Webtoon - unOrdinary by uru-chan | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Webtoon unOrdinary by uru-chan

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Genre:
Superhero, Drama, Action, Slice of Life
Author: uru-chan
Artist: uru-chan​

Description:The world is not perfect. Learning to deal with its flaws is just a normal part of life. But there comes a point where these imperfections spawn a crushing realization... that something needs to change...

My thoughts: People in this school are super mean. Also Sera is best girl obviously.​

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
You told me to read this @Tux and I did.

What are your current thoughts?

Mine are as follows.

1) Johnny boy needs to get his shit together. I get that he doesn't trust himself and clearly has some anger management issues. But I feel like he needs to find another personality gear between likable weakling and OP agro douchebag.

2) Clearly everybody the bullies Sera needs to die. That just seems right and correct to me.

3) Their is definitely a government conspiracy on the horizon.

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've been following this series since it began and after the point where John cracked, I've always thought that the author was really good at showing why exactly he had so diligently shirked his great powers. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and in his case that clearly shows. His power makes him an arrogant asshole, and Arlo was right in today's chapter for calling him out on wanting the position of King but none of the responsibilities. He was just leeching off of Arlo...

I know he has the potential to be a good person. Around certain people he is, it is only when he thinks he can just push people like Arlo around that his dark side comes out. I think that some day really soon he's going to need to use his powers to protect Seraphina and anyone else he loves. When that happens, their relationship will be deeply challenged. He lied to her for such a long time about being a cripple, and he did nothing with his power to help her after she lost hers. He'll need to come to terms with how to use that power for good eventually.

I'm not entirely sure what the long game is for the series right now, but I just want him to stop being such an ass :lmao

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I assume it's building to a superhero thing with him right?

Like we've got Remi and the other leaning more and more into going after Ember who they aren't strong enough to handle. And Sera too as she get's increasingly desperate to restore her powers. So the natural progression is to seek out somebody with more power. Which most of them will think is Aslo but some of them know is in fact John.

Though I think this series better be a little careful how much longer it goes with John playing helpless while he lets bad things around him happen. There is a line in superhero stuff that you don't want to cross. Where the protagonist goes from being flawed but sympathetic to unlikable and unsympathetic. And it's starting to edge a little close to that with him.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Exactly. That's my only concern right now. With this latest progression with Sera's capture though, this might be that point where he has to take matters into his own hands. He should he ashamed of himself, letting his best friend suffer like that.

I also don't know about John taking the superhero route. That just doesn't suit his style at all. I'm more inclined to think that he'll take up his father's philosophy shown in the Un0rdinary novel, where a man with no powers becomes the only true superhero that can save a craven socitey.

Edit: The character in Un0rdinary was the only person with powers in a world of cripples. Maybe the reason this book is banned is because it tells a history that the powers that be don't want published to the masses. So if that was the way powers came into the world, perhaps it's John's turn to save it without using his gifts, as that gift became spoilt in the hands of humanity, which is obvious to see.

In case you couldn't tell, I look really far into how the series namesake will direct the flow of the story moving into the future. :P

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly. That's my only concern right now. With this latest progression with Sera's capture though, this might be that point where he has to take matters into his own hands. He should he ashamed of himself, letting his best friend suffer like that.

I also don't know about John taking the superhero route. That just doesn't suit his style at all. I'm more inclined to think that he'll take up his father's philosophy shown in the Un0rdinary novel, where a man with no powers becomes the only true superhero that can save a craven socitey.

Edit: The character in Un0rdinary was the only person with powers in a world of cripples. Maybe the reason this book is banned is because it tells a history that the powers that be don't want published to the masses. So if that was the way powers came into the world, perhaps it's John's turn to save it without using his gifts, as that gift became spoilt in the hands of humanity, which is obvious to see.

In case you couldn't tell, I look really far into how the series namesake will direct the flow of the story moving into the future. :P
Interesting. My take on the book is a little different.

What I thought it meant was this. That to John the people around him are all cripples in a relative sense because he's so much stronger. And so it was the father trying to get across to him idea that a hero is somebody that doesn't use his power for himself. Like the person in that story.

