Others - The Nintendo Switch Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Others The Nintendo Switch Thread

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
So, with the Nintendo Switch now being out, what do we think of it? What games are we currently enjoying on it? What functionality would we like to see it have in the future? What games do we want for it in the future? Let's discuss.

Personally, I love the switch. I think the concept is great, and in a way it's basically an evolved version of the Wii U as both have a handheld aspect, yet with the Switch I can take it anywhere and play it there which is honestly amazing.
I think the switch is a bit incomplete as unlike the 3DS, WiiU etc. it doesn't have an internet browser and some other things currently but hopefully they ad it in the future.

Now for the games talk. I've only got Zelda Breath of the Wild for it but holy moley is it something else. It's felt really special since I started it, and as I've gone on the game has gotten better and better. Definitely one of the best Zeldas I've played and possibly one of the best games I've ever played too.
Games I'm hoping the switch will get in the future include a Smash Bros., a Pokemon game (main series, not a spin-off) and as for titles already announced, I can't wait for Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the 2018 Fire Emblem Game.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't really own one yet though since the reveal the concept has not been appealing to me. The switch is simply so far removed from anything I think would make a good console that I simply dislike it. Being able to game on the go is really not that big deal to me so a console built around that to me sounds ridiculous. It's not even that I think graphics or FPS are a huge deal either, it's just that being able to game on the go does not add or take anything. That said, I absolutely hate playing on a small screen. I remember playing splatoon on the wii U, which was a legitimately fun game but overall felt nothing but visceral hatred for the twisted bastard who came up with the lunacy of one player being on the TV and the other being forced to play from the tablet. More of this does not appeal to me even a little bit and I would literally not buy a game if this is a thing.

As for the tiny controllers on the side, absolutely not. I couldn't stand using the wii's controller sideways even for mario kart... I kinda need a proper controller to play regardless of the platform (right now I use mostly PC and even then I avoid keyboard like the plague regardless of the game).

In any case, the switch does not really seem to have any features that appeal to me. The mobile aspect is not a plus for me. Not that I would object to taking it to, say, a friends place but taking the switch wouldn't be more convenient than taking any other console. The small controllers are stupid and I simply wouldn't buy a game that specifically required them unless the gameplay was somehow insanely innovative for some reason. So my perspective is that the switch has a mobile aspect which does remarkably little for me and the side controllers which past experience has taught me suck. And without that the switch is simply an under-powered console. It is certainly not worth 300 bucks based on horsepower alone.

The only reason I might ever consider buying a switch is that nintendo starts consistently producing BOTW quality games. As in, game after game that are at the very least better than that. Which of course would be beyond ridiculous.

Seeing what people say about the switch so far I get the feeling that people are talking more about BOTW than the switch itself. As in, the hype is at the wrong place as far as nintendo is concerned. Nintendo needs to move hype from BOTW to the switch.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Lot of cool stuff in the new Nintendo Direct considering Switch titles. Or well cool, if you are interested in ARMS, Splatoon and amiibos. The stream was full of people whining for Smash/Pokemon/Virtual Console/etc., even if Nintendo did say before hand, that it will be mostly about ARMS and Splatoon. :oh

ARMS will release on 20.6, which is a bit more far in the spring I hoped for. The battle system seems to be more complicated than initially thought. You can swap different arms on any character, and there is also status effect system (fire/ice/shock/blind/etc). Also sixth fighter revealed, a girl with noodle hands. The high point imho was though the reveal of 2vs2 mode. That's gonna be fun I bet.

For Splat2on, the major thing was a new PvE mode, where your team of freelancer Squids takes on swarms of zombie tuna. Yup. Looked fun.

Also I wish I had so much money I could collect amiibos. All 3 new Links looked awesome. And the Inklings. And Bayonetta. And Cloud. Specifically Cloud.

I'm quite full of Zelda now, and at this point the lack of games hit me. Though there title that are awesome and I haven't played yet in the eShop (Shovel Knight and I am Setsuna interesting me the most), I think I'm patiently gonna wait for MK8.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lot of cool stuff in the new Nintendo Direct considering Switch titles. Or well cool, if you are interested in ARMS, Splatoon and amiibos. The stream was full of people whining for Smash/Pokemon/Virtual Console/etc., even if Nintendo did say before hand, that it will be mostly about ARMS and Splatoon. :oh

ARMS will release on 20.6, which is a bit more far in the spring I hoped for. The battle system seems to be more complicated than initially thought. You can swap different arms on any character, and there is also status effect system (fire/ice/shock/blind/etc). Also sixth fighter revealed, a girl with noodle hands. The high point imho was though the reveal of 2vs2 mode. That's gonna be fun I bet.

For Splat2on, the major thing was a new PvE mode, where your team of freelancer Squids takes on swarms of zombie tuna. Yup. Looked fun.

Also I wish I had so much money I could collect amiibos. All 3 new Links looked awesome. And the Inklings. And Bayonetta. And Cloud. Specifically Cloud.

