Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is this TOC the real deal? Because if it is yay Bleach is back and in the top 5. Reborn! slipped back down in the rankings, it will do better me thinks
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Woot! Medaka is firmly out of the bottom 5. Making me happy this week. Toriko dropping surprised me a bit but I'm sure it will go back up. Its been a sequence of set up chapters for the gourmet pyramid atm. Sket slipped a bit after months of stability but thats alright since its anime will be starting soon anyway.

No surprise HxH was a fake. I've lost the majority of my interest in that series for several reasons so it not coming back is whatever for me.

Hopefully this Magico manga is better than it looks but I'm getting "Kagijin" vibes lately for some reason and that scares me.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
The topic of whether or not Jump considers tankoubon sales or not when they bring up series for cancellation has been discussed tons of times in this thread (and its predecessors). The answer is that really, we don't know if Jump does consider tankoubon sales or not. There is evidence to point both ways, so there can be no conclusive verdict.

Yes, from a business point of view what Westlo has said is very true (in fact Mago sells >500k copies per volume on average :)). But there have been instances where Jump seems to have done what would seem very silly from a business point of view. Who knows if they will do it again?

Anyway there is really no point in debating over that, so let's put that to rest, shall we? :) As fans, we can just hope Mago tides over this rough patch ranking-wise. Having read the recent chapters (esp 143) I think there is much hope for the series to pick itself up on the TOC :amuse

And I'd think that even if Mago is forced to end earlier than Shiibashi intended, they'll give him more time than they did Iwashiro for Psyren. At least I hope so.
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The topic of whether or not Jump considers tankoubon sales or not when they bring up series for cancellation has been discussed tons of times in this thread (and its predecessors). The answer is that really, we don't know if Jump does consider tankoubon sales or not. There is evidence to point both ways, so there can be no conclusive verdict.

Yes, from a business point of view what Westlo has said is very true (in fact Mago sells >500k copies per volume on average :)). But there have been instances where Jump seems to have done what would seem very silly from a business point of view. Who knows if they will do it again?

Anyway there is really no point in debating over that, so let's put that to rest, shall we? :) As fans, we can just hope Mago tides over this rough patch ranking-wise. Having read the recent chapters (esp 143) I think there is much hope for the series to pick itself up on the TOC :amuse

And I'd think that even if Mago is forced to end earlier than Shiibashi intended, they'll give him more time than they did Iwashiro for Psyren. At least I hope so.
I just caught up to reading Mago, man I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Things aren't looking good for Hokenshitsu. But Dois Sol, most likely Grimm, and possibly Magico will add some cushion to the bottom 5.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Things aren't looking good for Hokenshitsu. But Dois Sol, most likely Grimm, and possibly Magico will add some cushion to the bottom 5.
That's some harsh words for series we haven't even gotten a chance to read yet...
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That person said they "didn't find anything about Hunter" they didn't say it was fake. There was that image, too. I'll reserve judgment to see if that was fake or not.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I, personally, think current line-up for WSJ is very solid, so I don't want none of them to axe (except 4 new series, they need more time).

So, if the editors have to axe to make room for upcoming new series, I hope only Hokenshitsu to be axed; I also like Hokenshitsu, but it is my least favorite series in current ongoing series.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The topic of whether or not Jump considers tankoubon sales or not when they bring up series for cancellation has been discussed tons of times in this thread (and its predecessors). The answer is that really, we don't know if Jump does consider tankoubon sales or not. There is evidence to point both ways, so there can be no conclusive verdict.
Shueisha basically only makes money off tankobon sales. The magazine is a loss leader. Mago turns a profit for Shueisha, canceling it would be terrible business. The absolute worst case scenario for Mago is that they determine that Mago fans are not buying Weekly Jump and move it to SQ or Ultra Jump. D. Gray Man and ToRa are the best comparison. Both sold about the same amount of copies as Mago, both floated around the bottom five, both were moved rather than canceled. The low ranking might not have much to do with how fans feel about the stories quality. I bet that Mago appeals to a slightly older audience. The vast majority of Jump readers are 15 or younger. Series with mostly older teen (16 and up) readers tend to poll poorly. Again, DGM and ToRa are examples. Death Note too. It always polled in the middle, never the top but never the bottom.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
That's some harsh words for series we haven't even gotten a chance to read yet...
It's just a sad truth. Only two series made it out of 2010, and one of them is just getting by, so I imagine that 2011 will be just as rough.