----------------------------

I also have a slightly different take on why John still isn't doing anything. And this is me theory crafting around the idea that Uru-chan is going to have to somehow keep John likable. So I'm thinking he still believes that if he uses his power he'll do more harm to Sera than if he does nothing. Like Aslo thinks if John just uses his power everything will be fine and that pushing all the work on everybody else. But I feel like that can't be the case because if it is, then John character's appeal will have already taken a nearly fatal injury. The only way I see to dodge that is if John's Shadow King power and violent persona are linked, or the psychic guy made him think that they are. So he's still convinced he's picking the path that will do the least harm.

Because if turns out he's just being a selfish coward while Sera was getting beaten up and there is really nothing more to it. That's a tough one to bounce back from for a MC. Really tough.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I should add to that, that I'm suspecting the Authority and Ember are together in what they are doing and really banning the book because they are trying to keep superpowered people contained by selfishly fighting each other. Because if those people start looking around for injustice then they are afraid of what they'll find. Because clearly this society is fifteen different kinds of screwed up.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I generally like to read a work where i can like the MC(ToG a really good case here). What are your thoughts on the MC of this show? Likeable or otherwise?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I generally like to read a work where i can like the MC(ToG a really good case here). What are your thoughts on the MC of this show? Likeable or otherwise?
You'd hate him, I think.

Don't get me wrong he's very likable, especially at first. But as the plot has gone on it's played with some elements of his personality in ways that put that very much in question and has kind of held that there for the last 3rd or so of the comic.

I would say check back in like 3 months by then we'll know if he's got "hidden circumstances" or a huge redemption moment or something. For now though I would proceed with caution.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Interesting. My take on the book is a little different.

What I thought it meant was this. That to John the people around him are all cripples in a relative sense because he's so much stronger. And so it was the father trying to get across to him idea that a hero is somebody that doesn't use his power for himself. Like the person in that story.

----------------------------

I also have a slightly different take on why John still isn't doing anything. And this is me theory crafting around the idea that Uru-chan is going to have to somehow keep John likable. So I'm thinking he still believes that if he uses his power he'll do more harm to Sera than if he does nothing. Like Aslo thinks if John just uses his power everything will be fine and that pushing all the work on everybody else. But I feel like that can't be the case because if it is, then John character's appeal will have already taken a nearly fatal injury. The only way I see to dodge that is if John's Shadow King power and violent persona are linked, or the psychic guy made him think that they are. So he's still convinced he's picking the path that will do the least harm.

Because if turns out he's just being a selfish coward while Sera was getting beaten up and there is really nothing more to it. That's a tough one to bounce back from for a MC. Really tough.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I should add to that, that I'm suspecting the Authority and Ember are together in what they are doing and really banning the book because they are trying to keep superpowered people contained by selfishly fighting each other. Because if those people start looking around for injustice then they are afraid of what they'll find. Because clearly this society is fifteen different kinds of screwed up.
Good points, all of them. Some such as John's reasonings for holding back even now I've mulled over too. But I hadn't thought about the book in that way before and now I feel like an idiot because that's a really clear conclusion to make from things. I love the idea that there's this sort of intrigue about the authorities and the possibility that this is some super warped 1984 type setup for control of the masses is a big point to talk about.

EmberSpirit

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
My thoughts. It takes too much for anything to happen. Most panels are just rectangles devoid of real content all the way down.
Main character's personality is inconsistent. No way this angry annoying John screaming "get back here" is the same character from before.
More than a hundred chapters in and no real progress.
Bad choice of ability for the main character. Needs some Heroes level nerfs to make the story not be another op mc failure.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My thoughts. It takes too much for anything to happen. Most panels are just rectangles devoid of real content all the way down.
Main character's personality is inconsistent. No way this angry annoying John screaming "get back here" is the same character from before.
More than a hundred chapters in and no real progress.
Bad choice of ability for the main character. Needs some Heroes level nerfs to make the story not be another op mc failure.
I think the MC's ability can work. In fact I think it could be even stronger than it is and still work. It's pretty easy to make the enemy like the authority and go from there.