I'm quite full of Zelda now, and at this point the lack of games hit me. Though there title that are awesome and I haven't played yet in the eShop (Shovel Knight and I am Setsuna interesting me the most), I think I'm patiently gonna wait for MK8.
I'm playing through Zelda again and I am Setsuna currently, and I can definitely say Setsuna is a good game that would be worth a look at.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I'm playing through Zelda again and I am Setsuna currently, and I can definitely say Setsuna is a good game that would be worth a look at.

Ended up skipping Setsuna, but it is still there waiting in the eShop.

I got Shovel Knight, which is brilliant if you are into hard old-school platformers.

But saved up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and been very happy I did. It's a brilliant game, very well crafted and lots of fun. I have enjoyed the online play suprsingly lot, even if I get destroyed most of the time.

But yeah, MK8D is pretty much perfect as far as the karting concept goes. Lots of characters and karts, great track desgins, pretty visuals, good gameplay and mechnics. Not sure how they can up the game anymore for MK9.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Just came from ARMS Global Test Punch demo session, and I must say I'm starting to love the game. The motion control are incredibly fun, and once you start to get a hang of it, the mechanics and the system have pretty deep strategy and potential for very interesting meta game. I really enjoyed itm particular the "Hah, outplayed you totally"- and the "Wow, that was smart comeback, well played"-moments. Made me kinda wish for sound chat, which is something I did not miss pre-testing.

But yeah, totally getting the game. And I hope it develops an active but relaxed competitive scene, because it feels like something I could really get into, thanks to the motion control and the in-built strategy aspects of the game.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I picked up a couple of new games for the switch recently in Splatoon 2 and Fate/Extella and I've got to say I'm loving both. Splatoon 2 is a lot of fun, and multiplayer is it's best part imo. I've put a bit of time in so far and it's a fun ride. As for Fate/Extella, I was expecting it to be just like Hyrule Warriors but it's very story driven and while gameplay is like Warriors, it's also a lot more fun and as I just touched on, the story also makes it really entertaining.
Nero's bride costume though

:hurr:hurr:hurr

Just came from ARMS Global Test Punch demo session, and I must say I'm starting to love the game. The motion control are incredibly fun, and once you start to get a hang of it, the mechanics and the system have pretty deep strategy and potential for very interesting meta game. I really enjoyed itm particular the "Hah, outplayed you totally"- and the "Wow, that was smart comeback, well played"-moments. Made me kinda wish for sound chat, which is something I did not miss pre-testing.

But yeah, totally getting the game. And I hope it develops an active but relaxed competitive scene, because it feels like something I could really get into, thanks to the motion control and the in-built strategy aspects of the game.
ARMS definitely looks like fun and something I could get down the track. If you've got the full version of the game now, how is it?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Half an year now, and I absolutely love my Switch. Suits my needs perfectly, since I need a flexible portable console to satisfy my gaming needs.

Also the game catalog is pretty impressive. Before release a lot of people were demonizing the lack of games, but at the moment I don't feel like I have lack of options, but rather I already have 6 games and have difficulties on choosing the next one I can afford. Short summary of my fav games this far:

1. Breath of the Wild
- Still the best.

2. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Surprise hit for me. Ranks high on my list mostly due to personal references though. I love turn-based strategy games, and this one is fun and surprisingly deep that works very well. No, I still don't like rabbids. But this eased my antipathy towards them. Some of the rabbid gags were actually funny. Particulary the Phantom boss battle was one of the best boss experiences ever, Mario got roasted so hard.

3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Still an amazing game. Best Mario Kart ever and insanely fun.

4. Splatoon 2
-Another multiplayer gold mine. Lots of fun, easy to access, hard to master.

5. Shovel Knight
- A modern classic for a reason. Works on Switch as well.

6. ARMS
- Despite being my least favorite of the games I own, it still is a great game. Learning curve is pretty big though to success in online. There is more to it than meets the eye, not just a motion control gimmick game.

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Buying the Switch day-one is the best decision I made this year. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are two of my favorite games of all time.
My favorite Switch games released are:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Odyssey
3. Splatoon
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The rest are kind of mixed in terms of how I'd rank them. I own a bunch of other games too, but how high my opinion is of them could vary between moods. I liked Arms a lot, although not as much as I thought I would.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
With the year nearly up, I just thought I'd say what a great first 9 or so months the switch has had. From the strong launch with Breath of the Wild to the release of other good to great games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, I'd say the switch has been a real success so far with it selling more than 10 million units. Before the start of this month, I would've said Breath of the Wild is the Switch's best game, but upon playing a newly released game I'm actually finding BOTW's status as my Switch Game of the Year being challenged rather strongly. The game is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and my god, it's wonderful. I've put in ~100 hours in 2 weeks, and it's addictive. The battle system is great, and fairly simple to get your head around, but what really makes X2 wonderful for me is it's story and soundtrack which is where I think it beats BOTW. They make the game such an incredible experience and even though I haven't finished the story yet, it's quite the ride and I'd recommend it to anyone who is into JRPGs or is looking for another game to try on the switch. Really great fun (even if the English voice acting isn't always good).

