Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I just found out that Psyren's volume 7's cover can connect to Psyren's volume 6's cover.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

After looking at them again, I like most of the covers really. The only one I don't care for at all is Bleach's. But that is hardly a surprise.

Nice to hear Bakuman and Toriko got licensed. Bakuman has the Ohba/Obata tag so it was a matter of "when?" for it. I'm actually surprised on Toriko though. This is way earlier than expected but I hope it manages to take off over here.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Now, if only they would hurry up and get Mago........though that one would probably be a graphic novel release only.
U.S. Shonen Jump serializes every licensed series in the magazine for a limited amount of time. Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, and Yu - Gi - Oh! All other series rotate out as new series move in.

So, so glad Toriko and Bakuman were licensed so quickly. Both deserve to be. Hopefully Mago, Psyren, and Neuro will follow.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

U.S. Shonen Jump serializes every licensed series in the magazine for a limited amount of time. Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, and Yu - Gi - Oh! All other series rotate out as new series move in.

So, so glad Toriko and Bakuman were licensed so quickly. Both deserve to be. Hopefully Mago, Psyren, and Neuro will follow.
What I meant was, they will probably just run the first chapter as a preview like they do for most of their manga titles. Then release it in graphic novel form every two or three months.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I see what your saying. Mago will probably get more then that; Tegami Bachi has had three chapters so far, all of volume 1 and the first chapter of volume 2.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm not very optimistic about Neuro at this point, but Psyren and Mago seem like very good bets.

I could see Psyren in particular getting a lot of promotion down the road.
 

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I remember Slam Dunk got a few chapters in Viz's shonen Jump.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It was but I forget how many chapters. It was replaced by Tegami Bachi which will most likely be replaced, along with Waq Waq, by Bakuman and Toriko.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The only series that I'm surprised still hasn't been brought over yet it To-Love. It has a significant fanbase, Yabuki is well known (and Black Cat did sell) and ecchi does sell...the only problem is sometimes it gets a bit too ecchi which could be a negative.

But somehow with Toriko and Bakuman, it could be a good sign for the future of Jump...but the sign being that it is more interested in finding "the next big thing" than really going back into and finding some older, interesting series to show off. (since most really don't sell unless the base is established...and even then it could get screwed up like Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman Nisei...or JoJo...or Bo-bobo)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I still think ToRa will come over. Rosari, also ecchi is now one of the biggest U.S. series, Black Cat remains a major title (as you said), and a strong online fanbase. I think they'll wait until Black Cat ends or maybe a little before.

JoJo's and St. Seiya screwed things up for the old school series. The terrible quality of the U.S. editions damned both to low sales, scaring VIZ off. Unless Inoue or Fujisaki are involved.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

If Psyren ever gets licensed over here, I will sign up to the magazine, and I'll re-buy the volumes in English.

That's how good it is.
 
Last edited:

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I thought Waq Waq just had a one-chapter preview. And they'd BETTER not stop seralizing Tegami Bachi. That's one reason I'm still buying the magazine.

YYH is nearing the end of its run, though, so maybe one of the series will replace that.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I still think ToRa will come over. Rosari, also ecchi is now one of the biggest U.S. series, Black Cat remains a major title (as you said), and a strong online fanbase. I think they'll wait until Black Cat ends or maybe a little before.

JoJo's and St. Seiya screwed things up for the old school series. The terrible quality of the U.S. editions damned both to low sales, scaring VIZ off. Unless Inoue or Fujisaki are involved.
I think at this point Viz should maybe think about giving an approach more like how Vertical handles older series if they want to try and maybe improve or increase or get interest in something that isn't just out there the last couple years. Slam Dunk is a good start but let's face it: Inoue is one of the biggest names in Jump and they put a ton to make sure that it would be well known and out there before switching to it's bi-monthly format. JoJo was screwed up in being done the "Bo-bobo" format (yes, Jotaro's story is important and the most well known but the series really should have had those first two parts and reached out to the JoJo community at large and fans of series influenced by it) and St. Seiya (which was both a combination of age and DiC not knowing what they were doing in trying to release and "improve" a 20 year old anime destroying it).
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I found interesting information in 2ch.

