Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 354 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

How will Astro Royale perform on Shonen Jump?

• A Success

• Decently Well

• It Will Struggle

• A Flop

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024)
Psych House (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 54p; New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke)
SAKAMOTO DAYS
ONE PIECE
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page & Special Chapter)
Astro Royale
My Hero Academia
Kagurabachi (Color Page)
Kyokuto Necromance (23p)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Kill Blue (Color Page)
Blue Box
Jujutsu Kaisen
WITCH WATCH
Me & Roboco
Akane-banashi
Undead Unluck
The Elusive Samurai
Nue's Exorcist
Dear Anemone
Green Green Greens

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (2024) - Information
Cover & LCP: Kill Blue (1st Anniversary)
Color Pages: Akane-banashi; Psych House (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p); Yohei no Hei (One-Shot by Hideaki Nabe)
Absent: ONE PIECE

Last edited by a moderator:

Dongus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Kagurabachi started low but has built momentum and popularity as it's went on. It's safe now, especially with the two top battle shounen hits ending soon which will leave a huge gap for action in the magazine. I think it'd take a Magico-tier hated arc or character to collapse the series at this point and I get the impression the author's getting a good sense of what people like, and what he needs to improve upon.
Elaborate?

Anyway, my two cents on KGB's future is that Hokazono has been consistently competent from the very beginning and has not made any glaring errors in his storytelling. As long as he can keep a steady pace in improving as he is now, I'm sure this manga's gonna become a pillar for Jump for the next generation. The chapters after the end of the first arc were the ones I was iffy on because it's always a struggle for authors to make the next arc as interesting as the one he ends. But Hokazono transitioned beautifully, and it's better received than his first. I certainly think he hasn't had a chapter that was uninteresting throughout these past two months, and now he's gotten to start his big arc that he was building up from the first volume. There isn't anywhere he can go but up.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Magico (back in 2011 I think?) was doing pretty okay overall, some shaky parts but generally stable around the low-middle zone of the ToC, but then ~a year in it started an arc about a character stealing away the main girl which completely destroyed it in the ToC and got it cancelled soon after. it's one of the prime examples of how one bad arc can kill off a promising series.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
I was concerned for KBG once Sojo got to the hideout, cause a part of me thought it was too soon. But after some time of recovery it got better and I haven’t had a problem with the series story writing afterwards.

Dongus

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Magico (back in 2011 I think?) was doing pretty okay overall, some shaky parts but generally stable around the low-middle zone of the ToC, but then ~a year in it started an arc about a character stealing away the main girl which completely destroyed it in the ToC and got it cancelled soon after. it's one of the prime examples of how one bad arc can kill off a promising series.
Hey, didn't that totally happen in Shokugeki No Souma as well? Yeesh, you'd think these authors would learn not to attempt these sort of NTR plots.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Food Wars didn't have an NTR plot, it introduced Erina's dad who was an evil chef who wanted to take over the world (of restaurants). Then the evil chef stuff proceeded to dominate the entire 2nd half of the manga. It did hurt the series in the ToC but not enough to get it cancelled, the series got a full natural run.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Food Wars didn't have an NTR plot, it introduced Erina's dad who was an evil chef who wanted to take over the world (of restaurants). Then the evil chef stuff proceeded to dominate the entire 2nd half of the manga. It did hurt the series in the ToC but not enough to get it cancelled, the series got a full natural run.
I stopped watching after Souma dad flashback but even I know its not so

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland

I figured I'd have a look at Food Wars's placements throughout its run and it's pretty interesting to look at, you can very clearly see the point where Erina's dad and the other scumbag chefs were introduced. The first 3 years are very consistent, almost always at the top of the magazine, then very suddenly around ch 150 the series starts to bounce all over the place.

You can see another clear shift when the final arc starts as well, which I think was the point when the chef consultant left? Where it stops even bouncing up and down and instead stays at the bottom until it finishes.

I wonder if there's any other series like that, where there's clear points in its run that indicate a sudden shift in reception rather than a gradual slide up or down.

pennycryman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if there's any other series like that, where there's clear points in its run that indicate a sudden shift in reception rather than a gradual slide up or down.
https://www.jajanken.net/en/sakuhins/XyA0dm1wzP
There's plenty, especially in the 80's to 90's where they'd quickly end big hits due to running their course. Saint Seiya started rocky in the TOC before establishing itself as a borderline pillar during the Sanctuary arc, and remaining there in the Poseidon arc. It then gradually dropped to middle then the bottom during the Hades arc (where the writing also went to crap, fights became three panel affairs) and then unceremoniously ended.

Enezneb

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ISSUE #18 (2024) MANGAKA COMMENTS
Mission: Yozakura Family
Hitsuji Gondaira

It’s finally starting! I can’t wait! I’m so thankful to everyone!

