Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 459 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Liking what i'm seeing on Astro Royale ch4 leaks, for me the manga exudes "Next Big Jump Battle Shounen" potential so far
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This is only top 20? Is there more is what I'm trying to find
There's only "Top 20" weekly rankings for series available

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ISSUE #24 (2024) MANGAKA COMMENTS
Psych House
Omusuke Kobayashi

My first serialization and even my first time living alone. I’m really nervous but am trying my best.

Sakamoto Days
Yuto Suzuki

I love takoyaki and buy them a lot. Lately, even frozen takoyaki are good. Yum.

One Piece
Eiichiro Oda

Two of my editors as well as one of my former editors got married. Happy stories are the best. Congratulations!

Mission: Yozakura Family
Hitsuji Gondaira

No matter how hard I try, I always run out of the bun first when eating an expensive hamburger. I’m terrible at eating.

Astro Royale
Ken Wakui

I’m working on art for the first volume. Drawing color illustrations is so fun!

My Hero Academia
Kohei Horikoshi

My editor Imamura-san has a really cool denim jacket.

Kagurabachi
Takeru Hokazono

Volume 2 is now on sale in Japan! You can even watch a video about the making of the cover on YouTube! Shaved head Sojo!

Kyokuto Necromance
Fusai Naba

I went outside, and the wind smelled so much like spring. I was trying to think up a comment for here at the time, so I decided to just write about that.

Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Shun Numa

I went to the supermarket hoping to find a large bottle of menma pickles, and they actually had it.

Kill Blue
Tadatoshi Fujimaki

While drawing the main character saying “ain’t no beating a peaceful day” in this week’s chapter, I found myself agreeing with that in numerous ways.

Blue Box
Kouji Miura

It’s a lot of work to draw festivals with lots of people. It’s a lot of work for my assistants. Thank you so much.

Jujutsu Kaisen
Gege Akutami

I changed the years at Jujutsu High from five to four in the past, but I got confused and thought I’d changed it from five to three.

WITCH WATCH
Kenta Shinohara

I gained weight while I wasn’t looking, and suddenly a lot of my clothes don’t fit. Is there a way to lose weight while never getting up?

Me & Roboco
Shuhei Miyazaki

I said I wasn’t into them previously, but I did go to a super sento public bath, and it was awesome! I’m sorry! Cold plunge!

Akane-banashi
Yuki Suenaga

I finished reading Spring. It was so good! Parasyte: The Grey was great too.

Undead Unluck
Yoshifumi Tozuka

It feels like I make sure to eat the chicken tatsuta sandwich every year while it’s available. It’s too good. I like them all. Thank you!

The Elusive Samurai
Yusei Matsui

I’m personally not a fan of musicals. Wouldn’t you save a lot of time by just talking normally?

Nue’s Exorcist
Kota Kawae

I had the pork ramen at 7-Eleven for the first time in a while. Amazingly, it seems like it evolves each time I have it.

Dear Anemone
Rin Matsui

I put my McDonald’s chicken nuggets on rice and was eating them when my assistants started giving me funny looks.

Green Green Greens
Kento Terasaka

Volume 1 is now on sale in Japan! There’s lots of extras, and I’d appreciate it if you took a look!

Bulju

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Same. I assumed a more laid back slice of life cycling (kinda like "Non Non Biyori") rather than a Yowamushi Pedal but seems that completely off anyway. What's the cycle even supposed to refer to? Life cycle? Water cycle?
Probably a pun or maybe even a mistranslation. "Psych" and "cycle" are very similar phonetically, specially in japanese.

KrenKren

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first serialization and even my first time living alone. I’m really nervous but am trying my best.
I need this first chapter to be good you have no idea.
It would genuinely pain me to root against the series now.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Astro Royale
Ken Wakui

I’m working on art for the first volume. Drawing color illustrations is so fun!
Bruh, he is already working in the vol 1 cover art? Talk about fast work and judging by the color illustration part, if Astro is a success Jump will for sure have a new color slave alongside Gondaira & Moue :grin

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Bruh, he is already working in the vol 1 cover art? Talk about fast work and judging by the color illustration part, if Astro is a success Jump will for sure have a new color slave alongside Gondaira & Moue :grin
This fast turnover from serialization to first volume reminds me of Edens Zero in WSM, that one also had less than three months between start and volume. Definitely feels like Jump has some confidence in Wakui.

