Re: What is One Piece?!?!
I've always found the kanji for One Piece interesting. It's "ひとつなぎの大秘宝", Hitotsunagi no Daihihō. Daihihō simply means Great Hidden Treasure, but it's the Hitotsunagi that's interesting. I've been told by a Japanese person that it means, like, a ring, or a necklace, "hito" being "one" and "tsunagi" being "connection", so like, one connection. So maybe it's something that's supposed to connect all living things together or connect the history of the world together into an understandable circle. But since "hitotsunagi" is written in hiragana, "hito" could also mean "people", so it could also mean (in that wonderful way that Japanese can be so ambiguous) the Great Hidden Treasure that Connects People Together... kana?
I believe there was also an interview once done by Oda-sensei where he said one of his goals in making One Piece was to make a manga with the greatest ending ever, so I somehow doubt that One Piece is simply some trick by Roger or "friendship" or "adventure". But I don't remember where I read that so I'm sorry if that's not even true.
Personally, I believe One Piece is some piece of information or some tool. I've always thot it was way too convenient that there JUST happens to be the Calm Belt and the Grand Line and the Red Line, etc., just to make this long race to Raftel, so I'm wondering if maybe the World Government made the world this way to keep people away. Or when they destroyed whatever the lost country was, the world was turned into this shape, waiting for someone to reclaim One Piece and join the world back together into a whole ocean and planet. But if that's the case, I don't know why Roger didn't do it, but I still like the sound of it.
If what you said is true about "ひとつなぎの大秘宝", then that support my idea.
I have this idea for a long time. It is, One Piece is or refer to the long lost World History.
Cause the History is the thing that bond people together(in many way).
The history always wrote by the winner. Even in the real world, as you grow up,
you will find out that there are always a fake information or reason that add to make your side or your country look reasonable to do a terrible things. In One Piece case, it this world government. When they think they can control the whole world then one man appear.
When Roger set sail he didn't aim to be a Pirate King at all, he just want to change the world(one piece vol.61, page can't remember). Finally, Roger reached Raftle where the true History that must not be tell was hidden. The government felt fear of him, so they called him Pirate King to make people fear him, spot him. Whatever they did to Roger, it just calls a justice that should lay upon the criminal.
(This kind of concept just make me think about World War II. When the US bombed Japan with Nuclear)
The moment before Roger died is the moment that he reached his goal, to change the world, finally he turns the world up side down.
Also, I don't think the world government is a bad thing, there must be a reason behind their action. One piece always shows that nothing good or bad. Just live on, go on to the future you desire, and you have to be strong to survive and achieve it.
(PS. Sorry for my poor English)