Seinen - Ran to Haiiro no Sekai by IRIE Aki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Ran to Haiiro no Sekai by IRIE Aki

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Ran to Haiiro no Sekai (Ran and the Gray World)
By: IRIE Aki
Genre: Supernatural, Slice of Life, Comedy
Serialized In: Fellows!
Mangaupdates

Meet the Urumas, a slightly dysfunctional family of four sorcerers. Mom, being the most powerful sorceress around, works away from home keeping the world safe. Dad picks up the slack and takes care of the family. Except when he's out, which is when the older brother Jin finds himself in the unenviable position of keeping tabs on his sister Ran. And Ran, the youngest, is a willful girl with too much power and too little wisdom. Let's take a look at Ran's everyday misadventures, shall we?

Nice looking series. Chapter one had a nice sense of humor with good pacing. Ran and her brother Jin both seem like interesting characters, the only ones featured so far. The writing and art reminds me of Katou Shinkichi, with a little 70's shojo references in the art. Very promising.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [New] Ran to Haiiro no Sekai by IRIE Aki

I checked this out too (based on the fact that it was a Storm in Heaven/Kotonoha joint project :XD) and I wasn't disappointed. The Katou Shinkichi feel was definitely there, although it's hard to tell much from just one chapter. But I'm optimistic. This looks like it'll be a lot of fun and I can't wait to read more. :amuse

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [New] Ran to Haiiro no Sekai by IRIE Aki

I read it for the sole reason it was a joint between those groups, I didn't even read the synopsis. Same goes for Kotonoha's other new project Miyori no Mori (which I also highly recommend).

The soft, rounded feel of the art is what reminded me of Katou Shinkichi. Especially his work in Obrigado. Something about Ran reminds me of updated 70's manga, a vibe I get from his work too. I love the protagonist too. The petulant, slightly spoiled, and way to strong for her own good heroine is always fun. I'm wondering what everyday life for a family of wizards is like too.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I read the first three chapters available and i'm very pleased with this series.The art and the pace are kind of exceptional,but i love it.I hope they scanlate the whole two volumes.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I brought my Ran sig back ^_^

I've enjoyed the first few chapters. I like that it's more of a slice of life manga than supernatural. Their powers seem to be more symbolism for being eccentric than super power, at least so far. What really interests me is how hermetic their world is. So far we have not met anyone outside of Ran's immediate family. No neighbors, no friends, no classmates or co-workers.

I'm sure both volumes will be scanlated. It might take a while but they could end up catching up one of these days. They seem to be doing about a chapter a month. It's a bi-monthly series, I'm sure there are less than 20 chapters so far.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Is chapter 8 the latest chapter around??

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Indeed, very sad. This manga would be better if it concentrates on the magical aspect of it. It will be more colorful, it feels that those bursts of magic are little and the slice of life dominates more. I think the females in that aspect will be driving the story more, still the costume and character design especially of the female characters here is top notch. I just feel the magnaka needs to concentrate more on one genre.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
It's a fun manga, but much like with Otoyomegatari the publication is way too slow to keep track of.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's a fun manga, but much like with Otoyomegatari the publication is way too slow to keep track of.
Agreed, it is a difficult thing because the opinion of the manga will form over months and weeks, and we will not see the story progress. Slow releases have a devastating effect on the opinion of many good manga they either get forgotten or are rated badly due to these circumstances.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Is chapter 8 the latest chapter around??
There are three collected volumes, not sure how many chapters that leaves. Some of the short stories from Irie-sensei's one shot collection Gunjo Gakusha have also been translated.

I don't really like reading manga by the chapter that much so bi-monthly releases do not bother me that much. If I lived in Japan I doubt I would buy Fellows anyway, instead I'd just wait for new volumes of Ran, Otoyomegatari, and Wolfsmund.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I just read the entire volume 6. wow it's getting to be such an awesome manga with so much promise! :zomg what happened to the glasses guy, is he going to be the new villain???

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I caught up with this series recently. It was on my to read list for the longest time. I was just waiting for some chapters to build up. It was thoroughly enjoyable. LOVE the art. The characters are great too. Especially Ran and her mom. I really like the slow, slice-of-life type story with just the right amount of plot progression and the perfect balance of comedy and drama. This type of series is made for me.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Matt you would probably like Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru; if you haven't read it yet. I'm almost caught up with it (8/10 books) and it is so enjoyable.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Matt you would probably like Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru; if you haven't read it yet. I'm almost caught up with it (8/10 books) and it is so enjoyable.
That series has caught my eye in the past, but JManga has the digital license for it and I just can't bring myself to pay for digital only releases. It doesn't feel like ownership.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
there's an anime of that though, i think it was way back in 2011? but that's beyond the topic at hand. :p

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
That series has caught my eye in the past, but JManga has the digital license for it and I just can't bring myself to pay for digital only releases. It doesn't feel like ownership.
Yeah I get that 100%. I'm lucky in that I've done work for Jmanga along with the same people who did SoreMachi; so I have access to the files. Just finished the 10th and most recent volume yesterday, I'm gonna miss it. :(
Hotori and Josephine are amazing.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yeah I get that 100%. I'm lucky in that I've done work for Jmanga along with the same people who did SoreMachi; so I have access to the files. Just finished the 10th and most recent volume yesterday, I'm gonna miss it. :(
Hotori and Josephine are amazing.
Wow. My words rang quite true. Now that JManga is shutting down and you won't be able to read the books you bought, I'm really glad that I didn't invest in SoreMachi....

------

On topic, chapter 17 is out and it's pretty amazing. Thing got pretty heated there for a minute(no pun intended). I can't quite tell if Outarou is evil, or just selfish. I know I don't dislike him and I can't blame him for being captivated by Ran. And I wonder what he will do when he finds out that Ran is actually a child? I hope that aspect of the story doesn't get dragged on forever. It could quickly become one of those annoying plot points that should be easy to resolve, but is unnaturally extended for whatever reason.

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
really? where's the chapter at? :wtf