Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Sunday - News and Discussion | Page 35 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Sunday - News and Discussion

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
2024 is a crazy year
Counting Magic Kaito among that does muddy this a bit, as MK is simply on rotation for Detective Conan. Saying it is "technically ending" seems a bit disingenious.

Haozz

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Axed/Ended titles in early 2024
7 titles

Shiroyama and Mita-san
Call of the Night
SuperString Isekai
Kimi to Warui koto ga shitai
Kimi wa 008
Last Karte
Student Number Zero

and now we have 5 new series for replacement

2023 got 5 axed series, I think this year we could beat Weekly Shonen Magazine or even Weekly Shonen Jump

Last edited:

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
We should make a distinction between ending and being axed though.

Looking at that list, the only series which we can safely say were axed are Super String Isekai and Student Number 0.

Kaito Kurobane

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah - hi, everybody. First-time reader, first-time joiner.

Serinox knows me from the Detective Conan Discord, but to put it bluntly I'm hunting for the impossible: raws of a few specific issues of Sunday ca. 2014. I'm looking for the Magic Kaito three-parter in particular (Issues 44-46), but ever since I learned that at some point the full issues of every 2014 Sunday (and maybe even earlier!) were put online I've gotten the bug to find someone who downloaded them. No matter how many dead links and torrents I run into on the way.

I guess a lot of the vets have filtered out of here over the years, but please - is anyone still in contact with anyone that scanlated Sunday series from back in 2014? Silver Spoon, Magi, Kenichi... This afternoon I got in contact with the very guy who did Rin-Ne back then, and he confirmed he did buy several years' of them as they were coming out... and threw them out when he moved house. :darn Broke my heart, but it did give me hope other Manga Editors may well have whole magazines lying on their hard drives somewhere...

Relatedly: someone on Reddit pointed me to this thread, which... these were definitely taken from the full-scanned versions of Sunday, right? Does anyone know of similar threads, and more important - whether any of the people posting in it can still be reached?

Vizard

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Genosha

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
The previously tenatively titled series "Heim no Oshigoto Soudansho", which will start in Issue #22-23/2024, has a finalized title, it is now called "Hello Work Monsters" (ハローワークモンスターズ).

Haozz

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Weekly Shoseki Top 500 Fourth Week (4/8 - 4/14)
167. Yofukashi 20 (+4,189 / 67,118)
343. Sleepy Princess 27 (+1,985 / 32,041)

N/a. Tonikaku Kawaii 27 (25,905)
N/a. Last Karte 8 (7,911)
N/a. Ogami Tsumiki 1 (7,221)
N/a. Ryu to Ichigo 15 (5,947)
N/a. Kimi wa 008 30 (5,485)
N/a. Shibuya Near Family 3 (3,595)
N/a. Shiroyama & Mita 10 (3,460)
N/a. Red Blue 9 (1,820)
N/a. Te no Geka 4 — <1,650 / 2 days in Shoseki top 500

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

updated March volumes

Weekly Shonen Sunday ongoing series, last volumes estimated sales in 4 weeks
1. Sousou no Frieren 12 — 448,108 copies (Anime)
2. Conan 104 — 278,655 (Anime)
3. Komi-san 32 — 65,440 (Anime)
4. Major 2nd 27 — 63,859 (Anime)
5. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle 27 — 32,041 (Anime) [New]
6. Kiyo in Kyoto 25 — 31,796 (Anime)
7. MAO 19 — 29,035
8. Tonikaku Kawaii 27 — 25,905 (Anime) [New]
9. Mikadono Sanshimai 8 — 19,955
10. Last Karte 8 — 7,911 [New]
11. Ogami Tsumiki 1 — 7,221 [New]
12. Aozakura 31 — 7,219
13. Ryuu to Ichigo 15 —5,947 [New]
14. Kimi wa 008 30 — 5,485 [New]
15. Shibuya Near Family 3 — 3,595 [New]
16. Red Blue 9 — 1,820 [New]
17. Tokachi Alone Plantation 14 — 1,735

18. Te no Geka 4 — <1,650 / 2 days in Shoseki top 500 [New]
19. Tatari 3 — <1,500 / 1 day
20. Student Number Zero 1 — <1,550 / 0 day
(Axed)

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Ah - hi, everybody. First-time reader, first-time joiner.

Serinox knows me from the Detective Conan Discord, but to put it bluntly I'm hunting for the impossible: raws of a few specific issues of Sunday ca. 2014. I'm looking for the Magic Kaito three-parter in particular (Issues 44-46), but ever since I learned that at some point the full issues of every 2014 Sunday (and maybe even earlier!) were put online I've gotten the bug to find someone who downloaded them. No matter how many dead links and torrents I run into on the way.

I guess a lot of the vets have filtered out of here over the years, but please - is anyone still in contact with anyone that scanlated Sunday series from back in 2014? Silver Spoon, Magi, Kenichi... This afternoon I got in contact with the very guy who did Rin-Ne back then, and he confirmed he did buy several years' of them as they were coming out... and threw them out when he moved house. :darn Broke my heart, but it did give me hope other Manga Editors may well have whole magazines lying on their hard drives somewhere...

Relatedly: someone on Reddit pointed me to this thread, which... these were definitely taken from the full-scanned versions of Sunday, right? Does anyone know of similar threads, and more important - whether any of the people posting in it can still be reached?
Sadly most of the people I know who used to scan the magazines have moved on or at the very least aren't reachable in any way. I used to collect them and probably had these issues at one time, but as I didn't and still don't have much room in my house I had to get rid of them. If by perchance I happen upon these issues I'll let you know as I'm trying to collect older issues as well. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
The previously tenatively titled series "Heim no Oshigoto Soudansho", which will start in Issue #22-23/2024, has a finalized title, it is now called "Hello Work Monsters" (ハローワークモンスターズ).
I also don't see "Isekai" mentioned anywhere in the preview which I think is good. Not like being "Isekai" is automatically bad, but most of new series have it there just because it's the trend and don't even use it in any meaningful way, and given the synopsis I feel this is the right way to go for this series. Hoping for a comfy comedy, similar to Sleepy Princess (tho some could argue that Sleepy Princess isn't comfy...).

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

coldmess

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if there’s something serious going on behind the scenes of Sunday. I know they’re not all cancellations, but it’s still weird to me that so many series are ending.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
I wonder if there’s something serious going on behind the scenes of Sunday. I know they’re not all cancellations, but it’s still weird to me that so many series are ending.
People were wondering the same thing when the magazine merely had four new serializations in all of 2021, but then things went on normally.

It's probably just a coincidence that a number of series reached their natural conclusions around the same time. Rather, I think it is probably a good thing that Sunday editorial is not trying to persuade/enforce authors to keep their series going for longer just to space out the endings more.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Sunday has teased that they will reveal a new Gosho Aoyama project in Issue #24/2024 on May 8. Now there are some leakers who say that a new anime based on YAIBA is in the works from WIT. Those two things would certainly fit together.

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sunday has teased that they will reveal a new Gosho Aoyama project in Issue #24/2024 on May 8. Now there are some leakers who say that a new anime based on YAIBA is in the works from WIT. Those two things would certainly fit together.
oh a new Yaiba anime that would be very nice to see

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
WIT Studio becoming remake studio.