All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafです

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
13
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

*back from somewhere else* >.>
Awesome!:D I still have time to get a submission in for the SOTW after actually deciding to do it.
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Congratulations to dHEKU for winning the car SOTW contest!!! :confetti

Just a reminder that you still have another week to enter the current one on monsters that ends on Halloween! It seems like we will at least get one more participant in it. Thanks, leafです! :hug (It's nice to have you back from somewhere else. ;))
 

Akasunanosasori

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
451
Reaction score
53
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

leafです i saw u on fringe efx i guess !
and congratz dHEKU.
 

leafです

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
13
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I wasn't there, Akasunanosasori.:darn

I have a suggestion for the voting. I think we should post why we think "this" sig is the best that way we know who we are actually voting for. I haven't seen a lot constructive criticism around here too and I want some so we can all improve.:p
 

dHEKU

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
66
Reaction score
18
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Congratulations to dHEKU for winning the car SOTW contest!!! :confetti

Just a reminder that you still have another week to enter the current one on monsters that ends on Halloween!

hehe thankx \o\
Yes, I will participate in the contest of Halloween, but I'm out of time lately. :facepalm

Wow, the competition of the banners has many talented! I will not participate, because I voted, and I want this banner, be the winner!
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I have a suggestion for the voting. I think we should post why we think "this" sig is the best that way we know who we are actually voting for. I haven't seen a lot constructive criticism around here too and I want some so we can all improve.:p
Well, you can post why you vote for a signature and offer constructive criticism. You just need to do it in this thread. The more commentary, the better, I think.

Also, if you want opinions on any of your signature submissions, don't hesitate to ask. The people here are surely more than likely to offer a friendly opinion whenever you want one. ;)
 

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

@leaf

The comments can be posted here. We just don't want the two functioning threads to get clogged up with comments and entries. That way it would be hard to see where the sigs are.

Plus, to give the sigs a more neutral feel, comments are disabled because people might become biased if they only read the first comment (that says 1st sig is the best) and ignore the rest (which might say that 4th is the best).

But like Tsuki said, feel free to throw out comments here. =D
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I made a sig, wohooo! :p ...But I almost forgot to submit. xD

Anyways, it's nothing special, but I hope someone likes it. ^^
 

leafです

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
13
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I only want one the threads to be clogged up.:p That thread happens to be the voting thread itself. Some ideas to decrease the clutter are to only post or comment once in the thread and disable your signatures while posting. Also try to keep on topic.

Well, this is all I have to back up my opinion. >.>
 

Sasori

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Messages
284
Reaction score
268
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I've just submitted my new signature, no ecchi this time... I'm sorry :P

And congratulations dHEKU for winning the last contest !!!
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

OMG!!! Three signature submissions in one day! :spaz: They all look great.

Two are definite blasts from my past and use subjects I hadn't even considered when creating the topic (I love when that happens :D).

Hound, the Cookie Monster signature is awesome! Awesome! :wtf I definitely would not have thought of Cookie Monster. What inspired your choice? Were you recently watching Sesame Street or eating a bunch of cookies? :hbunny

The other one is leaf desu's signature using a Pokémon. That's Zangoose from the third generation, right? I'm guessing you're a Pokémon fan, but out of curiosity, why did you select Zangoose as your muse for the signature? Is it your favorite? :?bunny
I know that you wanted some commentary on your technique; so, I'll start you off with some and maybe others can chip in too. :tem I like how you add perspective, as though this image was taken by a camera, by blurring certain portions of the image to simulate camera focus. I think that works out very well on the left half of the picture, but on the right half, the blur becomes a bit distracting as I can't tell whether that white blur at the righmost edge of the picture is supposed to be clouds or some sort of effect from Zangoose's attack. Also, for some reason, the shading on Zangoose's extended arm seems a bit off to me. From the angle, it seems like there should be more shade (the shadow from its head) on the arm. Overall though, I think it is a wonderful submission. :lovebunny
Perhaps you might want to offer a brief statement of your method and direction when creating the piece. That way, you will be able to receive better critique. :tem

By the way, Hound, I really liked the technique in your submission as well. The colors are very vivid, and the background contrasts nicely to make Cookie Monster stand out. The smoky aura helps to add depth to the image and sets a Halloween tone to this theme. :thumbs

Finally, Sasori-san's submission. It looks very creepy and spooky. (I get a definite Children of the Corn vibe from that image.) I am glad you made a comment here stating that this signature wasn't supposed to be interpreted as ecchi, because that would have made this signature creepy for totally different reasons. :amuse

The image is very nicely done. Are those girls from a particular anime, or are they just generic girls? For some reason, they look like I've seen them in some anime series, but I can't seem to place my finger on it. I like the slight tinge of purple in the background, making it seem like the dawn of some phantasmogoric, spectral... ghosty thing. :p With the city lights in the background, it sort of makes a statement IMO on how we, as a society, are becoming increasingly enslaved to modern technology and increasingly unnatural ourselves. Were you also going for something like that, or am I just being too deep? :sweatdrop By the way, what is that figure on the left? Is that a scarecrow?

