Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes it sounds like a mixture of Sean Connery and Darth Vader lol which movie do you guys like the best out of Nolan's trilogy?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Third. Because I liked the culmination of the three movies. ^^ I liked the whole premise of "rise", the struggle to get to the light, all the subplots about positivity, that makes you really feel that everybody wants to "rise".
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Third. Because I liked the culmination of the three movies. ^^ I liked the whole premise of "rise", the struggle to get to the light, all the subplots about positivity, that makes you really feel that everybody wants to "rise".
You serious? Fair enough...

Bane was a great villain until the very end of the movie...the twist was incredibly stupid. Sure it makes sense, and it clears up some inconsistencies with Bane's backstory up until that point. It just completely turned Bane as a character on it's head. Wasn't a fan of it.

Was still a good movie and well done, but it wasn't going to be better than The Dark Knight in the first place.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, are there any films you've seen recently that you'd recommend? (not cinema films cos those are on my list).
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Do you watch Korean films? Maybe you haven't seen A Dirty Carnival yet? 'Coz I just saw it yesterday, and I must say I enjoyed it the whole time I was watching. The action was pretty good too, IMO.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
You serious? Fair enough...

Bane was a great villain until the very end of the movie...the twist was incredibly stupid. Sure it makes sense, and it clears up some inconsistencies with Bane's backstory up until that point. It just completely turned Bane as a character on it's head. Wasn't a fan of it.

Was still a good movie and well done, but it wasn't going to be better than The Dark Knight in the first place.
I agree,
I wasn't all that much of a fan of bane being a lackey either. IMO talia and bane being more of partners in the whole thing rather than bane being a subordinate to talia would have made more sense. I am not sure of what goal bane could have had in the movie in this case though. If they were equal partners perhaps it would have made less sense that he was willing to blow himself up with the city and adding a profit aspect to the whole thing would have been awkward(although perhaps it would have made more sense with the bane from the comic books). I guess it would have hypothetically been nolan's job to make us buy it though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Hey guys, are there any films you've seen recently that you'd recommend? (not cinema films cos those are on my list).
Audition. It's a japanese film...don't watch it if you're faint of heart though.

I agree,
I wasn't all that much of a fan of bane being a lackey either. IMO talia and bane being more of partners in the whole thing rather than bane being a subordinate to talia would have made more sense. I am not sure of what goal bane could have had in the movie in this case though. If they were equal partners perhaps it would have made less sense that he was willing to blow himself up with the city and adding a profit aspect to the whole thing would have been awkward(although perhaps it would have made more sense with the bane from the comic books). I guess it would have hypothetically been nolan's job to make us buy it though.
Spoilers dude! :XD

Yeah I wasn't thinking of Bane from the comics, just as how he was portrayed in the movie. It's weird, because I think for some reason he was more mysterious of a character than the Joker EVEN THOUGH we actually got a backstory for Bane and none from the Joker. There was something still about him...I don't think it was JUST the mask and the voice, I don't know.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My thoughts

The third movie was great, but not as satisfying as the second now that I've watched all three films again. Bane was certainly a fearsome villain; Tom Hardy did a excellent job considering all the hype and expectations. However, the Joker was definitely the more interesting villain at the end of the day. I could watch his scenes over and over again. The third delivered on the action sequences, the fighting scenes superb, the acting & emotion was top notch, the sound track was spectacular, but certain plot twists and plot holes almost ruined it for me. TDK was perfect in almost every way and it's hard to pick against that film.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Ah

Well he wasn't the only person who sneaked back in. The Special Forces guys did as well. We have no idea how he got back into America either :XD

And there was no specific explanation as to how he escaped the explosion either, assuming what Alfred saw was real life, and not a dream or something else. But the scene afterwards where Lucius found out the Autopilot was fixed six months ago by Bruce Wayne was clue enough that it had something to do with it.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Concerning The Dark Knight Rises...

I disliked how little time Talia got as a villain in the film. It was a cool twist, though I did kind of forget about it until she stabbed Batman. And I disliked how Bane was defeated. He deserved to go out with a (bigger) bang.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, bane was defeated as he would have been defeated in a coherent world lol. Who gets into a fistfight when there are guns(other than batman)? I would think batman would have thought of a better way to deal with batman though, one of his main attributes other than giving precisely 0 ****s at any given time is winning at all cost. Defeating bane is something which should have proven hard even at his prime.

There were a few things which could be considering inconsistencies to some degree. Mainly bruce wayne being stupid to the point of mental retardation although I will get to that later. The first important thing is the free slate program. First of all I would argue it can't be considered a program. It should be by all intents and purposes considered witchcraft. A program that deletes your name from every database anywhere? The first absurd thing about that is that a program which link to every database on earth is miraculous in itself. Its a program which ignores every firewall and protection software from every database on earth. And not just any databse but also any backups. Or what good is the program if it leaves information in some databse which is not connected to the internet? Or do we assume it literally does magic and the program ignores a lack of a connection to the internet?

