Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Those 23 pages really do make me wonder which place Psyren is ranked at. If it skyrocketed I will be pretty damn happy. [noparse]:D[/noparse]

The America game in ES21 feels rushed as well in comparison to others. Especially the last 2 chapters. It may not be much of a stretch for it to end with the next cuts after all.

I'm also curious about which Mangaka will be doing those one-shots. I hope there are a few pleasant surprises involved.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

we can only hope.

(also randal this whole butthurt one piece fan thing over at the lj comm is just getting funny now XD)

so yeah, sket dance being bottom five sucks...
Hahahahaha It's funny how much fanboys can freak out over a sarcastic joke.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I remember once, when visiting a Ichigo x Rukia fanboy/fangirl LJ community... I managed to drive the owner of the LJ so mad that she decided to close all entries I've replied + make the community close to "friends only"... :p
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Now, now, some easily butthurt fans might be reading this. :< When I'm butthurt, I cause others to be butthurt. On LJ. So what's this One Piece thing about?

As I said earlier (=P) oneshots probably mean DGM won't be coming back for at least five weeks. There's no chance that Hoop will end before cuts, being such an excellent cushion, right? Or would they end it sooner if it reached an appropriate length for volumes and it wouldn't make another one? Could ES21 reasonably end faster than that at the pace it's going, or does it seem likely that it'll take another eight chapters or so to end?

Kuroko with extra pages? Is it really that popular, or is it being pimped by Jump to be the next sports series since Hoop fell so badly? (Speaking of which, could Hoop's failure be due to Jump action, too? ToC rankings aren't all about popularity... Not that it'd be immensely popular otherwise, but it does seem awfully convenient that the competing sports series fell to the bottom right away and stayed there. Could have just been unpopular, but...)
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

and last but not least, welcome and always hop by in the psyren section
Thanks :) I'll be sure to check it out and post some of my crazy theories/predictions there when I can.

Hoop Men doesn't seem long for this world ^^ It'll be gone by Bon. what goes with it is the interesting question.
My bet is on Eyeshield. General consensus is it should have ended long ago. Also, for some reason I think Murata is going to turn Blust! into a series a few months after ES21 is over. Not immediately though.

What really worries me is the series of cuts AFTER the next. After Hoop Men and ES21 are (probably) gone, the ones left will be Mago, Psyren, Sket and maybe even Medaka and/or Akaboshi. I don't even wanna think about any of these being canceled, as they all are among my favorites in Jump's current lineup. Why does the "bottom" half of Jump have to be so damn good anyway?
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Maybe, just maybe... we might reach a equilibrium point, where nothing is really worth cutting!

Of course, we can only dream... ;)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

lmao! Are we really headed towards the day when people complain about new series?!

We can all rest comfortably knowing that someday Jump will lay another egg, something to buffer the better series above it. If both Medaka and Akaboshi succeed, something from the next batch will fail. Otherwise, what fun would this thread be?
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Maybe, just maybe... we might reach a equilibrium point, where nothing is really worth cutting!

Of course, we can only dream... ;)
No offense man but that would kind of suck. I like a bit of variety in Shonen Jump I'd hate it if it was always the same manga in their with no hope for variety.

Though if that did ever happen that all the series in Shonen Jump were extremely popular then they'd probably just add new spots since they'd have enough money.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Though if that did ever happen that all the series in Shonen Jump were extremely popular then they'd probably just add new spots since they'd have enough money.
lol! The first 1000p weekly; that'd be epic win!
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I remember once, when visiting a Ichigo x Rukia fanboy/fangirl LJ community... I managed to drive the owner of the LJ so mad that she decided to close all entries I've replied + make the community close to "friends only"... :p
I commend you for that. I hate people like that.

But for everyone who doesn't know, some fanboy freaked about on the WSJ live journal cuz I made a sarcastic joke about One piece in the post about Viz's releases. He thought I was actually calling OP a plotless gag manga. Yeah, go read it. It's quite entertaining. XD

Maybe, just maybe... we might reach a equilibrium point, where nothing is really worth cutting!

Of course, we can only dream...
Oh there will always be something to cut. It will eventually just have to be good things. Too bad some old series can't just end. I can think of a few megahits that might have been around to long >_>...(Perhapse about a soul reaper or two..)
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

i'm surprised that no-one's brought up the confounding and pleasing decision of viz media to catch up with one piece (hint: doesn't really make sense AT ALL)
I hadn't heard about that so I did a google search to figure out whether they were going to release 30 volumes in a 3-4 month span (no results regarding that were found :(), but one of the first few links led me to this, which pretty much summed up my feelings when I heard this news :D.

Anyways, dammit Nurari, get the f' up. You're too good to be that low :notrust.

