Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

The only thing that kind of makes me worry is that I can't see where this manga will go once they get out of the school. It's really good, and the author clearly put tons of though into it, but still...
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

The premise was probably created as a failsafe. If the manga were to be canceled, it can very easily be brought to an end with the completion of the e-test. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the author has something in mind for after the e-test.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

I agree with [Cross]. There could be more rounds coming after this one, for example. Like with Liar Game, having round after round with the main characters aiming to bring down the people behind the game, the following arcs could be more rounds like the e-test where Sumio and the rest get involved in more rounds to find the mastermind of Enigma and defeat him/them once and for all.

Besides, Sumio's father suddenly disappeared and his sister knew of Enigma's logo. As someone said before this heavily hints that Sumio's father was also taken by Enigma. I doubt this can be resolved simply by beating the e-test.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Besides, Sumio's father suddenly disappeared and his sister knew of Enigma's logo.
Actually, she is Sumio's mother not sister.
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Does anybody else think that the "parent" Sumio will get back will not be his mother but his father?
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Whoa, that's an interesting theory. I didn't think of that, but yeah, it's possible and would definitely be a very nice twist! ^^ And if Sakaki-sensei needs to end the story quick (crossing my fingers this won't be the case!!) she could even return both parents, since in Japanese "oya" (I didn't read the first chapter raw but I assume this was the word used) can be both the singular or plural...

And thanks for the correction Negative Syndicate ^^;
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

You guys are right, this story can easily go in any direction. I was just getting a little too worried haha.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

There's lots of people saying that Enigma is similar to Saw. I didn't watch this movie, so I want to know what others think of it.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

HAHA, people are comparing it to Saw. I can see where they are connecting the dots. The 2nd movie is probably the best comparison. There's two groups, trapped in a house/school, except Saw doesn't involve supernatural abilities. The fan could be used as the best example, you have to risk losing part of your arm to get the final puzzle. Saw is way more violent and bloody, the characters die every minute almost. That's just chapter 6, so the other keys might involve more critical thinking rather than life and death situations.
 
Last edited:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

I actually thought of Saw due to the jigsaw puzzle (get it Jigsaw... lame) :D!
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Vankazen

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
49
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Okay, so I'm thinking Enigma could be the Principal of the School.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/n_gm/v01/c005/11.html

"...Of all the people you were with, you were the one to let your guard down, huh...?"

That could mean Enigma knows him in some "special" way. Plus, nobody but Principal would have the absolute control of the school.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have the feeling that if the series doesn't get axed, the main characters definetly won't be getting their "rewards" anytime soon. There'll likely be more rounds or whatever it is that applies before they recieve them.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I have the feeling that if the series doesn't get axed, the main characters definetly won't be getting their "rewards" anytime soon. There'll likely be more rounds or whatever it is that applies before they recieve them.
Agreed. That or maybe there will be new rewards ^^ Enigma could always take something else away from any of them the same way it grabbed Sumio's mother. Well, we'll find out in 2 weeks how the Japanese readers are taking to this series. Hoping for the best!

Chapter 7 was another interesting chapter.
I was hoping Moto would be able to make the door to the incinerator disappear completely, but I guess it was beyond his powers to make them disappear altogether instead of making them just invisible. Besides he already got a "power up" a few chapters ago (in a sense) when he moved from only being able to make himself disappear to making other things disappear, but it'd be a nice idea for a future power up ^^

Matsurigi got consumed (?) by the shadow again and had a complete personality change. But if Sumio, Moto and Sudou manage to save him and revert him to his normal self (hopefully in addition to getting the password out of the other incinerator), he will be able to tell them the true identity of the shadow. Perhaps it is time for Sudou to show what he can do :)
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just read Chapter 7...very interesting. The "choice" is pretty sadistic, and also have a good idea of Moto's current limitations with his powers. The shadow possessing the president was downright creepy though.

Am I the only one who noticed that the president was attempting to use his "power" for a moment? So we know it has something to do with "numbers"...
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Interesting chapter. It's always hard when you are forced to make a choice like the one we had in this chapter.

Am I the only one who noticed that the president was attempting to use his "power" for a moment? So we know it has something to do with "numbers"...
Yes, I had that feeling too. It was as if his talent was coming out. Maybe that's also a reason why he was taken over by the shadow ;)
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Is anyone else reminded of Persona 4 what with the shadows (especially what we saw in chapter 7) and the cute mascot (albeit the one in Enigma is pretty scary when compared to Teddy/Kuma in P4)? Also, both feature a high-school setting and a group of teenagers as the protagonists, plus they're both pretty dark.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is anyone else reminded of Persona 4 what with the shadows (especially what we saw in chapter 7) and the cute mascot (albeit the one in Enigma is pretty scary when compared to Teddy/Kuma in P4)? Also, both feature a high-school setting and a group of teenagers as the protagonists, plus they're both pretty dark.
I thought that for a second...but fortunently the situation with the "shadows" is different enough. We also don't know if their powers extend beyond mind control.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I hope the ranking stay in stable position because if the ranking is low, then the author has to shift the story into more battle-oriented. Then, I'm going to disappointed if Enigma turn into battle manga.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ Agreed, currently i enjoy Enigma much more as thriller manga. But i think none of the skills is useful for battle.

I love the current chapter! I wonder what kind of power the chairman has? Or is he somehow connected to the mastermind of this incident?
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Battle manga doesn't seem to suit Enigma. I like the artwork, but I'm not really sure if Sakaki-sensei can manage action scenes. I agree with R4n that the powers aren't really useful in fights.

There's lots of people saying that Enigma is similar to Saw. I didn't watch this movie, so I want to know what others think of it.
Although I've never watched SAW (and never will), there's a similarity in which the characters have to go through various puzzles to escape. In this case, they have a dilemma of choosing either the president or the password. It will be interesting to see what their priorities are.

The OOC president at the end of the chapter was perhaps a way to show the readers he's possessed. Hopefully whatever is possessing him will be a better actor next week. :p
 
Top