Now we deal with the sheer stupidity which defined many aspects of the movie. Ok, for starters we have the little cold fusion reactor(it was just called a fusion reactor but given the non sun like temperatures of the core I am going to assume it was a cold fusion reactor). Setting aside that the movie pissed on our current understanding of physics the idea of hiding it from the world was ridiculous, at least given how I understand the situation. That fusion reactor would have effectively solved our emission problems and with it deal a significant blow against global warming. What that source of energy represented to the world is plainly priceless. He was afraid that the device could be used as a nuclear weapon but... so? The world is in itself plagued by nuclear weapons. Every mayor power in the world has enough of them as it is. The difference between real ones and the one in the movie was that the one in the movie effectively ended global warming. Not to mention the very possibility of an energy crisis in the future. Fusion alone would already make it so that we never run out of energy. Cold fusion in turn would violate the laws of physics so that humanity effectively has a source of actual infinite energy. So in the end batman destroyed the world's chances at INFINITE CLEAN energy because it could be used like the hundreds of nuclear bombs which already existed anyways.

What about the security at which he had this nuclear bomb. Can we saw there was some measure of security? The answer to that question, nope. If the bane from the movies actually tried to ridged a real life nuclear plant he would for starters fail misserably. Its not a matter of it being difficult even for him, its just plain just as impossible for everybody. Even if you got there there in a proper modern nuclear plant there would be an actual "off" switch which would prevent any damage is done to it (of course getting into an actual nuclear plant would have been pointless to bane as contrary to popular belief nuclear plants can't cause nuclear explosions). Bane could throw several airplanes at an actual nuclear plant and the thing would not even be scratched. In turn in the movie getting a few people was enough to get into the warehouse containing it. Basically, if bruce had given the thing to the government there is no way bane would have ever gotten to it. Even if he used the same witchcraft which created the program he would not have actually been able to do anything with it (the dreaded potential off switch, more security measures other than the fingerprints of helpless old people).

Then we have to consider the implications of pavel turning the thing into a nuclear bomb. If I recall, pavel was never actually said to have worked on the thing. If I do recall, pavel was just some scientist who independently wrote a dissertation about how fusion could be used to make a bomb. How exactly did he pull this off? Does it make sense that he would be familiar enough with the technology behind the fusion that he would know how to turn it into a nuclear bomb just by looking at it? Now, I could be wrong and it would turn out he was involved but that is by no means any less stupid. Couldn't the device have been designed so that turning it into a nuclear weapon would have taken more than 4 seconds?

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Concerning The Dark Knight Rises...

I disliked how little time Talia got as a villain in the film. It was a cool twist, though I did kind of forget about it until she stabbed Batman. And I disliked how Bane was defeated. He deserved to go out with a (bigger) bang.
Technically we found out talia was the main baddy here as soon as she stabbed batman and actual told us. She did get little screen time as the main villain though.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Damn kkck.......stop being so literal :yelling

But about Bane and Talia. The problem is she wasn't established as anything other than a side character. So to spring her in as THE villain in the last 15 minutes of the movie...uh, no. And I'm not one of those people who hate twists, I just don't like ones that leave me feeling like...that
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I know I am being too literal, I know it is just a movie and I know this is just nolan telling his story. It just kinda bothered me as I saw the movie that if batman had made actually coherent decisions the movie plot would have been implausible. All of it was only possible because of poor, unjustifiable and illogical decisions. And batman is supposed to be a polymath, detective genius.

Even if the batman from the movies was not a rocket scientist (and a chemist, biologist and even other plausible title a scientist could have) he was still a Princeton graduate (I recall reading that somewhere, not quite sure how true that is) and a programer adequate enough to fix the automatic pilot of his batwing. At least he is supposed to have average intelligence.


I guess I am not much of a fan of thalia randomly appearing but I would think the main issue is her actual lack of on screen activity in the final moments. Not sure if the comic book counterpart is supposed to have some trait but it would have been nice if thalia could kick some level of ass. She was just plain suicidal for the most part.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@kkck

Well, if you look at what Talia was able to do throughout the entire film you can say she was an excellent villain. She infiltrated every level of Bruce Wayne's personal life. She not only befriended Wayne, slept with him to gain his feelings and trust, manipulated others around her to do will ultimately forcing Wayne in showing her where the fusion reactor was located. Then showed her true colors in the end. I believe Bruce "settled" for Selina simply because he could no longer have Talia due to you know what :verily I'm certain he had strong feelings for her and to be betrayed in the end must of stung. Talia hurt Bruce Wayne mentally and physically to some extent. The only thing she couldn't do was whoop Bruce's ass like Bane did.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Uhh

That's sort of garbage though. We can look back on all of that and say "oh look at how much of a mastermind she was", but the reality is, her finding out about the reactor was completely up to Bruce Wayne, and all the trust and bonding that occurred happened after that. Her weasling her way into the inner sanctum, so to speak, came across as completely up to chance.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Actually that is a good point. When did she find out about the reactor? If she found out about it when bruce showed it to her then the movie has a major plot hole there(well, yet another one) all because of wayne's poor decisions. Of course, it is also possible she knew all along the reactor was functional seeing as her company was deeply involved with it to begin with
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@thebothofyou

I was under the impression Talia told Bane to use the Wayne's finger prints to make a multitude of risky investments in his name at the stock exchange. A few days later Bruce Wayne and his company become completely broke due to those investments leaving the company vulnerable to hostile take over by John Daggett( who was a pawn being used by Talia and Bane all along) anyway this forces Wayne to reveal the location of the FR and relinquishing power of the company over to her. I don't believe any of this was by chance, but was her cold calculated plan. It's all part of the plan.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
No

But it was chance that Wayne would choose her to act in his stead since he was kicked off the board.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top