Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Random Question: How does Reborn's popularity compare with Shaman King's? I ask because since Shaman King was cancelled so late in, I was wondering if it could happen to Reborn too...
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Random Question: How does Reborn's popularity compare with Shaman King's? I ask because since Shaman King was cancelled so late in, I was wondering if it could happen to Reborn too...
Not remotely, Reborn has a fanbase that isn't generally based around the manga per se, much like D.Gray-Man. If anything, over in Japan, Reborn is more popular than Shaman King, so I can't see it getting cancelled far into it's serialization.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I have a feeling that two of three series can be cushion for other series. For Wajima Satoshi, there are already couple of gag series in Jump, so it going to be hard to be successful. For Tanaka Tasuki, he already failed once, so he has to make really good on his second work to gain editors repect, if he didn't, he might end up like Uchimizu.

In conclusion, most people think Kawashita can be successful because she is very famous for Ichigo. But, there are lots of example that author with hit series, fail in their second work, like Sawai, Nishi, Watsuki, Fujisaki, and Takei. So she has to make her new series really good because the reader will make comparison to Ichigo.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I smell a new Poseidon.

Oh and this was posted elsewhere:

2009-31 Bottom 5
Psyren
Kuroko
Bakuman
ToLoveRu
Hoopman (The End)

Toriko on break

New Series:
2009-32: Kawashita Mizuki "Ane Doki"
2009-33: Tanaka Yasuki (Hitomi's author)
2009-34: Wachima Satoshi (Author who did the 1-shot in 2008-51 issue)

2009-32
Lead CP: Ane Doki
CP: Bleach, Beelze
 

y A M A T O

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
220
Reaction score
67
Gender
Male
Country
Italy

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Is he Hitomi no Catoplebas' author? God, it makes me happy :)
Tis! I really wish I could find the raws for Kagijin's pilot. The art was amazing, better then Hitomi or Jamie Vu (great one shot, for anyone who hasn't read it). Here's a link to the color page:

 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I have a feeling that two of three series can be cushion for other series.

You are right, I just hope it's the gag and the harem not the action.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Tanaka's art is pretty decent for an action shounen. Well I definitely look forward to what he has to offer. I won't be dissapointed by his art, that's for sure
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Let's see if his writing improved since Hitomi. The one shots he's done since have been good. Hitomi itself wasn't completely horrible. The main character was interesting, definitely not a typical shonen hero. What really bugged me was the big fight with poorly introduced villains that took up the last half of the series. If anyone else has read Ga - Rei, Hitomi kind of ripped off it's plot. Only Tokio wasn't a hot chick ;) Despite those obvious flaws I've been looking forward to Tanaka's return for a while now.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The name of Tanaka's new series is actually called "Kagijin" (lit. Key-man) instead of Kenjin, and it is based on his one-shot that was in Akamaru 2009-Winter. :)

I still remember vaguely that we talked about it, and the preview ad was posted here.
Well thanks for the info...musta missed it. sounds interesting though. i hope it lasts
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I've generally liked his one-shots, even the Hitomi one was quite a lot better than the actual series turned out. I'm guessing (or hoping, at any rate) that the problem was largely it being his first actual ongoing manga.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone knows how the editors choose which series to be cancel? Looking at some series, like Neuro, Muhyo, and Mxo, and the rumor about Mago, I become confused how the systems work. I thought unpopular series are the first choice for cancelation.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone knows how the editors choose which series to be cancel? Looking at some series, like Neuro, Muhyo, and Mxo, and the rumor about Mago, I become confused how the systems work. I thought unpopular series are the first choice for cancelation.
I don't know how the well the graphic novels of those series sold but Neuro and Mxo where in the bottom 5 quite often and would sometime yoyo up to the middle or the top 5 but for the last couple of months at least they hung around the bottom so that might have had something to do with it.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Neuro ended naturally (though it probably would've been canceled before long if it didn't), and Muhyo/Mx0 were both in the bottom more than long enough to warrant cancellation.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Just for the record, neither Neuro nor (I guess) Muhyo were canceled.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Just for the record, neither Neuro nor (I guess) Muhyo were canceled.
Muhyo's ending is definitely more abrupt than Neuro, not to mention Muhyo ended with last place.

Neuro, on the other hand, managed to wrap up the final nemesis before ending.
 

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone knows how the editors choose which series to be cancel? Looking at some series, like Neuro, Muhyo, and Mxo, and the rumor about Mago, I become confused how the systems work. I thought unpopular series are the first choice for cancelation.
Supposedly Mx0 was like Psyren more popular to readers on the internet then people who read it straight from a copy Weekly Shounen Jump
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Supposedly Mx0 was like Psyren more popular to readers on the internet then people who read it straight from a copy Weekly Shounen Jump
Shueisha could care less about the internet readers like us. It's about sales, and Mx0 was much popular than Psyren (or Sket) is now with the tank buying readers.

Mx0 was at around 120k per volume when it ended.
Psyren has yet break the 60k barrier I believe.
Sket Dance is currently 70kish

This is the reason why the previous extended discussion in this thread focuses our worries at Psyren and Sket.. because the growth of tank sales isn't as strong as Mx0, and yet Mx0 was axed. The good news right now is that Psyren and Sket, while not spectacular on the ToC, is still decent enough to be yo-yoing around.




Off-topic, but I found this gem that I just have to share with Kaiten:

76 71 *11,119 *,762,087 33 434 聖☆おにいさん 1
After 33 weeks, Saint Young Man Vol.1 is still inside the top 100 for Oricon comics tally... rofl...
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How do the higher-ups at Jump decide when to serialize a one-shot? I assume this Kagijin was popular as a one-shot? Or is Jump simply buying time for something else?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top