Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Really? I didn´t see it in S-Manga.net preview, but it´s a very good new ^^

http://www.s-manga.net/newcomic/future/
I also did check s-manga when I found the news and they didn't upload it, yet. S-manga often makes changes, so they might change in future.
 

redon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
1,758
Reaction score
17,721
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I also did check s-manga when I found the news and they didn't upload it, yet. S-manga often makes changes, so they might change in future.
Yeah, I see the information and edited my last post, sorry :p
 

KiMiTo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
345
Reaction score
578
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

And in 2012 with 10 issues, it was 4 times 4th and 2 times 5th.
What? You got wrong source, dude.
Check here - http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/
The series with Cover Page, Color Page and Lead Color Page aren't ranked .
In 2012 Naruto didn't drop from top 3 so far.
 
Last edited:

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Haikyu!! Chapter 1 Colour Pages





 
Last edited:

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

That art style looks familiar, but I can't place it. Did the mangaka have a previous series?
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

What? You got wrong source, dude.
Check here - http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/
The series with Cover Page, Color Page and Lead Color Page aren't ranked .
In 2012 Naruto didn't drop from top 3 so far.
My source is the first page of this thread and I said I use the real rankings. If the rank of the color page doesn't count for the serie itself, I disagree with increasing the rank of the others. Your post clearly shows that it induces a bias. Having Bakuman CP 4th and Naruto 5th is different from Naruto 4th and Bakuman CP 5th. And in issue 7, Gintama rank counts, it only had the cover not the color page.
So sorry to disappoint you, but Naruto was more out than in the top 3 in 2012 so far.
 

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

That art style looks familiar, but I can't place it. Did the mangaka have a previous series?
Yes, he did Kiben Gakuha Yotsuya Senpai No Kaidan.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Yes, he did Kiben Gakuha Yotsuya Senpai No Kaidan.
i must say that you can still his art style and that it suprisignly suit the series, kinda unexpected...
 

KiMiTo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
345
Reaction score
578
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

If the rank of the color page doesn't count for the serie itself, I disagree with increasing the rank of the others.
You can't disagree what is fact :cookiehand
So sorry to disappoint you, but Naruto was more out than in the top 3 in 2012 so far.
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it seems that you are blind.
2012:
Issue #1 - Naruto 3rd
Issue #2 - Naruto 1st
Issue #3-4 - Naruto (Lead CP)
Issue #5-6 - Naruto 1st
Issue #7 - Gintama (Cover), so even if it counts, Naruto is 4th
Issue #8 - Naruto 3rd
Issue #9 - Naruto 3rd
Issue #10 - Naruto 3rd
Issue #11 - Naruto 1st
Issue #12 - Naruto 3rd
So what did you say about "Naruto was more out than in the top 3 in 2012 so far." :teehee
 

gananime

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2011
Messages
105
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
India
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

This are the ranking number of naruto in 2010 and 2011 TOC
PHP:
place	1st	2d	3d	4th	5th
2010		4	20	20	1	0
2011		5	10	14	13	3
And in 2012 with 10 issues, it was 4 times 4th and 2 times 5th.

Note : I took the real ranking including the cover page

I think it is pretty clear, it has fall down, much more than One Piece at least
What ranking are you using? I used the TOCs given at the start of this thread and counted,here's what I got about Naruto.
2011:
1st place:11 times
2nd place:13 times
3rd place:15 times
4th place: (only) 2 times (#30)

Rest are either CPs or Lead CPs which are un-ranked.

Agree with KiMiTo
 
Last edited:

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

i must say that you can still his art style and that it suprisignly suit the series, kinda unexpected...
Have you read/looked the chapter 1?
I haven't read/looked chapter 1, but I didnt think his art style suited the one shot.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

OK I forgot you called real ranking this system which shift places, then I used the original ranking which includes the color page. This way is more accurate as, like I said before, it makes a distinction between a real 4th place and a 5th place after a color page.
If the color pages were always at the same places, both systems would be equivalent but it is not the case. So when Jump decides to put a color Bakuman in 4th before naruto when most of the time first color page is ranked 6th or higher, it has significance. The reader will have to read 4 series before reaching Naruto, that's what the fact is.
Anyway whatever the system, it does not change the figures much. ganamine and mine are almost the same. My point was that Naruto dropped in 2011 and you can not contest that.
 

Inumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
412
Reaction score
285
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Does anyone have the 2ch rankings for the issues 10 and 11?
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Jump Issue #13 Preview



New Series/Lead CP: Pajama Girl (54P)
Center Colour: Haikyuu!! (25P), Reborn!, Medaka Box
Absent: One Piece

Pajama Girl Colour Image



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In every new issue preview, jump has the names for every series in a little box with the exception of series that are getting colour pages and series that place at the top of the toc. Most of the time, the names are in random order but on some occasions they actually match the TOC. The preview for this issue looks like it could very well be a match.

