Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How i feel so out of the loop. I haven't done any research on the new series we have coming. Usually i'm up to date on this stuff. XD
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

With the new series, your sig is going to be quite crowded.
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

More info on the Jump Super Anime Tour:

The featured shows this year will be: Toriko, highlights from the upcoming One Piece Movie (the first directly supervised by Oda), a Naruto 10th anniversary special, a 10th anniversary special for the Yu - Gi -Oh anime, Reborn, and Tegami Bachi. Probably a "special" episode of the first and an advance screening of episode 1 for the latter, but I can't confirm. Last years episodes were streamed with subtitles on the Jump international portal, each were about 23 min. long, the length of a TV show without commercials. Shueisha posted them from late November to late January.
YES.

I'm also excited for the highlights of the OP movie, it's supervised for Oda so it should be really good.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How i feel so out of the loop. I haven't done any research on the new series we have coming. Usually i'm up to date on this stuff. XD
So when does Toriko, Bakuman, and Mago come out of your sig? I think we can safely say they, at least, will survive. Maybe Psyren and Sket too.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Did One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, D.gray-man manage to sold more than 500k from the first volume or only after the anime aired? I mean, I know they are very popular before the anime even aired, but are they that popular?
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Did One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, D.gray-man manage to sold more than 500k from the first volume or only after the anime aired? I mean, I know they are very popular before the anime even aired, but are they that popular?
Seeing that other than Bleach, everything else was the "virgin series" for the respective authors... what makes you think they would selling more than 500k per volume?

BTW, both Reborn and DGM are in the 500k~600k range even now... so...
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

In my prediction, I think Sket Dance will be rank down to middle or maybe bottom 5 again, after issue 33. The reason is that recent high rankings for Sket Dance are actually about big secret between Bossun and Tsubaki, and I have a feeling that this secret is like hidden card for the author. After Bossun's past arc, it returned to one episode chapter, so I think Sket Dance will return to its normal place. So, I think the author needs another really good arc to pull the series back up.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

10th anniversary of the YGO anime............it's like the Toei series never existed and it all started when NAS started it.

Sounds interesting, the rest of it though.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Seeing that other than Bleach, everything else was the "virgin series" for the respective authors... what makes you think they would selling more than 500k per volume?

BTW, both Reborn and DGM are in the 500k~600k range even now... so...
Well, I was just curious whether popular series like them was already super duper popular from the beginning or that they build their popularity steadily .
So I guess they build their popularity right? Anyone know what volume that each series start to reach high point?

In my prediction, I think Sket Dance will be rank down to middle or maybe bottom 5 again, after issue 33. The reason is that recent high rankings for Sket Dance are actually about big secret between Bossun and Tsubaki, and I have a feeling that this secret is like hidden card for the author. After Bossun's past arc, it returned to one episode chapter, so I think Sket Dance will return to its normal place. So, I think the author needs another really good arc to pull the series back up.
Completely agree. Like many other people said, good arc is usually a saving grace for any manga. If the author cannot come up with an even better arc, it will drop again. That's why I have high hope for Mago with it's big arc coming up.
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Nope... at least not that I'm aware of...
When a series by a newbie sells for more than 50k, that'd consider to be really REALLY great start ;)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does someone knows the early ranking and early volume sales for Slam Dunk, Prince of Tennis, and Eyeshield 21?
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So when does Toriko, Bakuman, and Mago come out of your sig? I think we can safely say they, at least, will survive. Maybe Psyren and Sket too.
Probably when they are two years old. Has it been two years for Sket yet? It's probably about time to take that out.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Sket turns two this month.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Even if you take out sket, it will still become very crowded with the three new ones coming in.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I was hoping for Sket to get a special episode this Jump Festa... Oh well...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I was hoping for Sket to get a special episode this Jump Festa... Oh well...
It will probably have an anime in October anyway. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made before Bon. Hard to fathom them releasing a drama CD with big name seiyuu and not making an anime.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think series like Gintama and Sket Dance, which series with lots of one chapter episodes, are giving more chance compare to other series. The reason is that, I think, these series' rankings are depend on the quality if episodes, so they sometimes has good week or bad week, like Gintama dropped bottom 5 last issue and top 5 in Sket Dance. Also, during first 20 weeks ranking for Sket Dance, it was terrible, even dropped to last place, but it manages to survive for almost 2 years. So, I think Medaka might still has a chance to increase because it actually starting their first long arc.

In change of subject, in Kuroko, I wonder why there is still no #7 in Seirin. Is it hidden card character for author or did he just forgot about it?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I can't recall any episodic manga getting special treatment in Jump. As I have said: Sket Dance happened to always have series that ranked below it in the TOC. Every series canceled in the last two years, Mx0 excepted, regularly was beneath Sket. Thus it has been able to forge fan base. Gintama should not even come up in TOC discussions; it sells over 500,000 copies per volume, has an ongoing, 164 episode anime so it is completely untouchable. If a series makes money for Shueisha it's position in the TOC does not matter. To Love Ru, Gintama, D. Gray Man, and Hunter x Hunter are not effected by being in the back of the magazine.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I can't recall any episodic manga getting special treatment in Jump. As I have said: Sket Dance happened to always have series that ranked below it in the TOC. Every series canceled in the last two years, Mx0 excepted, regularly was beneath Sket. Thus it has been able to forge fan base. Gintama should not even come up in TOC discussions; it sells over 500,000 copies per volume, has an ongoing, 164 episode anime so it is completely untouchable. If a series makes money for Shueisha it's position in the TOC does not matter. To Love Ru, Gintama, D. Gray Man, and Hunter x Hunter are not effected by being in the back of the magazine.
If you add the likes of the Trinity, Jaguar, Kochikame, Bakuman, Reborn and Toriko to this it kind of makes you realize just how much less space there is to work with. If WSJ could manage to expand itself somewhat to fit more series in that would be nice granted that is wishful thinking.

How long does it normally take for a tank to come out for a new series. Like 3-4 months?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It will probably have an anime in October anyway. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made before Bon. Hard to fathom them releasing a drama CD with big name seiyuu and not making an anime.

What is Bon?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top