Doubles - Round 1 Block D - Oshitari/Oshitari vs Nakagauchi/Yagyuu | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Doubles Round 1 Block D - Oshitari/Oshitari vs Nakagauchi/Yagyuu

Vote for who you think wins this match.

• Oshitari Kenya / Oshitari Yuushi

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Nakagauchi Sotomichi / Yagyuu Hiroshi

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Doubles
Round 1 Block D

NameOshitari Kenya
GradeMiddle School 3rd Year
BirthdayOctober 15th
Height178 cm
Weight64 kg
HandednessRight
PlaystyleCounter Puncher
NameOshitari Yuushi
BirthdayMarch 17th
Height177 cm
Weight63 kg
HandednessRight
PlaystyleAll Rounder

VERSUS

NameYagyuu Hiroshi
BirthdayOctober 19th
Height177 cm
Weight68 kg
HandednessRight
PlaystyleServe and Volley
NameNakagauchi Sotomichi
GradeHigh School 3rd Year
BirthdayJuly 14th
Height187 cm
Weight78 kg
HandednessRight
PlaystyleAggressive Baseliner

Serve order: Nakagauchi -> Kenya -> Yagyuu -> Yuushi

This round ends on Sunday, August 11th, at 8 PM GMT.

Have fun discussing.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Since it seems like nobody wants to make the first argument in this match, I will begin.
I see the Oshitaris winning this match; their opponents' main weapons are control shots, but with a combination of proper positioning and Kenya's speed, those kind of shots should be less effective than normal. On the other hand, Yuushi has a great variety of attacks. On top of that, the cousins should have the better combination play of the two pairs due to being related and knowing each other for a long time.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I dunno,
Remember how Nakagauchi can send various shots to the corner effortlessly, causing Kenya and Yushi to run around for a game or two.
Yushi/Kenya is going to be like just a perfect pair at the MS level.

Curving Laser + Laser combo is extremely deadly though. Just like how nobody could hit back the Gyro combo from Kaidoh, its a really big problem.
Also, Yagyuu can see through Niou's tricks, so he should be able to cope with Yushi's trickery too perhaps.

It all comes down to combination play eventually since Yagyuu/Nakagauchi are actually just better individual players than Yushi and Kenya.

I give this to Nakagauchi/Yagyuu pair.

Is this best of 3 sets? Or Best of 1?

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
With Kenya on the team, i don't think there'll be any problem with Nakagauchi control shot. The main problem for the Oshitari team here is Yagyuu laser combo, which I do think the Oshitari will be able to return it given enough time. I probably argue Kenya vs Yagyuu enough in the tier list thread before, so I don't want to go over that again here.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Curving Laser + Laser combo is extremely deadly though. Just like how nobody could hit back the Gyro combo from Kaidoh, its a really big problem.
No, I disagree that it's quite as problematic here. I believe some time ago, we determined that the Laser's curve didn't change until it was already deeper in the opponent's court, and since this is doubles, you can utilize formations to minimize its threat.

It's not useless of course, but not on the same level of usefulness as it is in singles.

Also, Yagyuu can see through Niou's tricks, so he should be able to cope with Yushi's trickery too perhaps.
Yuushi can seal his heart, so I don't think Yagyuu will be able to read his state of mind. Consequently, seeing through all of Yuushi's shots should be extremely difficult.

Is this best of 3 sets? Or Best of 1?
Best of 1.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Nakagauchi's accurate shots are useless due to Kenya's speed, so outside of that Nakagauchi isn't really a problem (cord balls are also useless against Kenya due to his speed). Yuushi has a lot of special shots and due to sealing his heart it's hard to predict and see through them.

I see Kenya and Yuushi minimizing Yagyuu's Curved Laser with correct positioning and formation, that will minimize his effect and eventually they'll be able to return it. Nakagauchi's shots are ineffective due to Kenya's speed. Oshitari will seal his heart and Yagyuu will have problems seeing through Yuushi's techniques.

I see the Oshitari's winning this match.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yuushi can seal his heart, so I don't think Yagyuu will be able to read his state of mind. Consequently, seeing through all of Yuushi's shots should be extremely difficult.
This is Yagyuu however. Yagyuu isn't just anyone when it times to mindf*cking his opponents.
Trolling the Nagoya foreigners, GP, his own best friend, he's clearly a dangerous guy with these things and shouldn't be understimated.

No, I disagree that it's quite as problematic here. I believe some time ago, we determined that the Laser's curve didn't change until it was already deeper in the opponent's court, and since this is doubles, you can utilize formations to minimize its threat.
Ken didn't even determine it actually. The two pages actually contrasted each other greatly.

One page shows that to be the case, while the next page shows a different situation.

Not trying to be difficult here but these two pages show completely different situations. The first page shows Laser beam only one step away from the baseline.

The other shot shows something different.
Which strongly hints towards Yagyuu being able to manipulate the Curve in the Curving Laser to how he sees the situation.
He knew Niou was going to run there so hit it so that it caught Niou off-guard right at the last second.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
By determine I mean that, to my recollection, it is the conclusion all of us agreed on back then, not that it was 100% evident from the pages. Also, your argument would make sense if those were two different shots, but since it's the same, it can only be one or the other (the Laser either curves early or late, it cannot do both in the same shot).

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Talking about formations, Laser alone raped the Golden Pair back in Kanto. And, even if Kikumaru isn't as fast as Kenya, he's still really fast and it wasn't enough at all (+motion vision and his acrobatics).

Nakagauchi's accurate shots are useless due to Kenya's speed, so outside of that Nakagauchi isn't really a problem (cord balls are also useless against Kenya due to his speed).
You think that Kenya will last an entire match running The Robot's shots? The guy would force Kenya to run until he faints, and if its an endurance battle Nakagauchi won't lose.

On the other hand, Yuushi has a great variety of attacks. On top of that, the cousins should have the better combination play of the two pairs due to being related and knowing each other for a long time.
I don't agree. The fact that they are related has nothing to do with them having a nice combo. Momo is Ryoma's best friend (or something like that) and they are surely a terrible pair.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
They had known each other for like a month back then and Ryoma didn't know anything about doubles. I don't see how those cases are comparable at all.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
They had known each other for like a month back then and Ryoma didn't know anything about doubles. I don't see how those cases are comparable at all.
...true :oh

Still,I dunno how them being related means anything (actually, every time we see them interact, they are arguing).

Also, I like to think that Yagyuu and Nakagauchi have a better doubles experience than the Oshitaris, but I might be wrong though.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It is said in the third pair puri that they seem to get along very well despite all their arguing.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
...ok they love each other, I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.