Discussion - Yamato Discussion Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Yamato Discussion Thread

Yamato for Nakama?

• Yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

TourianTourist

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
As for his role on Luffy's ship, answer doesn't matter. A role can be made up. Heck can be as simple as Yamato is a soldier/fighter and that's it. Could also be something like Yamato is the scout. Heck you can even give an existing role to Yamato like second helmsman etc (not like Jinbei doesn't sleep). So I think it's moot to argue for or against Yamato based on a role.
It's not quite so simple, because so far each member of the Strawhat pirates has a role in which he or she excels. Luffy doesn't get just any navigator, he gets one who is really good at map-making and can feel the weather like no one else. He doesn't get any archaeologist, but one who can read the ancient language. It's what makes the Strawhat pirates so successful in the end, their individual talents. The role of each Strawhat is about as important as their personal dreams and often go hand-in-hand.

So, you couldn't just pass off Yamato as a scout or a "second helmsman". When has she ever shown any talents or even interest in these fields? The only thing that currently works for me is "samurai" as her role, where Oden also has been called the samurai of Whitebeard's crew. And yes, that's not a real role on a ship, but it doesn't have to be. It's similar to Zoro's "swordsman" role on that regard.

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not quite so simple, because so far each member of the Strawhat pirates has a role in which he or she excels. Luffy doesn't get just any navigator, he gets one who is really good at map-making and can feel the weather like no one else. He doesn't get any archaeologist, but one who can read the ancient language. It's what makes the Strawhat pirates so successful in the end, their individual talents. The role of each Strawhat is about as important as their personal dreams and often go hand-in-hand.

So, you couldn't just pass off Yamato as a scout or a "second helmsman". When has she ever shown any talents or even interest in these fields? The only thing that currently works for me is "samurai" as her role, where Oden also has been called the samurai of Whitebeard's crew. And yes, that's not a real role on a ship, but it doesn't have to be. It's similar to Zoro's "swordsman" role on that regard.
Chapter 999 alluded to Yamato being a brewer, because of the title and brewing devices near Yamato. There's also a log keeper role as mentioned in the concept art.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree to an extent. The strawhats do have things they excel at but that is not a criteria to join in and of itself. For example Zoro (swordsman), Usopp (sniper) have specializations but were no where near great at those things when they joined. Both of them just aspired to be the best at it. Also for Jimbei we didn't even know he was a helmsman until he was already in the process of joining so Oda can definitely do the same with Yamato. To me the role is less important when joining since Oda can literally make it up on the spot. We have some members that have ship related roles (captain, helmsman, cook, doctor, navigator, shipright) and we have other roles that are just fun/interesting (archaeologist, sniper, inventor, swordsman, musician). In both of these categories there are still plenty of new roles that can be added so I don't stress over - what is Yamato going to be if he joins question.

I don't think having a second of anything would be a problem. Usopp is still second when it comes to inventions and that is still a role he has. Even post timeskip, Nami goes to Usopp for climatact stuff and not Franky who has the lead role on inventions/mechanics etc. So why couldn't Yamato do the same. I can easily see Yamato being a second Zoro who only has one role - be strong fighter & give advice when needed. We've already seen Yamato do this advice giving to Momo like when he said things like - it would be better for them to die fighting Kaido then retreat or Luffy needs to be able to focus on Kaido so they shouldn't bother him about Onigashima. This is all to say having a secondary person doing something that someone else does is not new to this ship.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Usopp is still second when it comes to inventions and that is still a role he has.
Usopp's role is "liar."

I mean, God Usopp didn't happen because of his sniping or inventions! Gotta fake it till yah make it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I kinda assumed that Yamato's role would be the scribe.

The best account of the best part of Roger's adventure is Oden's Journal. AFAIK none of the SHP are writing in a journal regularly.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Usopp's role is "liar."

I mean, God Usopp didn't happen because of his sniping or inventions! Gotta fake it till yah make it.

The best account of the best part of Roger's adventure is Oden's Journal. AFAIK none of the SHP are writing in a journal regularly.
I think nami might have had one? I seem to remember that from the very early days of OP though I am probably wrong. That said, yamato scribing the last 10 chapters of the manga seems extremely pointless. Oden spent years with WB and at least a year with roger.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think nami might have had one? I seem to remember that from the very early days of OP though I am probably wrong. That said, yamato scribing the last 10 chapters of the manga seems extremely pointless. Oden spent years with WB and at least a year with roger.
I would imagine that whatever is written down by Yamato would be important as we could assume it will be an accurate document of whatever war is coming, and likely a bit of the true history, and the opening of Wano.