I only want one the threads to be clogged up.:p That thread happens to be the voting thread itself. Some ideas to decrease the clutter are to only post or comment once in the thread and disable your signatures while posting. Also try to keep on topic.

Well, this is all I have to back up my opinion. >.>
Umm... I still don't understand why expressing your comments is insufficient. Comments on the signatures is the purpose of this thread. So, there shouldn't be any need to make comments on them in the voting or submission threads.

Perhaps if you explained why you found this thread to be insufficient for whatever purpose you had in mind, we might better understand your reason for suggesting the change.
 

TeAm#7FoReVer

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
327
Reaction score
336
Age
39
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mexico
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Finally, three fantastic signatures posted. I was feeling alone in this submission and kind of sad, maybe on the next one I will post my signature until the second week.

More signatures = more fun.
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Finally, three fantastic signatures posted. I was feeling alone in this submission and kind of sad, maybe on the next one I will post my signature until the second week.

More signatures = more fun.
No, I appreciate your early submissions. It gives me hope for the contest! :hug


Oh, I just realized that I gave rather lengthy comments on the signatures and did on yours. Please don't think that I like it any less, because I also found yours really well-done also. Great contrast and color choice. You made Naruto look really demonic and zombie-ish; definitely one of the scariest depictions of Kyuubi Naruto I've seen before! :whoabunny
 
Last edited:

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

omg lol i was gonna do a cookie monster sig :darn guess i will try to come up with something else...

all the sigs look really great btw
 

Sasori

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Messages
284
Reaction score
268
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Finally, Sasori-san's submission. It looks very creepy and spooky. (I get a definite Children of the Corn vibe from that image.) I am glad you made a comment here stating that this signature wasn't supposed to be interpreted as ecchi, because that would have made this signature creepy for totally different reasons. :amuse

The image is very nicely done. Are those girls from a particular anime, or are they just generic girls? For some reason, they look like I've seen them in some anime series, but I can't seem to place my finger on it. I like the slight tinge of purple in the background, making it seem like the dawn of some phantasmogoric, spectral... ghosty thing. :p With the city lights in the background, it sort of makes a statement IMO on how we, as a society, are becoming increasingly enslaved to modern technology and increasingly unnatural ourselves. Were you also going for something like that, or am I just being too deep? :sweatdrop By the way, what is that figure on the left? Is that a scarecrow?
Thank you Tsukisama-sama :D
No ecchi this time... I didn't found decent pics of Rosario to Vampire pg (an ecchi manga and anime, one of my favourite... full of sexy youkai girls LOL) so I decided to do my sig scary and creepy, giving honor to Halloween.
The girls in the image are from the anime "Maria-sama ga miteru" (I've seen only two episodes long time ago, so I didn't know who is the "scarecrow"... this yuri anime was not very funny for me) and in the background there aren't city lights, but bright eyes :)
I like the creepy and ghostly image, that's all :eyeroll
[+1 that you're a girl, you write - and think - so much LOL]
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Thank you Tsukisama-sama :D
No ecchi this time... I didn't found decent pics of Rosario to Vampire pg (an ecchi manga and anime, one of my favourite... full of sexy youkai girls LOL) so I decided to do my sig scary and creepy, giving honor to Halloween.
The girls in the image are from the anime "Maria-sama ga miteru" (I've seen only two episodes long time ago, so I didn't know who is the "scarecrow"... this yuri anime was not very funny for me) and in the background there aren't city lights, but bright eyes :)
I like the creepy and ghostly image, that's all :eyeroll
[+1 that you're a girl, you write - and think - so much LOL]
I see. I haven't seen that anime before, but the name sounds familiar. I have probably seen images from it posted in galleries before.

