to be the master.

Laxus being master would be good Idea. But at this point I dont think it will happen

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Arc didn't end yet, Natsu didn't have any fight the previous arc. No one talks about that.

Zero001

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Arc didn't end yet, Natsu didn't have any fight the previous arc. No one talks about that.
Yes, you're right.

The problem is that with Natsu, he won't be so criticized, different from Gray that some will say something against him, Gajeel is because he's in this when he when he wasn't involved and he hasn't done anything.

In my point of view it's just wait how this arc progresses, sometimes Gray tends to fight when the arc is more advanced and in the end the BBDSK that were defeated turned out to be something of a filler, at most Kirin was the most relevant for the new power of Laxus.

Last edited:

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Cuz natsu is our homeboy. We are a cult for natsu, he does no wrong in our eyes

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Cuz natsu is our homeboy. We are a cult for natsu, he does no wrong in our eyes
you are quoting a post from a whole year ago and still not making any sense :verily

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
you are quoting a post from a whole year ago and still not making any sense :verily
Damn that's true 😂. Anyways I will forgive natsu for not having five fights per Arc. He's a god in fT verse