Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Guilty-pleasure confession time -


Most people say it's a total chick-flick and that it disappoints since it isn't a true Western but I still like that movie a lot. Won an Oscar for Best Cinematography.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
My sisters love this movie and are always raving about it. I should check it out too :thumbs
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
My sisters love this movie and are always raving about it. I should check it out too :thumbs
It's a total chick-flick, I'm not going to deny it at all. Full of angst and drama, but I still like it for some reason :fail
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Anthony Hopkins and Bradders being in it is enough for me to watch it, plus the movie title has "Legends" in it, which means it has to be good right? :imslow

Ok so I'm planning to do another double cinema session today(I think), I gotta decide between John Carter, Safe House and 21 Jump Street. So far Koen and ghostexiled have championed John Carter, which if they hadn't would've made my choice easier...
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'd go with John Carter out of curiosity and 21 Jump Street
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
no thoughts on "My Week with Marilyn?" I'm very curious about it.
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
Here's the full length of the last trailer (yesterday) of Prometheus, prequel of Alien, by Ridley Scott.

If you don't want to be spoiled too much, be careful here, they're showing a bit too much in my opinion. I think I already have a grasp of the overall plot... -_-'

Edit : if you don't want to see this video but still want to see a trailer, check the other one I just added, below the first one, it is also considered as the last trailer (lol) but I think there are less spoilers and is more intriguing.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Just found another trailer, less spoil (better in my opinion), more intriguing :

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yes, Damon Lindelof writing, Ridley Scott. Easily the movie I'm looking forward to most this Summer :hee
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
And a fricking neat cast. Rapace, Fassbender, Pearce, Elba. This will be the film of the summer. :nod
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
So Michael Bay is making a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Where the Turtles aren't turtles mutated due to a toxic waste, but friggin' space aliens from another planet. He's made an official statement to the fans: "Take a breath and chill."

I never was a huge Transformers fan when I was a kid so I didn't really care much about Michael Bay's Transformers-movies being total shit, but TMNT was one of my favorite shows when I was younger... I just... Damn you, Michael Bay.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
So Michael Bay is making a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Where the Turtles aren't turtles mutated due to a toxic waste, but friggin' space aliens from another planet. He's made an official statement to the fans: "Take a breath and chill."

I never was a huge Transformers fan when I was a kid so I didn't really care much about Michael Bay's Transformers-movies being total shit, but TMNT was one of my favorite shows when I was younger... I just... Damn you, Michael Bay.
I think pretty much everyone I've spoken to(me included) has had the same reaction regarding that news. Sometimes I'd just wish they'd leave our childhood memories alone.

Anyways the most recent film I saw on Gary's recommendation is Michael Clayton starring George Clooney and Tilda Swinton. I've really grown to like a few of George's movies, last would be Up in the Air which was just as good as this one but a different sort of story.

What I enjoyed most was the way the storyline and timeline functioned(flashforward of some sorts); by starting near the end and show you "the incident" that the character is involved in then taking you back to show he got to that point; so then throughout the film you're trying to guess what it is that got him there. Now that mechanism is not new and it can be seen from numerous movies and tv shows but it was handled very well.

I also appreciated the fact that amidst the main plot, the Michael(the main character) had a background and his character was well fleshed out so you could understand some of this decisions in that regards.

A mention Tilda Swinton's character Karen Crowder who played her role very well in being the antagonist of sorts but a very different one in the sense that her decisions were rash, awkward and filled with nervousness but she portrayed that well and the scene after the gym where's she contacted and the end scene captures that in all its essence.

Now Arthur Edens; the man who causes all of the main plot to unfold; Tom Wilkinson is FANTASTIC!!! dunno if I'm the only one who appreciated him as a crazy person but wow. He really had my attention whenever he was on screen from the boardroom scene with the video to the scene in his apartment whilst replaying the video on tv and the conversation with Michael's son where they're speaking on the phone and he explains the story of a book to him about a dream that was being shared by many people(IIRC?)

Sorry for the rambling but those are just some of the points about the film that I wanted to mention, it just goes to show you the lengths big companies are willing to go to in order to complete a deal or achieve a target.