Not sure if Nami had one, though. If so it wasn't significant enough that I can remember.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I do recall Nami having a diary or a log of sorts, but it hasn't been addressed since the timeskip, mostly because barely anything from the daily lives of the strawhats has been showcased again after Thriller Bark, but I'd assume they do like they have always done.

Regardless, Robin's role on the ship is being a historian. I'd rather trust her to keep a proper historic log of events before both Nami and Yamato.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Usopp's role is "liar."

Lol that is true. Usopp is a liar of epic proportions with only Buggy rivaling him. Heck these two should take the mantel from Noland (I know he actually was an honest guy).

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, going by that, it could be like a case of Oden revisiting places Roger went to like Water 7, with Yamato getting to go to places like Alabasta, seeing old places through new eyes once Luffy and the others go around the world again. Might even see new islands we didn't see pre-timeskip because of how there are different routes too.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say Usopp's actual role is that of Markman/Cannoneer with a dash of engineering. The Cannoneering doesn't really come into play much as they don't really do ship-to-ship combat often, but it was shown early on that he's damn good at it.

Anyway, Yamato's potential role is indeed a head-scratcher. His being the scribe/bookkeeper makes sense with him being a potential Oden equivalent, however, at this point in the game, that role seems rather unnecessary since he missed most of the journey. I guess he could gather information from the rest of the crew and go from there, but it's not the same as experiencing the ordeals firsthand. We'll see soon enough I guess.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say Usopp's actual role is that of Markman/Cannoneer with a dash of engineering. The Cannoneering doesn't really come into play much as they don't really do ship-to-ship combat often, but it was shown early on that he's damn good at it.

Anyway, Yamato's potential role is indeed a head-scratcher. His being the scribe/bookkeeper makes sense with him being a potential Oden equivalent, however, at this point in the game, that role seems rather unnecessary since he missed most of the journey. I guess he could gather information from the rest of the crew and go from there, but it's not the same as experiencing the ordeals firsthand. We'll see soon enough I guess.
Mentioned this before, but Chapter 999’s title being about brewing could possibly be lead up for Yamato to be a brewer.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welp guess Oda said

JStackz26

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am still pro-yamato joining strawhats

Oda better write Yamato out of that traveling Wano nonsense. She did enough by fighting Kaido off until Luffy came back. As Jinbe was even wondering who is stalling Kaido to the point he didn't just kill everyone.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fact that Yamato making a choice to stay for now to help protect Momo and the others after he failed to handle an admiral and Blackbeard storming into an island to get a power he feels he can get away with are featured in the same chapter leads me to suspect there’s set-up being done for Yamato’s choice to backfire on her. Could also lead into whereas Oden didn’t ask for Marco and the other Whitebeard Pirates’ help back then, Yamato would be different in asking for help and the Whitebeard Pirates helping out then, perhaps even to the extent of helping protect Wano instead of Yamato. Luffy’s flag protection + Vista, Jozu, and the others helping protect Wano from the inside should be enough to satisfy Yamato to leave Wano with no worry, so I’m definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

JStackz26

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fact that Yamato making a choice to stay for now to help protect Momo and the others after he failed to handle an admiral and Blackbeard storming into an island to get a power he feels he can get away with are featured in the same chapter leads me to suspect there’s set-up being done for Yamato’s choice to backfire on her. Could also lead into whereas Oden didn’t ask for Marco and the other Whitebeard Pirates’ help back then, Yamato would be different in asking for help and the Whitebeard Pirates helping out then, perhaps even to the extent of helping protect Wano instead of Yamato. Luffy’s flag protection + Vista, Jozu, and the others helping protect Wano from the inside should be enough to satisfy Yamato to leave Wano with no worry, so I’m definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

That would definitely work if Oda did that. Have Whitebeard's remnants in Wano instead. They lost to Blackbeard but at least it would free Yamato up to be a Strawhat.
Given Momonosuke being Oden's child (and child Oden described as having monstrous strength) and him having the VOAT and Yamato unlocking CoC at the same age as Momonosuke is now, I'm sure the stage is set for Yamato to get strong super fast which allows Yamato to leave. Her possible only purpose is to teach ACoC (if Momonosuke unlocks CoC) and how to use Dragon abilities.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
It took me a little while to realize why the case with Yamato and Momo ended up the way it did, and the conclusion I've come to is that Momo is being built up to eventually challenge Yamato to prove to her that he is capable of defending Wano on his own and further encourage Yamato to sail out not only to embrace her freedom at sea to the fullest, but to also accomplish her greater purpose of finding the answer as to why Wano should be opened, likely by going to Laugh Tale.

