Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Seinfeld is an exception, since it did things that were rather eccentric in terms of the standard television sitcom. But I digress, I can see Kochikame pulling this off quite well, I'm highly anticipating this. Wasn't there a live action Jaguar movie? I can imagine that it would be an amusing drama.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I feel like Mago has been so far overshadowed by all the newcomers. I mean, I never enjoyed it, but I feel like it's gotten lost amidst everything new, and old. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut short, Mx0 style.
Mago is more popular then Mx0 ever was. Mx0 never sold as well. The only series to debut between 2007 and 2009 that out sell Mago is Bakuman and Toriko. Toriko does not out sell it by much. Also, Mago's sales continue to rise. Psyren and Sket Dance are in much more danger. Both are weak sellers, by Jump standards.
 
Last edited:

fujitofu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
11
Reaction score
15
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

小ネタ
・27ドベ5 フープ、とら、スケ、ぬらり、21
・亀テレビドラマ化 主演香取慎吾
・28巻頭リボ Cバクマン、読切
- Issue 27 bottom 5: Hoopmen, To love, Sketdance, Mago, Eyeshield 21
- Kochi kame getting dramatized, Katori Shingo plays the lead role
- Issue 28 cover: Reborn!, center color: Bakuman, One Shot
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yep, but I'm not sure how it did in the threater...
Though I do know the DMC's movie was pretty successful.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

There's a major difference, though, between the Japanese LA drama and an American comedy show. A Japanese drama sort of goes from series to series and usually runs for just a specific time period. American comedies are for the most part run season to season with longer runs.

If KochiKame works I could see it renewed. But personally with a lot of the crazy stuff in Jump, I rather they stick with anime, which for the most part can still be made cheaply.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

If KochiKame works I could see it renewed. But personally with a lot of the crazy stuff in Jump, I rather they stick with anime, which for the most part can still be made cheaply.
Since Kochikame is an episodic comedy series to begin with, I guess it won't be to different from doing an 11 episode anime.

The problem with anime is that the ratings are lower then drama. Bloody Monday's was three to four points higher then One Piece, one of the most popular anime. Obviously a series like Psyren could never get a drama, it would need a Hollywood budget for the effects. But a series like Sket Dance or Bakuman would be far more successful live due to the difference in popularity between the formats. The extra exposure could benefit the manga too; Bloody Monday went from a mid - tier series to one of the most popular in ShoMag since airing.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Katori Shingo? KATORI SHINGO? They got a SMAP member?! HOLY CRAP ON A FISHSTICK.

Yeah, Kochikame could do really well as a drama. Seems like the kind of thing that would be suited to one. Doesn't need a plot with a real ending, and in fact, if it doesn't, it could even have multiple seasons (which isn't very common in dramas, though probably because of plot). Wow! Congratulations to Kochikame!

Bet it'll have high ratings, too.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Finally, someone who noticed who's starring the series... :p
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

You're right. That text looks nothing like Ryotsu!
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

OK, I can see him playing Ryo - san now :D Looks like he'll be able to blend into the role. Slap a unibrow and crew cut on him and he'll be fine.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The problem with anime is that the ratings are lower then drama. Bloody Monday's was three to four points higher then One Piece, one of the most popular anime.
Oh really? I like the manga a lot and the drama was really well done.

You're right. That text looks nothing like Ryotsu!
>.>;;;

@Kaiten.Sama
No hotlinking images unless it's allowed or hosted on a freehost, please. It's very impolite towards the original host. We remove the tags for those from your posts when we see that it's hotlinked.

//edit... same goes for Fine :smack

[quote="Kaiten.Sama, post: 1363959"]OK, I can see him playing Ryo - san now :D Looks like he'll be able to blend into the role. Slap a unibrow and crew cut on him and he'll be fine.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the face really fits. Now I don't how him as an actor but seems he has a good reputation and he's a singer too? Sweet.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Kochikame drama....... DREAM. COME. TRUE.

this and jaguar's live action movie just shows that things i like are better suited to non-anime formats (though the kochikame anime movie stands in my top 5 anime any day of the week)
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I wouldn't say better suited, but it is indeed a viable alternative medium. Also, due to cultural bias toward anime/cartoon in general, movies/drama series would be able to attract a wider audiences that might otherwise be hesitant to see it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Oh really? I like the manga a lot and the drama was really well done.
So do I. Both the manga and drama are very good. Bloody Monday reinforced (to me at least) that shonen could be successfully adapted into drama. Not only do I think it made a better drama then it would have anime, it found an even bigger audience with live actors.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yes, indeed. But then again, the topic of hacker and terrorists is simply a good one for a live action adaption and Bloody Monday presents the story nicely. Also loved how they did the falcon fly during the hacking scenes <333

Ehem... *hits herself back to topic* :offtopic2
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yes, indeed. But then again, the topic of hacker and terrorists is simply a good one for a live action adaption and Bloody Monday presents the story nicely. Also loved how they did the falcon fly during the hacking scenes <333

Ehem... *hits herself back to topic* :offtopic2
lol. That's how I feel about a couple of Jump titles. Bakuman and Sket would make phenomenal drama, Kuroko as well, though I don't actually like the comic.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hm, I really have to catch up with Sket. Together with Nurari, it is the only more recent Jump title that actually interests me.

I stopped Bakuman relatively early because it was boring to me. It's not the first manga I've read about manga creators and I generally find this plot interesting but I don't like the story telling in Bakuman. Too generic shounen-ish for my taste but probably nice for a teenie TV drama.
 
Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Off topic but someone really needs to sub the Jaguar movie and Flash Anime.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top