Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
it's not like anyone can guarantee that the mangaka is really involved. it's not like they just could slam the "story writen by mangaka" button on it, just for the hope of getting more money out of it. it's like the based on a true story movies.

besides, i never watched a movie based on a manga which felt incredibly great, writen or not by the mangaka.
 

BobLeNolife

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
94
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Ok.... now this is getting ridiculous.... What the heck is with this trend?? at this point, I won't be surprised if Kubo writes another movie next year. On another note, I expect that there's going to be massive parodies of this year's movies and a 4th-wall breaking moment where Gintoki declares the movie will beat this year's movies.
Kubo has always worked on the films, it's just that Studio Pierrot has never doing publicity with this unlike Toei with Strong World. After the SW success every Studio have seen how much good publicity it was, so they began to do the same, like The Hell Verse for Bleach, Road to the Ninja for Naruto, Fairy Tail the Movie: The Phoenix Priestess for Fairy Tail and now the Second Gintama movie.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well if the autor himself have a great idea and want to make it into a movie then this trend opens a good path to him or her.
otherwise if the trend is was pushes the author to make a movie, then its a pretty bad thing in my book.
Of course other may disagree, but I prefer to watch a manga-adapted movie only if the author actually has the iniciative of doing it, and not shueisha(to use a example) pushing them to do it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well if the autor himself have a great idea and want to make it into a movie then this trend opens a good path to him or her.
otherwise if the trend is was pushes the author to make a movie, then its a pretty bad thing in my book.
Of course other may disagree, but I prefer to watch a manga-adapted movie only if the author actually has the iniciative of doing it, and not shueisha(to use a example) pushing them to do it.
And Kaiten u seems out of pills these days xD
Fair enough, but there's no way of knowing what the motivation behind author involvement is. It's easy to say money, because that will always be a factor. There's a limit to what we as fans can know about the politics of the Author-Publisher relationship so there's no way of knowing. If it results in an extra week or two off...big deal, we're all leechers anyway.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Fair enough, but there's no way of knowing what the motivation behind author involvement is. It's easy to say money, because that will always be a factor. There's a limit to what we as fans can know about the politics of the Author-Publisher relationship so there's no way of knowing. If it results in an extra week or two off...big deal, we're all leechers anyway.
I know it can sound a bit odd, But I think the best example to ilustrate what I meant is the upcomming hunterxhunter movie. As I cannot see Togashi-sensei only doing his movie because he wants money, otherwise he would put more effort on the weekly manga(thinking that his point was money). He actually took a time off the manga to do the movie that he had planned a long time ago.
On the other hand I doubt most of naruto movies here done because Kishimoto actually had the initiative of doing them.
But yeah you are right, we have no right to judge them.

I didnt mean that togashi wouldnt do it for the money, of course he is human and money is always a interest, just that his main point to do the movie is because he wants to, not because he is actually wants or needs more money, in my opinion of course.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I know it can sound a bit odd, But I think the best example to ilustrate what I meant is the upcomming hunterxhunter movie. As I cannot see Togashi-sensei only doing his movie because he wants money, otherwise he would put more effort on the weekly manga(thinking that his point was money). He actually took a time off the manga to do the movie that he had planned a long time ago.
On the other hand I doubt most of naruto movies here done because Kishimoto actually had the initiative of doing them.
But yeah you are right, we have no right to judge them.
"Involvement" seems sort of ambiguous to me. Plus I doubt writing a story scenario is much more intensive than drawing manga week to week. And of course Togashi would do it for the money, who wouldn't? Not sure Togashi is the best example anyway since he draws at his leisure already.
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I actually heard that there was a correction in what's been going around in the internet and that Togashi actually has nothing to do with the HxH movie..
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I actually heard that there was a correction in what's been going around in the internet and that Togashi actually has nothing to do with the HxH movie..
Damn I was away for some time from the hxh foruns and this happens T_T
But lets try not to get off topic.
I used togashi just as a example, but my point of view still holds itself.
 
Last edited:

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I don't see the big deal behind it. Like Kait said it usually doesn't disturb the flow of the weekly chapters and it provides us with a real story of the mangaka - which most people definitely prefer and which at least have a good chance of turning out better than the usual made up movie.

Even if the staff pushes them it's not like they can force them, at least I doubt it. The mangaka has to have a little interest in working on a movie story or else it will turn out like crap anyway. The reasons behind that may be different from person to person but we cannot judge them - and that's not because we don't know them but because we should not judge them. They might do it for money or fame, maybe they see it as an interesting experience/experiment or they really, like what most people probably want, do it only for their fans. I understand all of these reasons so as long as the mangaka gives it his best and it turns out good that's what actually matters.

