Shounen Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
15,816
Reaction score
7,985
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
It got truncated from the magazine (like Dogashi Kaden, Mx0 and Muddy) :(

Due to low ratings in the weekly WSJ. I'm not sure how well the 1st volume went in sales though, but prolly not as much as Shueisha expected I guess, since they decided to end this abruptly.
 

drakend

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,623
Reaction score
513
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
It got truncated from the magazine (like Dogashi Kaden, Mx0 and Muddy) :(

Due to low ratings in the weekly WSJ. I'm not sure how well the 1st volume went in sales though, but prolly not as much as Shueisha expected I guess, since they decided to end this abruptly.
Wonderful news!!! :rolleyes:
This is the second manga (after Mx0) I was following that got truncated this way. Why doesn't the author publish his drawing online asking for donations in order to make a living out of it? I would contribute for sure because he was doing a very nice job...
 

JoJoJO

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
483
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
Jamaica
I for one glad this manga got canceled, it was so stupid. They had a concept for a great manga but the storyline was god awful bad.
 

r3born

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
214
Reaction score
110
Gender
Male
Country
Vietnam
I for one glad this manga got canceled, it was so stupid. They had a concept for a great manga but the storyline was god awful bad.
It actually got better right at the end where he show Elle writing this story without holding Kili hand. Now if some publisher can continue this, that would be fantastic.
 

Kioras

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
88
Reaction score
15
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The real issue was that the manga was a slow moving, plot building style, but most of the popular manga's in jump need action almost weekly...
 

drakend

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,623
Reaction score
513
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I for one glad this manga got canceled, it was so stupid. They had a concept for a great manga but the storyline was god awful bad.
Why should you be glad for something getting cancelled? If you didn't like the manga nobody made you reading it: what's your point in coming in this thread at this time and being an ass? Because you're a useless troll, that's the reason.

The real issue was that the manga was a slow moving, plot building style, but most of the popular manga's in jump need action almost weekly...
Yeah to satisfy the kids there must be a fight in evrey chapter otherwise it would be boring. :rolleyes:
 

HaL

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
After reading ch23 farewell DA. Hope you make a comeback in manga or anime
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked how Naoshi was basically saying "Maybe I will finish the story....if Jump decides to bring it back due to high sales...."
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well I must say I am really suprised on how he "ended" it. That guy has really great writing skills imo. I loved how elle was talking about ending this and closing the book: it's as if he was talking towards his fans. Well it's also great to see how we suddenly get to see the part where they met but from someone's other point of view

Well let's see what happens
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
It got truncated from the magazine (like Dogashi Kaden, Mx0 and Muddy) :(

Due to low ratings in the weekly WSJ. I'm not sure how well the 1st volume went in sales though, but prolly not as much as Shueisha expected I guess, since they decided to end this abruptly.
it sold in the taiyosha top 10 weekls sales on it's debut. but sales don't stave off cancellation. look at blue dragon (though that was shite).
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yeah, i'm looking foreward to a revisiting already...lol i'm glad he left it just open enough so he could come back to it at anytime he is able. and the fact that he hinted at it helps too.

but what i think began DA's downfall was the Hine arc. it was about that time that people began to become frustrated with the series and loose intrest. the rest was because it didn't adhear to the typical shounen adventure cliche's of catch phrases, over the top action and/or the semi-explicit scenes that appear in every chapter... (which is something i praise DA for.)
though the pace seemed slow, it kept moving, and the character's personalities were easy to understand and connection with them was nearly seemless. this series was nothing but the "kitchen sink" or so to speak, and was truely a "one of a kind" series.

Now we just have to wait till November for Komi's next One-shot to arrive in Jump SQ
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
it sold in the taiyosha top 10 weekls sales on it's debut. but sales don't stave off cancellation. look at blue dragon (though that was shite).
Place 9 in the overall comics category and place 7 in shounen category, not bad for a "slow moving" newcomer :amuse
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
exactly. not to mention all three newcomers apparently managed to sell out since being released. which is nice.

and it was doing bad in the TOC before the heine arc (which may have not even ended up being rated in the TOC), so when it went bad with the readers is beyond me
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Would be interesting to see if the second tank can manage a top 10 again, even with the canceling in the back. Though, I doubt it.

Hm, will they put the remaining 13 chapters in one tank or split it?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
split it, throw in the other one shot/s, i'm sure
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
That would be nice. Guess, that's the second series after Togari I'll buy although it's unfinished. A rare thing for me to do :amuse
 

adenlan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Barbados
I'm really sad that Double Arts got cancelled. Though I won't say it was my favourite manga, it had a promising plot. The way WSJ is now handling their series is really bad. On one hand, they require that the plot unfolds really quickly, had they had done this years ago, great mangas would not have existed (I remember YuYu Hakusho first 4 voulmes were really boring !!). On the other hands, they do not take in account the great oppportunities that us readers from all over the world can give them. I believe outside japan there are as much manga lovers than inside japan (readers in America, Europe, China Korea ... etc) so they should develop their market there as well, giving a second chance to mangas like DA or Mx0 because they seem more suited for foreign readers ... Really too bad !!!! I mean I'm kinda disappointed with Jump these last few weeks, series like Naruto or Bleach just does not move forward and new chapters are really boring !!! But that's another story ...
 

Mmod

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
DA arts is nice. It's a pitty that that thing like Reborn, that is 10x worse than Naruto, never gets cancelled.
 

Arhazivory

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
41
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
Jamaica
*sighs* Well that was a bitter-sweet ending. It was hard to enjoy it because I'm still so pissed at WSJ. I wish it had been published in another magazine to begin with. But..he wrapped it up well considering the sudden cut.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
DA arts is nice. It's a pitty that that thing like Reborn, that is 10x worse than Naruto, never gets cancelled.
Reborn...worse than Naruto? I just read volume 32 of Naruto today. I honestly don't know how people like it. It's such a soul-less mess of generic shonen. I buy it merely out of habit now.

[eni]No bashing series. [/eni]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top