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Interesting how you raved about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, considering that my circle of friends doesn't react too positively to it. (Not trying to imply you aren't entitled to enjoy it, but I honestly don't know many people who enjoy the game as much as you do)

But anyway, I've been considering to gift myself a Switch. I hardly have any attachment to the Nintendo console or franchise (I only play like, 4 Zelda games at most) but I've been itching to play BOTW and Odyssey. I feel like I'm missing something that many people were gushing about so much last year, so I'm planning to catch up. But maybe I am going to wait for the next Pokemon game to be announced on Switch, though.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Interesting how you raved about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, considering that my circle of friends doesn't react too positively to it. (Not trying to imply you aren't entitled to enjoy it, but I honestly don't know many people who enjoy the game as much as you do)

But anyway, I've been considering to gift myself a Switch. I hardly have any attachment to the Nintendo console or franchise (I only play like, 4 Zelda games at most) but I've been itching to play BOTW and Odyssey. I feel like I'm missing something that many people were gushing about so much last year, so I'm planning to catch up. But maybe I am going to wait for the next Pokemon game to be announced on Switch, though.
I think the game does divide people a bit, I've seen people drop it because they can't understand the combat system (which isn't very complicated imo), and those who have finished it have raved about it and say it's a possible contender for Game of the Year in 2017. BOTW and Odyssey are great picks for games to get with the switch, you can find yourself losing many hours playing them haha.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So a quick (and unnecessary) update: finally I pulled the trigger earlier this month and decided to buy it. The console is bigger than I initially thought, but the pleasant surprise is that the display is amazing for a handheld. Yeah it's incapable of 4K gaming obviously, but it's not a dealbreaker at all for me. Bought Zelda and Odyssey as I planned back then, but haven't touched them yet because I've been pretty busy doing real life things. On the other hand, I've played plenty of 3rd party indie games on it - Celeste, The Fall 2, and Night in the Woods - of course I could easily play them on PC, but it's really convenient to be able to play them on something that's portable and suitable for commuting.

Oh and I bought Bayonettas too, even though I am pretty sure I'm not gonna play it in the foreseeable future, lol.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
We're finally getting Smash for Switch!

Fingers crossed it's a new game and not a port, I think it'll be new though mainly because of the new Link design (BOTW).

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Since I made an half an year recap post, thought why not do bit over an year post as well.

Still very happy. It suits my needs well, since I'm on the move often and like to dedicate PC for work and art only these days.

Games have been solid, and there is a lot to choose from in the E-shop. Nothing partuculary stand outs for me though. Sure, Odyssey and Xenoblade (even with it's flaws) are amazing, but they didn't really enchant me like BotW did. Or even Kingdom Battle.

E-shop evolution has been curious. First there was nothing. But as new things slowly dropped in, it was very well curated. Every patch of new games were of that old school Nintendo seal of quality stuff. Untill just recently. For long the E-shop felt special. But now, more and more crap is getting in and good titles drown in the sea of quantity. Like in any other online game store. Hope they step up at the curating again, before it becomes another Steam.

Then, for the top list of my games. More of an personal taste list rather than serious analytical rating;

1. BotW
2. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
6. Celeste
7. Shovel Knight / Darkest Dungeon
9. Splatoon 2
10. I am Setsuna
11. Doom/Skyrim
13. Kirby Star Allies
14. ARMS
15. Sparkle EVO 2

I also have Bayonettas 1/2 But haven't had the chance to play properly. Those don't work too well in the handheld mode.

I also have played Overcooked and Nine Parchments as couch co-op at friends place and both were a lot of chaotic fun. Preferred Overcooked though. It was more functional as party game in it's simplicity, yet it was very rewarding as you honed the team communication.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
who's getting smash? would be cool if we can have enough people for some MH online battle

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Me! My connection has been iffy though lately, might need a new router.

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Me! My connection has been iffy though lately, might need a new router.
that's cool. dunnot about smash but mario kart online never required a high connection speed.
my friend code: SW-5544-3525-6314
right now i only have: BoTW, MK8 and Octopath traveler. Already got Smash pre-loaded. waiting to finish BoTW before buying another solo game. Got many others solo games i wanna play such as mario rabbids, mario odyssey, bayonetta 2, pokemon let's go, stardew valley but i reckon i'll be busy with BoTW for 2 more months at least.

hope we get more smash players. @Farfalla @riki i'm looking at you :plot
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The announcer trailer

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I'd need a switch for that and I alrdy regretted listening to Hardy and buying the Wii U '_'
:rofl
oh my god @Hardy , even nintendo consider the Wii U as a failure, nobody bought that. just sell it and have hardy buy you a switch :p

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Wii U is kind of good for the virtual console though... Switch is still lacking massively in that department.

I preordered Smash, have Zelda, Mario+Rabbids, Megaman 11, and now the new Pokemon. I have some other indie games on it too.