Here is the POSSIBLE!! TOC for Issue #13 (without Center Colour's)

Pajama Girl (New Series, Lead CP)
Naruto or Toriko
Toriko or Naruto
Bleach
Sket Dance
Beelzebub
Gintama
Nisekoi
Bakuman
Kurogane
Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky
Inumaru Dashi
Kuroko no Basket
Kochikame
Nurarihyon no Mago
Magico
Hunter x Hunter
ST&RS
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

From a Beelzebub fan's perspective, I guess this confirms the Japanese readership prefer it when its more gag than action.

From someone who casually watches Nurarihyon no Mago...why is there such a descrepency between its volume sales and its rankings? I know its been discussed before, and considering I read D.Gray-man I should know better, but it still boggles me. >_> At least with D.Gray-man, I post-rationalized it as having a large female fanbase who don't buy/read Jump. But with Mago, I don't think that's the case.

Hm, that reminds me...do you guys think there a correlation between how popular a Jump series is and how big of a female readership it has? (Sorry if this is an obvious question, but as a woman I'm curious to know what you guys think)

Does anyone know what Pajama is going to be about? :sweatdrop
 

Suzaku

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
809
Reaction score
1,217
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Nura had an anime series on air in Japan from July 2010 to December 2011. That may have given the tankobon a boost in sales from people who watch anime but don't read Jump.

I couldn't really say how female readerships play into popularity, except that WSJ really doesn't have a huge readership outside of its target demographic, so I'd guess that if a Jump series is popular with female readers they're likely to follow the tankobon releases. From my own limited observation, popularity with female readers seems to have a lot to do with the artwork and bishounen characters in the series, and it seems that series with female mangaka are also more likely to have a female following. Fantasy series also seem more popular with female readers than "fighting" manga.
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I couldn't really say how female readerships play into popularity, except that WSJ really doesn't have a huge readership outside of its target demographic, so I'd guess that if a Jump series is popular with female readers they're likely to follow the tankobon releases. .
Well I don't know how you define huge but WSJ has a female readership of 20%. That makes around 600 000 female readers of WSJ.

From someone who casually watches Nurarihyon no Mago...why is there such a descrepency between its volume sales and its rankings? I know its been discussed before, and considering I read D.Gray-man I should know better, but it still boggles me. eatdrop
My personal theory is that Mago simple isn't anything special. It neither generates feelings of love nor hate. It is one battle manga under many. You know how the voting process works in WSJ? You vote for the 3 series you liked the most. I simply believe that Mago is not one of those 3 favorite series for most people and therefore doesn't get many votes. However people like it enough to buy volumes but not enough to vote for it.
 

Suzaku

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
809
Reaction score
1,217
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I wonder, does anyone ever translate http://www.shonenjump.com/j/weeklyshonenjump/index.html when it's changed every Monday when the new issue is release? I just felt like translating it for fun...

This Week in Weekly Shōnen Jump No.12 ★On sale now!!★

Commit to love! Commit to the club! Blow away the boring daily routine with dramatic youth: the first serve of a new series!!

High Kyū!! by Haruichi Furudate

Series Intro
The anime's production is going smoothly!! Center color!

Kuroko's Basketball! by Tadatoshi Fujimaki

Series Intro  Manga Online
The new arc accelerates!! Center color in appreciation of its popularity!

Nurarihyon no Mago by Hiroshi Shībashi

Series Intro  Game
Finally, a head-to-head confrontation between Naruto and the masked man!! And then...!?

Naruto by Masashi Kishimotoi

Series Intro  Manga Online  Game
At last, the start of a new arc!! What's that—Toriko's ability is...!?

Toriko by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro

Series Intro  Game
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

From someone who casually watches Nurarihyon no Mago...why is there such a descrepency between its volume sales and its rankings? I know its been discussed before, and considering I read D.Gray-man I should know better, but it still boggles me. >_> At least with D.Gray-man, I post-rationalized it as having a large female fanbase who don't buy/read Jump. But with Mago, I don't think that's the case.
Analyzing Mago's "downfall" in the TOC is not an easy case. It had great ratings until the end of the Kyoto (or Hagoromo Gitsune) Arc, after that the series slowly fell down to the lower half of the TOC and never recovered. I'm not going to be as harsh as Josl, I do think that Mago is something different from other Jump mangas, f.ex. it's pretty dark for a WSJ series. Fact is that the end of the Kyoto Arc was dragged and that a lot of fans got bored with it. It's another fact that it rarely has the quality and the charm of the mid-Kyoto Arc nowadays but the rating often seems inadequate, which leads me to the theory that most fans just aren't as hooked/interested anymore as they were back then, very similar to the trend here on MH were the section slowly died too. The series is still good though so it was able to maintain most of it's (long-term) fans, who are willing to buy the volumes.

Hm, that reminds me...do you guys think there a correlation between how popular a Jump series is and how big of a female readership it has? (Sorry if this is an obvious question, but as a woman I'm curious to know what you guys think?
It depends on the case but the female readership definitely has influence on the popularity. Series like Reborn attract a lot of female fans because of all the male Bishounen, while Toriko most likely won't have such a big female base because it's portraying men in a very "manly" style. It would be unfair to reduce the female readers to a bunch who only looks after the drawings and the possibility of relationship between "hot" men but it does play a very big role.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top