And I shall begin mourning for Hoop Men's cut, as it has become one of my favorite series in jump. I don't want to see it go so soon :darn.
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The extra-pages are likely something to fill the void that dgm left between the new series and one shots coming up. It's a nice bonus for fans and something to boost interest in series that might need it, but nothing all too awesome. :p

Some predictions: Hoop men and es21 will likely be gone by the next cut.
Medaka should be cut after 3 volumes at best. It feels like the whole story has already been milked for whatever interesting thing could be in it -- in the first chapter. The obvious similarity to Haruhi gave me hope at first but for the female main character seems just too out there, no adorable oddities nor any redeeming features. The whole one-man-student-council thing blows things out of proportion right away. The male main character (what was his name again?) is obsessed with understanding her best (did he say anything else aside from "I understand her best since I am her childhood friend"?) nor was he able to grab my attention by using sarcastic remarks...
It sure doesn't seem like a series that can grab any fan -- aside from those only looking below the neck, above the stomach and for those there's more interesting series outside of WSJ, I'm sure. [/medaka rant]

Haven't read akaboshi yet, but I guess that basing it loosely on the suikoden novels gives it a vast universe to play with so it might be interesting and stay for a while.

To Love Ru will likely live to see 2010 unless Shueisha manages to introduce a new ecchi-hit. Though it doesn't seem as if they even want to introduce a new one. I suppose they don't want to try to get the crown of the best story driven ecchi manga from Mahou Sensei Negima :p (Not that I think anything will be able to beat MSN in that regard... epic story + awesome ecchi is far too rare for that.)

Other than that, I hope Naruto ends in '09 or '10 and Bleach will do the same. Something old got to clear the way... And HxH and DGM should start to make switch-publishing >.> 10chapters of one, 10chapters of the other <.<
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Medaka should be cut after 3 volumes at best. It feels like the whole story has already been milked for whatever interesting thing could be in it -- in the first chapter.
Yeah, tried it now as well but it's a huge waste of time.

Other than that, I hope Naruto ends in '09 or '10 and Bleach will do the same. Something old got to clear the way... And HxH and DGM should start to make switch-publishing >.> 10chapters of one, 10chapters of the other <.<
2010, I'd say. Both series stretch to much to end it this year.

And yes, switching HxH and DGM constantly would be kind funny :XD
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Assuming we even get DGM again. Annoying indefinite hiatuses.

I think its a bit harsh to judge Medaka Box based off of one chapter. Seeing how it shapes up after 3-5 is better imo.

Oh god, Naruto and Bleach ending before 2010 would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, Bleach will still be around for years according to Kubo. >.>

I don't see Jump really ending To Love Ru yet due to sales. Even though it would really be a good time to end it at this point.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well I won't judge Medaka but well a prediction of a new serie failing and ending in a cut, isn't difficult and always possible.

I do want to point out ttx stated that he hoped for bleach and naruto ending this or next year. He never said it will be like that, I think we will agree if we hoped some regular long running series would end but I simply don't see it happen.

TLR? volume sales has nothing to do with that. If jump decides that it'll end even with good volume sales (like mx0) then it'll end. But yeah, hoop and es21 seem to be the next cut. Two series it can survive
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How were Mx0 sales in comparison to To Love Ru?

I do agree on those 2 being the next cuts though.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Braiking Boss said:
I think its a bit harsh to judge Medaka Box based off of one chapter. Seeing how it shapes up after 3-5 is better imo.
I don't like to judge on just one chapter but Medaka is one of those cases where I simply see no interesting outcome possible. It warms up stuff that has been told so often already that I'm tired of even reading through the first chapter.

The girl is surely drawn nicely but that alone can't rescue a story that has already been told plenty in a more interesting way.
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How were Mx0 sales in comparison to To Love Ru?

I do agree on those 2 being the next cuts though.
Strangely, kinda similar. Mx0 was a top ten seller too. I think, not genrewise but sellingwise, both could be compared. But TLR had more and lots of glorious moments in the ToC whereas mx0 was more like sket dance, psyren,... you know: the jojo


I don't like to judge on just one chapter but Medaka is one of those cases where I simply see no interesting outcome possible. It warms up stuff that has been told so often already that I'm tired of even reading through the first chapter.

The girl is surely drawn nicely but that alone can't rescue a story that has already been told plenty in a more interesting way.
I just can't say it based on the first chapter but I agree medaka isn't going to be the top serie as toriko, bakuman and beelzebub are. I think sket dance and medaka balance out each other. If medaka succeeds then I see people losing interest in sket, if not then sket will keep its fanbase
 
Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think that I've read enough manga (and media in general) to allow me a negative judgment on a newcomer right from the start. If it's surprisingly manages to proof me wrong, all the better. I'm the last one who would doom a series forever (and no, still not interested to get back on Psyren, sorry Saki :XD).
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think that I've read enough manga (and media in general) to allow me a negative judgment on a newcomer right from the start. If it's surprisingly manages to proof me wrong, all the better. I'm the last one who would doom a series forever (and no, still not interested to get back on Psyren, sorry Saki :XD).
Definitely true

the last one you should listen to when it comes to predictions is me ;) (well it's on your eternal what-was-the-name-list :p but well your choice to pick psyren up or not :))

May I ask you something different on another level: did you expect bakuman, toriko and beelzebub to be a top serie?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top