Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I really don't see an NFL arc or anything else coming after the next game. Once the America game is over (or should I say when), ES21 is done and we can finally get this monkey off our backs in the ranks. If they come back to it later, then they come back to it later somehow or somewhere else. But after the last chapter, I don't think its going to make the year in the magazine.
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
#09 (26/01) :
Couv :


Sommaire :


Preview :
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
At the least next weeks one shot has very good art.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hope the next batch of new series is better. I really haven't been wowed by any of the three newbies yet. Meister is definitely the strongest. It had a pretty good start and I think it could last if given the opportunity. It's definitely no Tsubasa though. Bokkesan is cool but I have yet to see if the concept will be worth it. The point to the series has yet to be explained. I love Nishi though and I wish him well. Kuroko...yeah I dropped it. It's really uninteresting. I actually liked Dogashi, which was crap, better than Kuroko.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
wow didnt know you cared so little for kuroko... though i havent managed to check out the last release(the weeks before this, the Manga Editors release is on their own members only forum, which can fuck right off) so you could be right :\

and good god i was right that AA's one shot would be very pretty GOOD GOD! ah i can't wait for this
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
So far I think it's a draw between Meister and Kuroko. I want to see how these first matches go before I pass judgment. Both are good. I'll continue reading both. Still, Dogashi was far superior. The writing was sharper, the characters were more well defined and had a lot more personality, and at least so far the in game art was more dynamic. Such a shame it was rejected so quickly, it would have been a fantastic series.

Bokke - san intrigues me. The concept is interesting, as are the characters. Thus far the two leads are fantastic. Both are well written and interesting. But three chapters is to soon to form any sort of opinion and the opportunity to get to know it better seems to have vanished; there no longer seems to be a translator.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seems like there was a "new years meeting" the last week or so at Jump with how most of the mangaka were talking in this week's comments. And while I really don't know if this has anything to do with that, there were a couple mangaka of note that a couple Jump ones got to see/talk to recently: Murata & George Morikawa (sounds like the ES21 artist interviewed the "Hajime no Ippo" legend...somehow between this and his art for the KochiKame anniversary, Morikawa likes or appreciates Jump) and Oda with Takehiko Inoue (seems like Oda likes him...then again Inoue's Luffy from a couple years back was epic) Only other comment of note is Iwashima thanking everyone for the support of Psyren's first year.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Almost forgot about the fan poll and 1 year anniversary of Psyren already. God knows how long the poll will take but one would think it would be enough to out last the next cuts. No use in running a popularity contest then immediately yanking the series.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Almost forgot about the fan poll and 1 year anniversary of Psyren already. God knows how long the poll will take but one would think it would be enough to out last the next cuts. No use in running a popularity contest then immediately yanking the series.
I think there was a case of a fan poll having the results in the final volume when the series was cancelled but can't remember which series it was. Regardless, Psyren's anniversary is a good sign and hopefully it survives for the fans but somehow who knows if it will ever have a true breakthrough akin to what Sket almost had recently. (when it was riding high for a while even though the last poll lowered it back down)
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
i'd say sket has proved if a series can survive a fanbase (however big or small) will build around it as time goes on.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We all thought Sket was dead and then it broke through.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think there was a case of a fan poll having the results in the final volume when the series was cancelled but can't remember which series it was. Regardless, Psyren's anniversary is a good sign and hopefully it survives for the fans but somehow who knows if it will ever have a true breakthrough akin to what Sket almost had recently. (when it was riding high for a while even though the last poll lowered it back down)
the series coulda been pretty face, as the popularity results were part of a special post serialisation akamaru chapter.

kaiten.sama. said:
Still, Dogashi was far superior. The writing was sharper, the characters were more well defined and had a lot more personality, and at least so far the in game art was more dynamic. Such a shame it was rejected so quickly, it would have been a fantastic series.
really? i found the writing promising at first, but that quickly faded, the characters whilst defined in characteristics would tend to suffer from 'oh i'm also light haired so lets look EXACTLY THE SAME', which ruined any sense of characterisation for me... and the art... well i suppose the same issue combined with becoming uninteresting come the first... kinda match.



final notes are that sket wasn't really ailing that badly, it stayed at the peak of the bottom 5, which is important enough, psyrens recent place there has been positive too so i dont see that sorta place as bad.. still the top 5 breakthroughs were joyous!
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
So yeah...Eyeshield is getting canceled. XD

With the most recent chapter containing the Millitaria AND Germany games, I'm pretty sure they are getting a rushed ending. I'm kind of glad...It would've been a shame for it to fully burn out. The new arc really does suck...They should've ended where it was supposed to. The only way I can see it continuing further is if they have Sena go into the NFL. I really hope they don't....

Sena joins the Steelers for the Superbowl. XD
I doubt it, they've done that before and the rankings haven't been nearly bad enough.

I think they're just trying to move through the fodder quickly to get to the important game like they did in that one other tournament. Except this time they're doing it horribly.

Edit: Anyways, I think Asklepios will be up next, followed by Neuro and either Kuroko or Bokke-san.
 
Last edited:

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Edit: Anyways, I think Asklepios will be up next, followed by Neuro and either Kuroko or Bokke-san.
Asklepios is definitely next. Neuro is said to be coming to an end right? So there's two series gone. Just as long as Kuroko, Meister, and Mago stick around I'll be happy. I enjoy even the most generic of sports titles :p. I could care less about any of the other series up for possible cancellation.

I still don't think ES21 is that close to cancellation. I do think the U.S./Japan game will be the finale (though I wouldn't mind it continuing for some other form of a tournament or jumping to the NFL), but imo, there are still at least 20 chapters left in the series (I'd say at least 15 for the game and 5 for build up and ending/epilogue). I'm still enjoying it.

Also, does Bokke-san get an official ranking next issue?

Anyways, any news on Hoshino? I miss D. Gray Man.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
no news on hoshino, but then i only care about the return of inada and sanjo to jumpsq with beet so i havent exactly been looking...

and bokke san will be rated next issue. heres hoping for a crash n burn
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
is beet returning? :wtf
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
no. so far in theres been no news since a joint announcement from viz and shueisha that when it returns theyll continue releasing it, likely as either web jump or jump sq logically, though nothings been said on it so it could just be a lie they told to make me hopeful....

OVER TWO FUCKING YEARS ah i want inada to get better! what with the best shonen artstyle ever itd be criminal for him to not return
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Am I one of the few that liked K.O Sen? I think that could've been a great series.

I have a liking towards sport series that I've done myself. Soccer and kickboxing... and I wouldn't mind a swimming manga since I love swimming.
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
yeah i love the art in beat, the vandals always make me think of dragonball's art style.
i'd pretty much forgotten bout it till you brought it up, hopefully inada's wellness is round the corner.

lol i cant see swimming making a good manga. maybe its cause all of the swimming scene over here is filled with douchebags, and its pretty boring anyway (no offence intended).
but then again i've been hoping for a le Tour manga, though i cant really see it working.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Anyways, any news on Hoshino? I miss D. Gray Man.
According to the main page of Onemanga Hoshino is suffering from a severe wrist injury and is currently recovering. As of right now DGM is expected to return in April. For now I see no reason not to believe it. If a contributor to this thread were to contradict that information I would certainly believe them first.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top