Blue Box
Kouji Miura

I’m glad you enjoyed the surprise manga! Thank you for everything, Murakoshi-san!

My Hero Academia
Kohei Horikoshi

I know I’m not worthy, but the time I spent as a judge with you for the Tezuka Award will be precious to me for the rest of my life. May you rest in peace.

Akane-banashi
Takamasa Moue

You were a hero who transcended age and race. Rest in peace, Toriyama Sensei.

WITCH WATCH
Kenta Shinohara

Volume 16 will be on sale in Japan on the fourth. The volumes are coming out for two straight months, so please don’t forget!

Jujutsu Kaisen
Gege Akutami

My throat is swollen, my sinuses are infected, and my head is pounding, all from allergies. I’ll be more prepared next year.

Shun Numa

I saw a sake advertisement in a Chinese restaurant with Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei toasting and thought, “That’s odd…”

Me & Roboco
Shuhei Miyazaki

The public bath I go to was renovated, but that’s not the way it should be…

The Elusive Samurai
Yusei Matsui

The person with the coolest-sounding name in Japanese history is Shakushain. I’m never giving up that opinion.

Kill Blue
Tadatoshi Fujimaki

My friend told me about a really awesome music player with earphones, but it’s so expensive that I’m having second thoughts.

Kagurabachi
Takeru Hokazono

My partner for this week’s work was Marvel movies. I didn’t get any work done whenever Winter Soldier had screen time.

Dear Anemone
Rin Matsui

The tsukemen noodles that my assistant got me for lunch was so good! That yuzu hits the spot.

Undead Unluck
Yoshifumi Tozuka

Allergies never affected me before, but this year my eyes are so itchy. Is it finally happening?!

Nue’s Exorcist
Kota Kawae

The delicate texture of frozen Marble Chocolate is very pleasing to me.

MamaYuyu
Yoshihiko Hayashi

What is that thing that looks like a chunk of katsuobushi on Hayao Miyazaki’s shio ramen?

Green Green Greens
Kento Terasaka

I now own over 1,700 PC games. That’s enough to play for the rest of my life.

Shadow Eliminators
Kento Amemiya

The first manga I ever bought was Dragon Ball 14 from the complete edition set. Goku was instantly pierced through the chest.

Two on Ice
Elck Itsumo

“Two” was from RikuRyu’s free skate from last fall. The song is so good I could listen to it forever even if I wasn’t working on this series.

RuriDragon
Masaoki Shindo

Thank you for these five weeks! I love the feeling of reading while feeling the paper with your fingers.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ISSUE #18 (2024) MANGAKA COMMENTS
Mission: Yozakura Family
Hitsuji Gondaira

It’s finally starting! I can’t wait! I’m so thankful to everyone!

Blue Box
Kouji Miura

I’m glad you enjoyed the surprise manga! Thank you for everything, Murakoshi-san!

My Hero Academia
Kohei Horikoshi

I know I’m not worthy, but the time I spent as a judge with you for the Tezuka Award will be precious to me for the rest of my life. May you rest in peace.

Akane-banashi
Takamasa Moue

You were a hero who transcended age and race. Rest in peace, Toriyama Sensei.

WITCH WATCH
Kenta Shinohara

Volume 16 will be on sale in Japan on the fourth. The volumes are coming out for two straight months, so please don’t forget!

Jujutsu Kaisen
Gege Akutami

My throat is swollen, my sinuses are infected, and my head is pounding, all from allergies. I’ll be more prepared next year.

Shun Numa

I saw a sake advertisement in a Chinese restaurant with Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei toasting and thought, “That’s odd…”

Me & Roboco
Shuhei Miyazaki

The public bath I go to was renovated, but that’s not the way it should be…

The Elusive Samurai
Yusei Matsui

The person with the coolest-sounding name in Japanese history is Shakushain. I’m never giving up that opinion.

Kill Blue
Tadatoshi Fujimaki

My friend told me about a really awesome music player with earphones, but it’s so expensive that I’m having second thoughts.

Kagurabachi
Takeru Hokazono

My partner for this week’s work was Marvel movies. I didn’t get any work done whenever Winter Soldier had screen time.

Dear Anemone
Rin Matsui

The tsukemen noodles that my assistant got me for lunch was so good! That yuzu hits the spot.

Undead Unluck
Yoshifumi Tozuka

Allergies never affected me before, but this year my eyes are so itchy. Is it finally happening?!

Nue’s Exorcist
Kota Kawae

The delicate texture of frozen Marble Chocolate is very pleasing to me.

MamaYuyu
Yoshihiko Hayashi

What is that thing that looks like a chunk of katsuobushi on Hayao Miyazaki’s shio ramen?

