Shounen Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,410
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Is Urasawa in a weekly magazine?? if I remember correctly, he isn't. And the fact that Enigma is in the MOST popular weekly magazine it will likely surpass 20th century boys.
 

Kibate

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
277
Reaction score
33
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Lol, i checked it out because of Bakuman too
i love that genre, so obviously this manga is my thing, but it could have been done better.
First off, the first arc doesn't seem to last long, almost all abilitys are revealed, half of the passwords and the identity of the mascot guy(maybe). Anyway, what i don't like about this manga is the magic part. Seeing into the future is believeable, getting somehow 7 kids into a closed school, okay, that too. Making perfect games that are almost impossible but still solvable, okay, i dig that too. However everything else is pure garbish. Making things disappear(even objects in photos, oh come on!) having a third hand that somehow leaves a dark mark? Entering into a picture and even able to use objects in them OH COME ON! Making things smaller by reducing numbers, okay, that is somehow understable, if he wouldn't do that physically with his fingers on magically appeared numbers!
Okay, enough ranitng about the magic -_-

the last thing i don't like is the forced suspense, most of them didn't had a good reason to hide their ability, it was just for the sake of not revealing them to the reader.

It's no second deathnote, but it's still fun despite by butthurt XP
 

PaperMaster-Yosh

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
62
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Is Urasawa in a weekly magazine?? if I remember correctly, he isn't. And the fact that Enigma is in the MOST popular weekly magazine it will likely surpass 20th century boys.
Billy bat is serialized in Weekly Morning, conversely Billy bat isn't published every week. But what does Billy Bat have to do with you claiming a series that isn't even a half a year old surpassing an award winning mystery series that lasted over five years?

So the basis of your argument is that because Enigma is in a popular magazine it's gonna surpass 20th Century Boys? :cookiestare


I like that the characters have abilities, I just find it too convenient that they're always able to solve problems by using their powers. It's as if the puzzles are built around the participants abilities. Maybe Enigma purposely built the puzzles around the participants abilities, driving home the point that in order to survive the round they must work together.

However, what could they have done to save the president if the guy who can temporarily make objects disappear stayed with the girls instead of the guy in the mascot suit? How would they have been able to collect all the puzzle pieces before the room filled with water if the girl with third hand hadn't been present?

And with the revelation that past participants trapped in the shadows get a second chance throws a wrench in the theory that Enigma built the puzzles around the starters' abilities, which brings me to the conclusion that the method in which each puzzle has been solved so far was circumstantial.
 
Last edited:

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Billy bat is serialized in Weekly Morning, conversely Billy bat isn't published every week. But what does Billy Bat have to do with you claiming a series that isn't even a half a year old surpassing an award winning mystery series that lasted over five years?

So the basis of your argument is that because Enigma is in a popular magazine it's gonna surpass 20th Century Boys? :cookiestare


I like that the characters have abilities, I just find it too convenient that they're always able to solve problems by using their powers. It's as if the puzzles are built around the participants abilities. Maybe Enigma purposely built the puzzles around the participants abilities, driving home the point that in order to survive the round they must work together.

However, what could they have done to save the president if the guy who can temporarily make objects disappear stayed with the girls instead of the guy in the mascot suit? How would they have been able to collect all the puzzle pieces before the room filled with water if the girl with third hand hadn't been present?

And with the revelation that past participants trapped in the shadows get a second chance throws a wrench in the theory that Enigma built the puzzles around the starters' abilities, which brings me to the conclusion that the method in which each puzzle has been solved so far was circumstantial.
The fact that they need to use their powers to solve the puzzles seems to be the point. Remember that the game is called the "e-test". Obviously Enigme is testing their qualifications for whatever it is he has planned...
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,410
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Billy bat is serialized in Weekly Morning, conversely Billy bat isn't published every week. But what does Billy Bat have to do with you claiming a series that isn't even a half a year old surpassing an award winning mystery series that lasted over five years?

So the basis of your argument is that because Enigma is in a popular magazine it's gonna surpass 20th Century Boys? :cookiestare


I like that the characters have abilities, I just find it too convenient that they're always able to solve problems by using their powers. It's as if the puzzles are built around the participants abilities. Maybe Enigma purposely built the puzzles around the participants abilities, driving home the point that in order to survive the round they must work together.

However, what could they have done to save the president if the guy who can temporarily make objects disappear stayed with the girls instead of the guy in the mascot suit? How would they have been able to collect all the puzzle pieces before the room filled with water if the girl with third hand hadn't been present?

And with the revelation that past participants trapped in the shadows get a second chance throws a wrench in the theory that Enigma built the puzzles around the starters' abilities, which brings me to the conclusion that the method in which each puzzle has been solved so far was circumstantial.
LOL, I know.:p I just wanted someone to confirm if Urasawa works for a weekly magazine. Was his 20th century boys published in the same magazine?? and I didn't say for sure Enigma will surpass it for sure. I only said it was likely.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Of course Enigma isn't in the epic tier yet. It's not even 2 volumes long, and not even finished of its first arc. But if Sakaki expands on the universe, adds more characters, and fleshes out the story so it's not just survival horror, this could definitely be something big.


As for the story, I'm most interested in that token chick. I can't even remember her name - that's how forgettable she is. Something seriously needs to be done about her. She's already been used as a damsel in distress, which makes me groan. She better have a good reason for hiding her powers from Sumio (yes, I'm sure that she has powers, otherwise Enigma would not have picked her).
 

tobeulp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Messages
801
Reaction score
193
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Well I love this kind of manga and because Bakuman had mentioned I started to read this... I am getting a Psyren like kind of feeling with this manga this manga could be an epic manga
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I liked the two new chapters.The revelations were cool and even though it was only a flashback,it was quite exiting.

