Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I saw that movie just now. Well, wasn't it supposed to be exactly like that? Chuck norris cracked me up honestly lol
Yeah you could see that they didn't really take it seriously themself with breaking the forth wall quiet often. And yeah it was just that, even more corpses and bullets shot. Those heads just exploded at the river scene at the beginning... Loved all the sayings.

It by S.King was great as a kid, but to obvious now. Also loved the early Elmstream movies, got goosebumps, Hellraiser may have been good for a bit and as mentioned by xi0 all those japanese movies, and lately a lot of great korean movies. Something like I Saw the Devil or The Chaser is far more shocking for me. Cabin in the Woods was shit.


Have to watch Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy one of these days, it's waiting for weeks already. :(
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well there are the classics, like Halloween. That type of movie isn't bad at all, it's just been done to death. I think the Japanese also do horror really well, The Ring, The Grudge, Audition. I think the first Saw movie was fantastic. I also liked The Blair Witch Project, but that also spawned a bunch of copies, like Paranormal Activity.
Halloween are the ones with mike myers right? Dunno, I can't say I can enjoy a slasher movie the proper way anymore. At this point I just find them to be funny, even the supposedly original ones... they are just so absurdly over the top I can't really help it.

The ring was actually an ok movie. The grudge was terrible IMO. Not scary and featured enough hairy things to be disturbing. I love the first saw movie although I am not too sure if that counted as horror. I don't think gore alone should be enough for a movie to be considered an horror film. I haven't seen the blair which project, for some reason I missed that one.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Yeah you could see that they didn't really take it seriously themself with breaking the forth wall quiet often. And yeah it was just that, even more corpses and bullets shot. Those heads just exploded at the river scene at the beginning... Loved all the sayings.

It by S.King was great as a kid, but to obvious now. Also loved the early Elmstream movies, got goosebumps, Hellraiser may have been good for a bit and as mentioned by xi0 all those japanese movies, and lately a lot of great korean movies. Something like I Saw the Devil or The Chaser is far more shocking for me. Cabin in the Woods was shit.


Have to watch Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy one of these days, it's waiting for weeks already. :(
The puns and expressions gave me a good laugh too.

The best part was chuck norris. Hearing him actually saying one of the chuck norris facts was awesome. I still don't even know how that tank exploded in that one scene.

I never saw the hellraiser series. I think they were never too popular in my country....
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Halloween is the original Slasher movie. It's a perfect movie IMO

I think Audition is better than both The Ring and The Grudge.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The original Halloween is a fairly good slasher movie. The first nightmare on elm street movie was scary. I thought the ring was pretty good. The grudge? eh didn't really faze me too much and the sequel was horrendous. The first saw was extremely good too bad I cant say the same for the others. "IT" is truly a horror classic IMO one of my favorite scary movies. The exorcist is fucking spooky probably the scariest movie I've ever seen that movie still creeps me out to this day. Dawn of the dead(2004) is probably my favorite zombie movie that maintained a certain level of realism that we could relate to and was scary at the same time. The first Alien movie was a masterpiece; I plan on buying the DVD one day.

Honorable mentions: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn, The Strangers, The Descent, and Scream.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Oh yeah, Sinister the movie that recently came out in theaters is scary too. The pacing lags a bit, but a quarter of the way through you start getting freaked out.
 
Last edited:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Jacob's Ladder. Now that's a good horror movie!
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I saw the strangers and to me that was the perfect proof that I could not conceivably ever enjoy a slasher movie. I ended up ruining the mood of the damn thing at the movies as every supposedly "scary" scene was outright ridiculous and borderline hilarious.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's hard for me to put Zombie movies in the same category as most other Horror movies...for some reason. I see them more as a survival/struggle movie than Horror. That's just me. I think Dawn of the Dead, even the remake was great. 28 Days Later is a great Zombie movie, pretty unique.

I didn't think The Exorcist was that scary either. Parts of it were even comical to me.

The first Kruger movie was indeed good, before they turned him into a comedic character. But I still pick Halloween over any of those other slasher flicks.


Anyone who is a horror fan should watch Audition. Really unique movie.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Audition? I'm surprised I've never heard of it even do I do like watching horror films all the time...what is it about?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

I saw the strangers and to me that was the perfect proof that I could not conceivably ever enjoy a slasher movie. I ended up ruining the mood of the damn thing at the movies as every supposedly "scary" scene was outright ridiculous and borderline hilarious.
Which parts did you find ridiculous and hilarious?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke

It's sort of like if Fatal Attraction and Play Misty For Me had a kid, and then that kid got married to and had a kid with Satan :XD

Not for the faint of heart, but it's disturbing as hell.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Audition? I'm surprised I've never heard of it even do I do like watching horror films all the time...what is it about?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------



Which parts did you find ridiculous and hilarious?
I can't remember the specifics right now (saw the movie just about a year ago) but basically the whole setting... The stupid couple, the pseudo scary parts where the 3 guys just randomly appeared from shadows... hell, basically any part where the bad guys appeared out of nowhere to kill stuff... I guess I am just completely insensitive to this sort of movie nowadays.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
We used to watch this 1988 classic again and again for some reason, we just loved to scream, maybe. This was a really creepy movie when I was a kid.


