Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Rowel

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
237
Reaction score
324
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I hadn't even considered that being Enigma's doing for some reason but it looks like that makes more sense. Since Matsurigi started hinting at his power, or at least I think he was, I had thought the personality change was a product of it being invoked.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just read Chapter 8...this series continues to impress me.

So we now know that the shadows were human at one point, and that if someone's caught by them, they can become a shadow. This could lead to some great possibilities later down the line.

It also looks like we'll be seeing the president's power next chapter. So it has something to do with subtraction...I have a few ideas on what the power might be specifically but I'll wait to be surprised next chapter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
I am very impressed with Enigma. It just got better and better. The more i read it, the more i hope it will last!
Currently, i enjoy reading Enigma more than any other WSJ series.
 

momogoldfish

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
85
Reaction score
103
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
I am very impressed with Enigma. It just got better and better. The more i read it, the more i hope it will last!
Currently, i enjoy reading Enigma more than any other WSJ series.
Same here, everything else in Jump seems so repetitive atm.

Kinda regret starting so early rather than waiting for there to be at least one complete arc, the wait every week is killing me...
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I agree that the series itself is doing good at this moment. I thought that the beginning of chapter 8 had a slow progression until I checked which page I was on. I can't find anything negative about this manga at this moment: interesting story, mysterious plot elements, character development,... Well, it's lucky that this manga has a weekly run because a month waiting wouldn't do good. I agree that it isn't mainstream as most manga are in WSJ.

What I like about this whole arc is that I can still trust only one person, Sumio. You can never know what twist will be given later on.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm glad this has proven to be popular so far. If any series in 2010 deserves to not be cut, it's Enigma.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Chapter 9's out.

President escapes certain death using super math.

Edit: My apologies, totally forgot to tag it.
 
Last edited:

Sherlock Holmes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
1,628
Reaction score
173
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Thanks for the spoiler?
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I must say, the president's power is impressive. Depending on it's limitations( such as the size of the object), it could be a really handy ability. I found it weird that he decided not to take the healing capsule, but I guess he doesn't want to risk it, in case someone else is possessed.

Looks like we'll be seeing Aru's true face soon. Though judging by what we saw of Aru's physique...I guess my theory about him being a girl is out. Unless there's some sort of ability revolving around that...
 

momogoldfish

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
85
Reaction score
103
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
Just read Chapter 10 RAWs, huge curveball again (HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD)

Kurisu Ryou (the guy in the photo, whose name was the password) appears before the group and claims that he was the person in the animal suit and that Enigma mistook him for Mizusawa Aru. Sumio being the saint that he is believes Kurisu's story though he still have some doubt. When alone, Kurisu reveals that his plan is actually to make sure that he himself will be able to escape.

Why does every chapter seem so short? :(
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Momo, if you post links to said raws, continuously, it's possible that Enigma can get its own sub-forum, once it gains enough popularity.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I don't think posting raws, even if they are externally linked, is even allowed ._.

Anyway, I don't think Enigma will get its own board that soon. Even HSDKenichi with nearly 2,000 posts hasn't got one. Well, keep up the discussion and we'll see :)

About ch10
I don't think the guy is actually Kurisu Ryou. In the second last page, he looks like he has been consumed by the shadow. Alternatively maybe this is actually Mizusawa's power. After all, like already pointed out in the chapter, it seems very unlikely that Enigma would make a mistake like getting the wrong person thrown into this game. Furthermore Shigeru noticed the badge on his lapel, and it will definitely play some part later on. It looks like the Student Council one Matsurigi had. My guess is when Shigeru looks at the picture she took of the picture of Kurisu in her phone, she'll realise Kurisu wasn't a member of the council and didn't have the badge.
 

ikuroi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
478
Reaction score
75
Gender
Male
Country
Antarctica
I think the guy is Kurisu but I don't think he is Mizusawa, I also believe Kurisu is the "shadow".

Kurisu stated that Haiba wasn't wrong. I can only assume he meant in that he wasn't Enigma. Because that would make most sense, because we saw in a previous chapter that Mizusawa went to the toilet, but why would he show us the images of him going out and the shadow creeping near him.. if it wasnt him?

Why Kurisu would be the shadow would be because he has a relation to Mitsuragi, we saw the shadow speak about Mitsuragi in a familiar way. We also saw Mitsuragi have a flashblack about someone who seemed like Kurisu. Actually there are more indications than that, but I guess I make my point clear.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Not to mention we already saw his photo go all Evil Mode.

It doesn't get more suspicious than that.
 

hai_Priesty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
786
Reaction score
1,943
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
(Hi, new comer to Enigma thread. If the mangas continues to be good or gets even better I may become resident like I'm the Psyren resident.... =P )

And everybody's speaking in cryptic spoiler-mode here! XD
Since's the chapter 10's week's almost up, I'll say openly -

Kurisu stated that Haiba wasn't wrong. I can only assume he meant in that he wasn't Enigma. Because that would make most sense, because we saw in a previous chapter that Mizusawa went to the toilet, but why would he show us the images of him going out and the shadow creeping near him.. if it wasnt him?

