Tribute to the Author Kentaro Miura | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Tribute to the Author Kentaro Miura

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Berserk was a phenomenon, i wasnt a regular in the subthread but i have been reading berserk way before i joined this forum which itself is a decade ago. I wish this didn't happen and we had few decades for Miura to pump in 10 more chaps or so but it is what it is.
It really is an end of an era for me, one of the most fantastic seinen ever drawn ends.
Anime News Network article on Miura passing away

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you for making a tribute thread @shaheer , I think it's a nice idea for anyone who wants to to write a bit about their experiences with Berserk.

For me, I only got into Berserk when the pandemic kicked off just over a year ago but now I'm devastated to hear of Miura's passing. Berserk as a series was something that got me through a tough time in the pandemic, and what I took out of it was a lot more than what I expected to. Not only is it wonderfully entertaining and engrossing, but Berserk is like a mirror to the world humanity finds itself in. It reflects the good, the bad, and the ugly in ways that can evoke a myriad of emotions and yet for how horrifying it can be at times it never loses that beauty. Guts' journey and his growth is special, as he grows from the bitter husk he had become post-eclipse to slowly become human and learn to trust others, while the others also grew around him no matter what was around them. Miura crafted a story that belongs in art museums and inserts you directly into the world, seeing things unfold and become increasingly invested in Guts' journey of healing.

For Miura to pass away now is a tragedy, but I'm incredibly grateful for what we do have. We likely won't see a conclusion even with the unreleased chapters that apparently exist, but for the journey we've had so far I still think Miura managed to create a masterpiece that while deeply entrenched in fantasy, still felt the most human with it's cast of characters. Thank you for everything Miura-sensei, and Rest in Peace 🙏

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Berserk was one of those things, that really blew my mind about what manga, or comics in general, could be. And what comic art could potentially be, when I encountered it my teens, the hell, almost two decades ago. I had never before read a fantasy story, that was so dark, deep and so immersive reading experience. I remember binging the existing chapters in just a few days. The conclusion of the Golden Age arc was a very emotional 3AM moment for me, one of the most devastating in my life.

Thank you Miura-sensei for everything you gave us. Rest in peace.

A$APBog

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I got into Berserk seven or eight years ago.
It was something which seemed cult, deep and very unique.

To be honest, the first part of the manga satisfied me without blewing my mind. It was everything I expected in a very different way. I was already asking myself "How can you get to this A to the B of the very first chapters of the manga, it does not make any sense".

Then the Eclipse came and it was incredible. It was one of the first time in my life that I was reading pure despair with an art which was surely one of most unique and beautiful style I've ever seen.

Then we went to know Isidro, Farnese, Serpico and Schrieke. Guts and Miura faced a God, a dictator and angels without at any moment betraying their styles. It was so frustrating because the result was insane, but the quantity of work was also a real torture. Because it was too good.

Miura inspired so many people, he reached so many minds. He was also one of the artists I could introduce my friends to when they said "Mangas/Animes are all the same".

He surely was one of the author who spread the most the culture we love and I'm grateful that he even existed.

Bye Miura.

Zmsp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
His work will be timeless.
That's the biggest compliment you can give for a man who invested what he did into his craft.

Thank you.

gcd

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My English is not that great but in a few words, I love berserk/Miura, you will be missed a lot, the only manga that I still love. Rest in peace, all the best to your family, and let's hope that in some way berserk gets a ending, so sad 😢.

Hype

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I started Watching/reading Berserk when I 18 ..that was 22 year's ago. I pretty much grew up all of my adult life with Guts ,Casca,Rickert Juneau, Pippin, Corpus, Griffith and the Hawks. Then of course puck, isidiro , Faroese, Sergio, Skull knight and Scheirke. I never met Muira in person but reading all these years I felt if I ever had the chance it be like talking to an old friend . Berserk taught me perseverance, follow your dreams , and even if as one person making a dent in the grand scheme of life that doesn't matter, make your own purpose and carve out our own path. Guts is an Übermensch in my opinion and that directly a major influence on how I go about my own life. Kentaro Miura you invited all of us into your journey and we thank you, we are all Strugglers now regardless if you started reading next week or when it first came out .
I feel so down but one Berserk reinforces is life don't owe us Jack but true free will lies in how we respond. RiP 1966-2021 Kentaro Miura , godspeed. We will all finish our own struggles, love you my dude and to all fellow strugglers, stay strong.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Berserk is forever cemented now as #1.
Best Binge Read Ever of a New Series, that gripped me and dragged me deep into it’s world of Fantasia; Loved every bit of it. It’s sad but I will always Love it. Also the only manga I started to collect and was serious about getting all the volumes.

