Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Quite possibly some new Hunter x Hunter chapters? I guess he needs to pass the time before Dragon Quest X comes out...
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Says the Bleach fan:p
Yup says the Bleach fan, proud of it too.

Most of the kids who read and vote for Toriko have probably never even read Hunter x Hunter. Not to mention it always ranks low since it's so rarely in the magazine. And why would you want it knocked down? I think it's fantastic to see a young series doing so well. The last five years have kind of been devoid of young series doing well against older ones.
Don't get me wrong I think its great to see a young series have success too but anyone but that one. Sorry but its just my dislike for it coming out. I am looking forward to see if Magico will have the same success. So far so good I think.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Toriko doesn't really qualify as new anymore. Jump series are judged in dog years; three years in Jump is the equivalent of ten in Magazine or Sunday. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Toriko is nowhere near a mega hit, it's not challenging One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, or even Bakuman in sales. Maybe the anime will change that. Toriko may rank much higher, but it's closer to Mago in sales. Not sure where it ranks in the amount of merchandising. Toys, novelties, figurines, etc are the other major barometer of popularity.

Hunter x Hunter is never ranked. It's most likely placed. Remember, it takes eight issues for final poll results to be tallied. HxH is rarely in the magazine longer than ten issues. Last year was the first time I can remember that he did twenty in a row, in 2007-2009 he did ten chapters every fall, then 10 the following spring. Under those circumstances, there would be two chapters to rank, then hiatus. Besides, why give a mangaka such a sweet deal, then subject him to fan polls? The only point would be novelty purposes.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
While I dislike Toriko's author, I'm not really a Toriko hater (as some might believe). That being said, I'm not sure if it's ineffective or just slow, but Toriko's post-anime manga sales aren't so much different from pre-anime numbers.

On the other hand, AoEx of SQ, while having really bad ratings for its anime (time slot issue maybe? who knows...), have explosive growth to its sales figure. It now actually sells more than Toriko, despite being a younger and less exposed series.

We're getting another new Toriko Volume in June, and the result should tell us more.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
There's legit confirmation to back up HxH's return this time. I'll repeat what I said months ago: I'm happy for the fans to finally get a chance to read the series again. Hopefully Togashi-sensei will put in his all for those patient fans.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
While I dislike Toriko's author, I'm not really a Toriko hater (as some might believe). That being said, I'm not sure if it's ineffective or just slow, but Toriko's post-anime manga sales aren't so much different from pre-anime numbers.

On the other hand, AoEx of SQ, while having really bad ratings for its anime (time slot issue maybe? who knows...), have explosive growth to its sales figure. It now actually sells more than Toriko, despite being a younger and less exposed series.

We're getting another new Toriko Volume in June, and the result should tell us more.
Bad ratings, really? I heard it got a 4.0% for it;s premiere, which is pretty damn impressive
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, for not being in a major slot, it sounds like Ao no Exorcist is doing ok. I don't know a ton about Japanese ratings though. But that's pretty good, just not high enough to be in the top 10 or so, which still doesn't mean it's doing bad.
But of course, it's not going to run long-term because it's based on a monthly manga. The manga itself only has like 27 chapters, right? It'll probably go a Tegami Bachi route.

And like I said, with Toriko, it's not gonna get super-popular all of a sudden. The biggest manga in Jump all took a long time to get as popular as they have. Even Bakuman has had a season of anime. Toriko's doing as well as Mago even though that's already had a season of anime. In sales, Toriko's done extremely well for a series that hasn't had anything outside the manga than anything else in quite a while. Especially for an author that hasn't published anything for over 6 years, as opposed to Bakuman which came out relatively not that long from the end of Death Note, which also had an anime, and those couple other series Obata did (Essentially, it started off strong because of its popular authors, then just went up). Records don't go back that far on Oricon's site, but most series that have like 300K-500K+ in sales had long running animes before they got that popular.

Some series get really popular all of a sudden and some do so gradually. It depends on what they're about and how they're advertised. Toriko comes off to be as the kind of series that gradually develops a larger fanbase, which seems to be the way Shuueisha is pushing it to be.

And I really hope that announcement of HXH coming back does come soon. That'd be exciting. It's been about a year since the last one ended, now. But like a lot of people said, it's the kind of thing that sells really well as tankoubons but doesn't score well in the TOC because of how infrequently it shows up. It's more suited to long-term readers. It usually sells like 800K-1 million each volume I think.
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Toriko has been doing very well within WSJ in terms of ranking, but its reception elsewhere (ie. 2ch) is pretty brutal- mostly because of the controversy surrounding Shimabukuro-sensei a few years ago. A large portion of Toriko's fanbase seem to be children going by the fact that they're more likely to send postcards and have their votes weighed more as mentioned a few pages back. (I have a feeling that the series with the spin-offs in Saikyo JUMP have a predominantly young readership.) Children are absorbed by the manga itself and don't care much about who made it.

However the older audience who only buys the tankobon of a manga might be feeling judgmental because of the mangaka. I'm not sure how big the scandal was when it broke out, but it could be a factor why the tankobon sales aren't indicative of the popularity it has right now. /two cents
 
Last edited:

meeedoooz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
624
Reaction score
310
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
Some series get really popular all of a sudden and some do so gradually. It depends on what they're about and how they're advertised. Toriko comes off to be as the kind of series that gradually develops a larger fanbase, which seems to be the way Shuueisha is pushing it to be.
with all the pimping and relating it to one piece and so, how could you say that they are pushing it to develop popularity gradually ? they did every thing they could to make it a mega hit quickly even if it's by using one piece's popularity... i do hate the mangaka and that's why i will never read it and i hope bakuman , gintama, HxH and of course bleach get better ranking than it every week :D
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because Toriko didn't get an anime for quite a while, not until chapter like 130. Most other shows get them earlier. One Piece I think was around chapter 100. That's the kinda thing I mean by "gradual". But now they're promoting it a lot. Same with I think Gintama.
The other thing, is you need to realize that most of the most popular series have had movies and games and long running animes. And that's what made their popularity so high. For having an anime only a few episodes long and half a movie, Toriko's doing really well right now and has a big potential for growth. Plus it's a great series.