The real issue for me is that they need a sympathetic cornerstone to build the plot around. Which is supposed to be John but lately Sera has been playing substitute while they build up the drama angle for him. And I think uru-chan is playing with fire on that one. Because if people start disliking him it's a looooong way back to redemption with an audience. As a longtime reader of superhero comics, if I could talk to the author, I would encourage her to be really careful with that. There is a moral event horizon with an audience and once you cross into there is just no going back.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Another set up chapter huh. All of a sudden we seem to be getting closer to John's breaking point. I fully expect to see him use his powers to save Sera now. He's still an asshole and this character flaw needs to be fixed asap. It's agonizing. But can he please at least stop lying to everyone D:

Eracuel

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
I was reading unOrdinary, then decided to take a break so I would have more chapters to read and finally enjoy the plot. I just finished reading the last chapter, a little bit disappointed with the lack of progress..... taking another break.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think the MC's ability can work. In fact I think it could be even stronger than it is and still work. It's pretty easy to make the enemy like the authority and go from there.

The real issue for me is that they need a sympathetic cornerstone to build the plot around. Which is supposed to be John but lately Sera has been playing substitute while they build up the drama angle for him. And I think uru-chan is playing with fire on that one. Because if people start disliking him it's a looooong way back to redemption with an audience. As a longtime reader of superhero comics, if I could talk to the author, I would encourage her to be really careful with that. There is a moral event horizon with an audience and once you cross into there is just no going back.
I'll be genuinely surprised if author can make it work with this ability. From what I understand, he can feel and copy the abilities activated around him with the bonus of having them better than their owners. Unless she goes for the op mc route, she has to either somewhat nerf what he can do or have his opponents not activate their abilities like Arlo, both which I am not really excited about. We'll see if she can make it with this, but I'm not hopeful.

Everyone is a better character than John these chapters. We were supposed to dislike the people bullying him, but he is worse now.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll be genuinely surprised if author can make it work with this ability. From what I understand, he can feel and copy the abilities activated around him with the bonus of having them better than their owners. Unless she goes for the op mc route, she has to either somewhat nerf what he can do or have his opponents not activate their abilities like Arlo, both which I am not really excited about. We'll see if she can make it with this, but I'm not hopeful.

Everyone is a better character than John these chapters. We were supposed to dislike the people bullying him, but he is worse now.
It's not going to be easy but the key is going to be having threats at a level were that kind of strength is needed.

And, yeah, the paper bag psycho thing is.. odd.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's annoying me so much because I know how good of a character John can really be. He should be using his power or cripple survival skills to find Sera. Instead, he is beating up random bullies and now going after the people who are actually doing all the work of looking for Sera for him. What the hell is going through his head?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's annoying me so much because I know how good of a character John can really be. He should be using his power or cripple survival skills to find Sera. Instead, he is beating up random bullies and now going after the people who are actually doing all the work of looking for Sera for him. What the hell is going through his head?
I don't know.

What's more important to me is where uru-chan is going with this. There has to be a rational for this right? Like, you don't just take your pacifist main character and turn him into a crazy violent douchebag. I don't think any writer would do that unless they have an idea where they want to go with it. That said, I'm having a hard time seeing what it could be. And John is inching closer and closer to that moral event horizon.

Good lord, I hope uru-chan knows what she's doing.:(

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well John totally kicked Isen's ass. No surprises there. I'm admittedly still unsure as to what's going through this man's head yet. Isen even knew it was John, was going to help him. NOPE. Instead he gets a high-powered punch to the face. With that Cecil girl seemingly very interested in John's situation, I can see her trying to pull strings in order to set John up as a rival King to Arlo. However, knowing John, that's not going to end very well. And in whatever way it ends, it won't be pretty...

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So dumb. Did he want Isen's ability so he can search easier? That would somewhat make sense but it's still a big mess.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yikes. John is really acting like a demented idiot right now.