Why Kurisu would be the shadow would be because he has a relation to Mitsuragi, we saw the shadow speak about Mitsuragi in a familiar way. We also saw Mitsuragi have a flashblack about someone who seemed like Kurisu. Actually there are more indications than that, but I guess I make my point clear.
I've thought there's 2 possibilities that Kurisu say Haiba isn't wrong - one you've mentioned, and the other meaning being "Haiba is right to trust Mizusawa", that he's on good side even though he chose to hide his face (for some reasons)............. But unfortunately, Kurisu is no Mizusawa.

I personally won't be surprised if Mizusawa just happened to get caught by the shadow and currently locked up somewhere like Matsurigi was. And it's of course lucky for Kurisu that Mizusawa happened to be wearing that huge Mascot outfit.


Something I wanted to say from 2ch about president :
From the photo of first password - top left - the spectacled guy looks like Matsurigi! Especially remembering, his flashback where he did have glasses..... The photo maybe of Student Council cast from previous year(s), where one or many of the members have gone missing. (there should be some reason why Enigma chose this photo and Kurisu?)



I must say, the president's power is impressive. Depending on it's limitations( such as the size of the object), it could be a really handy ability. I found it weird that he decided not to take the healing capsule, but I guess he doesn't want to risk it, in case someone else is possessed.

Looks like we'll be seeing Aru's true face soon. Though judging by what we saw of Aru's physique...I guess my theory about him being a girl is out. Unless there's some sort of ability revolving around that...


One speculation was that he didn't take that capsule because when he was caught, he recognized the shadow to be someone from his student council...... or maybe even Kurisu himself. Matsurigi may foresee himself approaching the shadow again, and save Kurisu (or other member) if he can.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
There's no way that he's Mizusawa. It looks too staged, honestly, and I doubt Enigma ended up getting the wrong person.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
He could be Mizusawa, but there's no way it wasn't a setup by Enigma.

And if he is, that'd probably set the stage for Mizusawa to show up in the future.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
(Hi, new comer to Enigma thread. If the mangas continues to be good or gets even better I may become resident like I'm the Psyren resident.... =P )
Welcome hai_Priesty, same over here then again no surprise I think :)

Anyway, some possibilities:
1. What has been told isn't a lie. Kurisu being Mizusawa could be a flaw that enigma made.
2. Kurisu is the shadow and he probably took Mizusawa elsewhere and took his place. He will take his chance when he has one.
3. Has anyone ever thought that Kurisu is Mizusawa and Mizusawa is Kurisu. I just want to point out that these locked up people all have a talent/power. Maybe Mizusawa has the power to attain the morphology of a certain person as being a picture.

They are probably some more but Kurisu can't be trusted. The end told us that obvious part
 
Last edited:

Bender

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
France
Hi everybody. I'm pleased to meet people who like this series:D


I've seen chapter 11 (raw) and Kurisu hits Sumio's head. Then Sumio makes a prediction with two Kurisu, one of them holding hands of another guy. I don't really get the idea. Maybe one of them is the shadow?

At the end of the chapter, and it's really interesting, Kurisu uses his power:
He flattens his body and gets in a picture of "president ( who is next to a computer)" , in order to use the lego key.

I need a trad to understand the rest:s
 
Last edited:

momogoldfish

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
85
Reaction score
103
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
Here's a brief summary of chapter 11:

-Sumio, Shigeru and Kurisu search for a computer to open the USB containing the third password but finds that none of the computers at school are working.
-Kurisu reveals in a internal monologue that his plan is to secure his own escape by keeping the 3rd password all to himself.
-Kurisu 'helps' Sumio fall asleep by knocking him out with a broom and then tells Shigeru to find a cold towel for Sumio.
-When Shigeru returns, there's a new diary entry claiming that Takemaru (the hood guy) will betray them and take a girl hostage. Sumio finds it strange that "Takemaru" is written in katakana unlike the rest of the diary which is written completely in hiragana but nonetheless decides to check on Takemaru.
-During Sumio's absence Kurisu reveals his ability: "Flat" which allows him to enter any 2-D pictures and alter their content. Using it he was able to find out the 3rd password by entering a photo containing a PC. After that he reveals to Shigeru that he had altered Sumio's diary using his ability and changed his name to Takemaru's, then promptly takes Shigeru hostage.

Kurisu's ability seems like it has amazing potential at the hands of a capable writer. Although I know that Enigma will eventually succumb to the plot dragging disease like every other Jump series I have to say I'm seriously enjoying the fact that something story changing happens every chapter atm.
 
Top