I feel like most people want a pure reason for most things/actions but let's face it, this is a business. Sure a pure reason would be nice and preferable but what matters the most is the outcome.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,557
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
To be honest, I didn't mean it (my statement) in a negative way. I meant it as something "WTF-worthy but awesome." I'm happy that this trend is continuing, but at the same time, I also can't help but worry a bit. I just don't know why, but I have a gut feeling.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Like Kait said it usually doesn't disturb the flow of the weekly chapters and ...
thats only the case if he has spare ideas already ready that would suit a movie and won't be needed for the manga itself, otherwise he will take his time to think about it, which means that it is time that he won't work on the manga at a already thight shedule, which could lead to mistakes, prolonged, unnecessarily chapters, fewer pages, fewer drawings, simple drawings, absences.

how much it impacts the manga is different for each mangaka, but you all look to me as it wouldn't take the mangaka time to work extra on a movie script, as if he would be bored otherwise.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
thats only the case if he has spare ideas already ready that would suit a movie and won't be needed for the manga itself, otherwise he will take his time to think about it, which means that it is time that he won't work on the manga at a already thight shedule, which could lead to mistakes, prolonged, unnecessarily chapters, fewer pages, fewer drawings, simple drawings, absences.

how much it impacts the manga is different for each mangaka, but you all look to me as it wouldn't take the mangaka time to work extra on a movie script, as if he would be bored otherwise.
But what can we do besides say "aw shucks" at an extra week off or two? It's not like the majority of fans wouldn't be interested in such a thing anyway.

I feel like you're nitpicking something about the business that is inevitable - maximizing profit. Now that's not really the mangaka's problem, that's the publisher's job. I feel like anyone who create some sort of work would love to see their creation adapted in some other way and especially be paid for it.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I feel like you're nitpicking something about the business that is inevitable - maximizing profit.
i just criticize the thought that working on a movie hasn't a effect on the work on the manga. i never said anything in regard of money, but i may have misunderstood you.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
In what way has Oda, Kubo, or Kishi's work on the movie effected their respective manga? What makes you think they even took time off for the movies? Oda and Kishi take a couple of weeks a year off anyway. Bleach has not taken any weeks off, except for Kubo's recent illness.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
i just criticize the thought that working on a movie hasn't a effect on the work on the manga. i never said anything in regard of money, but i may have misunderstood you.
Maybe I'm a bit scatterbrained with my thoughts. But I don't think I ever suggested it had no effect, but there's no real evidence of it as far as I can tell.

Now as far as this becoming a trend and the prospects of more weeks being taken off, to that I say oh well :XD If we're fans of a series we're either at their behest or not, that's up to us.
 

hisoga

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Kubo has always worked on the films, it's just that Studio Pierrot has never doing publicity with this unlike Toei with Strong World. After the SW success every Studio have seen how much good publicity it was, so they began to do the same, like The Hell Verse for Bleach, Road to the Ninja for Naruto, Fairy Tail the Movie: The Phoenix Priestess for Fairy Tail and now the Second Gintama movie.
this is a common mistake that i always see in the internet..before Hell Verse, the way Kubo work with the anime and movies studio is the same with other mangakas including Toriyama,Kishi and Oda.. same with Oda before Strong World.. same with Kishi before Road to Ninja.. what i mean is, it is typical for the mangaka's to design a new characters for the movie or give a little idea as a starter for the movie or fillers in the anime but they never work as much as they do in these movies like writing the script etc..

in Hell Verse, SW, RtN etc, those mangaka actually really take part in the production of the movies.. saying Kubo always work on the films is a myth..
 

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
3,207
Gender
Hidden
Country
Slovakia
this is a common mistake that i always see in the internet..before Hell Verse, the way Kubo work with the anime and movies studio is the same with other mangakas including Toriyama,Kishi and Oda.. same with Oda before Strong World.. same with Kishi before Road to Ninja.. what i mean is, it is typical for the mangaka's to design a new characters for the movie or give a little idea as a starter for the movie or fillers in the anime but they never work as much as they do in these movies like writing the script etc..

in Hell Verse, SW, RtN etc, those mangaka actually really take part in the production of the movies.. saying Kubo always work on the films is a myth..
Kubo always worked more than other mangaka on the movies. I don't think as much as this new trend (Road to Ninja, etc.) but still more. With FtB he went on and on about "his movie", with Hellverse he said he wanted his name removed from the DVD as Executive Producer because "he didn't work on that one that much". On FtB, he was Executive Producer too with which fact he was pleased. Shippers are pleased too
Credit to DB

Fade to Black
Like your previous work, in this year’s movie we heard you were involved since the early stage.

