Seinen Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
[td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td]
Volume 1
[sizept=7]Released 1/23/2008[/sizept]
Volume 2
[sizept=7]Released 7/23/2008[/sizept]
Volume 3
[sizept=7]Released 3/23/2009[/sizept]
Volume 4
[sizept=7]Released 10/23/2009[/sizept]
Volume 5
[sizept=7]Released 5/24/2010[/sizept]
Volume 6
[sizept=7]Released 12/24/2010[/sizept]
Volume 6 Reverse
Saint Young Men
By: Nakamura Hikaru
Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
Serialized: Morning 2
Mangaupdates

What if Jesus and Buddha were living on Earth in modern times? What if they shared an apartment in Japan? Saint Young Men is a humorous manga about the daily lives of Jesus and Buddha, with each chapter focusing on some element of modern life, such as Disneyland, rush hour on the train, Christmas, the public pool, carnivals, and more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Sweet a thread. I would have started it a long time ago but figured it already had one but didn't feel like looking...:\

But I lol'd had when I read chapter 9 about Christmas. Buddha asks Jesus if knows what the meaning of Christmas is and he replies its about Santa and his reindeer! :rofl

So glad this has started getting picked back up again. Hope it stays that way.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
i laughed so hard. This manga is so funny! :D
I already said this in another thread... but this is not everybody's cup of tea. You need to be very open minded to be able to laugh at the jokes, otherwise you'll get very offended.
 

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I don't get it. What's so funny about it? :/
 

¬Bol

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
357
Reaction score
104
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Probably the funniest thing I've ever read/watched.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I don't get it. What's so funny about it? :/
Its one of those manga that you either think is funny or you don't. Just the idea of the manga is hilarious to me.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
oh i want to ask whether Saint Young Men is published weekly or monthly.
How many chapters are there in Japan right now?
... If Saint Young Men is published in some religious country, it might get banned... >__>
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
It's a monthly series. SYM #33 is at raw-parapise right now. Every volume is a mega seller.
I doubt this manga will ever see the light of day in Italy. xD Everywhere else I hope no bans pop up, it needs to come to U.S.
All the Jesus jokes I understand but the Buddha and monks ones are tough for me. Last time I learned about Buddhism was in 7th grade. It doesn't matter that much to me but I wish I had Buddha's earlobes. I want to talk about all the gags in here but I can't rabble every thought I have all at once.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ I guess we can discuss the jokes here?
I happen to learnt Asian Art History in school sometime ago. Most of the topic covers Buddha, that's why i understand some of the Buddha jokes (although not all). xD

This page made me laugh VERY HARD. :D:D:D:D
http://www.onemanga.com/Saint_Young_Men/1/03/
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/assets/images/death-of-historical-buddha-painting-by-myouson.jpg
simply because it refers to the Mahaparinirvana (i hope i spell it right), aka the death of Buddha. It's a famous pose that occurs frequently in Buddhist art. Eh maybe you know about it already.

Anyway this manga does give me a good impression because of that first page. Not all manga draws an epic laugh from the reader on the FIRST page :D

http://www.onemanga.com/Saint_Young_Men/5/16/
^ this refers to the story in which a rabbit (i am not sure which animal) throws himself to the fire to feed Buddha. That story is a famous example of self-sacrifice.
If you remember, there's a turkey who tried to do the same during the christmast story as well (lol)

Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha" that is referered multiple times in SYM is a real manga. I totally recommend it!!! It is such a masterpiece!!!! Buddha is legally published in English.

i can't wait for the next scan. Any idea when it'll comes out? (not that i am being pushy towards the Manga Editors =D ) 20 pages a month seems so little...
 
Last edited:

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
This manga is really, really cool. The mangaka has balls too, a lot of people won't even take on consideration using 2 of the most influential religion icons as main protagonists.

Anyways, SYM = awesome.
 

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
This manga is really, really cool. The mangaka has balls too, a lot of people won't even take on consideration using 2 of the most influential religion icons as main protagonists.
South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy, the manga Palepoli too I think :/
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
In Rainier's defense, he said those two are the main protagonists and you listed shows and a manga in which he doesn't have a recurring role in every single episode/chapter.

Jesus appears in Billy Bat too but isn't a main character.

Others favorite moments have to be Jesus afraid of swimming. It explains everything from baptism to walking on water. :rofl I want to read Jesus's blog so badly, and that one time a member asked him "Are you Jesus?" and another member was named Judas, he was still suspicious after all this time. :lmao
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
^Yep, thanks!

Btw, check this page out!
http://www.onemanga.com/Saint_Young_Men/5/13/

Reference of another manga = Pure awesomeness. Or my I say Divine Awesomeness xD?

Also, every page that contains an animal is just plain hilarious. I'm re-reading the scanlated chapters and I just can't stop laughing. ROFLMAO.
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I laughed out loud at that part ^ And Divine Awesomeness would be the proper term to use here :XD
 

¬Bol

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
357
Reaction score
104
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I doubt this manga will ever see the light of day in Italy. xD
A sad truth.
To be published here we need the Clergy not to know it. If someone publish it and they find it out, then they'll start saying jap comics are evil. Seriously, once they said on the news Yu-Gi-Oh brings children to Satanism, so I don't wanna imagine what they might say about a comic with jokes about Jesus.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
^Yep, thanks!

Btw, check this page out!
http://www.onemanga.com/Saint_Young_Men/5/13/

Reference of another manga = Pure awesomeness. Or my I say Divine Awesomeness xD?

Also, every page that contains an animal is just plain hilarious. I'm re-reading the scanlated chapters and I just can't stop laughing. ROFLMAO.
Yeah,haha,the Death Note-refference was great!!:D

I'm really enjoying this manga,awesome idea and awesome execution!^^
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: [Featured] Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

Well, to me that joke wasn't very funny, not sure if there was something lost in translation.

So we all know the phrase Only God Knows", so Jesus added to this with "God's Miso Soup".
For example a normal saying would be "Only God knows why people do stupid crap."

So Jesus was saying this secret recipe that God made himself is the only one that knows how to cook it. But of course he would know how to make it since he is God, the being who knows everything.

Rough explanation and I could be completely wrong, I may edit this post if I can figure it out better. xD
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: [Featured] Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

If that was to be the actual joke i would like it.^^
Oh Jesus,that was a good one.
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: [Featured] Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

I just love the Animals, it's just...WIN.
 
Top