Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Unless the game is intentionally sped up in the next few chapters (which is a possibility) Eyeshield's probably not going yet. It's barely been in the bottom compared to far less popular series like Muhyo, Neuro and Mx0.

I think it's gonna come down to Neuro, and either Bokke-san or Hoop Men. Even if it fails, Beelzebub could probably get enough promotion to at least last one round.
 
Last edited:

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Cuts seem to happen too regularly for it to be something that can be avoided. We shouldn't see them until the new series have been ranked for a few chapters, but they'll happen. At least some old series should die/end at that time. Maybe HxH will replace an old one if it ends in the next few chapters?
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The only way I could see it being avoided is if Neuro was the only cut.

I do recall single cuts happening before, though not in a while.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still don't think Jump will be able to support two Basketball manga at once. I honestly expect either Kuroko or Hoop Men to fail.

If Neuro ends that takes care of the necessary cuts. Unless HxH comes back which I'm starting to have my doubts on. Lazy ass Togashi. ¬___¬
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
if it came to being between hoop men and kuroko i'd rather kuroko caved, but it's unlikely it'd go this round anyway.

my predictions for cuts are JUST Neuro and Bokke-san. I don't think we'll lose another series this time around.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Surprisingly with the rate Kishi's been revealing everything and how close he is to a conclusion, Naruto could end within the next year or so. Maybe it will last long enough to make it through the anniversary but my guess is we may see it out by next year. (no matter what Narutards try to say that there's enough to keep it going for a longer time) Bleach...well, I'd say it's approaching an end, but Kubo's writing style for this (and his "The End is Long" in one of the recent volumes) makes me think he can stretch it out for years with how he basically just storyboards.

And people really shouldn't worry about series like Naruto or Bleach ending, considering other series will rise to the occasion to boost up the magazine as long as it has tentpoles like OP.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I honestly think the only thing that will stop Bleach is if people wise up and it gets canceled. Kubo already said he has no plans on stopping it and I honestly think any other manga series he will try to do in the future will fail if his writing stays like this. XD

I agree with you Ataru, with last chapter's latest twist I definitely think Naruto could end by next year. Kishi's recent pace is much faster.

If both ended at some recent point it would at least make the mag less top-heavy.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
with the possibilities for a Naruto-as-hokage-rebuilding-konoha-then-final-sasuke-battle arc, i won't say it'll end in 09 at all, but certainly Late 2010 it can finally lay in peace
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't really care when they end, but they have to start finding their successors. Bakuman doesn't count, cause it'll probably end even before Naruto does. I can't even see any of the mid tiers rising to the challenge.

JUMP probably has something in store. I mean Toriko is the only big hit they've released in god knows how long..
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
if it came to being between hoop men and kuroko i'd rather kuroko caved, but it's unlikely it'd go this round anyway.
Same here. While I'm not particularly for or against either of them yet, I would rather see Hoop Men go somewhere. I think there's a lot more personality to it and I can see it getting a lot better down the road, while I can't really see Kuroko rising much higher than "kind of entertaining, would rather have it over Eyeshield".
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Don't forget that Mago is emerging as a hit. It even managed to knock Toriko out of the top five two weeks ago, the last issue it was ranked.

And Hoop Men is far superior to Kuroko. Art, story, characters; all are superior.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't really care when they end, but they have to start finding their successors. Bakuman doesn't count, cause it'll probably end even before Naruto does. I can't even see any of the mid tiers rising to the challenge.

JUMP probably has something in store. I mean Toriko is the only big hit they've released in god knows how long..
The best bet is probably Toriko as you mentioned.

lol Jump doesn't have any hits because they waste all their time on promoting dying bodies like Bleach instead of other series. Also they can be quick to cancel potential hits. Double Arts comes to mind when looking at its sales.

Then again, I have gotten rather tired of this "trinity" crap so I'm fine with there not being another generation of it.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
we don't need a trinity, but it'd be nice to have a batch of battle mangas in JUMP, while it's turned to style over substance series (Bleach, Reborn, D. Gray Man, Mago) I'm not saying those series are bad, some are, some aren't. It's just the days of over the top action and comedy series seem to be in the past.

Minus Toriko, the closest thing to a battle manga we got is Psyren, and while I'm a fan, it's still pretty boring. Toriko is refreshing because it gives us over the top characters, some comedy, and a new concept over all. I'm glad we got Beelzebub, because it seems like it has potential to become similar to what Toriko and One Piece are (yeah yeah, I know most people want it to be a straight up gag series, but I don't think the author is going that way)

TLDR, JUMP is way too serious lately
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Huh? DGM and Mago seem to be examples of substance to me - they're both plot-based and don't need to rely on continuous action arcs (at least, that was true for Mago last time I read it) like Bleach and Reborn. Having a bunch of battle manga would actually be quite horrible for readers... not everyone likes that sort of thing. And if you do, there's a few of those. There are also plot-based series, comedies, gag series, sports... Jump needs that variety. And yes, part of that is having serious series, because those can be popular... and they ARE. Those four you mentioned are pretty successful, minus what may be happening to Bleach right now.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why not just get plot based battle mangas? Not every battle series has to be like Bleach...I think Psyren has a very good ongoing plot for a battle manga.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i agree with randal, psyren has gotten pretty smart for a series that has so much in common with bleach's core elements, and that just proves bleach doesn't have to be what it's become.

and the future of jump has some great series that can keep the magazine going:
Psyren, Hoop Men, Bakuman, Beelzebub, Sket Dance, Mago AND Toriko all bode well for jump's future so far (though two being sans tank means i could be wrong)

and heck, despite pretty low first volume sales, inumaru dashi has spiced things up a fair bit with gag manga by going without comparison to any other current runners (The last series to achieve that was taizo... wait no that could be compared to bobobo)
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Maybe I'm not expressing myself well enough, but what I'm trying to say is, when you look at that list, what will appeal to the Bleach fans? The Naruto fans? They are a large bulk of JUMPs fans, at least in the USA. I dunno about Japan, but I'd say it's pretty similar.

None of those series you wrote are going to be the next Naruto or the next Bleach. Maybe the people who read Bleach read it because it's a quick, violent, sword clashing fight fest. As horrible as I think Bleach is, there's nothing else like it. It's the new Dragon Ball Z. And then you look at Naruto, the only manga in JUMP that attracts both fangirls and fanboys a like. From a writing point of view, it sucks balls. But it has a huge fan base, and none of those series can really replace them, and you'd think JUMP is trying to publish the next best thing, not just the next mediocre mid tier semi well selling comic.

Aside from Toriko (which will still probably be more attractive to the One Piece fans then anyone else) none of those series can hope to be the next Naruto/Bleach.

Of course there's always Kishi and Kubo's next mangas... ugh.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ironically, for a battle manga, I think Psyren's battles are one of the low points of the series. XD
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ironically, for a battle manga, I think Psyren's battles are one of the low points of the series. XD
Really? I always thought Iwashiro was awesome at illustrating abilities. Downside to the series would definitely be the characters for me, but it's still a good series at heart.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
screw the US fans, they've been happy enough to buy rereleases of the dbz anime, they'll rebuy naruto manga in new formats endlessly too.

and seconded again randal, i'm a bigger fan of the non-psyren parts for that very reason.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top