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Yeah indeed. Both are p0rn, in a different ways.

JJK is misery p0rn
Nue is boob p0rn

Nue era is coming. I can imagine Gakuro as the big 3 along side Luffy and Buckethead.
The average for being considered "boob p0rn" is very low nowadays,you don't even nedd to show anything,there are only female characters,it seems like that already makes into that quota here

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol I can't even imagine what people considered AyaTri to even be if Nue's Exorcist is considered something ground breaking or extreme or boob p0rn and even AyaTri wasn't that extreme.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Hey everyone, after yesterday regarding that whole argument on the camps of Nue's Exorcist vs Kagurabachi, I decided to give a good analysis regarding on both on what makes them special on both their strengths and weaknesses. It will be hard to discuss one over the other without certain biases, but at the same time, the feuds have got to stop along with the slander, cause I don't want it to be the same case as Black Clover. Having said that, here is my analysis.

Nue's Exorcist:

-Strengths: The girl designs are good, along with some of the monster designs. But it varies depending on if Kawae can step it up and improve. Even the wardrobe is good when you look at the girls fighting outfits along with Gakuro's second outfit. There will be a negative here at some point, but not right now since I am trying to find the positives. Along with that Gakuro is the nice boy arch type who does good, but needs confidence. Again, there will be a negative here cause there is much to discuss. But when he is serious and is determined, the look in his eyes makes it much more engaging to look at him. Also, the levels of how the spirits are good, not going overboard with the power scaling. But at one point during the training arc (the current one), I mistook Suo's training as her fighting level 25's than 2's (I misread 5 for an S, how stupid I was in that moment). It tells me alot that there is a fair balance in terms of scaling along with getting stronger in regards to breaking spirit weapons. But I want to know how that works cause when compared to Bleach, I would assume that Zanpakto's were going to take quite a while to repair themselves, along with Bankai's not being able to heal along with knowing the "True Name" of the Shinigami's Zanpakto. But what is the level when the characters are to weak along with a barrier to grow? I do think there is some good comedy, but it varies as sometimes the timing can feel inappropriate, and can even sour the mood, even when I don't care. But it has its fans, so I can let it be.

-Weaknesses: It started off with a very limiting location as all we got was the school. But afterwards it was starting to expand, but it took way to long to do so. It's like the common complaint that people said they didn't like in Red Hood as it took to long for us to leave the Hamlet. But still, there was some limitations to some locations, and we rarely see an ever changing wardrobe with are cast. Another aspect that is its greatest weakness is how I don't like the male character designs. With the limited amount we have seen, it has felt that Kawae is not good at drawing them unless there a few diamonds that can shine once there is more practice. In comparison to other artists that have been drawing for a while where we do see changes and refinement, I hardly have seen any change that showcases that growth, especially Gakuro who I want to look more attractive because I still think he is the worst when compared to the others. But another aspect that I also don't like is that black patch that is encircling his eye. Aside from it being enhance to be like a flame when he activates his abilities, how does it affect his lifestyle. I don't want an excuse to say it makes him look cool cause for every reason why characters have an anomoly with thier design, there is a reason. Luffy has that scar under his eye, Kenshin has that scar on his cheek, Andy had that card in his head, Mutsumi has that silver streak of hair, and so on. You need alot more to acknowledge it and give some important weight to it. And with the mens outfits when they fight spirits, Gakuro's was terrible where it hardly changed his school outfit but had those black long gloves, a belt holster that he could have borrowed from Yuno from Black Clover, and those flaming arm bands. That does not cover in making a full transformation. But when the second mode came from the last arc, I felt it was a major improvement and I think Gakuro looks more bad ass than anything. But then when we saw in the recent chapter who Gakuro was going to train with, that armor was a disapointment in an ugly sense where I didn't mind the asymetry of it, but do it in a way that makes it more presentable. And speaking of looking more presentable, I just hate Gakuro's baseless expression and when he gets anxious. I know it is supposed to be a joke, but at the same time, when he opens his mouth, those teeth make me cringe as you do not want to see all the detail in there. It also doesn't help that he is also stiff and awkward like how I mentioned countless times and made that Anakin and Pademe comparison in my review. It just makes Gakuro look more like a pushover than anything. I want to see a connection, but due to him being so stiff, it makes it that much harder for me to want to root for him cause I want him to develop more courage. A good comparison of that is in Back to the Future when you see George McFly who is so unconfident that he is just pathetic. And you can see why Marty had the ability to change that as it wasn't Marty's arc but mostly George as this was his time to change. But without any reason, then it means noting. But the one thing I will give that I do think has promise but didn't have impact is the progression of the story and the villains in this group. Now I know that the recent story arc had some issues along with the underwhelming character designs of the villain faction. Now despite this, I do think there is some chance to improve, but those villain designs, I want to know what will distingusih them from past villain groups so I can feel engaged. And the whole political angle is kind of boring without any weight compared to what I have seen in the history of Shonen Jumps line up with stuff like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, ect. But they also suffer from the same issue that plagues the villain group (except the one member from Fujino's family that one is a real jerk). But who knows if there will be more distinguishable ones. Despite its flaws, I haven't been that turned off that I wanted to walk away from it so I am still reading it.