So, that thing on the left with the dangly arm thingies is a girl and not a scarecrow then? :?bunny I can picture the lights in the background as eyes, but that large shadow on the left can't really be from a girl, can it? :blink

Anyway, it is an awesomely creepy and ghostly image. :nod
[Boys could think and write too :p (which is surprising that you make such a statement, since you yourself are a boy :amuse)]
 

leafです

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
13
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I better savor these comments for now, because they will soon be lost the cluttered abyss in this thread. Memorizing the page number where it is not worth it.:p

My comments of the current sigs are...
TeAm#7FoReVer: Overall your sig is pretty good, but it needs more depth. You also could have done more with the background, but that would probably mess up the text. It expresses the theme pretty well. It sort of gives off that dark suspenseful atmosphere. Keep in mind about the depth next time.

Hound: Cookie Monster!? o.O The render is already disturbing by itself. D: Hm... stuff to work on... Well, the dialogue bubble sticks out a lot in the sig which isn't right unless your focal point is that dialogue bubble. The lighting for the two renders are different and should be the same unless you want to make one of them a focal point. Other than that, I think it is good.

Sasori: It looks like you are trying to emphasize the text more than the stock itself. I think doing that is good because of the stock you used. The white brushing in the front could blend more with the sig though. There could have been a little more depth too.

leaf: I cropped the bad parts out of my original sig.:p I definitely could use some work on the text.
Original:

Why do the sig forums so little active members compared to the rest of the site/ D:
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

Hound, the Cookie Monster signature is awesome! Awesome! :wtf I definitely would not have thought of Cookie Monster. What inspired your choice? Were you recently watching Sesame Street or eating a bunch of cookies? :hbunny
Thanks. :amuse Well, I usually eat cookies from time to time, but I wasn't really inspired. I just thought about the word 'monster' and the Cookie Monster popped out in my mind (I believe he used the cookie force on me xD).

By the way, Hound, I really liked the technique in your submission as well. The colors are very vivid, and the background contrasts nicely to make Cookie Monster stand out. The smoky aura helps to add depth to the image and sets a Halloween tone to this theme. :thumbs
... and that's exactly what I intended to do. :p

More signatures = more fun.
That's exactly why I usually join. :p Especially my first time. There were only two sigs before I joined and I really wanted to see how the contest goes. And, it's fun. Every time. :amuse

omg lol i was gonna do a cookie monster sig :darn guess i will try to come up with something else...
Sorry. xD But I'm glad we think the same way. "Great minds think alike." :p

Cookie Monster!? o.O The render is already disturbing by itself. D: Hm... stuff to work on... Well, the dialogue bubble sticks out a lot in the sig which isn't right unless your focal point is that dialogue bubble. The lighting for the two renders are different and should be the same unless you want to make one of them a focal point. Other than that, I think it is good.
You don't seem to be a big fan of the Cookie Monster... :D
Anyways, thanks. :amuse
And about the dialogue bubble, I wanted it to be that way. I wanted to make a funny Halloween sig. Because, what's Halloween without some fun? :p
 

Sasori

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Messages
284
Reaction score
268
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I see. I haven't seen that anime before, but the name sounds familiar. I have probably seen images from it posted in galleries before.

So, that thing on the left with the dangly arm thingies is a girl and not a scarecrow then? :?bunny I can picture the lights in the background as eyes, but that large shadow on the left can't really be from a girl, can it? :blink

@Tsukisama-sama :amuse,
on the left there is a monster with many and long arms, from the costume she wears, she seems to be a girl but I'm not sure... if you look here you can see better.
Anyway, it is an awesomely creepy and ghostly image. :nod
[Boys could think and write too :p (which is surprising that you make such a statement, since you yourself are a boy :amuse)]
I'm a puppet :p

Sasori: It looks like you are trying to emphasize the text more than the stock itself. I think doing that is good because of the stock you used. The white brushing in the front could blend more with the sig though. There could have been a little more depth too.
@leafです, thank you for your opinion, I appreciate ;)
You're right, I focused on the text because the stock was already full of details, I used only a star brush on the eyes of the two girl. The white brush in front... sincerely I used light because I prefer not to cover the sig. The problem is the space, is not very large :s [my ecchi-puppet-girls sometime don't fit in :darn ]
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2009

I see. Thank you for the link, Sasori! In that picture, I can clearly tell she is meant to be a girl, but she seems to be kind of a monster too. Perhaps the characters in this anime series transform into monsters or something. I'll try to remember to watch some episodes of the anime on Saturday (Halloween!!! :wtf) to see if I can find her and what she really is. :tem
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top