Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Aww, for once, I actually liked the chapter Bleach was ranked for. :( And Beelzebub is slightly lower than it was last week...I'm not sure if this is a good week, but its definitely a good week for Medaka Box!

And I hope the high ranking for Magico means it'll be in Jump for a long while. :D
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
yeah way to go medaka! don't understand why torika is in second place, but yeah, reborn is up to... and i thought it would go the direction of being axed in the next 2 years.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Cautionary tale for young mangaka: don't right a six month long training arc. Its boring and gets on fans nerves. This arc has been so slow that it effected post count in the Bleach forum >.>;
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Cautionary tale for young mangaka: don't right a six month long training arc. Its boring and gets on fans nerves. This arc has been so slow that it effected post count in the Bleach forum >.>;
You noticed? ^_^
I told some friends how the last 2 chapters of D.Gray-man got over 150 posts in 24h while Bleach got barely 40-50.
The interesting part for me isn't on the training by the way. I don't like trainings. ^_^
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm kinda wondering if they actually are depimping Bleach now

Or at least just not promoting it anymore like they used to.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Sengoku and Sol both doing bad? I should just stop reading new series >.>
 

Sayaendo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
50
Reaction score
11
Gender
Male
Country
Palau
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but really, what's with the obsession with Sengoku Armors? I hated it (and I was ready to hit myself if it ranked good). Magico, on the other hand, is fantastic.

I mean that as a real question. It'll be nice if someone detailed what he liked about Sengoku Armors.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I was just about to read the first chapter of Sengoku Armors when I saw this latest TOC. Now I'm not sure I should read it anymore and get my hopes up, but I probably will anyway. Man has Bleach gone down... hope that serves as a wakeup call for Kubo (he really needs to stop dragging stuff). It's nice to see that Reborn has finally gone up! This arc has been pretty great overall (though I wish the fights were just a bit longer). Bakuman seems to be doing good, and so is Enigma. All in all, a pretty great TOC!
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah. Bleach isn't doing so good.
But like I said, it's gonna have good sales regardless, even if they do go down.
Toriko at #2 and getting a cover's awesome.

And Reborn is high again for the first time in a while.

In general, most of the good series are doing good.

HXH has been on hiatus for about a year now. I'm hoping it'll get an announcement for when it'll resume soon.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Bleach doesn't have as big of a hardcore base as One Piece or Naruto. Fans of those two series will vote for them no matter what, most likely even if Oda or Kishi pull a "HxH Chapter 299" on us. Bleach has more... casual fans that aren't afraid to not vote for it if they don't like what's going on.

That's my take on Bleach being out of the top ten, anyway.
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
yeah way to go medaka! don't understand why torika is in second place, but yeah, reborn is up to... and i thought it would go the direction of being axed in the next 2 years.
I'm quite surprise to because the start of the pyramid arc did not appeal me that much. What will it be when it reach the currents chapters which are much impressive ?
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but really, what's with the obsession with Sengoku Armors? I hated it (and I was ready to hit myself if it ranked good)
yeah the series was quite boring. gave up by chapter 2, but the one-shot was really good!
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It's boring, but I wouldn't mind if it got a chance to develop. It's something I could see improving over time.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It's boring, but I wouldn't mind if it got a chance to develop. It's something I could see improving over time.
maybe it could, but it doesn't seems like it will have the chance. who thought at the beginning that sengoku will be axed and not magico? yeah quite suprising =)

PS: yeah new chapter bleach, amazing style BUT no development. i wished kubo would just be an artist for someone. it would be 1000 times better than this. didn't they say he is a genius because of his art style? i thought i read it here sometimes ago.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but really, what's with the obsession with Sengoku Armors? I hated it (and I was ready to hit myself if it ranked good). Magico, on the other hand, is fantastic.