Score: 8/10
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Saw 30 Minutes or Less yesterday. I'm a fan of Aziz Ansari comedically (Parks and Rec ftw) and Jesse Eisenberg is a good actor. The movie was alright, it had some funny moments, but it was a bit of a letdown. The entire premise was pretty weak, and just didn't seem convincing.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
So Michael Bay is making a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Where the Turtles aren't turtles mutated due to a toxic waste, but friggin' space aliens from another planet. He's made an official statement to the fans: "Take a breath and chill."

I never was a huge Transformers fan when I was a kid so I didn't really care much about Michael Bay's Transformers-movies being total shit, but TMNT was one of my favorite shows when I was younger... I just... Damn you, Michael Bay.
More could have been done with Transformers but sadly, they were barely ok to watch. I grew up watching Transformers and I was excited when I heard it will be made into movies. I was disappointed. Same goes for TMNT, I loved that show and I am afraid, it will no different from Transformers.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
So apparently there's been a few Hunger Games fans who were disappointed by the casting of black actors for certain roles. Here's the article:

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Now, I've never read the book but going to see the movie tonight, but it seems from the brief description of the characters in the article that the casting goes with the book.

Thoughts?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
21 Jump Street is a must-see if you're a fan of comedies. I like Jonah Hill a lot, but I wasn't sure what to expect from it. It didn't disappoint, and Channing Tatum was surprisingly good in a comedic role. It has a great cast, and it's easily one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Easily funnier than The Hangover in my opinion.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I watched The Hunger Games last Saturday. I was so wrong about the movie. I was expecting a tasteless movie setting in dystopian near future. It turned out to be quite opposite. The action was befitting according to the setting of the movie. The movie reminds me of Roman Gladiators X Sci-Fi. The blend was very nice. Some deaths were emotional enough to make you share a bond with the characters. In short, I would recommend it highly.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I watched The Hunger Games last Saturday. I was so wrong about the movie. I was expecting a tasteless movie setting in dystopian near future. It turned out to be quite opposite. The action was befitting according to the setting of the movie. The movie reminds me of Roman Gladiators X Sci-Fi. The blend was very nice. Some deaths were emotional enough to make you share a bond with the characters. In short, I would recommend it highly.
Same here, I watched it last night. I've never read the books but heard a lot of good things about it from friends but I was still a bit sceptic about it. The action scenes where really fun to see and there's even some comedy in it. It also has a very strong cast with Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci, Lenny Kravitz, Elizabeth Banks providing support to the main cast. The girl who played Rue(dunno her name) was a really cool character :amuse
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
On tuesday I finally saw Iron Sky. It's sci-fi comedy about nazis who evacuated to the darkside of moon just before WWII ended. Now it is 2018 and they are coming back!

As a short back info, this film is finnish german production. The core team consist of finnish dudes, who created the cult hit parody Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning. With basicly zero budget they created very impressive special effects in an indie production, with close to non previous experience. This served as business card for Iron Sky. They managed to scratch together the budget. Much thanks to the fans, crowd funding. These guys managed something near impossible. A finnish large scale sci-fi film.

On to the actual film. It was brilliant! The concept itself is oddly hilarious. The comedy carries through the film, combining slap stick, gags, some darker humor and subtle parodying. Indeed, the film is full of little references to classical films, current world affairs and even memes. Not only in picture, but also in sound. It also includes lot of political satire, as the president of the United States and UN council have major roles. In my opinion the most hilarous moment of the film indeed happen in the UN council room.

The cgi for the film is breathtaking. I have huge respect for the CGI supervisor Samuli Torssonen of Energia company. This totally amateur artist created a world class effect workshop from nothing. Especially all the spacecrafts and their battles look amazing.

The film ain't completly without flaws though. The script could have used some work. The pacing didn't quite work at some parts of the film. I hear the original cut was almost hour longer than the theatretical release, so that could explain why some plot elements feel bit off and why the characters, especially the hero, fall a bit flat. Still, it is extremely entertaining a fresh film and admirable achievement. I really recommend checking it out if it is avaiable on your area!

 
Last edited by a moderator:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I'm watching the Godfather now. God, I love this movie and the sequel.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
its one of my favorite movies.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top