Anime A Hunter x Hunter Movie

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always thought Gon was the protagonist, Killua the deuteragonist, and all four of them main characters. It's cool to think of the profession as a main character thought. Makes sense.
I think it's both in a way. Hunter x Hunter is about Hunters. Gon could die and the story could continue.
However at the same time, Gon seems to be a primary character we focus on. We are following Gon's journey.
But then Gon's journey is I think a catalyst for the journeys of other hunters: such as Killua and Kurapika.

To me, Hunter x Hunter is more than Gon finding Ging. It's about the hunt.

"Hunting for your dream" kinda fits it rather nicely. Because isn't that what everyone is doing?
Even Kurapika is hunting for his dream of revenge. Except his dream of revenge is a nightmare.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, I think Gon is definitely the protagonist but the story as a whole is more about the entire Hunter world than one particular character.

As a result he appears in every arc, but isn't always in the spotlight. Sometimes he's just an accessory to someone else (like Killua or Kurapica) while they do their thing.
 
Last edited:

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I see Gon as the primary protagonist, Killua secondary (or deuteragonist), and then Kurapika and Leorio as the other two main characters. The focus on the story is being a hunter, but there is also a focus on our main characters achieving their goals as hunters. The overarching story is about Gon finding his father, but we also get to see how his journey affects him, his comrades, and shapes his views about the world (and this can be extended to Killua as well, who is tagging along to help Gon find his father and figure out what he wants to do.)

With that said, although I'm happy to see Kurapika again, I'm also a little disappointed by the story not being about the four main characters. The foursome travelling together is something I'm looking forward to seeing in the manga again, and it makes me kinda sad to think that it may never happen again. And if Gon and Killua are going to be sidelined, what will happen with Leorio? :(
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,372
Gender
Male
Country
France
Everyone should remember that the main character in HxH is not Gon...It's the "profession" of being a Hunter. So all the story is related directly of what it means to be "a Hunter".
:confused:How can a profession be a character?Hunting is important in HxH this is what the main characters and others do the most of time because it's the main subject in the manga.

Yeah, I think Gon is definitely the protagonist but the story as a whole is more about the entire Hunter world than one particular character.

As a result he appears in every arc, but isn't always in the spotlight. Sometimes he's just an accessory to someone else (like Killua or Kurapica) while they do their thing.
I think it's because Togashi likes to take his time.For example we have Leorio,we hadn't not seen him since York Shin arc and Hisoka has more apparitions but he is still considered as a main character.Killua is my favorite character but i am a happy to see him disappear for a while, Togashi really developped his character in every arcs since he encountered Gon.I don't think he will have so much character development now:(, contrary to Leorio and Kurapika(now that Killua disappeared,those 2 appear suddenly) and especially Gon,i really want to see his encounter with Jairo.

Do you guys remember this picture?



It's your turn now! And we see Kurapika with a suit.Togashi knows what he is doing:zomg.
 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
With that said, although I'm happy to see Kurapika again, I'm also a little disappointed by the story not being about the four main characters. The foursome travelling together is something I'm looking forward to seeing in the manga again, and it makes me kinda sad to think that it may never happen again. And if Gon and Killua are going to be sidelined, what will happen with Leorio? :(
I guess we won't see Leorio in the whole movie.:gwah
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,372
Gender
Male
Country
France
I just read this on the wiki:
The Scarlet Phantom is set around the Phantom Troupe and the Kurta Clan. Kurapika is stated to be the main protagonist of the story, while Gon and Killua take a backseat.

Is it true?
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
How it can't be? Togashi is trying to deconstruct tropes all the times. If the characters were those 4, the manga would have ended already since Gon found Gin. And nope, it did not. It still goes on since the hunt of Ging the hunter is revealed. The manga is always pointing how special are hunters, how unique.
You can see that in every Hunter we know from close.

Hunter is the character, really.
 

riniloves

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
224
Reaction score
179
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
Just thought of something...

What if Kite flashback is around the same time as the Kurta Clan massacre?
My answer, Gon is 8 yrs old thisi time.... he is 11 (I guess) when he leaves the island..
Kite flashback happnes here

while the Kurta tribe massacre happens when Kurapika is 12-13 yrs old
and is clear he says here 4 yrs agao

answer to your question... no.. not around the same time...
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
How it can't be? Togashi is trying to deconstruct tropes all the times. If the characters were those 4, the manga would have ended already since Gon found Gin. And nope, it did not. It still goes on since the hunt of Ging the hunter is revealed. The manga is always pointing how special are hunters, how unique.
You can see that in every Hunter we know from close.

Hunter is the character, really.
Maybe it's because I'm just not a voracious manga reader, but I think this is the only well-written manga I have read where the story doesn't depend on whether the main characters achieve their goals. It will still go on regardless of whether they die or not. FMA could have been like this, but it still followed Ed as the protagonist pushing the story forward. Though I think it works well that way.

Basically, Togashi's a genius. But we already know that.

I guess we won't see Leorio in the whole movie.:gwah
Nuuuuuuh I'll cry now.
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I guess we won't see Leorio in the whole movie.:gwah
Hopefully, we'll get a post-credits scene of Leorio studying in cool pose, then turning his eyes slightly to the camera, maybe smirking, and then declare something to this effect:

"Noobs."

Like. A. Boss.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Looks...INCREDIBLE.
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Now... that's an impressive! poster.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Amazing poster!

And the 4th member of Phantom Troupe is involved, the predecessor of Hisoka. Maybe he will be the main villain of the movie.

I think the white text says:
その持ち主は誰!?
瞳に映る4番の蜘蛛!!
Google translation:
Who are its owner!?
No. 4 reflected in the eyes of a spider!!
 
Last edited:

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
What if the former fourth member of the Spiders (before Hisoka) is actually a Kurta clan member?

My overactive imagination's acting up again.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Killing his own clan, I've heard this somewhere :teehee
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's not also forget the Spider that was killed by Silva, I hope they appear in this movie as well.
 

fanatik

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
157
Reaction score
97
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
What if the former fourth member of the Spiders (before Hisoka) is actually a Kurta clan member?

My overactive imagination's acting up again.
Actually, that was the first thought that popped up in my mind, too, when I read the lines on the poster. It has a lot of implications because it was explicitly stressed in soushuu edition in Hisoka's profle that 'while there's a rule that one can become a member of the Ryodan by defeating and replacing a current member, it is unknown how exactly Hisoka got into the Ryodan'. Which means it was not confirmed the former No.4 is dead, rather whether (s)he's dead or not, as well as all the circumstances surrounding that mysterious No.4 was left intentionally ambigious. That opens up a possibility that a) that member was Kurta who betrayed his clan, or at least he had some deep connections with the Kurta tribe, and b) Kurapika really might not be the sole survivor of the clan.

Ah, I'm so excited about these mysteries! January can't come soon enough.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Killing his own clan, I've heard this somewhere :teehee
I apologize for being ignorant, but is this a Naruto reference? I sadly know nothing about Naruto (other than them having ninjas and Sasuke being an antihero of some sort), but my intuition tells me this is a Naruto reference.
 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
I apologize for being ignorant, but is this a Naruto reference? I sadly know nothing about Naruto (other than them having ninjas and Sasuke being an antihero of some sort), but my intuition tells me this is a Naruto reference.
You're right, it is a Naruto reference.
Sasuke's brother Killed everybody in his own clan, except for Sasuke.
 
Top