Around March I think it all started when the director Abe and the movie staffs came to me. From that time director Abe wanted a “Back to the beginning” theme and wished the main characters Ichigo and Rukia to be the focus of the story. On top of that he wanted to portray something that linked to the first chapter of Bleach, the original appearance of Bleach… For me, I was very happy to know that the movie was heading that direction and said “That’s good, let’s go with that!” And from there on I joined in the production and put together the story and the setting after discussing it with everyone.

We heard the scenario was completed after a lot of hardship?

The subject matter of the story is something I can agree with but there are still parts that made me worried until the end. Especially the speech in the last scene, I discussed and decided it with the director at the recording studio (laughs)
To tell you the truth there are still bits I wanted to develop but if I do that who knows how long the film would be (laughs)

Even the subtitle was given from you?

From the 2nd movie the subtitle was brought up by me. From the time when I first heard that the memory of Rukia will disappear an image came into my mind that Rukia’s memory of Ichigo and the gotei 13 will be disappearing. From there the meaning of “Disappearing into black” became the subtitle “Fade to black”.

You even came up with the Japanese subtitle “Calling Out Your Name”

After coming up with the English subtitle "Fade to Black” they asked me to come up with the Japanese subtitle (laughs) So after carefully digesting the scenario I searched for some scenes that can be the key word or words that I can use, and found that in the plot, someone calling out someone’s name, especially in this story where Ichigo calling out Rukia’s name was a strong expression that even though no one else remembers you I do, and I found out it had an important meaning behind it. So that’s how I came up with the subtitle “Calling Out Your name”

You were also in charge of deciding the original characters?

Yes. Like the character Kusaka Soujirou in the previous movie, in the first discussion we briefly decided the big sister and the little brother’s character was decided that during their childhood times they lived with Rukia and because of their power they managed to steal Rukia’s memory. Not only that but even though they are now siblings we were thinking about making them twins at first. If you think about it now the character we have now and the planning stage was very different.

How did you decide the setting of the 2 characters?

From my first impression that I felt, I drew their looks as I had an image of fire for the big sister and an image of water for the little brother. The first image that popped up into my mind was a character that has different eyes compared to other characters. Like a bird the black part of the eyes being big is a trait and because they were so attached to Rukia and had an image of “wWe will die without Rukia” I had an image of a baby bird in my mind and drew them. I remember I drew them pretty quickly.

Any other settings that you decided on?


Weapon and names. The weapon which is a sickle the little brother is using was taken from my suggestion. For their names the script writer Takahashi Natsuko-san asked me “While deciding the looks for the sister and brother please think of a name for them” and I agreed with “okay”.

You seen to make a fuss about names but did you have any difficulty coming up with their names?

Yes. Because the name of the sister and brother is an important point for the story I struggled a lot. For me usually when I am creating a character their looks and name just comes to me at the same time. And because of that I never struggled to come up with a name however, this sister and brother’s character was not created by me (he only gave them their name and looks) and on top of that since Rukia was going to name them I wondered what sort of name would she come up with… and the condition had to be the sibling’s name had to match each other so I thought instead of having a complicated name I thought its better to have a straight name. And naming them after daily happenings was what Rukia would have done and to give a soft impression I thought it was best to write their name in hiragana. After getting asked to come up with their name I thought about it for the next few months and finally decided 10 days before the voicing (laughs). It was all in the last moment but I think I came up with a name that suits them.

Is there a reason behind the names?

There is a scene with Rukia where there is a flashback of the sibling during their childhood times. A water lily that is wet by the morning dew opens up. So I researched the flower meaning of this water lily and it was “As long as you are here my pain would soften” and I thought this matched very well with the atmosphere in the movie so I created a little episode for it. At the start I discussed it with the director whether we should add this episode in the movie but he said “Considering the time, it’s impossible” (laughs)
So in the end both their names became different from water lily. I wish you too confirm both their names in the movie. This is a preview but me and the novelist of the Bleach movies Matsubara Makoto-san got excited after she said she wants to use that scene in her novel so I believe in the novel you are able to check some scenes that aren’t in the movie. Other than that in the novel version there are scenes that follow the movie like the details to why Urahara Kisuke decided to wear the captain’s uniform.

You were watching the voicing from the start to the very end?


This was my first time to witness the voicing from the start to finish. I try not to speak much during the recording but when the director or the music director needed help I gave them advices. The brother’s voice actor, Kamiya-san had difficulty with the intonation so I did help him with that.
You are putting a lot of effort into it
I was also part of deciding the original character of the second movie, Kusaka Soujirou however with him there were too many cross-over with the original manga there were many restrictions. But compared to that in this year’s episode, because the story took place before Rukia met Renji the existence of the siblings gave me a stimulating inspiration. And because of that I wanted to know how these two would open up a story and I was at the voicing studio until they finished. I had fun watching them.

