Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
so wait it's not the next big thing unless you like it? or do you just mean you're waiting for the next big thing that caters to your needs :P
The next best thing that interests me.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Maybe Sket Dance and Bakuman? Reborn! is pretty popular and it now seems to be rising to big three status.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Maybe Sket Dance and Bakuman? Reborn! is pretty popular and it now seems to be rising to big three status.
Reborn really has settled into a niche sales wise; roughly 500,000 per volume. Recent volumes haven't deviated much from that either. It and D. Gray Man have nearly identical sales; behind Bleach ahead of everyone else. It's always polled really well, since I've been following it's either been in the top five or near. I doubt we'll see any of the big four (everyone always forgets to include H x H) unseated anytime soon.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
and kochikame and Jaguar. it's a big six! :D

and considering it's pretty constant rocking recently, it could be a big 8 with Toriko and Gintama
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still sort of see the tiers like so:

-Big 3: OP, Naruto, Bleach
-Immortal 3: KochiKame, HxH, Jaguar (could be 4 soon with D.Gray always on break)
-Second-Tier: ES21, Gintama, Reborn, D.Gray (I could remove ES21 soon with it starting to fall but it's still got some strength left)
-"Other 3": Neuro, To-Love, Sket (I sort of just made this term up but since they're not new but they're not uber like the top tier, it sort of fits them)
-Strongest Potential: Mago, Toriko, Bakuman (I'm not sure but these three are newer but show a lot of potential to last in the magazine)
-Sort-Of Potential: Psyren, Inumaru, Asklepios (I really didn't know where to put Psyren: it could be a replacement in "others" for Neuro [when it ends] or Sket [if it starts rising] but it's not really new anymore. And Asklepios...yeah, it's dead)
-Newbies: Meister, Kuroko, Bokke
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That list looks about right. I wouldn't put Toriko and Bakuman as part of the elite yet either. There to new, they don't have enough tankobon out to really judge.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Askelpios should just be in the 'dead' category.
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's kind of funny how the sales of D.Gray Man and Reborn are exactly alike and how I started reading both at the same time and how I like them both the same.
 

ssjohn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
599
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Askelpios should just be in the 'dead' category.
I know you are probably right, but I don't want Askelpios to die, I know its not the 'greatest' manga ever, but I am enjoying it and I would like to see what it would develop into with some time ;(.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's kind of funny how the sales of D.Gray Man and Reborn are exactly alike and how I started reading both at the same time and how I like them both the same.
Even better, they debuted in back to back issues; Reborn in issue 26, DGM in 27.



 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Torigaakiipaa? Is that a oneshot or something? Looks like the guy from Junbor. =P
 

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
6,654
Reaction score
3,871
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
France
Torigaakiipaa? Is that a oneshot or something? Looks like the guy from Junbor. =P
The name is likely Trigger Keeper, and the mangaka is Ashihara Daisuke, who had another one-shot in issue #51 last year.
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Top Shûeisha December 2008 :
01- One Piece #52
02- Bleach #36
03- D.Gray-man #17
04- Gintama #26
05- Kôkô Debut #13
06- Kochi Kame #162
07- Claymore #15
08- Clover #21
09- Rozen Maiden #01
10- Aozora Yell #01
11- Zetman #11
12- Kiyoku Yawaku #09
13- Zettai Kakusei Tenshi Mistress-Fortune
14- Neuro #19
15- Usogui #10
16- Kinniku-man II #15-16
17- Double Arts #03
18- Kingdom #12
19- Gakkô no Ojikan #16
20- Mei-chan no Shinji #08

Hikaru no Go Kanzenban (Deluxe) #01-02 (04/02)
Hikaru no Go Kanzenban (Deluxe) #03-04 (04/03)
Hikaru no Go Kanzenban (Deluxe) #05-06 (04/04)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
ooh no shaman king in the top 20:O

and moreso double kinnikuman! awesome.

final point.... SOMEONE SOMEWHERE! please scan or trans those awesome 4koma of each serialised series!
 

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
6,654
Reaction score
3,871
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
France
final point.... SOMEONE SOMEWHERE! please scan or trans those awesome 4koma of each serialised series!
I wouldn't mind doing the ES21, Meister and Kuroko ones :p it'd be a nice team effort if each Jump translator could take care of the 4komas of his/her own series :amuse
 

Houjou

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Reaction score
332
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mongolia
For those who were talking about Toriko being or not the next hit, I think this makes it quite obvious:




I wouldn't mind doing the ES21, Meister and Kuroko ones :p it'd be a nice team effort if each Jump translator could take care of the 4komas of his/her own series :amuse
Xophien, have you really checked Kuroko's strip? :P xD.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The name is likely Trigger Keeper, and the mangaka is Ashihara Daisuke, who had another one-shot in issue #51 last year.
Oh yeah hahahaha wow. I totally didn't think that title through.
<hr noshade size="1">
They have to make a new Jump game now. Then Toriko can be playable (Along with probably all of the four heavenly kings =P)
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Looking over the TOC, nearly every mangaka is saying Happy New Year in their commentary (there are very few who aren't: Usuta, Kubo, Ooishi, Iwashima, the newbies for Asklepios, Meister and Kuroko...and Oda, who mentions instead that Krispy Kremes are "dangerously delicious").

And I'm sort of happy we get official confirmation (though we sort of figured due to it's success) of Gintama's 5th anniversary cover next week...though I sort of want to know now is will Psyren get anything for it's 1st.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't mind doing the ES21, Meister and Kuroko ones :p it'd be a nice team effort if each Jump translator could take care of the 4komas of his/her own series :amuse
see that's what i was encouraging a while back when hq scans came out for cho-kochikame with all the congrats pages by different authors, but its seems its too person dependant
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top