Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
why do you all want remakes? are you crazy? It would be better to do some original animes and not adaptions of mangas, old thing, games, light novels and so on.

code geass 1/2 were great, so why not give animation studios the chance to be creative?
Because this is the WSJ thread, so it would be hard to talk about original anime here and it be ontopic :sweat
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
What I'd want to watch:

-Houshin Engi, definetly.. I would love to see the animated Chou Komei battle chapter where there is the gag of the new FujiRyu serialization (Chapter 102, pages 1-5)

-Dragon Quest: Dai No Daiboken, though it probably won't happen.. Such a great manga which anime adaptation ended prematurely.

-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure I don't know why this hasn't gotten an anime, I mean it has a fan-base, a very established one at that, I.e. Kaiji or other Fukumoto works are produced, I have head they don't sell tremendously well or have very good ratings but there is an established fan-base there who constantly buys the DVD/BD well enough to support the release, its the same with Jojo, actually scratch that, Jojo must have a bigger fan-base than that, right?

-SLAM DUNK Other one I never understood, back on its time, being the best-seller manga of ever, why not make OVAs of the parts that weren't animated?? I know OVAs might not have been as popular back then, but heck even a 26 episode series for the final game.. Anyway no need to remake everything, IMO just make the last arc and that'd be it.

-Hikaru No Go I don´t think it will happen, it could have happened 2 or so years with the release of the kanzenban, but 2-3 OVA episodes with the last arc would have been good IMO.

-Shaman King I don´t think this would happen neither, it could have happened with the Kang Zeng Bangs, maybe as OVAs or something.. But it just didn´t happen, and I don´t think any anime studio would try to reanimate the entire thing.

Also.. Other mystery for me, the first series from Shimabukuro "Leader Takeshi" was doing extremely good, I always wondered why it never got an anime, I mean it was constantly ranking TOP 3 back on its day, it run for 5 years before the "Child abuse scandal" and most WSJ mangas get anime adaptations by the first 2-3 years, but not this one.. Does anyone know why? Has anyone read this manga? Maybe it had some weird humor?

At the end of the day, so far only best seller mangas have been threated with this "Re-doing it" threatment, I.e. Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon ball, Hunter X Hunter and in some extenct Rurouni Kenshin (We don´t know if its just the Jinchuu arc or the entire thing re-animated, IMO its gonna be just Jinchuu) and Inuyasha. HXH, Ruroken and Inuyasha are big hits from the 90s which didn´t got entirely animated.. Probably that´s the demography the studios want to hit right now, people born around late 80s-early 90s which read/watched this manga/animes and now have money to spend.. So other mangas from around this time might get re-done or at least their endings. Mmm.. Any idea for some mangas from say 1990-1999 which didn´t get completely animated?
I am thinking Ninku which I never understood why was it so popular.. Maybe a cult-hit or something?

EDIT: I don´t want to be completely off-topic, BLEACH is low.
Also, is this the issue with the new chapter of HXH or is it the next one? Have spoilers appeared yet?
 
Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi got an OVA that aired at one of the old Jump Anime Super Tours . I think way back in 1998, and they might've given out VHS's as a promo, but something from that long ago isn't gonna easy to find. I bought all the wide-bans and am reading them now. And yeah, it was really long, something like 250 chapters, and was really popular in its day. Dunno why it wasn't given a full anime. After it got canceled in the middle, it eventually finished running in Super Jump. Shimabu also did a short series called Ring a couple years later in Super Jump. Also, it wasn't "child abuse" it was "child prostitution".
Both the Wide-bans and Ring have a lot of these things where Shimabukuro talks about stuff, dunno if he addresses that. I'll let you know. I think I'd like to translate/scanlate Takeshi at some point in the future when I have more time. It'd require scanning the whole thing though, too.

Jojo is really popular and has a huge fanbase. It's the like 6th longest running manga of all time, too. It had 2 OVAs. Oddly, the first one was in 1994 which was the second half of Part 3, and later in like 2004 there was one of the FIRST half of Part 3. Overall though, they still cut a lot out that was in the manga for just that part. Apparently Part 6 wasn't very popular, but Part 7 has been extremely so. Selling around like 200K while on the Oricon charts. Probably a lot more in the long term because it has a big fanbase who's been reading it since the earlier days. Also, there was a movie of Part 1 that cut a lot out that was released in 2007 and never released on DVD for some reason.

The TOC we get tomorrow should have HXH in it.
 
