Books - The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? ) | Page 68 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
The book is a must.
I read the book...it is great! At some point I felt weird that I was rooting for a couple that was not the most....socially acceptable....meaning she was so young...she was just 14 if I remember correctly and he was a lot older than her.

Last edited:

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I just finished reading The Approximation of the Distance of Two (Classics Club Vol. 5) by Honobu Yonezawa.

This novel has yet to be adapted into an anime.

Futoshi Nishiya (character designer of Hyouka) was one of victims of the arson attack at KyoAni. He didn't survived. :crying

greyssy

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Last Book Finished: Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie.

This is the third and final book in Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy. A great Grimdark fantasy series with incredible characters and a fully realised harsh world. I loved this trilogy, the characters are so well written that it can even be frustrating with how true they stay to themselves at certain times. For those that prefer listening to their books, Steven Pacey who narrates this trilogy is amazing, best I've heard.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Tantric Massage For Beginners by James Argyle

"The Ultimate Tantric Massage Techniques And Tantric Love Making Guide."

:toc

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
King James Bible. Gonna read the whole thing this year. (yeah, don't judge me, never read the book, don't spoil it for me either, please.) :hmph

Knight of Stalwart Heart

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Good Economics for Hard Times by Abhijit Banerjee and Ester Duflo.

Not done reading yet but seems to be an objective take on things [it is explained very clearly in this book, without any unnecessary jargon, the effects of different (differentiated as per their level of skill) migrants on the wages of native populations etc] as they are, and the arguments presented in this book have been very persuasive so far. I love it.

Last edited:

Olive00

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
I’m reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. The story is described so realistically that it seems to you that you are also now in Australia and watching the events. Every story of the main characters touches the soul and you are sincerely worried about them. It is an engaging story filled with murder and mystery. The idea is very interesting. On the first page you will find out that the murder happened. But throughout the story, you have no idea who is the victim. At the same time, the genre cannot be called a detective story. A fascinating book about relationships.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Just finished Later by Stephen King.
Was an alright book, easy to read and definitely good for those who want something with a bit of tension and spooky elements - but not too much. Not my favorite book of his. Feel like he could have done a bit more with the concept of this story (being able to see the spirits of people after they pass).

So what's on my to read list? Bought way too many books this year (oops).
Currently reading Monkey King by Wu Cheng'en and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just finished The Phantom of The Opera, interesting novel with lots of twists and turns. Erik as a character was kind of average as a hopeless romantic but that's about it for him.

Now I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Finished Midnight Library by Matt Haig yesterday. It’s a story about depression, life would indeed be different if we chose different paths in life. Would we be happier though?
Liked the overall writing style of the author, it’s simple yet not childlike. Makes an easy readout of a heavy topic.
Not a bad book, enjoyable and interesting concept, it was definitely relatable at points - I was kinda waiting to be moved by this story but that didn’t happen for me.

Still trying to read Lolita, but it makes me feel disgusted at times for obvious reasons~ small parts at a time