The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread | Page 21 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
To be honest, I'm not all for including older manga, at least big ones since they already had the attention they deserved and more. Less popular manga and manga that have not as many reader to me sounds better to nominate, so while I didn't mind OP and Naruto being nominated, I did feel a bit sad because it meant non-mainstream manga would get overlooked. I'd much prefer hearing about those manga than the mainstream ones, even if they are good.

HegemonKhan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
maybe after this manga awards, with the next Awards... we'll see more of a variety of nominations and nomination winners, and maybe even vote (final) winners too.

that would be the test to see if this was a "stepping stone" or not :D

------------------------------------------------

(if Claymore takes over most/all the categories, and more people post in the Claymore section, that would be my dream-day, hehe) :D

-------------------------------------------------

(or of course as been mentioned, we could just exclude the big 3 or other ones that won too many categories or whatever. probably the easiest method to not have such a diverse-lacking results of winners)

Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Mr. Prince said:
And what I also noticed was a serious lack of love for classics. What was the oldest entry we had? I guess, early 80s Nausicaä is the only real exception here. (Edit: Oh, forgot Dragonball for Hairstyle...)
I mean, don't get me even started: Tezuka Osamu? Matsumoto Leiji? Fujiko Fujio? Nagai Go? Taniguchi Jiro? Ootomo Katsuhiro? - Just to name a hand full of legends who contributed so, so much and made manga what it is today...
Totally agree with you, but the sad fact is that most people have really never heard of them :( Most people go for recent stuff, stuff that is serialised now or didn't end too long ago. I myself haven't even heard of any of those names outside of Tezuka (whose work I am only beginning to read now!) and Fujiko. And another thing is their availability. Most old old series don't have Edited Mangas, and even if there were official versions in people's bookshops, they probably never notice them...

Hege... At least some Claymore nominations made the final round... None from Bakuman did :scry But not like I should be saying anything as even I didn't nominate anything from Bakuman :ninja I mean, don't get me wrong, Bakuman is a very good manga. It's just that if you break it down to categories, then there are things that score better (in my books at least) in the various categories. But all in all, it's a good manga. Recommend it. Very different from your standard fare, and a good eye-opener to the manga publishing world :thumbs

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
To be honest, I'm not all for including older manga, at least big ones since they already had the attention they deserved and more.
[...]
I'd much prefer hearing about those manga than the mainstream ones, even if they are good.
Well, you certainly are right in some ways. They had some attention -> but that's mostly in Japan.
I always find it a little sad and to a certain point even quite shocking to see how small the amount of people is who really read some older series. I mean, after all they're part of a grand tradition. It's mostly thanks to those classics that we can enjoy certain series we love nowadays. It's kinda like... "set books" or "basic education" of manga to some extent.
So, not only are you missing out some damn awesome first rate series if you don't read them (I for one am convinced that most new series can't compare to a fair amount of stuff we got back in the days. Like if I compare Weekly Shounen JUMP series nowadays and what was serialized in the 80's or early 90's, holy cow... quality sure has dropped.). If you do, you'll also gain deeper knowledge about manga as a whole and therefore will be able to enjoy even newer titles more in the end.

But maybe that's a matter of taste and "reader's philosophy". Just like with literature: there sure are enough people who enjoy reading their Twilight books and would never dare to read some Shakespeare unless you hold a gun to their head... :tem (Same goes vice versa, of course.)

And we certainly sit in the same boat when it comes to wishing to see more non-mainstream or indi stuff. I was happy enough to get a spread of an Asano Inio manga into the final round, which even came in second!

Totally agree with you, but the sad fact is that most people have really never heard of them :( Most people go for recent stuff, stuff that is serialised now or didn't end too long ago. I myself haven't even heard of any of those names outside of Tezuka (whose work I am only beginning to read now!) and Fujiko. And another thing is their availability. Most old old series don't have Edited Mangas, and even if there were official versions in people's bookshops, they probably never notice them...
Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I even remember people who asked me for recommendations saying stuff like "Ugh... don't wanna read that, it's too old!" :facepalm
But I have to agree that availability's a bitch... most Edited Manga groups prefer to do stuff which has a high demand from readers' side. It's kinda like a vicious circle really... xD (No demand for old series -leads to-> translators/Manga Editors ignoring the series -leads to-> less old series available -leads to-> less people knowing about them...and so on.)
And don't get me started on availability of official releases. Either they simply don't exist or they're out of print since ages. [I own some volumes which go for several hundred Euros on ebay... (Not like I'd want to sell them though, of course.^^)]

But sal-chan knows Japanese, so that's no excuse for you. :tem If you're bored some time, be sure to check out some of those legends' works. :p

//Oh btw: I don't wanna come off as some regressive/conservative longtime manga fan who yearns for the better times so I'll probably better leave this topic be. xD"

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
For the next mangahelpers awards, let's forbid votes in all categories for any manga which won at least one award (from the global list, from the modo list or from the MH Stars list).

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
For the next mangahelpers awards, let's forbid votes in all categories for any manga which won at least one award (from the global list, from the modo list or from the MH Stars list).
Hm... somehow it's a very interesting thought to ban all the obviously popular choices for a season. Perhaps that could be made a special event (maybe with less categories) some day.

For the usual awards, I think that this isn't doable. A majority of voters would only know one or two choices per category if at all probably, I don't think that it would be good.

If this could result in a special event in the future, it would need different rules to follow. Like making a brief introduction into the manga for every nomination mandatory, as well as more time before the voting begins to give people the possibility to peek at some of the nominees, as probably many unknown manga would be part of that.
This is pure personal speculation though, thanks for the input.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mr. Prince:

I unfortunately didn't even know of the existence of manga/anime back in the 80's and 90's at that time (cries! I now can't live without manga/anime, hehe. thank you school friends chatting about DBZ in class in ~ year 2000'ish, yep that was my introduction to the wonderful world of anime/manga!!!), and haven't read/watched any or nearly any from back then (I think the oldest animes I've watched were DB and Hellsing but I'm too lazy to look up their dates and other animes' dates), but I agree with you never the less. because...

in the U.S., the 80's and 90's WERE the *GOLDEN YEARS* (*Golden Years*) of movies, tv shows (yes, actual series with good stories/plots too except their budgets ran out and weren't completed, ARGH!, lol), and electronic games! Absolute Classics that remain better then almost much stuff nowadays! The U.S. actually made stuff with actual quality stories, back then, unlike most stuff nowaways.

(if you agree and know about 80's+90's U.S. stuff and are interested, I'd love to chat with you about it as I have lots of stuff to mention/talk about hehe. we could compared our favorites :D)

and from reading your post it seems the same was true in Japan as well with their manga/anime.

Last edited:

Lelo

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
Best Villain- Orochimaru(Naruto)
Everything about him is evil and creepy. The words he uses, the way his tongue comes out, his crazy eyes and of course the snakes

Best Plot twist- Itachi(Naruto) is really a good guy.
i was shocked when it happen. He went from a Badass Villain to a guy who dedicated his life to Konoha and his little brother

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Late nominations are late.

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. >.<
How do I vote?

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Sorry, the MangaHelpers Manga Awards is already over! However, you may participate in the currently ongoing MangaHelpers Anime Awards and vote in the polls that can be found here :)