Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

When was the last time One Piece was first?
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Just read Neko Wappa oneshot, and what the heck.
is JUMP obsessed with let's-help-people manga?
first is Sket Dance, then its Medaka and Hokenshitsu, and now Neko Wappa too? whats up with all these volunteer themes?
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Great title: Shinseiki Idol Densetsu Kanata Seven Change Girochin no Masao-sensei could challenge Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo as the greatest name in Jump history.

Glad Mago and Bakuman are in the top 5 again, always good to see. Shame about Lilienthal, it's solid stuff.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Just read Neko Wappa oneshot, and what the heck.
is JUMP obsessed with helping-out manga?
first is Sket Dance, then its Medaka and Hokenshitsu, and now Neko Wappa too? whtas up with all these volunteer themes?
I agree that Sket Dance is helping-out manga, but I'm not sure about other two.

Right now, Medaka is going no where and I'm not sure Hokenshitsu is considered as helping-out manga. I think Gintama is also helping-out manga because Gintoki and others are working as Yorozuya, kind of like solving people's problem.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I agree that Sket Dance is helping-out manga, but I'm not sure about other two.

Right now, Medaka is going no where and I'm not sure Hokenshitsu is considered as helping-out manga. I think Gintama is also helping-out manga because Gintoki and others are working as Yorozuya, kind of like solving people's problem.
my reasonings:
Medaka's original premise was helping out with the "suggestion box". (i actually felt a deja-vu when I read Nekko Wappa showing those wish-plates.)
Hokenshitsu so far has been about helping out student's emotional problems, that usually result in those "diseases".
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

my reasonings:
Medaka's original premise was helping out with the "suggestion box". (i actually felt a deja-vu when I read Nekko Wappa showing those wish-plates.)
Hokenshitsu so far has been about helping out student's emotional problems, that usually result in those "diseases".
Medaka's original premise was helping students' problem, but in last few weeks I'm kind of feeling Medaka lost its original premise.

I'm not going to comment on Hokenshitsu because it possibly changes in to battle manga. Hokenshitsu is in verge of bottom 5 now, and Akaboshi, one of perminent bottom 5 dweller, is gone, this might push Kokenshitsu down to bottom 5. So, it is possible that Kokenshitsu might turn into action, if it does not do good on the future.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I wouldn't exactly compare Medaka to Hokenshitsu. Medaka had battles in its one shot and 1st chapter so it was never purely one genre to begin with. Even after you go through its other chapters. Plus, I personally think the current arc was always planned but for later down the line. Recent circumstances probably sped it up.

Did Hokenshitsu have any battle elements in its chapters so far? *Question for those who have looked at the Raws*

Sket spent a lot of time in the bottom 5 but still stuck to its original idea so not every series that drops to the basement will automatically shift into battle manga territory.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Sket spent a lot of time in the bottom 5 but still stuck to its original idea so not every series that drops to the basement will automatically shift into battle manga territory.
I think if the series has something supernatural or beyond reality from the first place, it can shift into battle manga.

Sket Dance didn't have any unnatural thing from the beginning, so it can't shift to battle manga. And I think Sket Dance's survival on its early rankings were lucky because there was series that did worse than Sket Dance.




I found advetisement about Gintama's movie adaptation.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Did Hokenshitsu have any battle elements in its chapters so far? *Question for those who have looked at the Raws*
not really. its getting less and less action in the recent chapters. it could switch to battle if it wanted, but so far the "battle" scenes are being reduced to a bare minimum.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm curious about something: what current WSJ series is everyone reading? List please :tem

Here's mine:

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. Bakuman.
5. Mago
6. Beelzebub
7. Toriko
8. Psyren
9. Ane Doki
10. Medaka Box

^ That's not in any order. Probably the fewest series I've read from this magazine since I was a manga noob. Shonen isn't my primary fandom so I'm hardly surprised but, I'm a little surprised. I did not like Akaboshi so my list doesn't change with it ending. I will at least read Asou's new series if it's translated. Maybe Neko.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

well,here is my list if anyone is interested:XD

1.Naruto
2.One Piece
3.Bleach
4.Beelzebub
5.Medaka Box
6.Ane Doki
7.Bakuman

that would be it i guess^^
 

Siberia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
703
Reaction score
827
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