Well if you're in to creepy movies then the Vengeance Trilogy is the right one for you. Not so much as scary like The Ring or The Grudge kinda thing, but more on the mindfuck disturbing craziest scenes and stories you'd ever encounter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Not for the faint of heart, but it's disturbing as hell.
Can't remember all of it, but it was good and creepy, as most of Miikes movies before he's started to do "normal" movies too. His Zebraman weirded me out somehow, crazy². I still can't get myself to watch Visitor Q, skipping through the disturbing scenes puts me off every single time.

Well if you're in to creepy movies then the Vengeance Trilogy is the right one for you.
Chan-wook Park seems to be one of the last great horror directors, have to say I'm quiet excited for Stoker.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, don't bother with it. Pretty average and nothing exciting about it.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
That Stoker is indeed curious... that the director of Old Boy hailing from Korea would be working with such actresses as Nicole Kidman!

I'm impressed, I never expected it.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Official synopsis for Kick-Ass 2:

Kick-Ass, Hit Girl and Red Mist return for the follow-up to 2010′s irreverent global hit: Kick-Ass 2. After Kick-Ass' (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) insane bravery inspires a new wave of self-made masked crusaders, led by the badass Colonel Stars and Stripes (Jim Carrey), our hero joins them on patrol. When these amateur superheroes are hunted down by Red Mist (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) — reborn as The Mother F%&*^r — only the blade-wielding Hit Girl (Chloë Grace Moretz) can prevent their annihilation.

When we last saw junior assassin Hit Girl and young vigilante Kick-Ass, they were trying to live as normal teenagers Mindy and Dave. With graduation looming and uncertain what to do, Dave decides to start the world's first superhero team with Mindy. Unfortunately, when Mindy is busted for sneaking out as Hit Girl, she's forced to retire-leaving her to navigate the terrifying world of high-school mean girls on her own. With no one left to turn to, Dave joins forces with Justice Forever, run by a born-again ex-mobster named Colonel Stars and Stripes.

Just as they start to make a real difference on the streets, the world's first super villain, The Mother F%&*^r, assembles his own evil league and puts a plan in motion to make Kick-Ass and Hit Girl pay for what they did to his dad. But there's only one problem with his scheme: If you mess with one member of Justice Forever, you mess with them all.

- io9.com​
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anyone seen Prometheus? Sci fi movie that came out earlier this year? I thought it was pretty good.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I was so hyped for it, even more so than The Avengers. But I heard really mixed things about it and just decided to wait for it to come out on DVD. I'll try to see it soon.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It wasn't the blockbuster that I imagined, the trailer is far to misleading, animation and quality was great, but it's really nothing special. So all in all, it won't have nearly the same impact on the world as Alien did.

I've got to see Madagascar 3 yesterday, didn't have any hopes after the trailer, but a friend got us to watch and it was so funny! The middle suffered a bit, but that's negligible.
The problem I saw was that they have nearly no real hardships aside from
.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I had massive expectations for Prometheus, but it failed to deliver. It looked great, but overall it was pretty average sci-fi horror. How many dumb scientists fit in a spacecraft?... too many. Only brilliant thing in the film was Fassbenders android character, but even that wasn't flawless as his motivations for some seemingly non-sensical actions were never explained. The few first minutes of the film just raised my expectations. Then i fell flat.

Kick-Ass was awesome, but the synopsis doesn't really impress me... And I've never liked Jim Carrey.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I thought It was a great film in terms of what it set out to do. We knew this movie wasn't a prequel nor sequel to the original Alien movie, Scott Ridley said he wanted to tell another story similar to Alien set in same universe and he achieved that. The film may not of hit the same horror highs as Alien did, but we got a lot of valuable information about the space jockeys and how the Alien xenomorph's came to be. Not to mention the entire films looks absolutely fantastic. It doesn't rely heavily on the dread and uneasiness feelings like Alien did, but in it's stead you get a lot of suspense and mystery to fill the film atmosphere. I like those films that leave us wondering and wanting more that's why I cant wait for the sequel. I don't understand why so many people became disappointed with this film after seeing it. I've seen a lot of movies this year and it's definitely in my top 5.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top