Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just read chapter 13. Yet another great chapter.

While there's a lot we don;t know about Sumio's powers, it seems as though their evolving throughout the test or they seem to be more responsive to his wishes. We also get to see more of Ryou;s powers and how much control he has over his Flat ability. Sumio seems to have outsmarted him though. I;m looking forward to seeing how this mini arc ends.

On a slightly different note, I'm creating a TV Tropes page for Enigme. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Enigme

Anyone who wants to contribute feel free(I'm just learning how to use it actually...)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
If Kurisu joins the team, then there going to be eight people and there are only seven passwords. Is that means one person going to be left behind?
 

Bender

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
France
Negative Syndicate said:
If Kurisu joins the team, then there going to be eight people and there are only seven passwords. Is that means one person going to be left behind?
Yes you'are right and that's why I think one of them'll be caught two times by the Shadow: Matsurigi or Mizusawa Aru?
I thought Aru was the Shadow but since I've reread chapters I doubt it's the case: at the begining, Enigma declared the presence of darkness.

So chapter 14 ends this mini arc, next week: past e-test, I'm looking forward to some secrets revealed!
 
Last edited:

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Given what Flat can do I wonder if Kurisu really is Aru, it seems so unlikely that Enigma made a mistake, my guess is that Kurisu could possibly have trapped Aru inside one of the worlds of Flat. I still find it hard to believe that Enigma would make such a mistake, its even more unlikely that Kurisu managed to manipulate - if at all - the list given how sudden and random the whole occurrence has been.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Given what Flat can do I wonder if Kurisu really is Aru, it seems so unlikely that Enigma made a mistake, my guess is that Kurisu could possibly have trapped Aru inside one of the worlds of Flat. I still find it hard to believe that Enigma would make such a mistake, its even more unlikely that Kurisu managed to manipulate - if at all - the list given how sudden and random the whole occurrence has been.
In chapter 14, it revealed that Kurisu is not Mizusawa Aru. Kurisu is past participant of e-test who failed the test and locked into Enigam world. Real Mizusawa Aru is in somewhere else.
 

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
In chapter 14, it revealed that Kurisu is not Mizusawa Aru. Kurisu is past participant of e-test who failed the test and locked into Enigam world. Real Mizusawa Aru is in somewhere else.
If that is the case I am intrigued by the fact that Kurisu was able to acquire the password. Given the nature of the puzzles so far in forcing the characters to reveal their ability - as it turns out to be key to solving the puzzle. I wonder whether the puzzles of Enigma also take into consideration shadows in being able to solve the puzzle, essentially giving them another shot at it. Another thing is if Kurisu hadn't incapacitated Aru whose ability could have extracted the password from the flashdrive.
 

Bender

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
France
If that is the case I am intrigued by the fact that Kurisu was able to acquire the password. Given the nature of the puzzles so far in forcing the characters to reveal their ability - as it turns out to be key to solving the puzzle. I wonder whether the puzzles of Enigma also take into consideration shadows in being able to solve the puzzle, essentially giving them another shot at it. Another thing is if Kurisu hadn't incapacitated Aru whose ability could have extracted the password from the flashdrive.
Maybe shadows are one of Enigma's puzzles or just another student who failed his e-test.

I wonder if Enigma is the one who has given'em those abilities. I don't think they have been chosen since they have talents and it's rather strange they go to the same school. So, why?
 
Last edited:

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Maybe shadows are one of Enigma's puzzles or just another student who failed his e-test.

I wonder if Enigma is the one who has given'em those abilities. I don't think they have been chosen since they have talents and it's rather strange they go to the same school. So, why?
From how Negative Syndicate's spoilers sound these shadows were participants - most likely with their own natural talent - I highly doubt these abilities were bestowed by Enigma. What I am saying is that the shadows themselves have a second shot at the game but what I found odd about that was that they had a second shot given the nature of puzzles being quite tailor fit to the abilities of the current participants. As for them going to the same school it there is no doubt about that given the photo of Kurisu being the first password. In fact the passwords do provide some sort of clue about Enigma we know so far that he seems to be somehow linked to Haiba - his Birthday being a password -and also given the school photo which appears to be old it seems highly likely that Enigma has been doing these games for some time - possibly involving students from that school given the setting. Now it would be interesting to see as to why Enigma purposely chose that school, future reasons? Any case manga is still quite early to tell lots of things :P.
 
Last edited:

Bender

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
France
From how Negative Syndicate's spoilers sound these shadows were participants - most likely with their own natural talent - I highly doubt these abilities were bestowed by Enigma. What I am saying is that the shadows themselves have a second shot at the game but what I found odd about that was that they had a second shot given the nature of puzzles being quite tailor fit to the abilities of the current participants. As for them going to the same school it there is no doubt about that given the photo of Kurisu being the first password. In fact the passwords do provide some sort of clue about Enigma we know so far that he seems to be somehow linked to Haiba - his Birthday being a password -and also given the school photo which appears to be old it seems highly likely that Enigma has been doing these games for some time - possibly involving students from that school given the setting. Now it would be interesting to see as to why Enigma purposely chose that school, future reasons? Any case manga is still quite early to tell lots of things :P.
Yeah you are right but what I meant was at the begining Enigma gathered 7 guys with talents (acquired somehow and other). And until last week, I thought it was because they have talents they were chosen. But by rereading chapters I wonder if those talents were bestowed by Enigma before the game begins
And I have another question: Why (i don't remerber when) were there people outside who seemed to be caught by shadows. Maybe this game is built to test people with the presence of shadows in order to let them fight against shadows (from outside) ???

