Football 2010 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
But i liked that the US did not give up and fought until the end.It even payed out.

Your first football match Charlie?Or your first WC match?Or your first WC match this year?^^
 

Diadz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
21
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Im really hoping my team will win without having a single goal get past the keeper :) we'll be the only ones this WC that have done that :)
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,763
Reaction score
26,119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I cant be a hundred percent sure Googlez, I have watched the womans game before.

I think this was my first WC, again not a hundred percent sure.

Soccer is not of the sports I watch, so a lack of memory is prune.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I see.Well,now the boring part is over,the good games will be coming in the next days.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Yes, now comes the best part... Knock out, I'd rather call it the live or die phase

England vs Germany -> looking forward to that one a lot
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,763
Reaction score
26,119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
England versus Germany sounds pretty exciting to me.

Who are the favorites?
 

sindergi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
684
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
England vs Germany is a classic match - im looking forward for it. I think there is no real favorite in this game......but one thing is for sure, if this game will be decided in a penalty shootout then germany will win :D
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Charlie...

"Football is a simple game – 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and in the end Germany wins."

Famous quote by an retired English player ;D


Moderator Notice:
:notrust ^_^~ Charlie-San
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the World Cup, England! Finally a good game from you :XD
USA deserved to go through, i'm glad for them. And we could've an awesome Germany x England on the 8s

My bets would be Brasil, England or Netherlands, but if i had to pick only one, it'd be Netherlands
So true. :XD

I knew Defoe would score; England really need to give this guy a chance to prove himself. I much prefer the Rooney x Defoe partnership. I feel that Heskey is much better as a sub. Rooney definitely needs to improve in the game. Excellent performance and service from Milner! A completely different player from the first game. He still makes a few mistakes and at times his passing is it bit off and sloppy but nevertheless he was awesome today.

USA x Ghana! I wasn't expecting that match up. I had a feeling that Germany would face England at some point in this WC though. :D

Argh dammit. England vs Germany. Thats our world cup over...:(
England are screwed for now. Capello might do it though!

I can't wait for the Mexico x Argentina game!!! :nuts
 

Harlett

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
257
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I can't wait for the Mexico x Argentina game!!! :nuts
As possible, from heaven to hell, man!
First a tie, a win and then ... defeat. Actually the last game with Uruguay took by surprise the whole country so the atmosphere that you feel about the next Sunday is a bit depressing, really :notrust
Well, of course there was a clear probability that Mexico will play against Argentina but what hurt was that the team played in that way and have moved into the next round in a pitiful way.

Well, if you're going to leave the World Cup is that you have fallen against a great team showing a good level of play and have done almost anything to win is forgiven, but if they play against Uruguay... well ... :notrust
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
As possible, from heaven to hell, man!
First a tie, a win and then ... defeat. Actually the last game with Uruguay took by surprise the whole country so the atmosphere that you feel about the next Sunday is a bit depressing, really :notrust
Well, of course there was a clear probability that Mexico will play against Argentina but what hurt was that the team played in that way and have moved into the next round in a pitiful way.

Well, if you're going to leave the World Cup is that you have fallen against a great team showing a good level of play and have done almost anything to win is forgiven, but if they play against Uruguay... well ... :notrust
I wanted Mexico to top Group A...but I guess the draw against SA cost you guys dearly. Mexico x South Korea would've been an interesting game. Aaaww. Don't worry, Harlett. :hug We'll just have to wait and see....you never know...

Come on Park Ji Sung! I don't want to see Uruguay progressing to the QF's.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I have to take my companions (Belgian referee/linesmen) into defence... I contrast to what we get - a replay with a line - these guys have to decide instantly. Even with the replay you can't say because the smallest tip of the finger can decide whether it's offside or not.

Btw, don't forget that your sports allow an a posteriori decision based on a replay. In football that doesn't exist; so that's football for you guys :)
...they were at least even, and the call was incorrect. Why are you making excuses? Yes, no replay is detrimental to whether calls are correct or not, and soccer doesn't have them (yet), and I liken it to something like calling balls and strikes in baseball, however...was the call incorrect or not? I rest my case.