Green Green Greens
Kento Terasaka

I now own over 1,700 PC games. That’s enough to play for the rest of my life.

Shadow Eliminators
Kento Amemiya

The first manga I ever bought was Dragon Ball 14 from the complete edition set. Goku was instantly pierced through the chest.

Two on Ice
Elck Itsumo

“Two” was from RikuRyu’s free skate from last fall. The song is so good I could listen to it forever even if I wasn’t working on this series.

RuriDragon
Masaoki Shindo

Thank you for these five weeks! I love the feeling of reading while feeling the paper with your fingers.
I’m glad that Horikoshi and Moue were finally able to give their goodbyes and tributes to Toriyama. And for Miura to thank their editor. Along with best wishes for Gondaira for their anime.

Dongus

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Huh? What about the portions with Souma's long lost brother in law with the Cross Knives who claimed to want to make Erina his wife and bridal carried her away? The one who beat Souma's dad, a goal hyped up from the start, offscreen? That one caught some waves and a lot of EL HERMANO jokes. Was he so bad that you lobotomized yourself so that you don't have to remember he exists? Wouldn't blame you, I would do the same. They still let it conclude, but I think a lot of people rejected that entire last arc. Even referring to the TOC, you can see it never left the bottom after he showed up aside from color pages.

Last edited:

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
I am just about done with the Dressrossa arc of One Piece. And it is fantastic. Although the argument of it being to long was justified. Was this a real slog for those that read/watched this on a weekly basis?

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Huh? What about the portions with Souma's long lost brother in law with the Cross Knives who claimed to want to make Erina his wife and bridal carried her away? The one who beat Souma's dad, a goal hyped up from the start, offscreen? That one caught some waves and a lot of EL HERMANO jokes. Was he so bad that you lobotomized yourself so that you don't have to remember he exists? Wouldn't blame you, I would do the same. They still let it conclude, but I think a lot of people rejected that entire last arc. Even referring to the TOC, you can see it never left the bottom after he showed up aside from color pages.
Don't forget that he's also blood related 😮💨. Bruh the writer was just trolling around as soon souma got the first seat, it just should've ended with souma winning the seat.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I am just about done with the Dressrossa arc of One Piece. And it is fantastic. Although the argument of it being to long was justified. Was this a real slog for those that read/watched this on a weekly basis?
As an anime watcher, IT WAS SO HORRENDOUS. almost as worst like whole cake arc. But dressrosa was still the worst experience watching it weekly

KyuKyu555

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I’m always pretty late for these but here are my favourite chapters and pages from the previous week. (Issue #16)

Favourite Chapters:
One Piece 1110
My Hero Academia 417
Mission: Yozakura Family 218
Undead Unluck 199
Ruri Dragon 9

Honorable Mentions:
Witch Watch 148
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 6

Favourite Pages:
1. One Piece 1110
Gorosei Awakened Zoan Double Spread

2. Sakamoto Days 159
Kumanomi Samurai Arm Upgrade Final Page Double Spread

3. My Hero Academia 417 Page 14
Nana and Deku preventing Kotaro from hitting Tenko.

Now for this week. (Issue #17)

Favourite Chapters:
One Piece 1111
Undead Unluck 200
Witch Watch 149
Akane Banashi 103
Ruri Dragon 10

Honourable Mentions:
Mission: Yozakura Family 219
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 7

Favourite Pages:
1. MamaYuyu 27 Page 17 & 18
The Mama naming Corleo flashback and Corleo deciding on his Sigil’s name.😊

2. Ruri Dragon 10 Final Page
The juxtaposition from her accomplished face to her dead on the bed in the next panel was funny.🤭

3. Akane Banashi 103 Page 4
The small buildup to that “Even though he’s the landlord?” punchline made me laugh.🤭

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Jujutsu Kaisen
Gege Akutami

Just like me a week ago ..

MugiwaraPatrick

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. People to read that arc week to week tend to he pretty negative about it.

I think Wano will go through the same thing in a few years when new readers binge it

Velx

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
I think Wano will go through the same thing in a few years when new readers binge it
I dropped reading One Piece weekly again during the Wano arc because it was boring, but reading the full arc after it was finished was a good experience, somehow it filled like an old One Piece arc. I guess it's a problem of all long-running shonens, when people just lose their interest of reading it every week and drop it, so now we can see more and more fast-paced manga with small arcs.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I dropped reading One Piece weekly again during the Wano arc because it was boring, but reading the full arc after it was finished was a good experience, somehow it filled like an old One Piece arc. I guess it's a problem of all long-running shonens, when people just lose their interest of reading it every week and drop it, so now we can see more and more fast-paced manga with small arcs.
I feel like this is a trend MHA has set up in recent years, or is it just me?