Manhwa Noblesse by Son Jae Ho and Lee Gwang Su

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the welcome phio!!!

The only theory I've got right now( which I also mentioned in the chapter discussions thread) is that I believe the Union execs to be The Nobles that left and betrayed the Lord. I mean It would make sense for them to hide themselves and hide their prescence amongst the humans and would also explain how their organisation seems to be influence and power in so many things in the human world, as stated by Frankenstein.

I dunno if this theory had been mentioned before, so forgive me for repeating if it has :sweat
 

UchihaHunter

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
858
Reaction score
437
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hello! I just started reading this last week and I'm hooked! I have to thank Omnion_1990 for cluing me in when I asked about his avatar...Rai is epic, Frankenstein is hilarious, and the RK-4 just win! Hahaha, it's been a while since I've read something so fun with good combat as well.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
[move]:turtle[/move]

Welcome goldb and UchihaHunter to the world of epicness that is Noblesse :cookiehand. It seems Noblesse fanbase is increasing. I am looking forward to see you guys more active in different threads.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I wonder if this manhwa has the potential to be a classic...so I'm curious what people think not just about this, but I'm curious about the idea of classic as well...
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To be honest I'm not sure if my understanding of classics is correct. :XD You mean it's like old series which set a stepping stone to lots more similar series like them? Or does it have a different meaning? :3
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,521
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
“A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.” ~ Mark Twain

I love that quote, but i define a classic as "A masterpiece that can be enjoyed for generations to come.". As opposed to something that is only really enjoyable to the generation it was marketed to. I think a Classic is identified by it's quality and it's ability to endure the test of time.:amuse

---------------------------

I think Noblesse, so far at least, doesn't seem like the kind of thing with classic potential.

Don't get me wrong, i love Noblesse and i think it does a large number of things exceedingly well, but it took about the first 100 fairly unfocused chapters for Noblesse to really establish itself. Unfortunately, no matter how perfect it is from here on, that slow beginning is always going to hold it back a little. So i think it will be hard for it to become a true masterpiece.

That being said, i think Noblesse does have the potential to influence many other series for the better, because it has done some stuff with regards to it's characters and story telling which defies the standard manga/manhwa methods.

  • Noblesse trusts it's artwork to convey many things that other series force themselves to say openly.
    A lot of times in manga and manhwa authors don't trust thier ablites to convey emotion through characters faces and posture, which forces them to make characters come out and say everything or use thought bubbles to lay out what they are thinking. Noblesse trust's it's artist to convey subtle things and, not only does it work better than the more conventional methods, it also enriches the overall dialogue because there isn't so much fluff packed into it.
  • Noblesse avoids flashbacks.
    Most comics drown themselves in flashbacks, sometimes making a whole arc a flashback. This is mostly done because the author is making stuff up as he goes along and needs to create "history on the fly" or is not satisfied with just having a character explaining what happened. Noblesse refuses to take the same approach. Characters may "talk about an event" but almost never "see the event". Which is a much more subtle way of doing things and i think it works better.

Basically, i think Noblesse is a very special manhwa but it will have a hard time becoming a classic. Though, i think if it's ever turned into an anime it could easily become a classic in that genre. After all, if Vampire Hunter D can become a classic how could Noblesse possibly not?
 
Last edited:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Don't get me wrong, i love Noblesse and i think it does a large number of things exceedingly well, but it took about the first 100 fairly unfocused chapters for Noblesse to really establish itself. Unfortunately, no matter how perfect it is from here on, that slow beginning is always going to hold it back a little. So i think it will be hard for it to become a true masterpiece.
True, the beginning might have been a bit slow and unfocused. I think most series have a slow beginning? They need time to introduce the characters and show hints about the plot after all. I was interested in reading Noblesse more because it has a different organization than other series I've ever read, considering that Noblesse was my first webtoon and first manhwa in general. So maybe it's going to be hard to capture the attention of someone who's frequent on this world of webtoon and manhwa. XD
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,521
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
True, the beginning might have been a bit slow and unfocused. I think most series have a slow beginning? They need time to introduce the characters and show hints about the plot after all. I was interested in reading Noblesse more because it has a different organization than other series I've ever read, considering that Noblesse was my first webtoon and first manhwa in general. So maybe it's going to be hard to capture the attention of someone who's frequent on this world of webtoon and manhwa. XD
Your right most series do have the same flaw, but i would say it gets in they of them becoming classics too.

The beginning of a series is arguably the most important part for snagging new readers. Which matters a great deal when you consider somebody reading it say... 10 years from now.