I mean that as a real question. It'll be nice if someone detailed what he liked about Sengoku Armors.
I don't think it's really an obsession so much as it is that people seem to be eager for a new action series to take hold and whenever a decent one shows up (Akaboshi, Sengoku, etc.), they get all wound up. I personally just like the setting of Sengoku so far. I wasn't bored when reading it so hoped it could do well especially with the high placement it was receiving...course now that seems to have been just trolling on the part of the editors >.>
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think it's really an obsession so much as it is that people seem to be eager for a new action series to take hold and whenever a decent one shows up (Akaboshi, Sengoku, etc.), they get all wound up. I personally just like the setting of Sengoku so far. I wasn't bored when reading it so hoped it could do well especially with the high placement it was receiving...course now that seems to have been just trolling on the part of the editors >.>
I sort of agree with that. A lot of fans are sort of looking for JUMP to put a new action series that actually does well. Nura's the closest we've gotten in recent years and it's going down a bit. I suppose Medaka could also be counted since it has survived due to becoming an action series...but it doesn;t have an anime just yet so I supoose it can;t really be called a success just yet.

It's why I;m hoping Goldland Company was well recieved. Iwashiro is one of the better battle manga writers I;ve seen, and I think if he doesn't have to worry about pressure from the rankings as much and has more time to flesh out his characters and world, he can write something amazing. Psyren got pretty close in my eyes, but we all know how that ended...:(
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
About the Bleach ranking discussion.
I was thinking. The downfall in the rankings begun about the same time as Magico got ranked. If we assume that the 2 major vote fractions for Bleach are a) the fan girls and b) the action fans than the low rankings make sense. The absence of fan favourites in Bleach and the new “kind of romance” Manga Magico lead to a shift of the votes from the female fans from Bleach to Magico. The absence of Action in Bleach could also shift the votes from action fans to other action series from what I think Toriko profits the most.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
About the Bleach ranking discussion.
I was thinking. The downfall in the rankings begun about the same time as Magico got ranked. If we assume that the 2 major vote fractions for Bleach are a) the fan girls and b) the action fans than the low rankings make sense. The absence of fan favourites in Bleach and the new “kind of romance” Manga Magico lead to a shift of the votes from the female fans from Bleach to Magico. The absence of Action in Bleach could also shift the votes from action fans to other action series from what I think Toriko profits the most.
Well, i gotta tell you... The new "vilain" in Bleach is REALLY cute. :amuse
He is part of my remaining interest so far on the manga.

But who knows? Maybe creating a bishounen wasn't enough to keep the fangirls. ^_^
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Not a bad TOC this week. I'm happy and quite surprised to see Reborn recovering since it jumped up rather drastically. I wonder which chapter of Toriko was ranked since it's ahead of Naruto.

Oh man, Bleach. :blink It's actually at a respectable position, but it's really low for the series itself. Sengoku ARMOR's ranking interests me.

Nurarihyon is the blemish to this not-so-bad week and hopefully it'll improve the same way KHR has. :( The only silver lining I find is that Hokenshitsu has been in the bottom for several months and is still hanging on- if anything it'll be cut first since it's not as big as Mago.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Mago has taken over the role of popular action manga that polls terribly, a role previously held by DGM. DGM was in WSJ for five years and rarely rose to the top half of the TOC. Funny as this sounds, Death Note never ranked in the top five either. It never polled as low as DGM or Mago, but it was always stuck in the middle.

About the Bleach ranking discussion.
I was thinking. The downfall in the rankings begun about the same time as Magico got ranked. If we assume that the 2 major vote fractions for Bleach are a) the fan girls and b) the action fans than the low rankings make sense. The absence of fan favourites in Bleach and the new “kind of romance” Manga Magico lead to a shift of the votes from the female fans from Bleach to Magico. The absence of Action in Bleach could also shift the votes from action fans to other action series from what I think Toriko profits the most.
Bleach is not giving it's fans what they want right now. Bleach fans want fights, actions, and special moves. Since Aizen was defeated all they've had was a training arc. The first minor fight since the Arrancar arc ended was last week. That's why it has gradually lost ground in the polls. Mark my word, next time someone says "bankai", back to the top five.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top