Demographics: Seongin (Seinen) Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance Publishing Status: Ongoing Writer: KIM Sarae Artist: KIM Sarae On MH: Magician / manga updates Groups Editing: Easy Going Scans
About the Story
In the village of Adatt, Iremi, the tomboy granddaughter of a local witch, sees the infamous mage Edermask en route to her hometown. Wanting to find out who's stronger, she sets off to challenge him with his childhood friend Enzu, a novice swordsman who's always being dragged around wherever she goes… However, in the background there is a war going on between the two powerful nations Teodorl and Aleumhan in order to rule the sea!
See manga updates > Magician for additional introduction.
Personal Note: This is story rooted in adventure, fantasy, mystery, fantasy with some Romance elements. Without spoiling too much, I will say that the main character is a man wanted for over 300 years! If you like to read a series with any of these types of genres mentioned above, please read Magician. It is very enjoyable and the art work, scenary and fights shown throughout the series draws you to the series.
I read the serie for the art which is nice and original for a web-comic but the plot is a bit to RPG like for my taste.
For those who want to try it, the serie seems an old one from naver and the Edited Manga are still far behind. So don't expect regular update like for Noblesse and Tower of God.
Edermask is a beast, it raises more questions on who he is. I forget the girls name that he is fighting currently but it was nice to see her fight the way she did. At least near the end she has shown to me that she has some principles that were worth fighting for.
---------- Post added September 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was September 01, 2011 at 06:10 PM ----------
Chapter 68 and 69 are out from eg scans.
I liked chapter 69 a lot, it gave a slight history lesson of sorts about edermask and what his influence or power means. The question about Janus and how he became the hero is also interesting. Cant wait for the next chapter.
---------- Post added September 23, 2011 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was September 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM ----------
Magician chapter 70 is out from eg scans. Get it from there.
Reading it now.... Good manhwa! Andi think i choose the right moment to start reading since some mystery may be revealed now.... That Janus guy obviously know from where the imortals (him and edermask) are.
D and his talking sword finally make an appearance. We’ll we’ve seen a little bit of them before. I wonder what they want since they also have an interest in Edermask.
Ethan is really getting better as a character, i almost don't want the brat to kill him anymore! After all, someone has to do things like he does when the country is at war and being manipulated by some bastard in the shadows!
I'm still reading, but it isn't one of the best webcomics out there.... The plot seems slow now and the characters are not that charismatic, that Enzu just pisses me off! I get the feeling the story is good but the author should show more others plots....
I'm still reading, but it isn't one of the best webcomics out there.... The plot seems slow now and the characters are not that charismatic, that Enzu just pisses me off! I get the feeling the story is good but the author should show more others plots....
Well slow pace seems to be something typical from web comic, it's also part of their charms. I like the art of magician and it gives him a particular atmosphere. As for the plot, it's true it's a bit conventional. However, the current chapters seems to be interesting to test the current potential of the children.
Wasn't too slow moving, it's not too bad. Kind of reminds me of dungeons and dragons or Lord of the Rings. The art is defiantly different than any other art out there but I find it enjoyable for this reason.
I like the art and I can handle slow pacing but the Edermask character isn't someone I think I'll ever be able to really invest in. He's got nothing that really pulls me in.
For a while the other characters were like that too but over the course of the series Enzu and Iremi have endeared themselves to me. The sense of growth with them and the character dynamic they have with the rest of the cast is good enough to keep me reading; but Edermask himself is somebody I really just don't care about. I realize he's supposed to be somewhat anti-heroic but I don't feel like I've been given enough reason to have a rooting interest in anything he does.
I just caught up on Magician after not reading for a while.
My opinion of Enzu and Iremi continues to soar and my opinion of Eldermask and his whole storyline continues to drop like a stone. This series is ok as is but just imagine for a moment if Eldermask got killed off and there was a time-skip of like at least 4-5 years. I think this series would be soooo much better. Have Iremi be the "Magician" with Enzu as her main traveling companion, she's pretty much carrying the series as it is anyway. There are more than enough story threads to build off of.