After Momo read the journal and realized the last page was missing, it left him concerned as to why his dad Oden would want to open Wano in the first place and then decided not to open Wano after that. So it's probably not that Momo is concerned about if he's able to open the borders, but why he should open the borders, and him wanting to surpass Oden would lead to him working hard on his bolo breath aiming and arnament haki usage, presumably trained by Hyogoro, in such a way so as to ultimately become a reliable enough defender. Maybe he'd even challenge Yamato to a fight after finding out she lied to him about why she stayed in order to prove to her once and for all that he has become reliable despite his past failure with the admiral. Would make for a nice parallel too in just as Momo tried fighting Kaido to get him to leave due to him taking peoples' freedoms, he'd then fight his daughter Yamato because he'd want his friend to live out her freedom at sea to the fullest.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of how Oda had all this play out, but assuming he's doing all this for Yamato and Momo's benefit, as well as our benefit of not having our time wasted with Yamato's sailing narrative pushed as much as it was after all, then I think it would make the most sense in that case.

JStackz26

Reaction score
Country
United States
It took me a little while to realize why the case with Yamato and Momo ended up the way it did, and the conclusion I've come to is that Momo is being built up to eventually challenge Yamato to prove to her that he is capable of defending Wano on his own and further encourage Yamato to sail out not only to embrace her freedom at sea to the fullest, but to also accomplish her greater purpose of finding the answer as to why Wano should be opened, likely by going to Laugh Tale.

After Momo read the journal and realized the last page was missing, it left him concerned as to why his dad Oden would want to open Wano in the first place and then decided not to open Wano after that. So it's probably not that Momo is concerned about if he's able to open the borders, but why he should open the borders, and him wanting to surpass Oden would lead to him working hard on his bolo breath aiming and arnament haki usage, presumably trained by Hyogoro, in such a way so as to ultimately become a reliable enough defender. Maybe he'd even challenge Yamato to a fight after finding out she lied to him about why she stayed in order to prove to her once and for all that he has become reliable despite his past failure with the admiral. Would make for a nice parallel too in just as Momo tried fighting Kaido to get him to leave due to him taking peoples' freedoms, he'd then fight his daughter Yamato because he'd want his friend to live out her freedom at sea to the fullest.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of how Oda had all this play out, but assuming he's doing all this for Yamato and Momo's benefit, as well as our benefit of not having our time wasted with Yamato's sailing narrative pushed as much as it was after all, then I think it would make the most sense in that case.
Man I hate that people have this issue with Yamato joining. Really cool character. I do hope it gets to her being able to realize she could be a strong pirate even as a female. You know, she is aware of Big Mom somewhat and if she sets sail and comes across someone like Hancock and such, I'm sure it will shift her mindset towards strong female charavter rather than male to be considered strong or even like Oden. Technically the character concept even in that growth aspect makes a lot of sense for Oda to not discard and stowaway in Wano.
You have a situation where Big Mom, the strongest female pirate goes down. Now you have the aspect of a new strong female pirate coming to the forefront with Yamato being the child of a Yonko. And basically possibly surpassing even Smoothie as the strongest femalr character is probably between:
Smoothie, Bonney and Hancock, maybe Tsuru, would say Ivankov but not sure if Oda has Ivankov as man or woman.

She is a great character for Oda to build up. And she is about to fight Kaido in the anime, I'm sure her fanbase will increase soon and hopefully that pushes Oda to keep Yamato in the story and as a strawhat.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man I hate that people have this issue with Yamato joining. Really cool character. I do hope it gets to her being able to realize she could be a strong pirate even as a female. You know, she is aware of Big Mom somewhat and if she sets sail and comes across someone like Hancock and such, I'm sure it will shift her mindset towards strong female charavter rather than male to be considered strong or even like Oden. Technically the character concept even in that growth aspect makes a lot of sense for Oda to not discard and stowaway in Wano.
You have a situation where Big Mom, the strongest female pirate goes down. Now you have the aspect of a new strong female pirate coming to the forefront with Yamato being the child of a Yonko. And basically possibly surpassing even Smoothie as the strongest femalr character is probably between:
Smoothie, Bonney and Hancock, maybe Tsuru, would say Ivankov but not sure if Oda has Ivankov as man or woman.

She is a great character for Oda to build up. And she is about to fight Kaido in the anime, I'm sure her fanbase will increase soon and hopefully that pushes Oda to keep Yamato in the story and as a strawhat.
I'd buy this if we were talking about Kuina, but we're talking about Yamato. Dude ain't got no hang-ups about being a dude. Nothing about his character suggests some girl-power realizing-I'm-actually-cisgender story will take place, what a reach

Yamato is going to do for Momo what Rayleigh did for Luffy, in contrast to what Kaidou did to Yamato himself

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems that Yamato is getting her own cover story now. Will be interesting to see what becomes of her crewmate desire as her feelings progress while in Wano.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
on his way he, he should meet momo's grandfather, make him come to his family again...