May someone translate this spoil from e15, please? :D
会長の過去が明らかとなる。
会長は第二回のe-testのただ一人の脱出者で、今回参加した理由はクリスを助けるためだった。
なぜクリスの性格が悪いかというと、シャドーに取り付かれ自分が最も受け入れたくない逆の性分の人間が生まれてしまっていたから。それに屈してしまうと完全にシャドー化する。

クリスは生徒会長で完璧な人間で、e-testではリーダーシップを発揮。
しかし、予知能力者がいなかったためにパスは2つしか入手できなかった。
皆は完璧なクリスが脱出するに違いないと考えてしまい、祀木現会長とクリス以外の3人が反発、パスの奪い合いが起きてしまった。

脱出して助けを呼ぶしかないと考えた2人は脱出しようとする。
しかし、ゴールの目前でクリスはシャドーに捕まってしまった。
クリスは脱出していたと思っていた会長だけがe-testで初めて脱出に成功した者だとエニグマに認定された。
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I finished translating it. (Ch 15)
A really interesting chapter. Some great development to the world of the story and also the characters and what direction the plot's going in.
 

hai_Priesty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
786
Reaction score
1,943
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Since trans is out can I talk openly? ^_^;

What I am saying is that the shadows themselves have a second shot at the game but what I found odd about that was that they had a second shot given the nature of puzzles being quite tailor fit to the abilities of the current participants. As for them going to the same school it there is no doubt about that given the photo of Kurisu being the first password. In fact the passwords do provide some sort of clue about Enigma we know so far that he seems to be somehow linked to Haiba - his Birthday being a password -and also given the school photo which appears to be old it seems highly likely that Enigma has been doing these games for some time - possibly involving students from that school given the setting.
Perhaps Enigma gave failed participants the second shot so as to level up the difficulty of passing the test..... Perhaps shadows listen to Enigma and do his bidding in hope of escaping back to "this world" again......?

Also seems to me that to let failed participants become as potential escapees also added another difficult (and suspense to us readers) since this guarantees the number of passes available obviously isn't enough for everyone even if Haiba-tachi manages to get the full set of passes this time with help of his diary.

I wonder where's Mizusawa now. We now have at least 8 people gathering at most 7 passes. :s (Or is he caught by another shadow so Kurisu decided to fool the participants by taking the Mascot suit without other Shadows knowing it?)


Now it would be interesting to see as to why Enigma purposely chose that school, future reasons? Any case manga is still quite early to tell lots of things :P. [/spoiler]
I wonder if it has to do with fields around that town.
The author might be just deploying "law of cool" by naming their town with the horror-movie fit name of Yuuyami, dark evening, or lampshaded that the town/place is inauspicious with some kind of (magnetic?) field or special place? (I may just be thinking too much ^o^)
 

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Since trans is out can I talk openly? ^_^;


I wonder where's Mizusawa now. We now have at least 8 people gathering at most 7 passes. :s (Or is he caught by another shadow so Kurisu decided to fool the participants by taking the Mascot suit without other Shadows knowing it?)
My guess is definitely on captured, high chance that its Kurisu who has trapped Misuzawa or perhaps another shadow either way I doubt Aru would just wander around by himself. He was probably captured while keeping watch over the girls - seeing as Aru was alone at that time.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Enigma 1
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Interesting. I don;t think I've ever seen so many characters on a Volume 1 cover. I also like that the background is purple instead of white since it fits the tone of the series pretty well.

Oh how I can't wait for this series to come stateside! Though first I'd like it to update regularly...
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Aside from some of the coloring, I like it. Stuff like Aru and Enigma look really weird contrasted with the rest of the cover.
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
What a great manga!

Jump needed this kind of work so badly! =D
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Someone better check out Bakuman's latest chapter!! it looks like Ohba is directly challenging Sakaki-sensei.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I love how even Obata and Ohba (the authors of fricking Death Note) are showing their support for Enigma. That will definitely draw in some new fans.

I am so confident in Enigma it's not even funny. This has the potential to be the next 20th Century Boys.
 

PaperMaster-Yosh

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
62
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
No, it doesn't. Even taking into account Engima's steady pacing and its method of developing characters without obstructing plot development, it's still just a survival genre manga with the inclusion of abnormal abilities. 20th Century Boys was so much more. I will say it is far superior to Doubt. That's about it.



By the way, fans of 20th Century Boys may be interested in knowing mangastream has picked up Billy Bat--Urasawa newest work.


Edit: I'm kinda surprised spoilers haven't surface yet since other WSJ series have even already been scanlated.
 
Last edited:
Top