The Olympics - General Discussion | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Olympics - General Discussion

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
^ Sometimes I wonder about the athletes and their use of drugs or enhancements. But having said that - having the pressures of being an Olympian / representing your country, etc. Must notably be high on these athletes. Some maybe doing so in terms of doping or other drugs / steroids & with many recent scandals in sports or whatnot that have come to light in recent years. You cant deny that it maybe occurring / under looked / scales we don't know about.
If someone is doing it and not caught.... In the end they'd only be cheating themselves.

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I find these Olympics not as eventful as the Beijing ones, more records and more memorable moments were present then, it really pushed everything to the limit, from the opening ceremonies to the sporting events, it was just better. D: A good amount of interesting things here and there in this one, but it just lacks SOMETHING, even Bolt won without a record, perhaps he set the limit too high? For both 100m and 200m. Running out of time for spectacular events, maybe Phelps getting the record of all time medalist or Andy winning the Tennis final. Those really stood out.
I can think of two possible reasons:

1. There was hype and controversy surrounding the Beijing Olympics before it even started because China is a communist state with a questionable human rights record. On the other hand the press coverage before London has been rather quiet besides the news of "the torch is in [place] and so-and-so is carrying it".
  2. Beijing introduced the whole world to Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. We already know who they are in London so these two atheltes earning a few more gold medals is something we expected.

Personally I enjoyed this Olympics as much as the last one. Saudi Arabia had women compete for the first time, and Oscar Pistorius broke barriers by competing in the Olympics and the Paralympics. If there's nothing else to take from this year's Olympics, hopefully these two examples will be something we associate with London 2012 when Rio comes along.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't watched much or most of the Olympics. The last one I saw the Bejing one and felt China set a very high bar. I didn't really think any-other countries would be able to match....
Having said that, from what I've seen and heard from this one, its pretty clear London went all out. You can't really ask for more than that. All in all - jolly good show.