Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The last spiderman movie was considerably convoluted to be fair. It had 3 villains, spiderman going through with the simbiote deal, the uncle ben plot points with sandman, 2 love interest for spiderman, the plot points with eddie and the newspaper and so on.... Taking all of that in consideration I would say the movie was reasonably well executed since it could as easily have turned out to be complete nonsense plotwise. How many movies turn out to be mostly coherent with so much stuff going on? Of course the first alternative should have been to clean the script a bit and make venom more important in the movie but since they chose not too it did kinda turned out reasonably well. And to be fair, topher grace did do an acceptable job playing his role. The issue here is that eddie brock does not look like topher at all.

Wasn't flash thompson also a venom in the comic books? The movie did introduce that guy. I think he is an unknown actor but if they give him a role next movie they could easily set him up for it.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
He's only recently become a host for Venom but I doubt you'd ever see it in a movie unless there was a reason for it.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm debating whether or not to go see the new Resident Evil movie when it comes out (trailer below). I've seen all the others, and they don't seem too bad with the exception of the last two films. Who else is familiar with RS movie series? what do y'all think?

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's not Resident Evil. They're entertaining I suppose, but it's a bastardization of the actual franchise.

If they took the story from the first game and made a movie out of it if would work well. Atmospheric, dark, foreboding. But no, they had to add a completely new character and more pewpewlazer....barf
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, it certainly has deviated significantly from the video games. I was not an avid resident evil gamer so I can't say I honestly care about that particular matter. I guess it depends on what your priorities are on the movie. If you want an interesting plot with no holes in it and decent story telling then the movie franchise is probably not for you. If you want to understand the umbrella corporation's business model (which seemingly revolves around turning stakeholders into zombies) then the movie is also somehow not for you either. If you want to see mila jovovich killing zombies (OH HELL YES) then the movie is perhaps (maybe) worth the trip to the movies. As a respectable nerd unfamiliar with the video game franchise I can't say I mind seeing the movie at all (going to the movies on a nightweek is like 3.50 dollars in my country) and I probably have seen worst movies at the movie theater anyways. So yeah, mila jovovich killing zombies it is:guns. On that matter, why don't we have a smiley of mila jovovich killing zombies?!
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I wouldn't take issue with it if Resident Evil wasn't attached to it. It just isn't Resident Evil. Apart from there sort of being a mansions in the first game, Umbrella, some similar characters it doesn't have much to do with the series. They only started adding characters from the games in the movies after the first because fans complained.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
I'm debating whether or not to go see the new Resident Evil movie when it comes out (trailer below). I've seen all the others, and they don't seem too bad with the exception of the last two films. Who else is familiar with RS movie series? what do y'all think?
I'm going, as always. Like xi0 said: those movies are definitely entertaining "but it's a bastardization of the actual franchise". Nonetheless, I love THAT entertainment and I love Alice in Milla Jovovich, and.. well, its still a nice zombie movie xP I don't expect some thinking or sth, I just expect to relax and watch <3
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I haven't seen the last two which were 3D, but the previews made it looks like it was just a demo for 3D...like shit being thrown at the screen. Just seems pretentious. Oh well :lmao
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
@xi0, you did good not going to the last one - 'fourth' one was definitely the most irritating one, and the worse from them all. Still, some sequences were cool. <and the last one was in 3D, the 'third' one wasn't in 3D yet at that time> Still, those movies end in such a fashion that I cannot wait with 'whats next?' thingy : / :p
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
@xi0, you did good not going to the last one - 'fourth' one was definitely the most irritating one, and the worse from them all. Still, some sequences were cool. <and the last one was in 3D, the 'third' one wasn't in 3D yet at that time> Still, those movies end in such a fashion that I cannot wait with 'whats next?' thingy : / :p
Isn't the new one out the fifth one? Because then the fourth and fifth are the ones in 3D. The third one is the one where they're in the desert or something. Didn't see it fully.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Yeah Resident Extinction is the third one. It pretty much sucked, but Mike Epps was in it so that was a bright spot :XD lol in any case I might go in a few weeks to see it lol movie tickets cost over 10$ dollars where I live, so I might put my Sherlock Holmes Internet pirating skills to work :derp

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I read an article not too long ago about Michael Bay is planning on making another Transformers movie in the future. However, he said all the old cast is out (meaning you Shia Labeouf), and wants to take the series in a new direction perhaps in space. What do you guys think about the Michael Bay's previous Transformer films and a possible new film?
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
The Transformers trilogy is epic.