"your sports"? Putting stereotypes aside, I'm a big sports fan, thus I take a bit of offense to you explaining how "my sports" are different due to the inclusion of replay. I played soccer as youngster and teen and I know the rules enough to know offsides is a judgment call, like many calls in sports...some are more obvious than others yes, but the judgment was still wrong.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I don't agree... People should stop calling very close calls right or wrong. You call them right or wrong based on a replay we get afterwards. I have never been a linesman or a referee but as a football player I always show respect towards them. I will only complain when it's so obvious they make a huge mistake but when it's a close call then I won't complain because I don't know it myself. I think Dempsey had that feeling too (if you look at how he reacts). He wasn't sure himself whether it was off side or not. I do agree that in such cases it's better to keep your flag down instead of raising it but blaming the linesman for such a close call in which he has to decide in seconds is a bit too off...

And I do hope they will never use replays, I support the FIFA and the UEFA in this. It's so charming to have these discussions :) yeah, you can have the feeling of being stolen but as a international teams and national teams football supporter I think most people will have had that feeling. It's not like everything will be ruled against USA or Germany or another country

btw, a reporter was talking about a German defender whose fair play is top. He said that he never got a red card, etc (was it Mertesacker?). Anyway, I wanted to say I am just like him, believe me or not and don't ask how I did it, but I have never had a yellow card either
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I don't agree... People should stop calling very close calls right or wrong. You call them right or wrong based on a replay we get afterwards. I have never been a linesman or a referee but as a football player I always show respect towards them. I will only complain when it's so obvious they make a huge mistake but when it's a close call then I won't complain because I don't know it myself. I think Dempsey had that feeling too (if you look at how he reacts). He wasn't sure himself whether it was off side or not. I do agree that in such cases it's better to keep your flag down instead of raising it but blaming the linesman for such a close call in which he has to decide in seconds is a bit too off...
I didn't say Dempsey acted disrespectful or anything. I never once said that in this particular instance the linesman should be blamed, because in the end the call was inconsequential, even with the goal difference, due to it being the third game in group play. Yes we get a slow-motion replay that the referees don't get, but my point remains the same...was the call incorrect or not? I feel it was.

My original comment was that I was glad we were eventually able to score at the end in stoppage time, because if the game ended in a 0-0 tie, knowing that the goal shouldn't have been disallowed I would have been extremely disappointed. Are you saying you wouldn't be if this happened to the Belgian team?

I am in no way comparing this disallowed goal to the one that occurred in the USA-Slovenia match...that was disgraceful IMO, but I'm over it because we ended up not needing the points to win the group (lucky).
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
England versus Germany sounds pretty exciting to me.

Who are the favorites?
Always difficult to say... In these kind of games a team that has played all the time good can lose against a team that has played all the time bad.

Based on what I have seen on the World Cup, I would say Germany but it could be perfectly possible that England will find its preliminaries form in the second round and if they do so, then it will be bye bye Germany for sure
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I was surprised when i watched the game yesterday.Ghana has shown more magic than Brazil and they nearly defeated Germany.I don't know why,but Germany always somehow manages to advance to the next round even though they weren't playing well...
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
My original comment was that I was glad we were eventually able to score at the end in stoppage time, because if the game ended in a 0-0 tie, knowing that the goal shouldn't have been disallowed I would have been extremely disappointed. Are you saying you wouldn't be if this happened to the Belgian team?

I am in no way comparing this disallowed goal to the one that occurred in the USA-Slovenia match...that was disgraceful IMO, but I'm over it because we ended up not needing the points to win the group (lucky).
Of course I would be disappointed, who wouldn't? Of course I would constantly refer to that important phase too, who wouldn't? That's the emotions that come along with every supporter who is rooting for his team.