I am pretty optimistic about Sengoku Armors though. :amuse
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Ah but see how the 2010 series faired says nothing about the 2011 series. 2010 was filled with either series that were just too bland (Light Wing, Lock On) or too non-Jump (Yotsuya). DOIS SOL could be the next Whistle!, Grim the next Bobobo, and Magico the next Muhyo and Roji. We don't know till we see seeing as how their are plenty of series that could easily be killed off if any of these series takes root.

I do agree about Sengoku Armors. If it's as entertaining as the oneshot and still doesn't make the cut, I'll lose complete faith in the Jump audience.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Oh, darn... so I let myself get fucked by some 2ch troll. Sorry for the invoncenience. Usually I'm more wary and got my fair share of experience with the forums but I was in a hurry to catch my train... >D

On the other hand: wow, that's relieving. The signal switched from orange back to yellow for my Oumaga. One more series added to the line-up would mean things were to get nasty for OD.
Also happy that it dodged the bullet this week. Thanks Hokenshitsu-senpai for pitching in and taking the dead last spot. :sweat
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm not very happy about the rankings. :( Sket Dance, KHR and Mago are quite low this week. I'm impressed that Hokenshitsu has been persevering despite being in the bottom 5 for a while now. (I followed Aimoto on Twitter so I hope the best for her.)

Let's say that a manga has 100 chapters this week. Will it be Ch. 92 that's ranked or 93? I keep getting different answers, and I want a clarification once and for all!

Oh, darn... so I let myself get fucked by some 2ch troll. Sorry for the invoncenience. Usually I'm more vary and got my fair share of experience with the forums but I was in a hurry to catch my train... >D
No problem, Prince! 2ch is at fault here. I feel it's about time Togashi should make a return since the hiatus has been going on for so long. (It's been nine months already?)
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's say that a manga has 100 chapters this week. Will it be Ch. 92 that's ranked or 93? I keep getting different answers, and I want a clarification once and for all!
As I understood it from trends among other conversations and observations the counting is inclusive, so in your scenario chapter 100 would be ranked according to chapter 93's results.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Let's say that a manga has 100 chapters this week. Will it be Ch. 92 that's ranked or 93? I keep getting different answers, and I want a clarification once and for all!
The general consensus a little while back was that it would be ch. 93. It's the chapter 8 weeks ago, this is counting the current week, or ch. 100, as the first week. 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, 93. Hope that helps ;)
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, that follows along the fact that the eighth chapter is usually the first ranked chapter, reflecting the rank for chapter 1. (Although this can get weird when you have series that start prior to the Christmas/New Years breaks)
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, that follows along the fact that the eighth chapter is usually the first ranked chapter, reflecting the rank for chapter 1. (Although this can get weird when you have series that start prior to the Christmas/New Years breaks)
Sigh...not it DOESN'T get weird with double issues as chapters are ranked based on 8 CHAPTERS not WEEKS. It makes ZERO SENSE to rank chapters by weeks for THIS VERY REASON.

Sorry for all the caps, I just don't understand why the 'weeks theory' is still being used as it would cause certain issues to default to an arbitrary ranking system whenever '8 weeks ago' falls on a 'void week'.
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
I think thats a really nice cover. The man with the hat looks interesting.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Somehow, when looking at the cover, I have a feeling that Magico will aim to younger children kinda like that failed cat manga did (I totally forgot the name). It somehow looks nice but childish
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top