Last edited:

quaresma

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Messages
31
Reaction score
5
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I would like to see a anime adaptation for Enigma's manga.. It's to soon, but still.. One season with 24 or 26 episodes, but not now, it's to soon..
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of anime...the JUMP Festa OVA's for this year will be announced soon right? If the Medaka Box anime being done by Gainax is true, then they should be doing the OVA as well right? Wonder what the other OVA'll be though. Kuroko is the only other series without an anime with enough content...though since it;s just an OVA they could possibly do one for Enigma...of course I don;t know how it works.
 

meeedoooz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
624
Reaction score
310
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
is naruto a pirate too in this cover ? :D :D this will be one hell of a week... the secret power itachi gave to naruto will be recealed + the return of Hxh and the new twist in bleach... what a week this will be :D ( on another note naruto looks alright as a pirate :D ), the cover says that one piece is thier best selling manga and luffy is the ( king ) and toriko really is the new member of the big three without any doubt... i wounder if the mangaka"s" themselves draw the covers ?
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well its been clear for a while now that Jump has pretty much been trying its best to cultivate Toriko enough for it to replace one of their bigger hits. The phasing out/decline of Ichigo in these group covers just helps to feed the perception.

Perhaps Ichigo can have his spot back when Naruto finally ends.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
We've seen Toriko edge Bleach out of the cover spot before so let's refrain ourselves from making repetitive remarks about what's pretty evident at this point. Thanks!
 

NANAhashi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
From ohana, #36-37 TOC
表紙は ルフィ トリコ ナルト

巻頭 ワンピ
トリコ
バクマン
ナルト
ぎんたま
ハンターC :D:D:D:D:D:D
すたーず
鏡の国
ムラハガネC
こちかめC
リボン
スケット
めだか
いねまる
べるぜ
くろこ
えにぐま
ブリーチ
マジコ
ぬらり
花咲

37号 ブリーチ巻頭
ハングリージョーカーC
ぎんたま C
スターズC
By the way, I'm just curious, if there was 3 series on the cover, like this issue, they all are ranked, or not??
 
Last edited:

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Jump #35-36 (08/08):
Rufy, Naruto & Toriko (Cover)
One Piece (Lead Color)
Toriko
Bakuman
Naruto
Gintama
Hunter x Hunter (Color Page)
ST&RS
Harisugawa in Mirror world
Munehagane (Color Page, GFC Entry #4, 47 pg.)
Kochikame (Color Page)
Reborn!
Sket Dance
Medaka Box
Inumaru Dashi
Beelzebub
Kuroko no Basket
Enigma
Bleach
Magico
Nurarihyon no Mago
Hanasaka Ikkyuu

#37:
Bleach (Lead Color)
CP: Gintama, ST&RS, Hungry Joker (GFC Entry #5)
 

d3ad3r

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
36
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Ikkyu is pretty much done for from the looks of things...
Magico is following the same path...
Hopefully ST&RS won't share the same fate. It even gets a CP next issue! That's a good sign, right?
Glad to see Toriko and Bakuman so high though xD
 

Geddy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
3rd last place in a row for Hanasaka.

It's a shame, it was a relatively good series. Good to know you.

I feel bad for Nurarihyon still doing poorly, even after the 2nd season of the anime starts. Hopefully Hagoromo Gitsune will improve things.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Bleach getting the CP next issue is completely deserving. Because if anyone read Bleach's spoilers today, knows exactly why. :plot:dancin
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Pure rankings:

01. Toriko
02. Bakuman
03. Naruto
04. Gintama
05. Reborn!
06. Sket Dance
07. Medaka Box
08. Inumaru Dashi
09. Beelzebub
10. Kuroko no Basket
11. Enigma
12. Bleach
13. Magico
14. Nurarihyon no Mago
15. Hanasaka Ikkyuu

4 more chapters till ranked: Harisugawa in Mirror World
3 more chapters till ranked: ST&RS
 

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
So ST&RS is doing well, the 7th chapter will have a color page..
 

7sun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
47
Reaction score
3
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Ohhh come on. Why is enigma that low? I'm really :darn
Sket Dance can stay at this place, I'm satisfied with that.
But when I see... No..no I don't unterstand the voters sometimes XD
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
didn't it was the same with magico at the beginning? don't think that colour pages early show affection of the reader, more like the hope the editor places in the series.

enigma barely in the bottom five and bakuman second, good thing!
 

Goty

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
29
Reaction score
9
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
By the way, I'm just curious, if there was 3 series on the cover, like this issue, they all are ranked, or not??
They're not, only the lead color (in this case, One Piece) is unranked.
Anyway, whenever there's a group cover it usually counts as One Piece's, with Luffy always on the front.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Enigma's just grazing the bottom five this time. HxH is going to be an anchor, so I'm not worried about it at all.

Magico isn't doing that well. It was popular initially though, so it could rebound again.

Bleach is still in the bottom five, and I am happy to say that Kubo has finally caved in to the rankings. It will be interesting to see if Bleach instantly rises to the top three, or if Bleach fans have given up on the series completely.

Speaking of the top three, that cover has got to hurt. Maybe Kubo heard what was on the cover before writing the chapter, and that's why he decided to do what he did.

ST&RS is still fairly high. Most new series gradually drop to the bottom if they're doing poorly, so things are looking pretty optimistic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top