●1999年
43号 NARUTO(456話*)
44号 Romancers(19話)
●2000年
47号 純情パイン(13話)
48号 りりむキッス(24話)
49号 バカバカしいの!(12話)
●2001年
42号 I'm A Faker!(11話)
43号 グラン・バガン(11話)
●2002年
44号 A・O・N(10話)
45号 Ultra red(34話)
●2003年
41号 戦国乱破伝サソリ(12話)
42号 サラブレッドと呼ばないで(13話)
43号 神撫手(13話)
●2004年
40号 waqwaq(34話)
●2005年
44号 べしゃり暮らし(28話→移籍)
45号 大泥棒ポルタ(15話)
●2006年
43号 P2!(58話)
44号 HAND'S(10話)
●2007年
44号 初恋限定(32話)
●2008年
42号 チャゲチャ(8話)
43号 アスクレピオス(19話)
●1999
Issue 43: Naruto (456 chapters~ongoing)
Issue 44: Romancers (19 chapters)
●2000
Issue 47: Junjyou Pain (13 chapters)
Issue 48: Lilim Kiss (24 chapters)
Issue 49: Bakabaka Shiino (12 chapters)
●2001
Issue 42: I'm a Faker! (11 chapters)
Issue 43: Gran・Bagan (11 chapters)
●2002
Issue 44: A・O・N (10 chapters)
Issue 45: Ultra red (34 chapters)
●2003
Issue 41: Sengoku Lappaden Sasori (12 chapters)
Issue 42: Salabreddo to Yobanaide (13 chapters)
Issue 43: Kannade (13 chapters)
●2004
Issue 40: waqwaq (34 chapters)
●2005
Issue 44: Beshari Gurashi (28 chapters~moved & ongoing)
Issue 45: Oodorobou Polta (15 chapters)
●2006
Issue 43: P2! (58 chapters)
Issue 44: HAND'S (10 chapters)
●2007
Issue 44: Hatsukoi Limited (32 chapters)
●2008
Issue 42: Chagecha (8 chapters)
Issue 43: Asklepios (19 chapters)

In past ten years, almost all of the new series in fall didn't do very well. The longest one in fall series (except Naruto and Beshari Gurashi) is P2!, which lasted about one year. I wonder fall series in this year going to be another failure again, or have a successful series. I mostly want to be failed because current ongoing series are really good, and I don't want to see any of them to be axed. So, I really don't mind if new fall series going to a pillow for current series.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

coinanmat

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
10
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So if this is a trend, then some of the new Series that just started in WSJ might not last long.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So if this is a trend, then some of the new Series that just started in WSJ might not last long.
But it's not fall yet. Wait until after Bon before we see what happens with whatever comes out then.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So if this is a trend, then some of the new Series that just started in WSJ might not last long.
Actually, the series that just started are not a fall series. Usually fall series started about after issue 40, so we might get news about another new series line-up after the Golden Future Cup.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

That is actually a pretty interesting trend. Depending on what series come next, they may not live beyond the first cut. >.>

The only series that I'm surprised still hasn't been brought over yet it To-Love. It has a significant fanbase, Yabuki is well known (and Black Cat did sell) and ecchi does sell...the only problem is sometimes it gets a bit too ecchi which could be a negative.

But somehow with Toriko and Bakuman, it could be a good sign for the future of Jump...but the sign being that it is more interested in finding "the next big thing" than really going back into and finding some older, interesting series to show off. (since most really don't sell unless the base is established...and even then it could get screwed up like Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman Nisei...or JoJo...or Bo-bobo)
What happened with Kinnikuman Nisei? Other than the lack of promotion compared to other Jump titles I mean?
 

coinanmat

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
10
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't see Viz getting To-Love because I think its a bit to suggestive even if it was a SJA (Shonen Jump Advanced) title. Viz does seem to have a code of ethics for the content of the manga it publishes. I noticed in To Love there are numerous scenes with Girls touching each other in explicit ways. I could be wrong though. I am glad that they did get Toriko and Bakuman because this is significant for Jump because those series are still running in the Japanese version of Jump. In the past Viz got hand-me-downs so to say because the series they ran in SJ already ended in WSJ. I have to say the English Jump magazine has come a long way since it started in 2003. I remember buying the magazine when the Dragon Ball manga was in it then I stopped when they took it out. I only started buying the magazine again because I started taking a liking to Bleach and Naruto.

In the case of the Japanese magazine, I think its difficult for new manga series to survive not only in the Fall but any time of the year is because they have to compete against Shonen Jump allstars like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc. that of course are hugely popular. Especially Naruto because it seems both Shonen Jump magazines love it do death JK
 
Last edited:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think it was obvious that Bakuman and Toriko would be serialized in the US. They're both really popular and sell very well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top