I think that's the reason - the disallowed goal - why this goal has been too much enlarged. I can understand that from supporter's PoV but some - I don't say you - are talking about a conspiracy which is in my opinion for area 51 believers

And yeah, I am happy you managed to get in the second round because USA is truly the boomerang in my face. I never expected them as a candidate because they seemed so weak. But well, at least surprise in a positive way. USA is the team I didn't want to root for but because of their play I might root for them against Ghana because I have always likened the boomerangs of a championship. The quarter finals are likely if your defense is standing solid.


I was surprised when i watched the game yesterday.Ghana has shown more magic than Brazil and they nearly defeated Germany.I don't know why,but Germany always somehow manages to advance to the next round even though they weren't playing well...
That's Germany... They have always been known for their efficient play. A lot of teams would have started this match like Drugs addicted patients. But Germany? They started their game like they would take a long morning walk. So awesome to see how they play calm with the logics that a game takes 90 minutes. They pick their moment at the right time - that's German efficiency ;)
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Of course I would be disappointed, who wouldn't? Of course I would constantly refer to that important phase too, who wouldn't? That's the emotions that come along with every supporter who is rooting for his team.

I think that's the reason - the disallowed goal - why this goal has been too much enlarged. I can understand that from supporter's PoV but some - I don't say you - are talking about a conspiracy which is in my opinion for area 51 believers

And yeah, I am happy you managed to get in the second round because USA is truly the boomerang in my face. I never expected them as a candidate because they seemed so weak. But well, at least surprise in a positive way. USA is the team I didn't want to root for but because of their play I might root for them against Ghana because I have always likened the boomerangs of a championship. The quarter finals are likely if your defense is standing solid.
The conspiracy against the US? Well I haven't heard such things first hand but I'll just say that there are too many officials from all over the world for such a thing to be even remotely plausible. That and I think most US fans have a chip on their shoulder regarding the team, but I don't think it's related to any sense of nationalism. Americans are used to dominating in sports, just look at the Olympics, etc. So when the casual fan decides to give a crap about the WC because the team has been overhyped due to a large amount of players having international experience, etc...I can see people getting frustrated. But it's all silly in the end IMO.

The defense worries me to be honest. Onyewu was good against England, poor against Slovenia, and didn't even play against Algeria...so I have no clue whether he's healthy, out of shape, etc. Moving Bocanegra around is something we shouldn't do. DeMerit has played really well so far, so I think he's solid. I didn't agree with starting Gomez instead of Buddle against Algeria, and I think it was evident it was the wrong choice due to Buddle coming in right after half time.

Don't know how I feel about playing Ghana yet...
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The defense worries me to be honest. Onyewu was good against England, poor against Slovenia, and didn't even play against Algeria...so I have no clue whether he's healthy, out of shape, etc. Moving Bocanegra around is something we shouldn't do. DeMerit has played really well so far, so I think he's solid. I didn't agree with starting Gomez instead of Buddle against Algeria, and I think it was evident it was the wrong choice due to Buddle coming in right after half time.

Don't know how I feel about playing Ghana yet...
Onyewu is quite famous over here. He has played 3, 4 or 5 years in the Belgian competition. If I were the main coach, I'd select him in the 11 against Ghana. Onyewu can play bad sometimes but he has the art to play like a king in very important games.

Ghana, there is one golden rule against African teams: make sure you are the team that makes the lead and then those teams begin to play silly and illogical. They'll make mistakes ^^ I am going to root for USA
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Onyewu is quite famous over here. He has played 3, 4 or 5 years in the Belgian competition. If I were the main coach, I'd select him in the 11 against Ghana. Onyewu can play bad sometimes but he has the art to play like a king in very important games.

Ghana, there is one golden rule against African teams: make sure you are the team that makes the lead and then those teams begin to play silly and illogical. They'll make mistakes ^^ I am going to root for USA
Yeah, I knew he played for Standard Liege, but he now plays for AC Milan iirc. I'm just confused as to why he didn't play against Algeria since I haven't heard any injury news. I know he had a knee injury back in a qualifying match in October, and he didn't play well against Slovenia, but I don't know why he wouldn't have played at all against Algeria if he wasn't hurt...:(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top