(Note that in the weaknesses part of Nue's Exorcist, if it sounds more complaints than weaknesses, I am truely sorry as I did have a bit of my bias in there and I will try to do better going forward. So to Nue fans, I apologize and if there is anything that you can say that I am missing with this seires please let me know.)

Kagurabachi:

-Strengths: Despite the roughness of the art in the beginning, I think it has found its groove along with the fact it has good composition. After hearing from that latest interview with Hokazono, it helps explain things that showcase the art in a meaningful way. The story had a clear direction when it started and despite its meme worthy lines, at least we know where the writing comes from with our lead Chihiro. As for everyone else, we had some moments with a few characters like Char and Hakuri that gave some good character depth but still have some ways to go for other characters like Shiba and Hinao (but the former is going to be that much harder cause until we see any skeletons from his past, it seems like Shibi has everything together). The set pieces as well as the fights taking part are always amazing as if Hokazono learned everything about what makes great fights and finally had the weight and substance to make it spectacular. As for the villains, I was a bit worried about them, but as the story went along we had probably 2 great villain's (now with a third) that are making this world feel a bit more dangerous and how everything has to be put together. But most importantly, the story is taking its time and knows where it is going. It is ironic cause after chapter 1 I felt confused as I thought it was empty and a writing mistake. But to learn that chapter 2 had the other half that was missing made the whole thing come together. It almost makes me want to do a comparison to Hunter x Hunter due to how sure of a chapter 1 and beginning of an arc it had compared to all other series we have seen that are a bit episodic or have a small arc in the beginning to see what sticks. And for what the story promised in the beginning when it talked about an auction arc, it did. So there was a commitment and promise made to say what to anticipate for the series. And even if I have alot of complaints that I will go over in the weakness category, there will be less casue of how many of my initial criticisms I had have been improved upon.