1. One piece
2. Beelzebub
3. Toriko
4. Akaboshi
5. Gintama
6. Bakuman
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

1. One Piece
2. Medaka Box
3. Reborn
4. Toriko
5. Nurarihyon no Mago
6. Beelzebub
7. Ane Doki
8. Bakuman
9. Psyren
10. Sket Dance (Whenever someone starts translating it again)
11. Kuroko(Same as Sket Dance)
12. Naruto
13. Bleach
14. Kagijin
15. Akaboshi (Just ending)

Looks like most of the magazine besides the gag manga, Lilienthal and Hokenshitsu which haven't been picked up by any groups, and Gintama which I plan to start in the near future. I've been saying this all year.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

That's kinda off topic...maybe that post should be moved (together with this post of mine) to an appropriate thread in the Naruto section. :sweat

Mr.Prince said:
Mina no Sho - 690 Yen - Scheduled release date: 4th December
In-depth info, secret illustration - a newly written manga - 10 big special challenges novel manga
Kishimoto-sensei question corner - Collab illustrations and many many more

There are still hidden secrets!!
All reported in detail in next week's Weekly Jump!
It's no continuous text but rather catchwords. As stated in that spoiler it'll follow all in detail some point later... : )
Moderator Notice:
Moved, thanks.~ Kaiten.Sama



I'm curious about something: what current WSJ series is everyone reading? List please :tem
Great impulse! Could be really interesting^^
I've also reached some "drought period" and follow not that many series anymore...following list is kinda sorted by popularity/need of "wanna read new chapter~~"

01. One Piece
02. PTF! Jaguar [whenever raws show up or I can afford buying the magazine]
03. Bakuman
04. Toriko
05. Gintama
06. Mago
07. Lilienthal
08. Beelzebub
09. Ane-doki
10. Naruto
11. Bleach
12. KHReborn!

On hold/fell behind: Psyren, Sket Dance
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Great impulse! Could be really interesting^^
I've also reached some "drought period" and follow not that many series anymore...

One Piece, Bakuman, Toriko, PTF! Jaguar [whenever raws show up or I can afford buying the magazine], Gintama, Mago, Lilienthal, Beelzebub, Ane-doki, Naruto, Bleach, KHReborn!

On hold/fell behind: Psyren, Sket Dance
I've had trouble getting into the 2009 series. Medaka and Ane are serviceable, beelze is great. A lot of my older series ended or I dropped them. I guess that accounts for my light reading list.

I forgot to add Gintama to my list even though I've been reading it for three years now >.<

so, 11. Gintama
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

1.One Piece
2.Bleach
3.Reborn
4.Sket Dance
5.Psyren
6.Nurarihyon
7.Toriko
8.Bakuman
9.Kuroko
10.Beelzebub
11.Medaka
12.Akaboshi
13.Ane Dokii
14.Kagijin
15.Hokenshitsu
16.Rilienthal

I used to read Naruto and Gintama, too, but I'm currently little bit tired of it, so I'm not currently reading them. Also, I'm not reading gag mangas because well no one is uploading it.
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

One Piece, Naruto, Reborn!, Bleach, Psyren, Bakuman, Beelzebub, Akaboshi, Kuroko

On Hold: Gintama, Jaguar, Sket, Toriko, Medaka, Ane Doki, Medaka
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

my list:
- One Piece
- Naruto
- Bleach
- Bakuman
- Nurarihyon no Mago
- Rilienthal
- Hokenshitsu
- Medaka Box
- Kagijin
- Akaboshi (adios akaboshi. i really liked the last 2 flash-back chaps)
- Ane Doki
- Reborn!
- Psyren
- Beelzebub (didn't read first couple chapters, but reading latest ones)
- Kuroko
thats about it. i think i'm reading everything except Sket, Gintama and gag mangas.
i've read vol 1~4 of Toriko, and i'll catch up to it eventually.

and i'll probably try Neko Wappa too.
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

hm...since all the cool kids are doing it

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. Reborn
5. Sket Dance
6. Medaka Box
7. Rilienthal (anyone wondering, I'm picking it up as a project so releases should be out soon)
8. Bakuman
9. Beezlebub
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top