And i'm not sure that can be blamed on it being a webcomic or manhwa. I've read a good bit of both i haven't noticed them starting any slower than is typical of manga. In fact if i was to rate an overall difference between manga and webcomics/manhwa that i've noticed is art. I think for some reason overall the korean art is better, i have no idea why that would be; but it is what it is.

-----------------------------

By the way on a slightly different note i started reading another webcomic that seems like it might have some potential. It's called "Paladin".

It has stunning artwork and a solid amount of humor, though i'm not sure exactly where the story is going yet(only 14 chapters so far) Seems to be a funny blend of sci-fi and fantasy.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
The definition of Classic may vary with person to person. I do agree what Jammin and Phio said above. Noblesse quickly became my favorite due to most of the factors that I have already stated. And as Jammin said, Noblesse does not have bundle of dialogues to portray a certain situation. The ability of the artist to make it understandable us is really appreciable. For me, the less dialogue, also added more Sophistication to the characters, especially Rai <333333333333333 and Franky <333333333333333.

Off-topic *sorry* : Jammin I have created a thread for Paladin few days back. There is another series you may want to try A Fairytale for the Demon Lord.

[c]Made a response in the manhwa hangout[/c]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,758
Reaction score
26,067
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Noblesse will reach 200 chapters next Tuesday (Korean Time).

Does anyone want to do anything special for the 200th chapter?

I'm not sure if the author or artist will do anything special but I figured we should at least celebrate in our own way.

Any Ideas? If not we can just treat is as another chapter. :p
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To be honest I was thinking about this 200-chapter achievement before. My random idea was to compose an e-mail containing members opinions of the series so far and what they wish to see at the upcoming chapters. I'm sure the authors would love to see some support from the readers. It would be even more awesome if we can write in Korean. XD

It might be too complicated to do, though. So if anyone else has more ideas, do let us know! <3
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,521
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would suggest trying to set up an annual character popularity poll. See if we could get and accurate ranking of the top 5 or top 10 most popular characters. Like the magazines such as shounen jump occasionally do.

Not sure how you would go about polling that though.....:oh

--------------------------------------------

I suppose you could do a broad poll with all the major characters listed, and give everyone like 10 votes then measure out the top 10 from that.

Then do secondary polls to resolve any ties.
 
Last edited:

lawrence

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2011
Messages
88
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Noblesse Q/A Thread

the current lord has a soul weapon, otherwise 1) she wouldn't be acknowledged as the lord 2) she won't have proof that shes the PL daughter.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,758
Reaction score
26,067
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Noblesse Q/A Thread

the current lord has a soul weapon, otherwise 1) she wouldn't be acknowledged as the lord 2) she won't have proof that shes the PL daughter.
Information regarding the current lord and her soul weapon has been revealed in the past chapters.

1) Seems to be correct in that Ragnarok is a symbol of the lord.
2) The clan leaders, Raizel, Franky were all aware of her has the previous lords heir.
She's been refereed to as the princess when the old lord was in charge. So, the issue of not having proof, I'm not so sure.
 
Last edited:

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,758
Reaction score
26,067
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think this is the longest sentence Rai has ever said in this series:
http://egscans.com/Manga_Viewer/Noblesse_100-/Chapter_138

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I made a poll where you can choose multiple people.
I closed that thread since it was identical to an existing one, poll and all. :p

If you want to take votes from the older thread and modify your thread with a new poll, let me know.
 

lawrence

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2011
Messages
88
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
oh, sorry i did not know that. :o
 

lawrence

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2011
Messages
88
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Noblesse Q/A Thread

I was trying to reply without giving away any new information that recently come out. :o

[c]Added the comments in spoilers.[/c]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I would suggest trying to set up an annual character popularity poll. See if we could get and accurate ranking of the top 5 or top 10 most popular characters. Like the magazines such as shounen jump occasionally do.

Not sure how you would go about polling that though.....:oh

--------------------------------------------

I suppose you could do a broad poll with all the major characters listed, and give everyone like 10 votes then measure out the top 10 from that.

Then do secondary polls to resolve any ties.
Well, as Charlie had said, there is actually a poll about popular characters like what you suggested. Favorite characters, that is. XD But thanks for the idea! Perhaps someone else has another idea which can be merged with the information from the poll about popular/favorite character? Or an entirely new idea? <3
 

Host Samurai

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1,367
Reaction score
677
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Noblesse Q/A Thread

There is something seriously bugging me and that's the fact that I still don't know, if Frankenstein is able link his mind with others? Because IIRC Crombell of all people was able to do so, when Mari was killed by Frankenstein.
 
Top