-Weaknesses: Now this is where I am going to see what are its flaws when it comes to the series itself. Well, for one, sometimes the mouths can be a distraction if not careful, but othertimes it is always a way to say, "I am now going to have my character say something." It isn't bad and it improve over the last 30+ chapters it has been out, but now it doesn't seem like to much of a distraction like how it was back within the first 10 chapters. Another complaints is how certain characters had a stiff face in terms of giving off more expressions. But over time and with the growth of the abundance of characters, they more than help to give more variety to help diversify our main characters and the different factions and clans within this world. But with certain characters that do have mute expressions like Chihiro, he does have that baked in deadpan demeanor that we have seen when he was younger and him currently. But over time there have been good expressions where we do see him either sad going into tears or feel a sense of fear when conquiring other characters that did him wrong or worry for the lives of others. It was limited in the beginning when you see that in chapter 2 but over time we do see it, but it took time, and I am glad that it improved. Another problem that even Hokazono acknowledged is learning the maner of stillness in his art when his characters are doing stuff, but sometimes when it happenes that stillness can lead to stiffness. But with some time the characters will losen up when they are not going directly into action. Another element that I think Hokazono has learned, probably since he got the earlier feedback was how he handled the humor in certain times. After that first chapter, it was hard with how he wrote the humor along with who was giving it. But as we saw the ever growing cast, Hokazono handed that responsibility to those characters and allowed the characters who were serious to be themselves without it being shoehorned and allowing it to feel natural. The best comparison that I can give is in Naruto where Sasuke was the serious type and with Naruto, Sakura, and his cell (more specifically Karen and Suigetsu), it allowed him to be more serious. But when it comes to loosening up we saw that in the training section of The Land of Waves arc with him and Naruto due to that small competitive build that was happening there. But in Kagurabachi, Chihiro is spared along with Shibi (whose comedy was awkward and thankfully relieved of that responsibility) given to their other allies in Hinao, Char, Azami, and Hakuri. It's about having that well balance dynamic. And now I will get into more of the concerns that could be weaknesses going forward. One aspect is not having a well balance on the power scalling in regards to villains and a build of that. If everyone remembers in my review on how I felt that showing the leader of the group to soon could make the other members below him weaker. And so far we have met and dealt with 2 other villains that have had crazy levels in Sojo and Kyora. By introducing them to soon, to me it looses some of the buildup, and potential to become much longer than what it could be. But I could be wrong and if someone can give a counter argument I would love it to be proven why I am wrong. And the one thing that I will say that Hokazono could be making a mistake if not careful are the deaths. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind deaths in a series, as they bring out the emotional weight of the series when done right. But if there is no attachment or purpose, then it will either be pointless or a waste (a waste in 2 ways, the first is why should I care, and the second is when they have built enough on it and them not being used effectively [example: Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace, or in WSJ manga some of the characters that were first introduced in Dear Anemone or Double Taisei {and then did those terrible resurrections}]). I say that cause of that group from that organization that is supposed to keep the order. There could have been some massive potential, but ultimately, they were just used to weigh down Sojo. But they did have their purpose as it was a plan that Chihiro and that group made in order for Chihiro to rescue Char and be ready to take down Sojo when they have the chance. So I just hope that Hokazono doesn't kill when needed. It is true cause in storytelling, weather it is in film, television, novels, and comics, one term that is always used is, "Kill your darlings." But it is important to know when to kill them and if there will or not be any consequences from that. But even though those characters are dead, it hasn't fully made me that upset as the other characters that have been built up had made a much greater impact and are expanding the world.

And those are my observations on these series on their strengths and weaknesses. It was tough and I hope there can be alot to discuss about cause during the time I was writing this, there was alot that happened like Nue being in the bottom 3 and Kagurabachi selling almost 40k on volume 2. But that is someting that we need to break down and analyse why these placements and what is in the material for both in what they are doing right and what can they both improve upon.

edit: since this post was 2-3 days in the making there was a lot of things that happened so it took more time than I realized along with other things that happened. So I will catch up and have some of my commentary on these events.

Last edited:

Phantom RPG

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Good to see Jump giving Hideaki Nabe a chance with another one shot.

For those who don't know, he was a previous competitor alongside Yoshihiko Hayashi (Mamayuyu author) on 2022's Golden Future Cup with his own one shot " Tonari no Osoegawa".

Here is the one shot in question for those interested:

Last year he did a one shot dubbed Furo Suki Kirin on Jump Giga Late Spring 2023:

I feel like he and Taishin Uemura are being better upon by Jump to make new series in the next few years.

Cerclox

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
That just tells us is going to be a mega hit :hip

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
And now it is time for me to give the top 3 spreads from the last issue. So I hope Shinuki is glad that I am keeping it going. And hopefully I will keep it short cause those last post were really long. So after saying that, here are my top 3 spreads for this week.

-3. Undead Unluck (Supernova Explosion): Now this is how you prepare to end a fight with a bang. All I have to say, the cleverness to use a move like that and make you think all is lost is something very rare for artists who do it but do it well. I have to say, Tozuka could be on par with the legends, but needs more time to refine his craft. But then again, that is what make him him. But how will our hero's overcome this situation, is the thing that has me excited for the next issue.

