Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Kuroko overall has been unimpressive. There isn't any big attachment to the characters present like there was for Jump's other major sport series. There are like 2 characters that interest me and even then, its only slightly.

The actual games aren't as exciting as PoT's matches or ES21's either. I feel like Kuroko wouldn't last that long on its own without Jump supporting it atm. Unless something big comes up soon.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

it's tragic that Kuroko got accepted when it's basically junk but Meister and Hoop Men got rejected quite heavily by WSJ readers
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well...I felt Meister was a bit rushed, though I still liked it better than Kuroko. But I agree with Hoop Men, I guess I just found it more appealing.
 
Last edited:

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Add one more who prefers Hoop Men over Kuroko. I think I may have dropped Kuroko w/o realizing it ;). I guess Hoop Men's only hope now is that it remains long enough for the first volume to come out (which I doubt) and said first volume magically sells like one piece (which is most improbable :p). But hey a man can dream.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I really enjoy reading Kuroko, however I have two things concern this series. First, chapters for game is too short. When Seirin fought with Seihou, it only took five chapters to finish the game, it was even shorter when they fought against Kaijou. I think it is too short for fighting against the team which is one of top three teams in Tokyo. I think that's why I don't have any impact that Seihou is really strong team. Secondly, there is no cool character on the opposite side. From Slam Dunk, PoT, and Eyeshield, there are lots of cool characters on opposite team. However, Kuroko really doesn't any cool rivals. I think the author put too much focus Generation of Miracles, compare to other series. I think characters from other team should have more character development, like Iwamura and Kasuga (both from Seihou).

In conclusion, I think Seirin against Shuutoku is most important part for this series for judging whether Kuroko can be next successful sport series or not.
 

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The preview of issue 29 @ http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html


Toriko (First pages in color!)
Eyeshield 21(Climax, Center title pages in color!!)

NARUTO 
ONE PIECE 
BEELZEBUB 
Bakuman 
Inumarudashi 
Pyu to fuku! Jaguar 
Medaka Box 
Kuroko's Basket ball 
Hoopmen 
BLEACH 
SKET DANCE 
Nurarihyon no mago 
Gintama 
Reborn! 
Kochikame 
PSYREN 
AKABOSHI 
To LOVE ru 
Anything look wrong with this TOC? *Hoopman and AKABOSHI...switched places.* also how did Bleach end up that low?
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Not the TOC >.<

If Jaguar is not last assume it is not the TOC nor does it resemble the TOC.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Man, this is one those wtf moment. As glad as I am that mago finally start to recover, but why the fuck is hoop men doing higher than psyren.and what is up with gintama, reborn and bleach being so low
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Are we SERIOUSLY going to have to go through this every week? That is not the TOC. It's just WHAT'S IN the magazine, written in no particular order. It was the same last week, it sticks the color pages first, then other stuff in a random order. (Also note that the color pages are always NOT the first three.)
 

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Are we SERIOUSLY going to have to go through this every week? That is not the TOC. It's just WHAT'S IN the magazine, written in no particular order. It was the same last week, it sticks the color pages first, then other stuff in a random order.
Oh..Thanks for the reminder! :darn
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The real TOC, Issue 29

Toriko (cover, color)
Naruto
One Piece
Bleach
Beelzebub
Inumarudashi
Medaka Box
Kuromitsu - sama Mairu! (one shot, color)
Reborn
Akaboshi
Sket Dance
Kuroko
Mago
Eyeshield 21 (color, extra pages, end)
Gintama
Kochikame
Bakuman
Psyren
To Love Ru
Hoop Men
Jaguar

Between one shots, new series, and final chapters there are lots and lots of unranked series this week. They happen to be the series with bold text. Sad to see Eyeshield come to such an inglorious end. Despite the world tournament it was a great series, deserving of one last cover. Even though it's technically not ranked, I'm glad to see the editors are placing Medaka so high. It's a really fun series, I really want it to last a little while.
 

Kuuki

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
277
Reaction score
18
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Omg Gintama at number 10. I guess the Jiraia arc is not popular among fans? But I really like it though Dx

And it's kinda surprising to see Bakuman being so low. But good to see Mago escaping bottom 5.

Also, sad to see ES21 ending. Big thanks to Inagaki-sensei and Murata-sensei for bringing us this awesome serie!
 
Last edited:

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Wow, ES21's getting a better send off then PoT is I remember. Color and extra pages huh.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well, if mago,akaboshi, or medaka keep rising or at least stay at their current position, I don't think we need to worry.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I still don't get how Inumaru Dash gets into the top five... I'm gonna try to maybe translate the series quickly and catch up and see if there are really things that good. I know I've seen some really good crazy stuff later on, maybe...

Rerst ios pretty normal, really. I haven't read Medaka but people say it's not great? Akaboshi is pretty good. These ranks don't really mean much anyway in terms of if they'll survive. Once Eyeshield is gone we'll see what takes its place... Bakuman being low is odd, I think the story's still great. But maybe it's just top heavy or whatever. Psyren, too. Though that I'd only put in the middle.

And Toriko getting back to number one I'm happy about, I dunno how it got so low those two (nonconsecutive) weeks, but that happens I guess.

Plus Beelzebub does exceptionally well. But we'll see if it can keep that up past its initial arc.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Was Bakuman ranked since it had colored pages? I'm not surprised to see so low because it wasn't the best chapter but the story was still moving along. Looks like the three new comers are doing well and i hope they stay.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Wow, ES21's getting a better send off then PoT is I remember. Color and extra pages huh.
Nah. PoT got the cover and color for it's third to last chapter and more color for it's last.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The real TOC, Issue 29

Toriko (cover, color)
Naruto
One Piece
Bleach
Beelzebub
Inumarudashi
Medaka Box
Kuromitsu - sama Mairu! (one shot, color)
Reborn
Akaboshi
Sket Dance
Kuroko
Mago
Eyeshield 21 (color, extra pages, end)
Gintama
Kochikame
Bakuman
Psyren
To Love Ru
Hoop Men
Jaguar

Between one shots, new series, and final chapters there are lots and lots of unranked series this week. They happen to be the series with bold text. Sad to see Eyeshield come to such an inglorious end. Despite the world tournament it was a great series, deserving of one last cover. Even though it's technically not ranked, I'm glad to see the editors are placing Medaka so high. It's a really fun series, I really want it to last a little while.
Agreed on the last part. I really enjoy Medaka Box. Akaboshi, not so much but I give most series a volume's worth of chapters to impress me.

I've personally felt that Bakuman has some more hit and miss chapters as of late so the yo-yo effect it has going on doesn't surprise me. Not that its ToC ranking alone will kill it or anything.

Good to see Sket rise pretty high. The Happy Birthday chapters are deserving of that much. Mago in the middle of the mag is good to see. The latest chapters with the onmyouji have been good.

Beelzebub and Inumaru in the top 5. I'm really curious about the latter now for it to be doing so well. Reborn just barely missing that ranking.

Now I wave goodbye to Eyeshield. The majority of the series was pretty epic and it will be missed.
 

kim09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I still don't get how Inumaru Dash gets into the top five... I'm gonna try to maybe translate the series quickly and catch up and see if there are really things that good. I know I've seen some really good crazy stuff later on, maybe...

Yeah kewl0210!!! :yourock You can do it!!
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

hmm... Is the snap poll for Medaka and Akaboshi really that high?! I mean their pre-8th week placement so far is fairly high compare to other new series over the years...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top