Thank You Miura for Creating Bersek. Sleep Well

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
RIP Kentaro Miuma

An iconic artist and author passing away far too young. He inspired generations with his signature style and brought dark fantasy to manga. His influence on the world of anime and manga will continue to live on.

ANBU4U

Reaction score
Country
United States
RIP Miura Sensei. Berserk is a seminal masterpiece. As many here have mentioned, I started reading the series back in 2006, and while I still read manga the breadth of titles as severely narrowed over the decades. But I NEVER stopped waiting on pins and needles for Berserk releases. Its inspired SO much Dark Fantasy that I have loved and enjoyed since its debut in '86. If you enjoy Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, even Game of Thrones, then you should thank Kentaro Miura.

I doubt we'll ever really see it finished. But what's been done is enough, and in some ways satisfactorily complete. Casca is whole. She and Guts aren't the same but nothing ever could be after what happened. Maybe this is fitting, maybe its enough. Maybe Griffith wasn't evil incarnate and instead was a pretty great guy that had to do awful things in order to make a utopia. Maybe the kid just showed up to spend time with his father.

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn he was only 54 oh man that's terrible. However yeah we are all wondering if his vision will ever see completion after all he spent decades working on this story.

This is like when I heard about Daisuke Satō's (High school of the Dead) death right as his work was taking off...

Mixed feelings between sadness and frustration... I heard about Berserk for about a decade but always put it off to read later then a few years back when the golden age arc films came out I fell down the Beserk rabbit hole and was totally hooked. I read every manga chapter in like a week and still remember those key moments that made my jaw hit the floor like the massive Kushan army or seeing Falconia for the first time...

Oh man ,,,,RIP

Found this on an old forum.

levity to defeat tragedy.

Last edited:

Prxnce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Berserk was the first manga I ever picked up, I was fortunate enough to be one of the many who were there when releases were regular.

It marked my entry into the world of reading when other children had Harry Potter and other western novelties. I never regretted being different. When serialization became problematic I found myself looking for distractions but they found me instead.

Honestly I’ve probably read just about everything out there, so much that I forget but it has never filled the void left by Miura.

Berserk is always at the surface of my strange mind and rightly so, I see Miura’s influences everywhere; in our Movies, our Games, our Comics our communities and in our personal struggles we all go through in this thing called life.

Every distraction we have from such hardships brings Berserk to thought but now tragedy has instead brought its shadow out of the darkness for the world to see and that shadow is but a memory — A memory of a man the world remembers now because he is gone. Its as if he was never here, and that is why its so sad.

Rest in peace, Sensei.

BurnSchulz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I never read berserk but i know a friend who likes it very much.
All i know that the Manga was far from being finished and thus the death of Kentaro Miura will leave a gaping hole in all manga fans.

I just learned about the death and immediately contacted my friend about it.
I also remembered a thread i saw many years ago here on this side which was called something like "Kentaro Miura will die before Berserk is finished"
Although i believe it was meant as a light joke because Berserk was released so unregularly, it now became bitter reality which makes me sad.

I dunno, i think i just wanted to let you know youre not alone and you have empathy from manga fans all over the world even tho they never read Berserk.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hard to process this news right now but I figured I would share a few of my thoughts on Berserk with you all. Before I do that though, I would like to express my deepest condolences towards Miura's family and friends. From everything I have read about him, he sounds like a passionate artist that helped provide his assistants with the livelihood they needed to settle down in their lives. The loss of him as a person is far greater than the loss of some of his creation.