Anyway,i have a question.Couldn't Kurisu just get out of the flatworld and take the photo with him?

I love how even Obata and Ohba (the authors of fricking Death Note) are showing their support for Enigma. That will definitely draw in some new fans.

I am so confident in Enigma it's not even funny. This has the potential to be the next 20th Century Boys.
Oh please,please.You can't throw around with big names like 20th Century Boys.It makes your post look ridiculous,at least to me,as 20th Century Boys plays in another league.You could say that it might be better than doubt,but not 20th Century Boys,sorry.
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just read chapters 14 and 15...very interesting. I figured something was up with Ryou, but I didn't expect both him and Matsurigi to be past participants. Also since it was the second e-test I have a feeling that Sumio's dad disappeared during the first one. Judging by the fact that he hasn't been seen as a shadow, it's possible that he succeeded in the e-test, though we're still not sure what it means.

And so the mysteries grow deeper...
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Oh please,please.You can't throw around with big names like 20th Century Boys.It makes your post look ridiculous,at least to me,as 20th Century Boys plays in another league.You could say that it might be better than doubt,but not 20th Century Boys,sorry.
Thank you very much for saying that. Let's not talk about "x can surpass this and that", because such post can be offensive and ridiculous. Besides, comparing seinen and shounen is not fair to begin with. ^^;;

(offended Urasawa Naoki fan here)

Kurisu's original personality surprises me. What worries me is that Kurisu's angel personality overlaps too much with Sumio's. I wonder how will that work, storyline-wise. But of course it is too early to say anything now... ;)
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
[koen]Could we focus on discussing about the chapters and leave out manga comparison discussions ^^[/koen]

Latest Edited Mangas were good. I love how the story is evolving. The history behind Kurisu and Matsurigi was pretty interesting. Latter one has been participant who already succeeded, while former one has never managed to succeed the test. I would have never expected this twist tbh. I just wonder what or who the shadow's work is. Have I missed that?
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder where Kurisu went to after the 2nd test ended. And what about the other three people? I wonder if they will show up during the 3rd test as well, or if maybe they have passed away. Guess we'll see soon enough
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well this kinda puts us at our first major moral dilemma now, doesn't it? I mean the President has come back in order to fix his mistake of leaving Kurisu, and Kurisu is now being pegged as a good character, yet there are still only 7 passwords. It shouldn't be too long now before they figure this out.
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
The president is probably going to sacrifice himself since he never cure his shadow.
 

MIhata

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
21
Reaction score
54
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
[Cross];2241978 said:
Well this kinda puts us at our first major moral dilemma now, doesn't it? I mean the President has come back in order to fix his mistake of leaving Kurisu, and Kurisu is now being pegged as a good character, yet there are still only 7 passwords. It shouldn't be too long now before they figure this out.
I may be wrong, but if you win in the e-test, enigma is give you one thing you want.
In the president case - Kirisu.

PS - Sorry for the bad English :p
 

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
I may be wrong, but if you win in the e-test, enigma is give you one thing you want.
In the president case - Kirisu.

PS - Sorry for the bad English :p
Actually that is what I am wondering as well. Seeing as the condition for the wish to be granted is merely to escape I wonder if the president's wish is to just rescue Kurisu - if so there should be no problem of turning this into a win all situation as the president can escape and if Kurisu is indeed his wish then Kurisu would be fine. Only complication is if Enigma put down a different wish on the president's card - then he'd probably have to stay behind though potentially that could be an issue in the future if they'd have to give up another password. Or Misuzawa Aru wouldn't be rescued this round so they'd have one free password.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm starting to think that there must be a different time dimension within the school because Kurisu looks the same since the 2nd e-test. His hair isn't grown out and his clothes are in good condition. I also can't recall seeing any students eating or falling asleep due to fatigue since the start of the test.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the title. Usually if a character is the title itself then they are the main focus and the good guy. Ex: Naruto, Toriko, Arago etc. Even though Enigma is shown as a villain right now, he might progress into a good character.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm starting to think that there must be a different time dimension within the school because Kurisu looks the same since the 2nd e-test. His hair isn't grown out and his clothes are in good condition. I also can't recall seeing any students eating or falling asleep due to fatigue since the start of the test.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the title. Usually if a character is the title itself then they are the main focus and the good guy. Ex: Naruto, Toriko, Arago etc. Even though Enigma is shown as a villain right now, he might progress into a good character.
It seems more like a mistake to me.I haven't seen them moan about being hungry even once and even if there is a different time dimension,it wouldn't save them from getting hungry,as they waste energy.It seems a bit unrealistic.I guess it's still acceptable,as it wasn't that long yet,but i'll be dissapointed if none of them mentiones it after another day.

As for the title,on the one hand,your theory is possible.Enigma might be a good guy who needs people with certain powers and strong characters to fight a villain he can't manage on his own.On the other hand,Psyren was named after the villain,right?I read only some chapters,so i don't know if he ended up being good,but maybe Enigma is similiar.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It seems more like a mistake to me.I haven't seen them moan about being hungry even once and even if there is a different time dimension,it wouldn't save them from getting hungry,as they waste energy.It seems a bit unrealistic.I guess it's still acceptable,as it wasn't that long yet,but i'll be dissapointed if none of them mentiones it after another day.

If I recall, they have food supplies, it probably just glossed over the parts when they're eating.
 
Top