Please tell us the highlight of the movie in your opinion

With the battle it is not Ichigo vs. Gotei 13 but Ichigo vs. Rukia. In the first scenario the last boss was not decided yet and someone raised the question “Then what will we do about the last boss?” and we thought if Ichigo forgot about Rukia we thought “We want to see Ichigo and Rukia!”. We then started the discussion from there. In this battle there is actually a scene that links with the very first chapter of the comic and in my opinion I feel as though that is the most important scene in the movie. It links to what director said “back to the beginning” .

Because you were involved in this movie were there any bits you drew thinking about the theme “Back to the Beginning”?

In my own thought I did not come up with the idea of drawing the scene where Rukia gives Ichigo her power like the very first chapter. So returning that scene in the movie gave me a strong impact and thought it was very interesting. On top of that because of this story I recognized once again that Ichigo and Rukia’s relationship is something special.

Q : it is said that on this 3rd movie project you put a lot more power than the previous work?
A : yes, in the previous work the diamond dust rebellion I've participated from the planning stage and the audience responses was good it makes me very happy. This time too I participated from the very start from the making of the rough plot, me, the supervisor, staff and producer are starting it together.

Q : it means this is you 2nd time participating on making a movie, compared to the last time d'you feel any difference?
A : this time I feel a lot more fun. Last time because it was my firs time I feel uneasy and as someone who works as a mangaka I don't like to talk too much and I feel it's better if I don't involved too much on the anime production. But this time after become accustomed with the same staff I feel like "I want to do more" and becoming more proactive on giving my opinions this time.

Q : the one who writes Rukia's letter is Kubo-sensei right?
A : yes, when it comes to making the quiz on Rukia's letter the staff asked for my help, when I drew it normally I thought "wow Rukia's drawing level has improved a lot!" (laughs)

Q : I heard in the original script you drew there's only 2 seeds on the watermelon?
A : at first I asked if they want a rounded watermelon or a sliced one, and they said to use the one which is easiest to recognize but it's not a big deal anyway since it's just a picture that will appear in a few seconds (laughs)

Q : the shinigamis reactions upon erased memories?
A : they asked me "is it ok if we makes Byakuya as someone who keeps/writes diary?" (laughs) and I thought making him writes diary isn't bad. But in the Mayuri backup memory scene at first they used something like a computer hard disk, I thought it looks too "mechanical" that's why I asked them to replaced it with something that will fits Mayuri's image as "mad scientist" more.

Q : this time there's Urahara's new technique "Kirisaki Benihime"
A : ah yes, the studio already said that they want to add a new technique for attacks and defending and they also asked for me to name it. The technique is something that havent used on the original work yet, it might appear later.

Q : in the novel it's revealed that the haori that Kisuke wears is borrowed from mayuri?
A : that's my idea, actually even in the movie I already wondered "why makes Kisuke wear a haori with no reason at all?" but Pierrot-san insisted "it's for fanservice!" I understand very well that feeling so I let it slip. Actually in the movie there's supposed to be a scene where Kisuke borrows the haori from Mayuri but because of timing problem it got cut. For the people who wonders why Kisuke wears taichou haori on the movie should read the novel.
 
Last edited:

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
This is a graph about the trend of the new series, from Enigma up to Sensei no Bulge, in their first 25 chapters (not all of them have reached).



Photo caption: Enigma; Light Wing; Dois Sol; Märchen Ōji Grimm; Magico; Sengoku Armors; Kikai Banashi Hanasaka Ikkyū; ST&RS; Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa; Kurogane; Nisekoi; Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Packy ; Hq!!; Pajama na Kanojo; Koisome Momiji (with ▲); PSI Kusuo Saiki; Sensei no Bulge
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
In what way has Oda, Kubo, or Kishi's work on the movie effected their respective manga? What makes you think they even took time off for the movies?
so you think that time magical appears? they already have a tight schedule and something around 6h sleep time with few free hours. there was a schedule going around the internet from sorachi around some time with this schedule. (that may vary from mangaka to mangaka, but we can say at least that they are quite busy writing the manga) this means that they need to put time off their manga to work on a movie. also don't forget that professional screenwriters write around 3-6 month fulltime on a single one, so i guess that even mangaka need more than a day for working on that, even if they already totally in their story and have a few ideas.



looks like it wasn't sorachi but someone anonymous.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top