When watched with friends while drunk and/or high. Epic hilarious. Trash talk material at it's best.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I dunno if I like the transformer trilogy. I am mostly familiar with the unicron trilogy and even then I can't say I find the movies to live up to it. I can't really say the action scenes are actually cool either... I mean, they are cool and flashy and stuff but I can't say I am properly able to tell just what is going on there. How can I tell whats going on when in a Michael bay movie 90% of an action sequence has explosions covering 90% of the screen at any given time? Hell, the only action sequence in the second movie in which we could tell what was going on was the one with megan fox running.... which turned back to the 90% thing I mentioned earlier. Plotwise the movies were not precisely epic either. They were just about ok in that department and if the internet has taught me anything is that even that is conceding a lot.

Now, one way or another I wouldn't care for a michael bay reboot. If he was continuing the scenarios it would be tolerable but why should I care about michael bay making a reboot of the series if he has already done 3 movies of it? I would prefer the vision of another director. I wouldn't mind if spielberg actually directed a potential reboot. Also, internet logic, math and probabilities seem to suggest a trend that every movie directed my nolan is objectively awesome so there is that too. Anyways, whatever it is I do hope they make a movie which is closer to the either the original series or the unicron trilogy which I am familiar with. More plot oriented and less 90% explosion with the occasional 5% boob in the middle of it.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Isn't the new one out the fifth one?.
I'm sorry, I thought by saying "the last two" you mean the 'third' and 'fourth' movie installment - not counting the newest one to premiere on 14th :p

I like Transformers.. 1. It was definitely a good, entertaining movie with nice special effects put where they should be put <not counting robots animation per se, just action sequences :p> and quite nice story for teenagers. Some gags where hilarious at its best, usually occuring with Agent Simmons played by Turturro xD <actually, he's one of the best things in ALL Bay's Transformers ^^> Yeah, definitely liked the first one.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the worst of the whole trilogy. I mean: the pace was a disaster at its best, so much action special effects that it makes me laugh <I mean: with such movie its good BUT just consider how LONG they were, like the first action sequence at the beginning of the movie was as LOOONG as the last one from the previous movie, or the last action sequence in 'the second' installment was just sooo long.. and boring for me. Even Bay's Devastator version didn't make my day> The only good thing was definitely beating up Optimus by Decepticons <:p> and.. Agent Simmons and usual gags occuring with him.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon.. I had mixed feelings about that and I didn't went to cinema because.. well, just because.. After it came on dvd I watched it and, well, its definitely better than 'the second' but worse than 'the first'. Pace is much better here than in the previous film and.. well, Turturro always rocks. I didn't even complain about lack of Megan - replacement was good, too xP
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
This particular comedy site had an interesting take on the whole thing about resident evil movies vs the games. Can't really say how right they are but it is worth a laugh (I assume it would be funnier -and more insulting- to people who actually played the games)
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States

I like horror films! understatement I love horror films.


I'm looking to forward to this!

 
Last edited by a moderator:

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
I wiill die if I want see Taken 2, srsly. Liam Neeson ftw!

And I'm waiting for Silent Hill sequel - finally. I'm with those ppl who think that the first SH movie wasn't so bad.. :p I will not go to cinema but stilll.. I will watch it when its out on dvd/br.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Taken 2 seems pretty good based on the trailer. I loved the first one, hopefully the sequel won't disappoint.

Saw resident evil 5 the other day. It was every bit as bad and absurd as expected. Still, mila jovovich killing zombies FTW.

Interestingly, it seems like umbrella corporation was not only absurd due to their nonsensical business models but due to the fact that the thing they were worst at was developing biological weapons in comparison to their ability to develop actual hardware and software. Transparent tablets (in this movie and the last), insane artificial intelligence, underwater and underground facilities. They were a pharmaceutical company who did not use cloning technology for medical purposes for crying out loud.The whole thing is just about as bad as bruce wayne denying for no coherent reason infinite clean energy to the world in the nolan trilogy.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
I loved the first Taken too <though this one will be made by different director so I'm a little nervous.. :p>

kkck said:
Still, mila jovovich killing zombies FTW.
<3

"The whole thing is just about as bad as bruce wayne denying for no coherent reason infinite clean energy to the world in the nolan trilogy."
What you mean by that, kkck? I've seen TDKR and I don't have any idea what you're referring to - yes, he did 'deny' infinite clean energy thingy but he had his reasons if I recall correctly
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Do we still have any anticipated movies for this year? Apart from Skyfall and Lincoln.

By the way RE new movie is just... not what I was expecting. Not worth your time and money unless you're really a huge fan of the franchise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top