-2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Divine Flame): I would say that there were alot of great spreads from JJK this issue. Unfortunately alot of them are bogged down from the never ending disembodied narrator as they feel like it has to be explained every single time. There is another that has made it into the honorable mentions. But with this spread, it is the last ace card that could make us fear with dread on what will be pulled by or major end antagonist. Plus it puts us on a great cliffhanger for the next issue.

-1. One Piece (Inside Punk Records): Both this and the third double spread are the ones that have raised my attention. I was going to give that final spread the win, but then I realized that if I gave it that, it would be a major spoiler for fans who watch the anime. But with this spread, it reveals on what is Punk Records. I thought it would be one thing, but it was something else that I would have thought it was just to simple and that Oda wouldn't go for it, and it was. It just shows how much what one person would do for the sake of living along with growing their intelligence. And because of that, it deserves my number 1.

And now the honorable mentions: One Piece (The world will......, and We'll do whatever it takes!!!!), My Hero Academia (We are here!), Jujutsu Kaisen (The King's Domain Returned, and Malevolent Shrine activates), Mission: Yozakura Family (Fully Bloomed Taiyo punches Mitsu), & Sakamoto Days (Sakamoto kicks out Takamura).

Ya little whippersnappers don't have any patience. Back in my day, a final battle could go on for 100 chapters and we'd be no worse for wear. Why, I followed a manga where the final battle where the hero and the antagonist played 2 hands of mahjong went for 250 chapters, and with a monthly schedule, 20 real life years. Imagine how fast Jump would axe something like that.
Really, the vast majority of the end was playing Mahjong?
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 Cover: Cycle Byori

Fun cover, but I am wondering if our bucket hat character will give Nanao competition in MYF.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024)
Psych House (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 54p; New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke)
SAKAMOTO DAYS
ONE PIECE
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Mission: Yozakura Family (Special Chapter)

Astro Royale
My Hero Academia
Kagurabachi (Color Page)
Kyokuto Necromance (23p)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Kill Blue (Color Page)
Blue Box
Jujutsu Kaisen
WITCH WATCH
Me & Roboco
Akane-banashi
Undead Unluck
The Elusive Samurai
Nue's Exorcist
Dear Anemone
Green Green Greens

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (2024) - Information
Cover & LCP: Kill Blue (1st Anniversary)
Color Pages: Akane-banashi; Psych House (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p); Yohei no Hei (One-Shot by Hideaki Nabe)
Absent: ONE PIECE
A lot of surprises with this ToC. First off I feel bad that UU was t going to get a color page. TES and UU are in the bottom 5 but are in no real threat (yet). And I hope they are not going forward. Nue is struggling, and we know for sure that DA and GGG are going to be cancelled. Also, I wonder if this will give competition to Chojo since the English title of Cycle Biyori is now Psychic House. I mean the art looks good as it looks like a more playful version of Muhyo and Roji (minus the creep factor of that series in terms of horror). But seeing this makes me think back to 2021 when we had the battle of the animated roadtrip movies with The Mitchel’s vs The Machines and The Addams Family 2 (which for people who knew which one was obviously going to win).

And of course, JJK being in the middle. I guess the fight is starting to drag on as it is weighing on the reader’s patience.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I am really curious about this one. Even though I wasn’t a fan of Moriking (which is how I learned about this mangaka), I am curious about what what is Jump’s financial situation.
I checked Matsui Rin twitter after reading about him deleting stuff and damn, the guy just deleted Dear Anemone from existence in his Twitter, only retweets in his account, is him this ashamed of his own series?
Damn, I am really surprised. It almost feels like what he wanted to do he regretted it. The problem was, he chose an over complicated series that didn’t connect along with very boring characters. When I read Black Milk, that one was beaming with character. And not to mention how over worked he was by doing things manually with that over detailed art. Rin Matsui needs both encouragement and to know that they need to do more series like Black Milk than Dear Anemone. But they shouldn’t throw away what they have done feeling like they were a disappointment. Instead they should use it as a learning experience.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Is there any case of shameless nepotism in the history of the magazine more clear than the pushing of this fraud?
Why so low below the belt?

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We really need more digital sales transparency, strongly suggests and highly implies new series are selling more digital than physical