I am not a long-time fan compared to people who have been following the series for several decades. I started reading Berserk 4 years ago and I can remember being absolutely hooked for the handful of weeks I spent reading it with a friend (not an uncommon reaction from what I have gathered here xD). The high-intensity action and the suffocating atmosphere bolstered by Miura's incredible skill as a cartoonist were certainly memorable, but what stuck with me perhaps the most were the quieter moments in the story. Berserk isn't usually mentioned as a particularly 'sensitive' manga, and that is completely understandable considering its subject matter. However, the sheer hardship many of the characters go through wouldn't have had as much impact if there were no moments of joy to show that the struggle was worth it. One moment that comes to mind in the last 30 chapters was when Guts reflects on his journey with Roderick and Serpico. It was only a couple of pages but it is an example of a wholesome exchange that you would never expect in a manga such as this. That is not the only moment that gives off those vibes either, and there are many others that portray more of a bittersweet tone that is no less powerful.

Obviously, it is unfortunate that the story will not be concluded. Despite that fact, I am more than content with what we received from Miura. Casca and Guts still have traumas to overcome, but I feel a certain sense of ease knowing that they are surrounded by the support they need to continue to heal those wounds. Miura's core message isn't embodied any better than with their character arcs - 'Struggle Onwards'

Thank you, Miura-Sensei, you've left quite a legacy.

Last edited:

Rikudou King

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well this is truly a sad event. Even putting aside the idea that we'll never see the rightful conclusion to Berserk, it's really depressing to know someone who I looked up to have died. I really hope at the very least he was able to go peacefully, and it wasn't due to overworked, which I know is a major issue for mangakas. I offer my full condolences, RIP Kentaro Miuma.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He reportedly passed away due to an "acute aortic dissection".

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time I saw Berserk, I was maybe my 3rd or 4th years in the USA. That would be around 2003-2004. Hmm, so even before I joined the forum. I borrowed some dvds from a friend which including Naruto (Chunin exam). Berserk was pretty dark for a middle schooler then. And since then it had been part of my top 5 favorite manga that I enjoy. To be honest, the news of the death which I learn late yesterday didn't quite hit me. I guess all the hiatus had draw my attention from the series, to the point I kinda okay with never finishing the story. I hope though that he found some leisure time, and personal time with his love ones in the last few years. I am at the age where people who define a lot of my childhood are starting to drop one by one. Jin Yong, Stan Lee, etc. I guess some of you probably feeling the level of anguish that I had feel when Fujiko F. Fujio die in 1996, or even when Anthony Bourdain die. It like saying good bye to an old friend. A friend you never really meet but you had let them in to your heart and mind, and influence so much of your thoughts and emotions. Of course, of his writing, most people probably mostly mention Griffith. But I always impress at how he wrote Farnese. Characters like that is very hard to write, the same difficulty of saying writing Sansa for George RR Martin. She never really my favorite, but I always thought she is one of the more interesting fictitious female character that I have the pleasure of reading. Serpico is my favorite though. I know a lot of folks prefer the Golden Age arc over all the stuffs that post Golden Age. But for me, I am glad that Guts isn't so lonely anymore. That he found new travel companions. I don't know why I talk about him as if he is real to me. I have experience the sort of loneliness that he felt. I have experienced the sort of childhood trauma that he had go through. Especially when I read Berserk I was at a point in my life that I was isolated due to poverty, cultural barrier, language barrier, and my own past. And even when things turn out for the better for Guts meeting the Band of the Hawk, when he had hope again for a normal life. The story just completely crush it. So it was nice to see him found companions in later arcs. All I can think about right now, was how heavy a second is. When I learned he passed away, each seconds just tick by. And there was a second between life and death. So small of a unit, but as heavy as a planet to move back. I hope the author live a life without regrets. That he was able to do most of what he wanted to do. That he was able to spent time with his love ones and that even though it was a sudden medical complication, that they had time to say goodbye somehow. And that his love ones and friends will find peace eventually. RIP Miura sensei. Good bye Guts and the rest. Let his life and work be the inspiration for many many great mangaka to come.

mangah

Reaction score
Country
Iran
well , I start to read berserk when I was 18 . now Im 30 years old ....
the story was above what mangas offer , it become a genre for itself , it become an standard ...

for me , good or bad , when mangaka end their manga , the story ends , the characters slowly fade into my unconsciousness .... but now , Guts , Grifith , Skull Knight , Serpico and all others character will live in my unconsciousness ...

a master peace that we didn't really get its ending ... although , at least Guts could save Kaska ...

the sad part was when we were joking , " Miura will die before he finish Berserk " , its sad that this joke/prediction become true , he was so young ....
its sad ...