Because this Eldermask versus his equally overpowered evil twin business is like Aizen versus Aizen; no matter who wins the audience loses.
---------- Post added July 12, 2012 at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was June 22, 2012 at 03:40 PM ----------
I'm up to chapter 177 now and I think I can finally recommend this series. It took a while to really get going but starting but at around chapter 150ish things finally started moving.
The reason for this is 2 fold.
1st Eldermask's back-story finally is getting slightly developed and is actually beginning to show some deeper emotions than he has up until now.
2nd There seems to be a very real chance Eldermask will leave his companions. Which is good in my opinion because, even with the recent positive work with his character, Enzu, Iremi, and Mattew would be more interesting without Eldermask around. So it's addition by subtraction.
In many ways the Magician up until now has been a kind of a spiritual successor to Berserk. But unlike Guts, who was a well developed Byronic Hero(meaning heroic but also arrogant, scornful, and such), Eldermask is a far less well developed anti-hero character with a benevolent and paternal streak. To me that has always been the thing holding the Magician back from being as good as Berserk. In fact I think other character comparisons of similar characters actually look favorable for the Magician in my opinion.
I like Iremi's character more than Schierke's
I like Enzu's character more than Isidro's
And with recent plot developments I feel like things are finally going somewhere that the series can make full use of it's strengths and really take things to another level.
---------- Post added July 14, 2012 at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was July 12, 2012 at 09:37 AM ----------
After reading 180 the final chapter of Volume 1 I would like to amend my opinion of this series once and for all.
The Magician is @#$in' great!!!!
The pacing maybe be slow but the place it ultimately gets to so is amazingly stunningly fantastically good. This series is a MUST read now in my opinion.
Well with your last posts I may restart especially since the new Edited Manga team is making huge progress at the moment. I stopped at the end of Natasha arc if I remember correctly. Like you I found the pace terribly slow, honestly 150 chapters...
It's a bit like crepuscule, the plot seems to finally starting to get somewhere.
Well with your last posts I may restart especially since the new Edited Manga team is making huge progress at the moment. I stopped at the end of Natasha arc if I remember correctly. Like you I found the pace terribly slow, honestly 150 chapters...
It's a bit like crepuscule, the plot seems to finally starting to get somewhere.
Man, stopping at 150 is the equivalent of walking through the desert and collapsing 10 feet from an oasis.
Trust me, read on. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that, in my opinion, The Magician's recent run has had 2-3 of the top 5 best emotional moments in manhwa and manga of 2012 thus far.
(The only stuff I can put over it are some recent parts of The Breaker NWs and Gintama)
Haha the end was really sad, and i was so intrigued at the end a few days ago i started reading part 2 of the series. Im so looking forward to it with a grown up enzu and iremi
Haha the end was really sad, and i was so intrigued at the end a few days ago i started reading part 2 of the series. Im so looking forward to it with a grown up enzu and iremi
Just throwing this out there to prevent any possible "slips" Please, if you mention absolutely anything you've seen ahead of the Edited Manga do it in spoiler tags. I fanatically wait for the scans and it kills me a little inside every time I hear the slightest hint about what's coming ahead of that.
Is there or isn't there a time skip coming? I don't want to know the answer to that until the chapter comes out in english.
But yeah I can't wait for whatever is coming next.
Well how was it? You got to see enzu grown up like 2 days after i posted. Kinda surprised its actually been 8 years time gap. I thought it was only 3. But it makes sense for them to get so big.
Well how was it? You got to see enzu grown up like 2 days after i posted. Kinda surprised its actually been 8 years time gap. I thought it was only 3. But it makes sense for them to get so big.
This series in the space of 20 chapters did just about everything I could have hoped it would. I seriously can't think of a single thing that could have been done better, and can't wait to see where it all goes from here.