And that's really shallow to not like a series because you don't like something the author did. It's not like he was praying on children or something. He solicited a prostitute that ended up being underage, once, which happened like 9 years ago. It's not exactly something to be proud of, but it doesn't make him a bad person, IMO. And it doesn't have to do with the manga directly. But I don't wanna get into a moral debate on here.
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico

kewl0210 wrote:

And that's really shallow to not like a series because you don't like something the author did. It's not like he was praying on children or something. He solicited a prostitute that ended up being underage, once, which happened like 9 years ago. It's not exactly something to be proud of, but it doesn't make him a bad person, IMO. But I don't wanna get into a moral debate on here.
First of all we aren't angels, I list I know I am not, so I couldn't really judge him.

Second, I personally don't know if Shumabukuro did or didn't do X or Y, I have heard of false accusations before in my country (Mexico) and Japan (Heck, I even read in sankakucomplex that some times japanese girls accuse people of chikan falsely so they pay them)

Third, the article I have read don't really mention it like that, this one IMO the article made it sound like he knew the girl was 16, I also recall reading the news in an anime/manga magazine from back in 2002/2003 and the magazine made it look like the guy knew..
Now call me a pedophile if you will (Which I am not) but I find these kind of laws very stupid.. and with lots of legal loops, but I know these rules are to regulate child prostitution which SURPRISE is not regulated!! But yeah don't wanna cause a moral debate, is just that Japan has lots of prostitution, its common from what I have read..

Saying all that, I am not japanese so I don't know how they would react to all this, and I am pretty sure he must be losing at least some potential fans from this act. Personally I think he was brave not to change its pen-name (Even if fans would make conspiracy theories of him being Shimabukuro because his style is very.. identifiable)
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Bad ratings, really? I heard it got a 4.0% for it;s premiere, which is pretty damn impressive
And everything after that are unavailable, meaning it didn't even break 1.2%, the lowest rating show with available data.
 

97gsxminus1bolt

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
44
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And that's really shallow to not like a series because you don't like something the author did. It's not like he was praying on children or something. He solicited a prostitute that ended up being underage, once, which happened like 9 years ago. It's not exactly something to be proud of, but it doesn't make him a bad person, IMO. And it doesn't have to do with the manga directly. But I don't wanna get into a moral debate on here.
Ended up being under age? LOL I bet it was his first time too!! 80,000 yen???? No way he didnt know.

Somethings are acceptable this is just one of those times when its not. The guy shouldn't be writing in jump PERIOD. Personally I think its strange the media hasn't made it a huge thing in japan.


Also isn't toriko the lead-in for one piece? It should be pulling in huge numbers.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
While I'm never going to have a particularly high opinion of him (to say the least), I'm willing to separate it from his work since it happened years ago, he's served his sentence and nothing's happened since then.

But I can't blame anyone for not wanting to support him, everybody's going to judge as they see fit.
 

SoulEaterFreak

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
93
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Could that be the reason there are...no "hot" girls in Toriko? I mean...compared to One Piece, Bleach etc? Personally I think it's a great achievement for a manga to become so popular with only the Story+Art and without fan-service. (my opinion) .

I think the same as 97gsxminus1bolt:
80,000 yen???? No way he didnt know.
The thing I hate most are people who do such things and, maybe, if I've had known that before I started to read Toriko I wouldn't have read it, but for me it is a really good manga - independent of the mangakas wrongdoing.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I prefer to keep what he did in the past and his current and future endeavors manga-wise separate. He already faced the consequences of his actions and served his time. I'm not interested in penalizing a person even more if the crime they committed has already been dealt with.

If he can move forward without causing anymore trouble then thats alright in my book. Toriko is a fun series and I rarely ever think of his past when I read or discuss it.
 

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Bleach is 7th from the bottom this week, lol
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
753 ohana ◆IR7jauNn4E sage 2011/05/18(水) 15:42:52.11 ID:+mnlNnRhP

表紙 巻頭 トリコ
ワンピ
銀魂
ナルト
スケット
一休 C
バクマン
べるぜ
めだか C
マジコ
黒子
いぬまる
リボン
エニグマ
ブリーチ
こちかめ
ぬらり
戦国
メルヘン
保健室
ドイソル

25号 バクマン巻頭
Issue 24
Toriko (Cover, Lead CP)
One Piece
Gintama
Naruto
SKET DANCE
Ikkyuu (CP, 25Pages)
Bakuman
Beelzebub
Medaka Box (CP, 23Pages)
magico
Kuroko no Basket
Inumaru Dashi (CP, 17Pages)
Reborn
Enigma
Bleach
Kochi Kame
Nurarihyon no Mago
Sengoku ARMORS
Meruhen Ouji Grimm
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
DOIS SOL

Issue 25 Cover: One Piece/Lead CP: Bakuman
CP: Reborn, Enigma
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
man, we have a dense list of ranked series this week. Good to see Magico holding on at #7, and... well... you can totally see which series about football will die horrifically in the short future, at least.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Wow. That's brutal. I never thought I'd see Bleach in the bottom half two weeks in a row. Kubo: Plot, NOW.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top