Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

WSJ #33 cover:

I like the cover a lot, hopefuly the content will be as good as the cover.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

A good cover for a series I care about. mainly to see if the author has learnt anything from his previous HUGE TURD (post chapter 1.... maybe 3 i mean)
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't get why people so freak out about bleach failing. Bleach sells more than 700k per volume. Even if it drop, it's not going to get canceled.
And about the next round of cut, has it been decided by jump or are they gonna have the serialization meeting again?
Yeah for real. It could pretty much fall to last place and as long as it keeps selling like it is, its not going anywhere.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well, the cover looks pretty plain...that guy's face lacks some highlighting and shadows - it looks as flat as a pancake.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I am pretty satified with KUroko's 2nd volume sells. But, I'm beginning to worry that Kuroko might going to happen same way with Double Arts. So, does anyone knows that did Jump had a time that there are completely no sport series?
Since Play Ball started with Issue 27 of 1973 (probably could go back earlier, but it was getting frustrating telling which series were sports and which weren't) the only point where there's no sports series in jump is from when Wrestling with Momoko ended in Issue 39 of 1997 to when Rookies began in Issue 10 of 1998.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Since Play Ball started with Issue 27 of 1973 (probably could go back earlier, but it was getting frustrating telling which series were sports and which weren't) the only point where there's no sports series in jump is from when Wrestling with Momoko ended in Issue 39 of 1997 to when Rookies began in Issue 10 of 1998.
I'll try to help you out a bit by linking all the sports series that would prove there was at least one (mostly major but could try minor if needed) with overlap, it won't be every sports series ever, just enough to prove there always was one:

-Chichi no Tamashii (baseball): 1968 (issue 1 no less)-1971
-Samurai Giants (baseball): 1971-1974
-Play Ball (baseball): 1973-1978
-Ring ni Kakero (boxing): 1977-1981
-Captain Tsubasa (soccer): 1981-1988
-Kenritsu Umisora Kōkō Yakyū Buin Yamashita Tarō-kun (baseball): 1987-1990
-Ace! (baseball): 1990-1991
-Slam Dunk (basketball): 1990-1996
-Captain Tsubasa World Youth (soccer): 1994-1997 (Wrestling with Momoko ended a week later so it shouldn't really be part)
-Nothing: Issue 40, 1997-Issue 9, 1998
-Rookies (baseball): 1998-2003
-Eyeshield 21 (American football): 2002-2009
-Kuroko no Basket (basketball): 2009

Yeah...just that one short period in '97-'98 is the only time without one sports manga in Jump.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I was looking at a few chapters of Double Arts and on chapter 13 it had a page color that said "Thanks for the popularity" yet it was cancelled 10 chapters later. I heard it polled well and sold well so why did it end? It seems like an uphill battle for any new mangaka in Jump to become successful. I mean, what more can you expect from a series that polls well and sells well? I never read the series but it makes me not want to get my hopes up about any new manga in Jump...
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

As Kaiten and I have said, DA polled well early then drop to the bottom for quite a while. Any series that drop and sold below the hundred mark is an easy candidate for cancellation.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Oh I did not know that it dropped. But in chapter 13 it said "highly popular." How could a series drop that much in less than 10 chapters? And how much below the hundred mark did it sell?
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It's third volume sold 38,106 copies and then drop out of the top 30. I don't remember the exact ranking, but it was around the bottom. Those "highly popular" mark are hardly any indicative for popularity, Akaboshi has such written on the 7th chapter and now it's on the bottom.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It's third volume sold 38,106 copies and then drop out of the top 30. I don't remember the exact ranking, but it was around the bottom. Those "highly popular" mark are hardly any indicative for popularity, Akaboshi has such written on the 7th chapter and now it's on the bottom.
The third volume came out after cancellation, not much could be expected of it. DA polled either last or near for about two months.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So then basically it deserved to die? Because I know it's cancellation was painful for a lot of people, but if it was not doing well, why were people so suprised and upset?
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

DA is one of those series that's very popular in the internet and Edited Manga circle but not that popular in Japan. I like it and think it should have been continued but that's just personal opinion.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I definitely like it. From what I heard it took a beating on 2CH >.< DA did get pretty aimless. Hopefully Komi returns by December.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I am surprised Komi didn't return yet. DA really should've caught on...
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How long (on average) do mangaka take off between series? I know it varies but I was thinking maybe about 1-2 years.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Honestly, that one arc with Heinel was freaking terrible. Had they skipped that, and maybe made the Knights who were hyped throughout the manga into something other then fodder, maybe the manga would have made it.

But the idea was there, but Komi executed it poorly. Sucks because the main characters were all brilliant. I don't think I would ever get tired of Fallen and Sui.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

How long (on average) do mangaka take off between series? I know it varies but I was thinking maybe about 1-2 years.
That's about right. It always seems a little closer to two years though.
 

Lingwe

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
106
Reaction score
106
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I like the new design for the Kagijin character. That cloth head thing thathe had in the one shot didn't look too good and he was too scowly, this way he looks a bit better I think.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Have looked through Kagijin oneshot. Compared to the new cover it looks quite decent, yet in comparison with other mainsnstream battle genre - pretty bland.

Considering HxH n DGM are absent ATM, before the next cut of existing series n I think u are rite.
If WSJ intends to keep around 20 series, HxH might be back after WSJ's next cut n DGM might leave WSJ as well. (Im not a WSJ expert so don't trust me)
Thanks.
Yes, I haven't forgotten about those two. I was just wondering if I got the number of newcomers right :)

I definitely like it. From what I heard it took a beating on 2CH >.< DA did get pretty aimless. Hopefully Komi returns by December.
I am surprised Komi didn't return yet. DA really should've caught on...
Yeah, Komi Naoshi must have left a good impression, especially on the editorial department. Though, there weren't any oneshots from him lately.
Still, why can't we hope to see him appering soon enough? :amuse


But the idea was there, but Komi executed it poorly. Sucks because the main characters were all brilliant. I don't think I would ever get tired of Fallen and Sui.
If you are saying that story was executed poorly for a shounen, I could slightly agree. But saying it was poorly executed overall is a mistake. As an independent story Double Arts were quite fresh, consequent and well-developed story and character wise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top